Make Noise 7U power supply question

Cwejman, Livewire, TipTop Audio, Doepfer etc... Get your euro on!

Moderators: Kent, Joe., analogdigital, infradead, lisa, parasitk, plord

userfriendly
Common Wiggler

Make Noise 7U power supply question

Post by userfriendly » Tue Nov 06, 2018 5:09 pm

I've searched the other threads on this without too much luck and I reached out to Make Noise.

Make Noise was very helpful and quick to reply. They are wonderful.

Anyway, my problem is that I love the case so much, but throwing in an ER-301 and a few other power hungry monsters eats up the power supply pretty quickly. Make Noise could not recommend a different power supply because it will not have been tested by them plus it would void the warranty. I completely understand why they have to take this stance. They also suggested that I do not install something like a uZues for supplemental power because it had negative effects on modules like the Rene and PP. I don't have either of those modules, so I tried it. :goo:

No issues that I can tell. However, I am losing a whopping 4hp. Also, they have put the fear in me and I worry that something weird could happen to other modules with the uZues in there.

What are your suggestions? I would really hate to lose the case over this. But if that is the bottom line....well I may have to give a teary eyed wave good-bye to the CV bus and wonderful case.

bemerritt
Veteran Wiggler

Post by bemerritt » Tue Nov 06, 2018 5:12 pm

You could always just upgrade the powered busboard, no?

bemerritt
Veteran Wiggler

Post by bemerritt » Tue Nov 06, 2018 5:17 pm

should be able to drop this right in and still take advantage to the power plug on the case. Just make sure to use a properly rated brick.

https://intellijel.com/shop/power/tripl ... -busboard/

userfriendly
Common Wiggler

Post by userfriendly » Tue Nov 06, 2018 5:19 pm

bemerritt wrote:You could always just upgrade the powered busboard, no?
That's what I thought. But, like I said, Make Noise couldn't recommend it. I would be okay with voiding the warranty, but i am having trouble figuring out how to go about finding a compatible bus board. My knowledge of power in eurorack is next to none, and I am deathly afraid of frying my rig do to a stupid mistake on my part.

edit: missed the link. Reading up now.

userfriendly
Common Wiggler

Post by userfriendly » Tue Nov 06, 2018 5:23 pm

oh wow. that was easy. I feel stupid now. Thank you for that. :hail: :bang:

bemerritt
Veteran Wiggler

Post by bemerritt » Tue Nov 06, 2018 5:27 pm

Iactually have a shared system coming my way this week, so im not entirely sure how they have the inside board hooked up. But it could be as easy as unhooking the positive and negative wires from the existing board and connecting them to the terminals of the intellijel board.

I wouldnt worry too much about voiding the warranty, because if you aren't using their power, what is the warranty really for? I guess the cv bus, but i wouldn't sweat it.

userfriendly
Common Wiggler

Post by userfriendly » Tue Nov 06, 2018 5:31 pm

bemerritt wrote:Iactually have a shared system coming my way this week, so im not entirely sure how they have the inside board hooked up. But it could be as easy as unhooking the positive and negative wires from the existing board and connecting them to the terminals of the intellijel board.

I wouldnt worry too much about voiding the warranty, because if you aren't using their power, what is the warranty really for? I guess the cv bus, but i wouldn't sweat it.
Jealous. I am so curious about what that system would be like to work with. It just seems so well thought out and inspiring.

I emailed intellijel to see what they say. Thank you so much. I was getting stuck.

jox2000
Learning to Wiggle

Post by jox2000 » Tue Nov 06, 2018 6:08 pm

Besides loosing 4 HP there should be no negative effect using your uzeus as a supplemental power source. of course you need the second brick for the uzeus and maybe you could run into some grounding issues, but i wouldn't worry about damaging anything. i have 3 other cases connected to the 7U with their own power supplies and never had a problem doing that.
(but i never was a big fan of the Uzeus, cause it always was the noisiest power a had)

userfriendly
Common Wiggler

Post by userfriendly » Tue Nov 06, 2018 6:20 pm

jox2000 wrote:Besides loosing 4 HP there should be no negative effect using your uzeus as a supplemental power source. of course you need the second brick for the uzeus and maybe you could run into some grounding issues, but i wouldn't worry about damaging anything. i have 3 other cases connected to the 7U with their own power supplies and never had a problem doing that.
(but i never was a big fan of the Uzeus, cause it always was the noisiest power a had)
Yes a grounding issue was the only thing I could think of as well. I think I might try out the Intellijel bus board. I hate to lose the 4hp and have to deal with the other power brick. I like to be able to move around with as much eash as possible.

Cheers

JohnLRice

Post by JohnLRice » Tue Nov 06, 2018 6:55 pm

Sorry if I missed it but what are the specifics? Meaning what is the maximum amount of current draw you anticipate needing and what can your system deliver now etc?

It's hard to recommend anything without know what you might need. It's like saying I'm enjoying wearing my Levi's jeans right now but I plan on eating a lot during the holidays s0 what new pants should I buy? :hihi:

Mungo
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Mungo » Tue Nov 06, 2018 8:50 pm

userfriendly wrote:
jox2000 wrote:Besides loosing 4 HP there should be no negative effect using your uzeus as a supplemental power source. of course you need the second brick for the uzeus and maybe you could run into some grounding issues, but i wouldn't worry about damaging anything. i have 3 other cases connected to the 7U with their own power supplies and never had a problem doing that.
Yes a grounding issue was the only thing I could think of as well. I think I might try out the Intellijel bus board. I hate to lose the 4hp and have to deal with the other power brick. I like to be able to move around with as much eash as possible.

Cheers
Note that the Intellijel board has a different mounting hole pattern so you'll need to figure out how to mount it securely without interfering with the old screw locations. The power board I sell does line up with several popular mounting patterns and drops right into the Make Noise case without modifications.

Not having multiple bricks is convenient, another option would be to add another powered bus board inside the case and run them both off the same inlet and brick. If there isn't space for another matching Make Noise supply, the Tip Top zeus studio is narrower and uses the same voltage supply.

LTodd
Common Wiggler

Post by LTodd » Tue Nov 06, 2018 11:24 pm

Mungo wrote:
userfriendly wrote:

Cheers
Note that the Intellijel board has a different mounting hole pattern so you'll need to figure out how to mount it securely without interfering with the old screw locations. The power board I sell does line up with several popular mounting patterns and drops right into the Make Noise case without modifications.

Not having multiple bricks is convenient, another option would be to add another powered bus board inside the case and run them both off the same inlet and brick. If there isn't space for another matching Make Noise supply, the Tip Top zeus studio is narrower and uses the same voltage supply.
In my MN case the board is attached using these:

https://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/56 ... 561-LAD375

It's an easy install and no big deal. The Intellijel TPS80 board is excellent, I would recommend it as well, and the mounting pegs posted above work with it very well.

userfriendly
Common Wiggler

Post by userfriendly » Wed Nov 07, 2018 8:40 am

LTodd wrote:
Mungo wrote:
userfriendly wrote:

Cheers

In my MN case the board is attached using these:

https://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/56 ... 561-LAD375

It's an easy install and no big deal. The Intellijel TPS80 board is excellent, I would recommend it as well, and the mounting pegs posted above work with it very well.
Oh man those are perfect! Thank you! I just ordered a bunch.

exper
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by exper » Wed Nov 07, 2018 9:55 am

Yeah those adhesive ones work well. I’m using them in my goike 12u folding case with has aluminum boats with welded in standoffs for the MN busboard. I ripped those out and put in Intellijel tps-80 power supplies and my system Has much less noise and has plenty of power headroom.
Current system:
http://www.modulargrid.net/e/racks/view/5549

FS/T: Various Euro:
https://www.muffwiggler.com/forum/viewt ... p?t=221800

userfriendly
Common Wiggler

Post by userfriendly » Tue Nov 13, 2018 7:52 pm

exper wrote:Yeah those adhesive ones work well. I’m using them in my goike 12u folding case with has aluminum boats with welded in standoffs for the MN busboard. I ripped those out and put in Intellijel tps-80 power supplies and my system Has much less noise and has plenty of power headroom.

So I got the TPS80, and a 4ms90 watt power brick, but when I put it in the Make Noise case the -12V LED was not lighting up on the TPS80. I thought it was weird but couldn't find anything on the Intellijel website. Erb-verb powered up seemingly okay...But the CV bus had ALL the lights on and a intellijel uVCA did the same thing. So I took the TPS 80 out and put the make noise supply back in and everything was okay.

Any ideas?

exper
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by exper » Tue Nov 13, 2018 8:06 pm

userfriendly wrote:
exper wrote:Yeah those adhesive ones work well. I’m using them in my goike 12u folding case with has aluminum boats with welded in standoffs for the MN busboard. I ripped those out and put in Intellijel tps-80 power supplies and my system Has much less noise and has plenty of power headroom.

So I got the TPS80, and a 4ms90 watt power brick, but when I put it in the Make Noise case the -12V LED was not lighting up on the TPS80. I thought it was weird but couldn't find anything on the Intellijel website. Erb-verb powered up seemingly okay...But the CV bus had ALL the lights on and a intellijel uVCA did the same thing. So I took the TPS 80 out and put the make noise supply back in and everything was okay.

Any ideas?
You didn’t buy the brick for the Intellijel power?
Current system:
http://www.modulargrid.net/e/racks/view/5549

FS/T: Various Euro:
https://www.muffwiggler.com/forum/viewt ... p?t=221800

userfriendly
Common Wiggler

Post by userfriendly » Tue Nov 13, 2018 8:20 pm

exper wrote:
userfriendly wrote:

Any ideas?

Sure didn’t. Somehow I managed to screw that up. Either way, I don’t entirely understand why that would be the issue? Am I a fool for thinking as such?

jwm
Veteran Wiggler

Post by jwm » Tue Nov 13, 2018 8:26 pm

exper wrote:
userfriendly wrote:

Any ideas?
yeah, i would def grab that meanwell brick that intellijel supplies for the TPS80.

another thing to consider here, that hasn't been mentioned yet, is if you do get that brick, research the barrel connector on the MN case, because that MW brick needs a 2.5mm DC jack (the 40/60 one uses a 2.1mm jack) - not sure what the MN one is, may not fit...

userfriendly
Common Wiggler

Post by userfriendly » Tue Nov 13, 2018 8:37 pm

repost

userfriendly
Common Wiggler

Post by userfriendly » Tue Nov 13, 2018 8:41 pm

jwm wrote:
exper wrote:
userfriendly wrote:

Any ideas?
yeah, i would def grab that meanwell brick that intellijel supplies for the TPS80.

another thing to consider here, that hasn't been mentioned yet, is if you do get that brick, research the barrel connector on the MN case, because that MW brick needs a 2.5mm DC jack (the 40/60 one uses a 2.1mm jack) - not sure what the MN one is, may not fit...
Gotcha. I'll look into that.

So it does make sense why the -12v rail wouldnt be powering? I still dont entirely get that.

jwm
Veteran Wiggler

Post by jwm » Tue Nov 13, 2018 9:08 pm

not off the top of my head, hard to say without looking at the specs/data sheets for all the bricks involved in the discussion and the intellijel board, and what modules you are powering.

deadAMps
Learning to Wiggle

Post by deadAMps » Fri Nov 29, 2019 1:08 pm

I'm looking to do this with a MN case. Did you get the proper brick? Is it a different barrel size? -12v rail sorted?

khyber
Wiggling with Experience

Post by khyber » Thu Dec 19, 2019 12:29 pm

I'm looking to do this as well with a MN 7U case. Did all go well eventually?

indigoid
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by indigoid » Fri Dec 20, 2019 8:40 am

also worth noting that those power inlet barrel jacks have a maximum current rating... typically 5A or lower. Intellijel would have chosen the jack they use (and the corresponding connector on the Meanwell brick) with care for ratings and safety.

You can't assume that the connector used by Make Noise has a sufficiently high current rating for a TPS80W. It probably doesn't.

Make Noise use different power inlet jacks on their 7U (15V/4.3A) and powered skiff (15V/2.67A) cases so you can't mix them up.

Really unless you are that keen on the CV bus I'd just get a different case that does what you want out of the box.

Don't take chances on ratings and safety.
Zap him again! ZAP THE SONOFABITCH AGAIN!

Return to “Eurorack Modules”