MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Building this in 5U? (mixer/ring mod/sub bass) ??
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> 5U Format Modules  
Author Building this in 5U? (mixer/ring mod/sub bass) ??
Rex Coil 7
Yet another entry in my quest to build a very nice pre-VCF mixer (last time it was using the Oakley ODII on the output of a passive mixer):

This is the AJH Synth "Ring SM":

LINK = http://analoguehaven.com/ajhsynth/ringsm/

It seems to be one hell of a mixer rig. Of interest are the details in the paragraphs with bold headers regarding;

*** "discrete transistor mixer"

*** "distortion and asymmetric distortion module"

*** "asymmetric distortion feature"

The ring modulator portion is ~fine~ but that is easily emulated, and the sub bass feature is also nice (I'm kinda "yea yea ring mod sub bass bla bla whatever" about those features of this) ... but what interests me the most are the features I've presented above. What the heck is going on with all of that? The "negative feedback loop" (say what?) and all of the other thingies going on described in those three particular paragraphs I've presented above.

What would it take to emulate this using 5U guts? Most of you are familiar with the dual feedback loops I use in every instance of use of the Dot Com Q113-type PCBs in my project synth. There's a dedicated "negative" output available on the Q113 PCB itself, would that be of any use in efforts to emulate this AJH mixer? Would it be worth the effort?

I have a couple of Q113 PCBs, a few CP3 mixer PCBs, a few passive ring mod PCBs and parts for all of that on hand (jsyk).

ACK! d'oh!

Thankies. we're not worthy
josaka
love the sound of this module.. wish it was avaiable for 5u..

you could get a big part of the sound if you use the CGS sub osc..could add an oakley ring mod and a cp3 circuit..
but I still think you would be short of this module in some areas..

far the easiest way would be to repanel/repower one of theirs..
its a very unique module .. you could do something along these lines but it short of redoing a pcb it would be pretty tricky to have all the elements..

dont think passive ring mods will get you there.. smile
josaka
was just messing around with the CGS sub osc.. what a great module that thing is !!.. I would say the majority of the SM ring mods killer sound is the sub osc section.. can transform any sound into a pumping squelching heaving throng.. the sub osc really IS a funk box..

also see the sub osc in the MOTM-120 and the mighty Corsynth C103
https://corsynth.com/home/modules/c103mkii
Rex Coil 7
Super great infos, bro-hambone! I've been tryin' like hell to keep all of my audio signal chain out of the Euro cabinet, and so far I've been able to eek that out. Uh .. almost. I totally choked on the "no audio in the Euro cab" rule when I caved in and bought the Mutable Instruments WARPS.

However in my own defense I'll be using the WARPS with my rack synths and not the 5U (3 E-MUs and one Nord Micro Modular, which isn't a rack synth ... BUT DEAL WITH IT ALREADY!). I need one more Q118 Instrument Interface in addition to the Q118 I already have to finish the input stage for the rack synth-into-WARPS rig, and it's pretty much done.

Test skiff used to experiment with running the E-MUs through the WARPS ... I used a pair of gain boosters on the inputs to get the E-MUs' gain up to be playing nice with the WARPS. So far, so yummy!

What on Earth has that to do with the AJH Mixer? Well, I suppose that is a prelude to the excuses I'll be espousing should I elect to use one of the AJH Mixers with my 5U project synth.

Hmmm ... the coffee is kicking in a little here, since I've already started working out the gear needed to run the audio output of the rack synths into the WARPS .... why couldn't a fella just create some basic wave form presets with the E-MUs or the Nord, run them into the Q118s, then just use those signals as if they were any other Euro VCOs and take advantage of the AJH Mixer (and/or the WARPS, and a few other things I spy with my little eye).

One other thing I'm eyeballing HARD is a pair of Oakley Journeyman filters set up as a Dual VCF Ensemble (similar to the Q107/Q150 thingy I've made up).

So ... how to make it all work together ...

*** Journeyman Dual Filter Ensemble.
*** WARPS.
*** AJH Mixer.
*** External MIDI synths as "VCOs" (E-MUs and Nord).

There's some mighty mightiness happenin' with all of that. Now, how to go about harnessing it all so I can throw a saddle on it and ride that bitch ....

Hmmm ... hmmm.....

("OH ... I see a man in the back as matter of fact..." Ballroom Blitz on the 'net radio). It's motherfucking bacon yo
josaka
those intelligel dual ADSR are lovely to play on ..
maybe there should be a challenge thread.. how can I get the sound of this euro module from my 5u.. smile
Rex Coil 7
josaka wrote:
those intelligel dual ADSR are lovely to play on ..
maybe there should be a challenge thread.. how can I get the sound of this euro module from my 5u.. smile
And vice verse .... https://www.muffwiggler.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=209175&highlight=

Yea, I really like those Intellijel Dual ADSR envelopes. I have two, which provides four envelopes. I'd like to have two more of those modules, that would allow me to create four "modulation sections" that are comprised of a MATHS, a Doepfer Quad VCA/Mixer, and an Intellijel Dual ADSR in each of those "sections". I already have four MATHS, four Quad VCA/Mixers, just need two more Dual ADSRs and I'd have four ~mod sections~.

There's some really excellent stuff in Euro these days. Befaco offers some very well thought out and tasteful devices (their voltage controlled ADSR is a treat ... there is a CV input for each stage and a GATE out for each stage as well. so when (let's say) the attack stage times out a gate is fired and sent out of a dedicated "Attack Gate Out" jack. Same for ~decay~ ... ~sustain~ ... and ~release~. So nice. Stuff like that makes you think about things differently. I'd like to see envelopes like that in 5U as well ... but the ~space required~ issue starts raising it's head. Which is precisely why I feel that hybrid modular synths are the best thing going (specifically Euro + MU). It's kindof the same ethos as the modulation matrix hiding under that flap on the Yamaha CS-80, or the preset drawers on the Yamaha GX-1. Big, useful, large, spacious controls for the performance stuff on the panel, and little controls and settings for functions requiring less access. My project modular is designed with the same approach.

(now playing ... live version of "Whole lotta Rosie" by AC/DC ... damn that song rocks!) Rawk!
josaka
I have these.. smile

I struggle by.. smile
Rex Coil 7
josaka wrote:
I have these.. smile

I struggle by.. smile
Yea, poor you! I'm sure you're able to just get by. Geez, it must be really hard being you. Oh, the horror .... the horror. lol
Dr Gris
The STG EG with the sidecar has some advanced features in MU format.

//M
ranix
I just got my STG with sidecar but haven't installed it yet due to being in the middle of reorganizing my office. I'm really looking forward to using it, it's my first VC EG. Very exciting.
josaka
try running 2 LFO .. one into the A one into the D ..
all sorts of demonic shapes !
in my case I am running two osc from a Jupiter storm which has 1 CV in per Osc(or a master CV or both) so you can further modulate each osc seperately.
..which is nice (one of my main uses for the Storm..)
Rex Coil 7
josaka wrote:
try running 2 LFO .. one into the A one into the D ..
... you sicko ... (damn that seems like it would be extra bitchen !!). thumbs up
JohnLRice
This may not apply but I noticed the following thread and thought some DIYers here might have some interest?
https://www.muffwiggler.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=209355

It's a 4x4 matrix mixer PCB you can get for $15 and they can be chained together. Of course it's for +-12v which isn't too big of a deal to overcome but it's so new there are no reviews of it yet so, proceed with caution. I have long used the Circuit Abbey stereo mixers in my eurorack systems though since they are very quiet with nice features so if I was in the market for something like this I'd give it a chance.

Rex Coil 7
Oy ... not this shit again

Ugh ... just when I thought I was going towards simpler.

$39.00 bucks for board and panel. The siren song of DIY calls .... again.

godzilla!
Niv
I started cloning Moog 5U modules in the early 70s due to the fact that I couldn't afford a Synthesizer 15 ($3495/1974), Synthesizer 35 ($5395/1974), or a Synthesizer 55 ($8795/1974) at that time. And then a family intervened... you know the story.

So my goal is to finish basic Moog modules built to the original specs/schematics (e.g. +12V/-6V) to use as a sound/audio baseline, and then add my own custom modules. Others in various stages of build are a 904A,B,C filter set, 902 VCA, 914 FFB (toroid-based). Custom modules to be added are a 9238 (1125 S&H, 903A RSG), 9211 (Dual 5-stage envelope generator), 9250 (905 Spring Reverb,Analog Delay), 9840 (CP3-based 8-channel matrix mixer with tone controls), and many more.

Pictures to follow.
Huba-Swift
Niv wrote:
I started cloning Moog 5U modules in the early 70s due to the fact that I couldn't afford a Synthesizer 15 ($3495/1974), Synthesizer 35 ($5395/1974), or a Synthesizer 55 ($8795/1974) at that time. And then a family intervened... you know the story.

So my goal is to finish basic Moog modules built to the original specs/schematics (e.g. +12V/-6V) to use as a sound/audio baseline, and then add my own custom modules. Others in various stages of build are a 904A,B,C filter set, 902 VCA, 914 FFB (toroid-based). Custom modules to be added are a 9238 (1125 S&H, 903A RSG), 9211 (Dual 5-stage envelope generator), 9250 (905 Spring Reverb,Analog Delay), 9840 (CP3-based 8-channel matrix mixer with tone controls), and many more.

Pictures to follow.
Your post may be a little off topic, but I have to say I'm intrigued! a DIY original Moog modular is something that has crossed my mind as a project and I think would be a really neat undertaking. I'm looking forward to updates as you go along with this. Maybe even start your own build thread?
Anyways, Welcome to Muff Wiggler! w00t
Rex Coil 7
Niv wrote:
I started cloning Moog 5U modules in the early 70s .... So my goal is to finish basic Moog modules built to the original specs/schematics .... Pictures to follow.

Huba-Swift wrote:
Your post may be a little off topic ..... Maybe even start your own build thread?
Most appropriate. cookie?!?

Huba-Swift wrote:
...Anyways, Welcome to Muff Wiggler! w00t
Indeed! Welcome Home. nodnod
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> 5U Format Modules  
Page 1 of 1