Cocoquantus Mic Preamp Issue

home of post-70s electronics

Moderators: Kent, bartlebooth

KhanElectronic
Learning to Wiggle

Cocoquantus Mic Preamp Issue

Post by KhanElectronic » Wed Nov 07, 2018 11:12 pm

I never really used the mic preamp on my Cocoquantus before, generally just used the contact mic or 3.5mm jack inputs. I got a new SM57, and ran it into the xlr input, and patched it into the left and right cocos. However, I get no sound unless I really shout into the mic and dime the preamp and coco input level, at which point the preamp clips like crazy. The mic works just fine into any other preamp. The fact that only the loudest clipping-level sound gets through made me think that something was up with the dolby filters, some kind of extra-high threshold gate or something. But, I tried all the dolby switch positions, to the same result. :bang: No other jacks on the cocoquantus were patched during this, just the mic to the coco inputs.

Am I doing something wrong? Is it broken? :( Any and all help would be wonderful!

Hainbach
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Hainbach » Thu Nov 08, 2018 3:29 am

Did you use the right output on the preamp? Sounds like you might have patched the envelope follower. Else, an SM57 is fine with gain on the pre at about noon or 1-2 o'clock

lilskullymane
Learning to Wiggle

Re: Cocoquantus Mic Preamp Issue

Post by lilskullymane » Mon Aug 03, 2020 5:23 pm

hey, was having this exact same issue and was wondering if anyone had any suggestions or if that’s just how the xlr input works. brand new coco 2 and sm57 -

can only get sound while recording and it sounds very quiet with white banana out > green banana ins + mic out and input gain cranked cw. running synths into stereo in and piezo sounds as expected. thanks!

Return to “Ciat-Lonbarde”