thinking of making large amounts of pedals

Any music gear discussions that don't fit into one of the other forums.

Moderators: Kent, Joe., analogdigital, infradead, lisa, parasitk, plord

blz
Ultra Wiggler

thinking of making large amounts of pedals

Post by blz » Thu Nov 06, 2008 4:16 am

ok so im not the maker but my freind wants to make a bunch of pedals like the sqaurewave pardes teaspoon and sell them but wants to know what features should he add itll be dsp based

heres the teaspoon pedal

http://thesquarewaveparade.com/teaspoon.html

Kent
Large Member

Post by Kent » Thu Nov 06, 2008 7:42 am

CV control for everything possible.

Momentary and latching bypass switching.

Ability to serve as a stompbox and/or modular in that the form factor and power supply can be adapted to the shape & voltage requirements.

Throw in a couple of 'bend' switches like the Tyme Sefari's "A Sound of Thunder".

Don't make them out of 'unobtanium' like the Teaspoon.

wetterberg
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by wetterberg » Thu Nov 06, 2008 10:27 am

and, most importantly, make them *different*.

I really can't stress enough how many distortions, overdrives, etc there are out there. Must be litteraly thousands of different makes.

Make it different, make it count, make it moddable/expandable, give it cv, even if that requires more a/d.

definitely add on "bend switches", like Kent says, and do what you can to access parameters in various ways, like feedback structures - making the feedback amount dependant on the lenght of the delay, that sort of thing.

a.

zerosum
Modulation Maniac

Post by zerosum » Fri Nov 07, 2008 8:16 pm

CV for everything

JohnLRice

Post by JohnLRice » Fri Nov 07, 2008 9:46 pm

zerosum wrote:CV for everything
Make the control voltage voltage controllable!!! :hyper:

felix
Loves the manuals!

Post by felix » Fri Nov 07, 2008 10:37 pm

I'd like to have as much CV as possible as well, but don't forget, the major pedal buying markets are going to be:

guitar players
"noise" guys

Modular dudes are probably going to fit somewhere in between, but those are going to be your core group of buyers, but point is, the above two groups probably don't put a huge stock in control voltage.

Depending on the type of pedal (like the Squarewave Parade ones) you might swing one way or the other (in the case of SWP, it's going to swing more to the noise guys).
dress yourself for the public. you now must exit your home and acquire a dental mirror and lubrication!
i recommend a hat, or a helmet. if a helmet, ensure that it is both convincing and unbiased. -citizen mori
https://www.modulargrid.net/e/racks/view/78959
https://www.modulargrid.net/e/racks/view/225002
https://jimdrones.bandcamp.com

dkcg
I pity the fool w/o enough VCAs

Post by dkcg » Sat Nov 08, 2008 1:08 am

Some sort of port, maybe an RS-232 port, should be plenty around, could maybe be offered as a universal CV expansion device to cater to the guitarist noise dudes, but also offer CV as an option, maybe a pedal matrix a la synthi. You'd have to plan a lot though. But it would be a cool modular pedal system, maybe the pedalboard junkies would like something like that too. You could get some crazy feedback loops that way, and no other way really would be possible easily w/o tons of patching. Come to think of it...I want a Synthi. :doh:

Cat-A-Tonic
Lobsters love Muff

Post by Cat-A-Tonic » Sat Nov 08, 2008 8:18 am

For the guitarists you can just call the CV jacks 'expression pedal' inputs.
Alot of those dudes love 'wah' control.
...and then there's Zvex with the wacky theremin controls.

That is another direction you could go in.
Add lots of cv options on your pedals, but also offer cv controller 'expression' pedals, joysticks, mini-sequencers, and theremin thingies to interface with them.

After seeing a bunch of 'noise' guys with pedal rigs, and then a couple with modular rigs it became apparent that one is more advantageous to sound manipulation than the other.
It seems that alot of people stick with pedals to limit expenses, but I think quite a few tread the line with a bit of cv.
Frostwave, Moogerfooger, and Metasonix have cv ins.
I think these are kind of like gateway gear. :rastanana:

dkcg
I pity the fool w/o enough VCAs

Post by dkcg » Sat Nov 08, 2008 1:26 pm

Cat-A-Tonic wrote: Frostwave, Moogerfooger, and Metasonix have cv ins.
I think these are kind of like gateway gear. :rastanana:
Moogerfooger started it for me. First a moogerfooger, then I wanted a CP-251, then I saw what modulars can do. End game.

I think once you discover the joys of modulating with an LFO, and like it, you are destined to end up in modularland.

That reminds me, back to the subject...it would be sweet if all his pedals had a LFO with attenuation built in, especially if the CV input interacted with the LFO.

blz
Ultra Wiggler

Post by blz » Mon Nov 10, 2008 3:15 am

ok so the guy hos going to be building this stuff is out of the country right now so ill talk to him when he comes back and we ill go over all the details

A Dingleberry Monstrosity
eat the kids first

Post by A Dingleberry Monstrosity » Tue Nov 11, 2008 6:11 pm

JohnLRice wrote:
zerosum wrote:CV for everything
Make the control voltage voltage controllable!!! :hyper:
CV ATTENUATION WOOOOOO!!!!!!!

blz
Ultra Wiggler

Post by blz » Sun Nov 16, 2008 5:11 pm

ok what about a cv in like on the wmd pedals would that be good enough for the modular guys????

wetterberg
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by wetterberg » Sun Nov 16, 2008 5:21 pm

blz wrote:ok what about a cv in like on the wmd pedals would that be good enough for the modular guys????
It does seem like the WMDs have a nice helping of inputs, but in general just think of shoving as many control options in there as possible.

Return to “General Gear”