MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Information
Happy holidays! Please see the year-end funding drive post in the Announcements subforum. Thanks and all my love to you beautiful people.

Is Novation Peak a good companion to a eurorack case?
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> General Gear Goto page 1, 2  Next [all]
Author Is Novation Peak a good companion to a eurorack case?
jadrowsky88
Hope this question doesn't sound too noobish or naive but I'm looking for a polysynth that can expand the sonic palette of my eurorack and I'm contemplating the idea of getting a novation peak.

Is there anyone using peak with eurorack? how do you integrate it in your system and how do you route your midi signal/clock (I see peak has a cv input but still didn't understand its use reading reviews and the specs on the novation site) I think, (I hope I'm wrong) that this cv input it's a sort of an attempt to blink to modular users market but still don't get why is not "traditionally" controllable through cv/gate

2) do you see it a good companion too eurorack in terms of workflow? 3) where do you think peak shines more in a studio situation or live?

4) can you post some videos (ideally of idm/glitch/BoC sounds territory which would confirm me that peak is an istant buy? thanks

5) what would be good alternatives for a polysynth around the same price?
jonne74
Not really an answer, but I reserved a Novation 49SL mk3 yesterday. It has CV/gate outputs for Eurorack. It has sequencing built in too, if you want to keep it DAWless.
Panason
It is not "traditionally " controllable by cv because it is polyphonic, and because MIDI exists.

I think at that price point it may be the best sounding polysynth out there..
Muzone
From what I can gather, having looked into getting a Peak, the CV input is used via the modulation matrix and can be used in combination with any of the internal modulation sources.
I have also seen a Novation vid where the CV input is used to pass audio through the Peak's effects and filter.
Will be getting one as soon as my end of year bonus arrives smile
locust_locust
The madness of making a synth that is almost 19" wide and purposeful making it non-rackmountable meant I ruled it out.

Did I err?
Muzone
I'm always a bit skeptical about rack mounting desktop synths, unless the connectors are duplicated on the base or cunningly angled/recessed you always lose 1 maybe 2 rack spaces.
I'd just fit a sliding drawer if I wanted it in a rack box, that's what I did with my Nova and that actually came with a rack ear kit.
BenA718
Peak is on my short list for my synth purchase this year; I absolutely love this synth! I do currently have several poly synths that I use with my Eurorack (Roland JV, E-MU, TX7, JP-08). Typically I run the clock out from Pamela’s Workout into the sync of my KeyStep and then use the MIDI out from the KeyStep into a Quadra Thru and then to the outside world of other synths and drum machines.
jadrowsky88
BenA718 wrote:
Peak is on my short list for my synth purchase this year; I absolutely love this synth! I do currently have several poly synths that I use with my Eurorack (Roland JV, E-MU, TX7, JP-08). Typically I run the clock out from Pamela’s Workout into the sync of my KeyStep and then use the MIDI out from the KeyStep into a Quadra Thru and then to the outside world of other synths and drum machines.

I also want to use peak with a keystep, my main concern of integrating a non modular into a modular synth is the fact that I don't understand how could I mix the sound of a non modular synth with the sound of the modular: if I have a modular mixer, could I feed it with the audio of the novation peak or should I just mix it into a separate line mixer, for me it would be much more comfortable to have the possibility to mix the peak controlling its levels via cv
BenA718
The CV input for the Peak is modulation only, I believe.

I use a stand alone mixer for all of my audio sources as I tend to do a lot of automation in a patch manually, such as crossfades and level rides.
hinterlands303
It's a great combo. Peak does bread and butter really well but can also get into stranger territory. I typically use it to flush out missing parts in tracks I've started in the modular. I was doing a scoring project this past spring which had a tight deadline and I ended up using the Peak a lot since it's very fast to program and can cover a lot of ground.

Because of it's size I think of it as a studio synth but I guess that depends on how large of a live set up you're willing to commit to. It does fit into a standard carry on though whereas Dave Smiths Rev 2 desktop is slightly too long. That's one of the reasons I bought it actually - I was doing a project in China and didn't want to check my synth.

I don't use the CV input very often honestly but I use a keystep for when I want to sync arps etc. directly with the modular but I'm often using an Octatrack as a master clock anyway.

Anyway - I'm a big fan.
SB-SIX
Peak is lovely hands on and good for a great variety of sounds. Does boc style very easy.
Here's some homemade patches showing some different sounds

https://soundcloud.com/steeboo/peaky-patches-some-novation-peak-homema de-patches
CF3
locust_locust wrote:
The madness of making a synth that is almost 19" wide and purposeful making it non-rackmountable meant I ruled it out.

Did I err?

Yeah, the form factor is puzzling. It's sooooooooo close to being rack size without the wooden ends cheeks. hmmm.....

BUT... I really like it. Super easy to program and sounds damn good IMO. There's a rumor an update is coming. Hope they add more "wavetables".
Panason
SB-SIX wrote:

Thanks, and well done. Those are all awesome! This makes it hard for me to justify spending almost another grand to get an OB 6 when the Peak sounds so good and has more waveforms to play with...
hinterlands303
Panason wrote:
SB-SIX wrote:

Thanks, and well done. Those are all awesome! This makes it hard for me to justify spending almost another grand to get an OB 6 when the Peak sounds so good and has more waveforms to play with...

Agreed - great patches. I'm sure the OB6 is great but the Peak brings a lot to the table. Plus I have a feeling there's a firmware update on the horizon since the BS2 just got one.
snakejaw
Muzone wrote:
I'm always a bit skeptical about rack mounting desktop synths, unless the connectors are duplicated on the base or cunningly angled/recessed you always lose 1 maybe 2 rack spaces.
I'd just fit a sliding drawer if I wanted it in a rack box, that's what I did with my Nova and that actually came with a rack ear kit.

I used the following cables with my Peak and I can get the gap pretty low. I made my own rack, so I can tweak the spacing. On a standard rack, I suppose you'd have to give up at least 1U,but I haven't tested this.

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/QTR10A--pro-co-excellines-inst rument-cable-10-foot-angle-straight

https://store.djtechtools.com/products/chroma-cables-usb
blipson
CF3 wrote:
There's a rumor an update is coming. Hope they add more "wavetables".

I hope they add the ability to patch the mod matrix using only knobs instead of the menus.
jadrowsky88
Very nice patch!

I think I stumbler across your soundcloud before googlin novation peak and idm.

Do you advice novation peak to be used for idm tracks?

SB-SIX wrote:
Peak is lovely hands on and good for a great variety of sounds. Does boc style very easy.

https://soundcloud.com/steeboo/peaky-patches-some-novation-peak-homema de-patches
Phase47
Whatever happened to the promised firmware with new wavetables? Did that ever appear or is there any news? That was a year ago at least.
Tom_1970
Well....here it comes...

https://ask.audio/articles/novation-intros-new-synth-features-for-peak -12
CF3
Wow!

Significant update. Way more than I was hoping for. Well done Novation. nanners
hinterlands303
So stoked for this. 43 new wavetables is huge plus the looping envelopes and FX matrix are great additions. Also the new mod matrix looks much friendlier. And two more LFO's? I'm interested to see how the microtuning is implemented as well. Novation really comes through with these firmware updates (even if it takes them a while to do them).
hairbow
You use the components app to create a miceotuning preset. You just drag pitches to a MIDI keyboard map, save and export.
Panason
Fuck yeah. Selling stuff off and getting this. Well done Novation! applause

Haven't checked out the new wavetables but there's got to be a few good ones in there?
droningsphagettimonster
holy shit! novation delivers! i'm particularly happy about the updated modulation matrix - along with the new destinations - and extra envelope features. the synth was polyphonic audio rate modulation abyss of joy before... now its going to be overwhelming.
wildfrontiers
New update is awesome, was lucky enough to have a sneak preview. Will be posting some videos soon.

The Mod Matrix is much improved. Even being deeply familiar with Peak, the 2 pages for sources and destination would still trip me up. And obviously the FX section having its own Mod Matrix is huge.

New wavetables are great. A ton of new flavors of sound. Will take some time to find all of the sweet spots for these.

Having 2 extra LFOs is great.

The looping envelopes might be my favorite addition.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> General Gear Goto page 1, 2  Next [all]
Page 1 of 2