MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

DIY JPTR 8 clone *** New VCO Core Picture ***
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Music Tech DIY Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 15, 16, 17  Next [all]
Author DIY JPTR 8 clone *** New VCO Core Picture ***
Boogie
m.o wrote:
How is your signal routing done, on the voice board or on processor board?
I only route manual (everything) Thus, manual routed 4 layer. Signal GND Power Signal but most signals on top layer.

Quote:
Which waveforms are available from the vcos (square, saw, triangle?, sine?), and how are you switching them (external to voice board or externally)?
Signals are pretty much as you describe, but slightly expanded.
All selection and switching via analog switch, thus digital control into the voice board.

Quote:
Are the levels from each oscillator controllable by a vca for each vco, or simpler full-half-none scheme (like Oberheim OBx)?
As to be programmable for recalling patches, each voice board has 2 VCO's, Mixer by means of 2 VCA's current summed to voltage out, VC HPF, VC LPF, VC Resonance and a VCA outputting 1 analog signal per voice.

Quote:
It looks like there are 3 tempco resistors, third one if for the filter?
Yip.

Quote:
Are there any provisions for some auto-calibration?
Yes, but only within a sudden range, so precalibration is necessary. Also continuous dynamic calibration can run. That algorhythm is also already functional.

Quote:
How many CVs do you end up with per voice?

Just wondering,
given all your to the point questions, what would you like to use the voiceboards for ?
KSS
Surely the trims will be side adjust like a JP-4? Quickly scanned the thread and didn't see reference to this. 3D image of 8 up would be impossible to calibrate as shown?
m.o
My interest comes from having tried to build a polysynth myself a while ago( six voice, 1 vco per voice), it's interesting to see how problems are solved by someone else.

KSS wrote:
Surely the trims will be side adjust like a JP-4? Quickly scanned the thread and didn't see reference to this. 3D image of 8 up would be impossible to calibrate as shown?

If that's a worry, the two trimmers for the filter maybe should be moved to the same back edge (for accessability)?
Boogie
KSS
Quote:
3D image of 8 up would be impossible to calibrate as shown?

True !
They need one by one calibration in overall, then being inserted.
The SW will do the rest.

m.o
Quote:
If that's a worry, the two trimmers for the filter maybe should be moved to the same back edge (for accessability)?

about the same solution here, apart from the processor closed loop.
Boogie
For those who may have been wondering

here is what it's not going to be.

Just teasing

Fitchie
Nice render !
applause
devinw1
Dude... this is badass.
Boogie
tobb
Quote:
You have to test but i think its best to use as mod source vco 1,because if you do also fm between osc, OSC2 -> 1, pitch of vco 2 will in most cases (other then doing flipperbox sounds) higher then pitch of vco 1

I plan to build the VCO's as foreseen for a quick start and clean setup to then modify the functional VCO's toward lin FM.
The TZ vco sound I published in my TZ thread were indead 2 to 3 octaves apart from each other, each tracking the same CV.

Thank you for the extended explanation.
I'll play with the oscillators & filters, and see where it leads me.
Though that will not be for the next weeks as I still have to order the proto voice-boards.
Boogie
Some sound file below.

Biggest difference in sound comes from the number of voices which are all asynchronous and create the a more 'full' feeling in the original.

I'm using three oscillators as in 1.5 voices.

Hope you like where it's going.
4 parts: original, clone, original, clone.
Original from Youtube.

Next step is to update the schematics and PCB,
and then order the proto's.

Informative,
It might look like a Jupiter 8 clone, but the idea is to build a polypnonic synth with nice jupiter-like filters.

All feedback welcome.

[s]https://soundcloud.com/boo-gie-879149310/filtercompare6[/s]
Boogie
Voice PCBs are ordered.

Each voice PCB contains some 351 components (for now confused )
We'll see how many debug and functional options add.
tron23
Boogie wrote:
Some sound file below.

Hope you like where it's going.

It is getting along very nicely, closely following. Guinness ftw!
Fitchie
Boogie wrote:
I will appologise up front, as I will not be offering all PCB's in kit form, but rather, as many of you already know, SMD populated.

Now, .... that is only for the voice boards and the processor board.
The control board, or so to say, the User Interface, will be a mainly Through Hole Board with some SMD

If I understand correctly, the control board will have a bunch of connectors where the voice boards and processor will be plugged in.

So is there any chance you'll offer these voice boards also in through hole (possibly at a later time)?
*** puppy eyes ***

I think the home builders would definitely appreciate that.
The real go-getters can then solder all >3000 components themselves, those who prefer to make music faster than soldering can choose the preassembled SMT voice boards.

Anyhow, great project !
You may put me on the list for beta testing.
we're not worthy
Boogie
Fitchie wrote:

So is there any chance you'll offer these voice boards also in through hole (possibly at a later time)?
*** puppy eyes ***

Let's find out how many would love to see the voice board becoming available as a Through Hole board.

So here's an interest List.
Would you like to see a Through Hole version of this voice board ?
Then please add your name to the list.

1. Fitchie
Boogie
Hello all,

It think, time has come to tell you what it's going to be.

So, yes, it's a Jupiter 8 clone
as good as the original with the fat sounds, as you know from the eighties, and with some extended features.

It's name: JPTR 8

The system is based on the Jupiter 8's block diagram.
The voice board is split to only hold one two oscillator voice.

It contains two oscillators, two waveshapers, a mixer, a 1st / 2nd order selectable HP filter, a 2nd / 4th order LP filter with resonance and a VCA.
All of these are Voltage Controllable.

All envelopes are processor generated and sent to the voice board via some DAC and S&H circuits.
Roland's ADSR chip IR3R01 is not used. The use of a processor to generate the ADSR waveform creates a huge sound pallet compared to an integrating ADSR.

The housekeeping is done by 3 µControllers.
One per 4 voices, and one for the frontpanel and midi processing.
The processors for the voices are running
- a command parser (commands comming from the main CPU on the frontpanel)
- 8 Control Voltages for the Oscillators
- 4 Control voltages extra modulations
- 4 VCA envelope ADSR's
- 4 VCF envelope ADSR's
- 2 LFO's
- Mixing, X modulation, etc...

Each Voice board has:
- 13 analog inputs
- 4 analog outputs
- 10 digital inputs

As this is a quite big project, I've foreseen the possiblity to run it with limited voices. Depending on the investment one wants to make, one can add or leave out some voice boards.

For now, I will be doing this as SMD populated PCBs except for the FrontPanel.
Depending on the requests and feedback, I might redesign the voice boards with Through Hole Components.

The main question for now is the form factor.
Would you prefer a stand alone (without keyboard) or
would you prefer a 3U version ?

I will post some more pictures of the design and some more Single Voice audio over the next days.

Please feel free to leave comments about the form factor, SMD or TH, sound quality, additional features, etc...
Revok
we're not worthy
Stand alone is my preference.

Normally I'm against pre-populated boards but for a project of this size I'm okay with it hihi
aabbcc
Boogie wrote:
Fitchie wrote:

*** puppy eyes ***

Let's find out how many would love to see the voice board becoming available as a Through Hole board.

So here's an interest List.
Would you like to see a Through Hole version of this voice board ?
Then please add your name to the list.

1. Fitchie
2. aabbcc

Added my name for a tht version.

Also I'd prefer it as a standalone without keyboard smile
tobb
Through Hole cards and rack version + desktop control panel + possibility to control X 8-voice racks with the single control panel, so we can layer 2-3 sounds at 8-voice smile
Boogie
Hi guys,
thanks for the feedback spinning

Anyone who would like to see a Through Hole version of this voice board ?
Please add your name to the list.

1. Fitchie
2. aabbcc
3. tobb

First system will be in SMD, but when enough requests, a TH version of the Voice Board, Mother Board and Control Panel is possible.
Here's a preview of the motherboard.
It holds 8 voices, the processor board, the DAC's, S&H, power supply and output mixer.
PSU and output mixer are not implemented yet.
Expected component count for the mother board is in the order of 210 parts.
Current config already 160.
PCB dimentions (for now) 110 x 150 mm, so this still fits in a 3U rack.

grenert
Hi, Boogie.
I vote for standalone.
I don't think I would at all miss the monotony of hand soldering eight voice boards. I'm perfectly happy with pre-soldered SMD. Plus, this will likely be pretty big; THT will only make it bigger. In my opinion, the main advantage of THT for DIY is the ability to mod a design. However, with such a complicated project with digital control, I think that realistically, there won't be a lot of opportunity to mod the hardware. So I'm happy to have the tedious work done for me!
JanneI
THT please!
Fitchie
Boogie wrote:
The main question for now is the form factor.
Would you prefer a stand alone (without keyboard) or
would you prefer a 3U version ?

I slightly prefer a 19" rack, but also happy with a stand alone device.
maximee
Stand alone or 19” for me, too. Looking very promising!
Starspawn
Im with grenert, at this complexity SMD is best. Depending on what offers more controls either standalone or rack is good.
Jaytee
Through hole and standalone would be my preference
LED-man
THT please, 4 Layer pcb
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Music Tech DIY Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 15, 16, 17  Next [all]
Page 2 of 17