MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

High gain amps at a budget
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Guitars, Basses, Amps & FX  
Author High gain amps at a budget
milkshake
I like the sound of the Solano Slo 100 and Peavey 5150/6505 but don't need 100 Watts of power and the price tag.

So what I would like is an amp that responds to the guitar, has the ultra high gain preamp and poweramp overdrive/distortion for no money at all.

Options so far are the Evh 5150lll 15W lbx one and two, Peavey 6505 mh and Randall rd1h.

Anyone have experience with these or similar products and what are your recommendations?
Rex Coil 7
milkshake wrote:
I like the sound of the Solano Slo 100 and Peavey 5150/6505 but don't need 100 Watts of power and the price tag.

So what I would like is an amp that responds to the guitar, has the ultra high gain preamp and poweramp overdrive/distortion for no money at all.

Options so far are the Evh 5150lll 15W lbx one and two, Peavey 6505 mh and Randall rd1h.

Anyone have experience with these or similar products and what are your recommendations?
Do what we used to do decades back .... run one amplifier into another amplifier. EVH used a set up like that on the first VH album. There is a lot of information on how to do that on the interwebulons. I know it sound nuts, but it works. Keep in mind that any time you go stacking gain stages your noise floor is going to go into the stratosphere. A noise gate is an unspoken requirement.

Guitar
sduck
Good sound and no money at all rarely go together. Besides the ones you mentioned, there are some other options. The PRS Mark Tremonti 15w head sounds really fantastic. Hughes & Kettner make a nice little 18w head. The boss katana amps actually sound pretty good for a non-tube amp. What you really want is a mesa boogie mark V 25, but don't look into it because it'll lead you down into the rabbit hole (my mark IV is the ultimate guitar amp, the one everything gets compared to, and will never be replaced)
Just me
Peavey red stripe Bandit will do it.
Revok
Sunn Beta Lead's can be relatively cheap still. Not sure if it's in the realm of gain you're interested though. It's kind of unique sounding.
Kent
Crate VTX and the cheaper GTX amps are total sleepers. The VTX is a gem.
hex
HM-2 + any amp.
bitflip
I'll throw in my vote for a Laney AOR, if you can find one. "Gain for days," as we said way back when... SlayerBadger!
milkshake
Anyone experience with Jet City?
sduck
Didn't know about them until now. The custom 22 sounds amazing, and the price!
MindMachine
Kent wrote:
Crate VTX and the cheaper GTX amps are total sleepers. The VTX is a gem.

Amen on the Crates.
Kent
milkshake wrote:
Anyone experience with Jet City?

I know the founders personally and helped them to get their distribution running in France. Good products, good designs and an interesting business model.
MRoyce
What about a Modeller like the Helix? Put a power amp after it and you can have the sound at any volume. Plenty of High-Gain models in there and the other necessities like Noise-Gate, Comp and EQ are also covered.
Chevron87
Peavey 6505s can be had pretty cheap second hand. I have found that nothing quite gets the sound of the 5150 or 6505 like the big versions of those amps. It's just instant and glorious crunch.

Check out the Kazrog Thermionik though, for a plug in it sure gets close - maybe as close as the smaller amp heads.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MbGSs1IidPc
milkshake
Great suggestions people!

Just got me an isolation cab that can handle 100Watt, suitable for 12 and 15 inch speakers. And some speakers to go with it:sb:

I like the Jet City 100HDM as this is a Slo 100 with cheaper.
But a second hand 6505+ is also an option.

To me it seems that the Slo 100 has a bit less gain than a 6505+, but the Slo is more versatile with a greater usable range of sounds. Is that correct?
calaveras
I'll hate myself in the morning but here goes.
You can still get old Traynor YGL guitar heads and combos for cheap. They are all tube, hand wired turret board construction.
I personally like the raw sound of these amps by themselves. They push EL34 quite hard giving a distinctive tone.

What some folks started to do a while back was mod them to Plexi specs, or Fender specs. Since they are loosely based on a Fender design.
Chevron87
milkshake wrote:
Great suggestions people!

Just got me an isolation cab that can handle 100Watt, suitable for 12 and 15 inch speakers. And some speakers to go with it:sb:

I like the Jet City 100HDM as this is a Slo 100 with cheaper.
But a second hand 6505+ is also an option.

To me it seems that the Slo 100 has a bit less gain than a 6505+, but the Slo is more versatile with a greater usable range of sounds. Is that correct?

Yeh get a 6505 you won't regret it, it's one of the easiest amps to dial in a crunch tone. I can play my fours hours it's such a cool engaging tone.

One thing to bear in mind, is that the effects loop doesn't play well with guitar pedals. Something to do with the impedance, and stopped me from using the four cable noise gate set up because the sound changed too much for the darker.
Thorsday
Do you require effects loop?

And you know you get zero feedback when your cab is in isolation, aye?

Anyhoodle, Revv G3 or Seymour Duncan Palladium into Seymour Duncan Powerstage (170 or 700) is the most compact and high gain setup available today. Great direct or with a backline cab.

If You need effects loop, prepare to spend. Diezel has parallel as wel as series. Most articulate gain... i think Herbert crushes any Mesa ever.

off-topic... back on topic: Crate/Blackheart are worth looking into, sure. But are they really high gain?

What does OP want to do? Record or play loud gigs?

You can record with a Boss Metal Zone dimed into a Line 6 POD direct and serve a metal song in studio.
IR
There's a Marshall DSL-1HR head which seems like it would do the job. I haven't tried it, but I have tried the earlier JCM-1H and liked it.

There's also the Orange OR-15, has a very good heavy distortion.
Chevron87
I know the Op mentioned budget etc, but it's well worth considering the Kemper. I get REALLY close 6505 tones form it, plus another 1000 different amp tones without the need from a cab.

Another solution is to get a 6505 and use a Load Box. I very much like the Two Notes Captor and their wall of sound, and Ownhammer cabinet impulse responses are killer.
hex
The Fortin Nameless and NTS plugins I heard recently are so good I'd seriously consider running them off of a tablet and direct or into a cheap power amp and cab.

edit:

Here's Ola Englund doing just that

MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Guitars, Basses, Amps & FX  
Page 1 of 1