MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Monitor feedback with a spring reverb tank
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Production Techniques  
Author Monitor feedback with a spring reverb tank
boxxgrooved
So I happen to have a big monitor right next to my modular the way I have things setup atm and I decided to plug my Doepfer A-199 into the rack and placed the tank on top of the monitor.

While messing around with patches this massive low-end tone started coming through and I could not understand what the hell was creating this huge bass tone coming out of my synth. I checked all my modules and was racking my brains for ages and thought something might be wrong with the tank. I lifted it off the monitor and the bass tone went away! A feedback loop had been created between the tank and the monitor and the tank was acting like a mic.

Has anyone else experienced this? I found I could get different pitches by placing it on top of different objects and could kind of 'play' the feedback. This would definitely look weird in a live performance hihi
Panason
Strap it to your crotch?
memes_33
by monitor do you mean LCD or audio monitors?

the spring tanks are mechanical devices, so if you set them on something that vibrates (like speakers) they will pick it up

LCD monitors can cause EMI, and the springs in the tank can essentially act as an antenna, so things like LCDs, power lines, cell phones can cause some audio weirdness to occur.
memes_33
Panason wrote:
Strap it to your crotch?

boners can cause interference as well.
Panason
memes_33 wrote:

the spring tanks are mechanical devices, so if you set them on something that vibrates (like speakers) they will pick it up

If monitors vibrate enough to get a sping to vibrate, they need to be replaced!

I believe it just picked up the bass waves radiating from the large speaker very nearby.
boxxgrooved
memes_33 wrote:
by monitor do you mean LCD or audio monitors?

LCD monitors can cause EMI, and the springs in the tank can essentially act as an antenna, so things like LCDs, power lines, cell phones can cause some audio weirdness to occur.

Yeah it was directly on top of my monitor causing a feedback loop, the monitors weren't vibrating. I sat it on top of a glass which was on the monitor and it produced a different pitch. I'm thinking several glasses filled with different amounts of water would make a weird performance MY ASS IS BLEEDING

You're right about EMI on tanks they are very sensitive. Probably not as sensitive as powerful crotch oscillations however hihi
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Production Techniques  
Page 1 of 1