MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Reverb Hardware vs. Software
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Guitars, Basses, Amps & FX Goto page Previous  1, 2 [all]
Author Reverb Hardware vs. Software
dubonaire
calaveras wrote:
The UAD spring is too polite. You cant get it to ‘sproing’ no matter how hard you smack. Im thinking of setting up a couple eurorack units so I can spring in stereo. The Doepfer I own is really good, but noisy.

I have zero noise problems with my Doepfer and it's parked right next to a bunch of digital modules. I honestly don't know how this has worked out so well.
smallstonefan
I love my VST reverbs for effects, but I recently sold my Lexicon VST suite and picked up a PCM 91. I could never get VST reverbs to sit right for an entire mix, but wow the PCM 91 just nails it. I just choose how much of each instrument to feed it add add the return to the mix. I'm using a hybrid mixing setup so it's easy to incorporate in my situation.

The hardware is just so easy to dial in something that works (for me)...
Andrew Montreal
Having worked with almost all major reverb plugins, some of my faves are...

UAD Lexicon 480L - pure deep joy. Extraordinary.
UAD AKG BX20 - Long and dark and deeply moving.
Audioease Altiverb - amazing realism.

But I have to say that moving to actual springs (as sends or as part of the recorded chain) has been an educational experience. The depth and purity of the image overshadows plugins for me. Not as versatile consideing the limitations of the parameters that can be controlled, but certianly more awe-inspiring (for this user).
Andrew Montreal
calaveras wrote:
rens wrote:
So, ive yet to find a software emulation of a spring that does it for me. Not psp or softube for sure. I have real springs on my guitar amps and i patch them into a radial tank driver for line level. I use the h9 live often but its not really the thing either. But surely there must be something useful in the plugin world? Any recommendations? I think theres a newish one from u-he?

The UAD spring is too polite. You cant get it to ‘sproing’ no matter how hard you smack. Im thinking of setting up a couple eurorack units so I can spring in stereo. The Doepfer I own is really good, but noisy.

Definitely no boing in the UAD spring. Classy but not trashy.
Andrew Montreal
Also, having moved to very revealing monitors (ATC SCM50ASLs), I have to admit that some plugins that I used to enjoy don’t hold a candle in terms of depth and richness to others. Valhalla comes to mind... Definitely cool sounding but often create more haze than magic. Though sure... sometimes haze is a part of the magic. True that.
cackland
Do the ATC's color the sound at all?
MHamiltonVisuals
woodrowhood wrote:
Hardware (I assume) is always the correct answer. I'm a big fan of Strymon and Empress. But is there a software plug-in that can come anywhere close to hardware reverb? Sometimes I need a good software plug-in when working in a DAW. So far, Adaptiverb has proven worth the money. Are there others?

We have some great software reverbs we use but there is nothing like using a reverb plate. We have two that we love using. bricasti's are always nice too smile
Andrew Montreal
cackland wrote:
Do the ATC's color the sound at all?

I imagine that similar to any transducer they colour the sound somewhat... but fat less then most others. Or rather, like any monitor, you need to learn how they respond to signals. But that doesn’t have anything to do with how much they reveal. THAT is a specialty of theirs.
CosmicFlight
i definitly prefer hw reverbs but i'll go with Vahalla and Relab LX480 for software !
ExtrasensoryPerception
hardware reverbs tend to have more depth, in my experience.
I have one hardware reverb (eventide h3500) which I use all the time, and then Valhalla's plugins for the rest or for when I'm too lazy.
craigex
woodrowhood wrote:
Hardware (I assume) is always the correct answer. I'm a big fan of Strymon and Empress. But is there a software plug-in that can come anywhere close to hardware reverb? Sometimes I need a good software plug-in when working in a DAW. So far, Adaptiverb has proven worth the money. Are there others?

I use EHX Cathedrall and vst Valhala Rev
They give a different mood to the music!
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Guitars, Basses, Amps & FX Goto page Previous  1, 2 [all]
Page 2 of 2