MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Sun Ra’s Reading List
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Artist Discussion  
Author Sun Ra’s Reading List
Neoconkers
Sun Ra once taught a course at Berkley. It included a rather eccentric Reading list...
PapaLazarou
Would bet anything he hadn't even read half of those lol
GUM
Interesting list, and very cool. Would have been a trip to take a class with him.

I'm curious why you think he 'hadn't read half of them' PapaLazarou? by all accounts Ra was a fascinating man, and from his mythology / poetry / films you can tell he was well read.
cycad73
Exactly, of course he read these...

I recognized only two of them, but the others and their connections are fascinating, so I have a lot indeed to catch up on and learn about. I wish classes could be taught again in this way. Thanks much!
dubonaire
Thanks for this, I think this reading list was linked on this forum a few years ago.

There have been a few cycles of musical styles in dance music over the last almost 40 years. Without doing a detailed analysis, I'd say the two central motifs that most keep recurring are jazz elements and electro rhythms, and afro-futurism has a lot to do with that.
PapaLazarou
GUM wrote:
Interesting list, and very cool. Would have been a trip to take a class with him.

I'm curious why you think he 'hadn't read half of them' PapaLazarou? by all accounts Ra was a fascinating man, and from his mythology / poetry / films you can tell he was well read.

.... because he was born already knowing the things contained therein
tuttlerecall
When searching for the list I found that there is a recording of one of the lectures.

http://www.openculture.com/2014/07/full-lecture-and-reading-list-from- sun-ras-1971-uc-berkeley-course.html
Neoconkers
Yes, I just listened to it - it contains some pretty un-pleasant stuff (anti-semitism , racism ( I personally don't see a differnce between anti white racism and anyother racism - it's all racism from where I'm standing))- makes me now regret posting the original post.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Artist Discussion  
Page 1 of 1