MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Sun Ra’s Reading List
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Artist Discussion  
Author Sun Ra’s Reading List
Neoconkers
Sun Ra once taught a course at Berkley. It included a rather eccentric Reading list...
PapaLazarou
Would bet anything he hadn't even read half of those lol
GUM
Interesting list, and very cool. Would have been a trip to take a class with him.

I'm curious why you think he 'hadn't read half of them' PapaLazarou? by all accounts Ra was a fascinating man, and from his mythology / poetry / films you can tell he was well read.
cycad73
Exactly, of course he read these...

I recognized only two of them, but the others and their connections are fascinating, so I have a lot indeed to catch up on and learn about. I wish classes could be taught again in this way. Thanks much!
dubonaire
Thanks for this, I think this reading list was linked on this forum a few years ago.

There have been a few cycles of musical styles in dance music over the last almost 40 years. Without doing a detailed analysis, I'd say the two central motifs that most keep recurring are jazz elements and electro rhythms, and afro-futurism has a lot to do with that.
PapaLazarou
GUM wrote:
Interesting list, and very cool. Would have been a trip to take a class with him.

I'm curious why you think he 'hadn't read half of them' PapaLazarou? by all accounts Ra was a fascinating man, and from his mythology / poetry / films you can tell he was well read.

.... because he was born already knowing the things contained therein
tuttlerecall
When searching for the list I found that there is a recording of one of the lectures.

http://www.openculture.com/2014/07/full-lecture-and-reading-list-from- sun-ras-1971-uc-berkeley-course.html
Neoconkers
Yes, I just listened to it - it contains some pretty un-pleasant stuff (anti-semitism , racism)- makes me now regret posting the original post.
proteus-ix
PapaLazarou wrote:
Would bet anything he hadn't even read half of those lol

He didn't have to look at the Sun. He was the Sun.
He didn't have to play the Music. He was the Music.
See where this is going?

;D
IanEye
If this class was in 1971 it wouldn't be particularly surprising that someone as steeped in Egyptology as Sun Ra would be anti-Israel.

Nasser had just died, and tensions between Egypt & Israel grew until the 1973 war.

MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Artist Discussion  
Page 1 of 1