MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Secret weapon processing (plugins/hardware)
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Production Techniques Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next [all]
Author Secret weapon processing (plugins/hardware)
Dilibob
Modular quad channel -> ufx+ -> protools highend 5.1 reverb.
criticalmonkey
waves brauer motion - surprised how many uses i find for this when i bought just as a panning candy toy
infinitemachinery
I'm really into lush reverbs and nothing does it for my like the Valhalla suite of plugins. Also the UAD Lexicon 224 is just wonderful.
xenosapien
I got myself a small 500-Series Lunchbox and a couple of Preamps/Color Modules (the DIYRE stuff).

Great for running my synths and electric bass through a small selection of different preamps (pick ones that allow the line input to pass through the same circuitry as the mic input!!) and the DIYRE Color Palette things are just great for adding analog saturation/distortion without breaking the bank.

on the software side, I picked up the Soundtoys 5 bundle a year or two back and have pretty much stopped using anything else (except some NI bus compressors and EQs that I got with Komplete...).

Decapitator, EchoBoy, Devil-Loc are some of my favorites. The new "Little Plate" is a nice quick-and-dirty plate reverb.
Plattform
Michael O. wrote:
Without getting too specific (got to keep up the mystique, after all), people might be surprised by how often and how dramatically entire arrangements are sped up/slowed down/pitch-shifted/time-shifted after the fact. Can change the entire subjective feel of a tune in an instant. I’ve been (over)using a once-ubiquitous film/tv sound processor to good effect lately...

Yes I'm with you on that !

I do it also when I listened to a track too much, I loop some section I like and slow it down. You can re-discover a lot of things like this and it's quite hypnotic and addictive !
synthpriest
To the above post, that Lexicon weights a ton. hihi
wickfut
Oaksound Soothe - amazing VST which removes all the little nasty resonances from your track.

Grainspace - Granular reverb which does clouds better than clouds does.
BailyDread
xenosapien wrote:
I got myself a small 500-Series Lunchbox and a couple of Preamps/Color Modules (the DIYRE stuff).

Great for running my synths and electric bass through a small selection of different preamps (pick ones that allow the line input to pass through the same circuitry as the mic input!!) and the DIYRE Color Palette things are just great for adding analog saturation/distortion without breaking the bank.

please post a pic of this! this is something many fantasize about and I'm sure its a great idea!!

new addition for me: RNDI... this thing sounds INCREDIBLE. I can't even begin to express how fantastic it is. it's a DI, so it's just meant to take an unbalanced signal and turn it into a balanced one, but feeding it the hot signals straight out of the VCAs of my eurorack setup does some kind of crazy magic. depending on how hard I hit it, it goes from smooth and buttery clear to this kind of beautiful tape/tube saturation that is never ever harsh. it seems to eat up the transients like a champ as well as doing some kind of high freq and low freq roll off with a nice bump at either end. like a disco smile, but and "m" if that makes any sense... lol!

I can not recommend good DI's enough..... the Jensen Radial DI is also sensational, and considerably faster with transients than the RNDI. this makes it absolutely killer for drums and snappy lead lines. it also sounds a bit brighter to my ears.

I love talking shop applause
Michael O.
synthpriest wrote:
To the above post, that Lexicon weights a ton. hihi

It weighs about as much as a late ‘80s pc, because I think that is essentially what it is lol.

And +1 to those talking about quality DI’s. It’s amazing how near to a mix-ready sound you can get by sending some bass guitar/synth/drum machine through a good old transformer (like Triad, UTC, Peerless, etc.) into a quality mic pre. But then again maybe quality passive DI hasn’t really been a secret since Motown, lol.
Jarvus
Actually find running non modular sounds, like a polysynth or acoustic instruments etc, into the modular and using its filters env vcas to shape the sound really works for me. Subtle amounts of colour added here and there.
xenosapien
BailyDread wrote:
xenosapien wrote:

please post a pic of this! this is something many fantasize about and I'm sure its a great idea!!

you don´t have to ask that twice haha, here you go:

the 500 series modules are all hooked up to the patchbay as you can see, but mostly normalled to the MOTUs ins/outs.
the lexicon is hooked up via S/PDIF to the MOTU ultralite, which is mounted in a DIY'ed rackmount next to a FMR RNLA (just to fill the space heh).

those silver Bart HRK modules each hold 2 "COLORS", currently I am using "British Console" and "Soviet Pentode" each in those.

the DIYRE CP5 is loaded with a "Discrete Saturation" COLOR, usually I record shakers etc. through that.
Scories
BailyDread wrote:
FMR ARC - great DI with some kind of compression/eq thing going on (ARC stands for "articulation resonance clarity"); cuts the bass slightly and adds a thin layer of gated white noise that can really help to make an element have more presence without obscuring other high freq elements

I'm curious about this one. I know it's useful for enhancing the Even playing of a guitare. But would you also use it to run an entire mix through it, or to process a spécific instrument that needs to stand out? Like a post-production tool....

Speaking of ARC, has anyone tried Ik Multimedia ARC System 2.5 - Advanced Room Correction? Seems like great tool for mixing with more accuracy.
ThePatheticNoob
Hi all, first post here.

TAL Reverb III
kinkycables
Feedback and/or blend loops...
Parallel chains with completely unsubtle FX - Black Death Noise Synth, RM-1n reverb, fabtone....
balbibou
Sonimus Britson/Satson console emulations
101010oxo
u-he Satin thumbs up
JediDJ
Acustica Acqua, Nebula
Soy Sos
Might I suggest a way to make this thread a little more interesting?
Say a little something about what you like about this particular device/plug/technique and how you use it.
Scories
Soy Sos wrote:
Might I suggest a way to make this thread a little more interesting?
Say a little something about what you like about this particular device/plug/technique and how you use it.

indeed
Jerome
Analog Heat: deep, versatile, precise, agile, enhance, destroy,...
Valhalla plugins: inexpensive, easy, huge, fast, immense,...
Eventide Space: musical, infinite, well everybody knows...
Korg SDD3K preamp: stunning with everything you'll plug into
AEA R84 ribbon mic: silky, warm, real, and solid
needto
Soundtoys Echoboy with 0 delay for tape saturation.

The free TAL-Chorus-LX - Juno chorus emulation, for any monosynths that need to be wide and massive.
JediDJ
Nebula/Acqua - simply the best analog sounding algorithms at PC/MAC.
Sounds better than UAD, and very close to a legendary hardware.
skunk_hour
needto wrote:
Soundtoys Echoboy with 0 delay for tape saturation.

The free TAL-Chorus-LX - Juno chorus emulation, for any monosynths that need to be wide and massive.

This, for sure! Echoboy + very slight delay also makes for a great, versatile chorus effect.
Plumbstone
Plugin Boutique's Stereo Savage plug in is fantastic for getting some seriously controllable stereo image from a mono input. ie: most eurorack.

I also use Eowave's Fluctuation Magnetiques 4 MM filters to do a similar thing otb.

Been running alot of individual channels through a Ridge Farm Gas Cooker - a valve DI box which just adds a beautiful amount of dirt and valve goodness to pretty much anything you throw at it. Yum.
blinosynth
Michael O. wrote:
Without getting too specific (got to keep up the mystique, after all), people might be surprised by how often and how dramatically entire arrangements are sped up/slowed down/pitch-shifted/time-shifted after the fact. Can change the entire subjective feel of a tune in an instant. I’ve been (over)using a once-ubiquitous film/tv sound processor to good effect lately...

i am going to get my power supply tomorrow for my nagra
cannot wait for try to slow down loops
i've already octrack and i use it for the same porpouse
rytm mk 's filter and fx are amazing even if is it a drum machine i use for down pitch samples ... sounds lusch
akai s1100 is undescovered weapon , i need time to use it!!!!!!!
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Production Techniques Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next [all]
Page 2 of 4