MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Secret weapon processing (plugins/hardware)
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Production Techniques Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next [all]
Author Secret weapon processing (plugins/hardware)
pkkkkknn
Good old (discontinued) Camelspace / Camelphat for mangling sounds completely unrecognizable.

Also Waves Abbey Road Plates and Apex Aural Exciter, these both have insane amounts of character.
apestate
Kilohearts bundle in combination with Ableton effects = extreme control of timbre.
slumberjack
for mixing in the daw i'd be interested for a nice panning solution where i can fine tune the adjustments of a mono track to sit. also some l/r modulation aka ping-pong would be nice to have.
locust_locust
I have one of these:

slumberjack
locust_locust wrote:
I have one of these:

that's a nice piece of gear which drives my gas instantly but i'm looking for individual settings on a single channel before the mixdown. i'm very unhappy with the pan 'knob' in my daw.
xenosapien
you could start by telling us which DAW you use.

"my" DAW (reaper) for example has several panning law modes I can switch between.
so there´s less potential for unhappiness there... maybe your DAW offers this as well?
slumberjack
xenosapien wrote:

"my" DAW (reaper) for example has several panning law modes I can switch between.
so there´s less potential for unhappiness there... maybe your DAW offers this as well?

please tell me more, we're using the same application. if find the pan knob horibble compared to the one in live and never found an autopan function either.
BailyDread
locust_locust wrote:
I have one of these:

when this came out i was really stoked on it. out of my price range tho.

could you please let us know some of the ways you use it? i really liked the fact that it has an adjustable high pass and a low shelf that are very interactive. you can cut @ 50 hz and boost at 30 hz simultaneously or something, right? like a pultec style. seems like it would be very cool for sculpting the bottom end.
xenosapien
slumberjack wrote:
xenosapien wrote:

please tell me more, we're using the same application. if find the pan knob horibble compared to the one in live and never found an autopan function either.

I´m not at home right now, but check in the settings, probably something like (from memory now/referencing an old manual):

File->Project Setting->Advanced->Pan law/mode

I honestly do not know how and what the precise differences are or how they work, but it does make a difference between 2 or 3 of these.

I remember liking the default the most, actually - seems to be a matter of taste, but then again I´ve never used Ableton so I wouldn´t know if that one is better.

"Autopan" is an effect and therefore you won´t see an "option" for it.

There IS a "JSFX" plugin for autopan though, just select "all plugins" and search for 'Pan' or 'autopan' there.

Other than that, I simply automate my panning...
Soy Sos
I don't understand how someone could be: "very unhappy with the pan 'knob' in my daw"
I've worked on consoles and DAWs (Performer and now Ableton) for many years and have never even thought about there being a problem. Performer has a trim plug-in that allows for level and panning of the left and right side of a stereo channel and Ableton now has a right click option that changes the pan knob to a left and right panning set. (if that makes sense)

But on to other fun things!
Another method I have been using heavily in mixing with Ableton is parallel processing with effects racks. I'll create multiple versions of effects chains and mix to taste. An example would be a subby low passed chain and a buzzy distorted high passed version of the bass line. Then for example I can sneak in the buzzy version to taste or automate it to bring more aggression to certain moments in the track. I could also side chain the subby side with the kick drum a little I'd I want to make more space for the low end of the mix.
xenosapien
Soy Sos

It wasn´t until after he posted that I started reading up about different panning laws in Reaper (and other DAWs) and apparently, there are some "right" and "less right" ways to handle panning..

-> especially stereo "Pan" aka balance...

what seems to happen is that in some cases, the center position would actually cause the whole track gain to increase by 3dB or something if it was mono material in a stereo track (in Reaper) *

seems to be a digital era issue and I can see why it would be one for some people... I don´t really care THAT much either, to be honest.

My golden rule is always "if it sounds good, I don´t care how it was made."

* careful: this "info" was obtained after reading forums for 20mins in my lunchbreak today. might be full of horseshit! wink
slumberjack
xenosapien wrote:
slumberjack wrote:
xenosapien wrote:

I´m not at home right now, but check in the settings, probably something like (from memory now/referencing an old manual):

File->Project Setting->Advanced->Pan law/mode

I honestly do not know how and what the precise differences are or how they work, but it does make a difference between 2 or 3 of these.

I remember liking the default the most, actually - seems to be a matter of taste, but then again I´ve never used Ableton so I wouldn´t know if that one is better.

"Autopan" is an effect and therefore you won´t see an "option" for it.

There IS a "JSFX" plugin for autopan though, just select "all plugins" and search for 'Pan' or 'autopan' there.

Other than that, I simply automate my panning...

thx for the hint, i've been lazy with rtfm lately.
xenosapien
slumberjack wrote:

no worries - I have a job with a bit of downtime in between customers, so I often get to RTFM at work wink
slumberjack
xenosapien wrote:
slumberjack wrote:

no worries - I have a job with a bit of downtime in between customers, so I often get to RTFM at work wink

lucky you! w00t
foolprint
bbe sonic maximizer 482i
calaveras
Overdriving the crap out of the Deltalabs Effectron. You can use the compressed signal by itself, or blend in the delay/flange.
Littlelabs VOG is epic good on everything. I have to stop myself sometimes.
Also a huge fan of mid side recording guitar, drums and piano. Then meddling with the phase and time domain relationship of the mid and side channels. I've gotten some insane sounds this way before. Like the drums are imploding or like the guitar is rushing in from the corners of the room.

I used to use an old 6x2 transformer based mixer that I modded with 6xtransformer coupled direct outs. Gave my synths and stuff more solid bottom end.
acidbob
http://the-akaizer-project.blogspot.com/
calaveras
acidbob wrote:

Cool I’ll have to check that out!
felixer
xenosapien wrote:

seems to be a digital era issue

not at all. it applies to analogmixers too. it's just that you don't have any options to change 'm so you work with what you got. adjusting levels as you go ... and usually you know from the beginning what is going to be stereo and what not. THINK BEFORE YOU MIX !
Scories
acidbob wrote:

Is there a cheap vst plug-in that can do clean timestretching ?
felixer
Scories wrote:
acidbob wrote:

there is a decent timestretch in reaper ... it struggles with sharp attacks if you overdo it, but otherwise it's fine
3hands
Allen&Heath system 8 console. Because dat EQ doe.
acidbob
Scories wrote:
acidbob wrote:

Yes, I would say FL Studio can do that out of the box.

Otherwise maybe this will do:
https://tal-software.com/products/tal-sampler
CosmicFlight
Elysia HW stuff here
dubonaire
I recently got the Waves Scheps Omni Channel and it's basically the only thing I use now, FX aside. How do I use it? Either direct on a channel or parallel processing and more often than not I just find an appropriate preset, and then maybe tweak that a bit. It's very cleverly designed for someone like me who is not an expert. It is easy to do mid/side processing and there is a focus button which highlights the key controls for particular presets. So the Omni Channel is helping me learn as well.

I find Klanghelm MJUC to be really good for me on the drum bus but at the moment I'm preferring using the Omni Channel.

Around the same time I picked up Echoboy and it does have the mojo everyone raves about.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Production Techniques Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next [all]
Page 3 of 4