MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Secret weapon processing (plugins/hardware)
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Production Techniques Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 [all]
Author Secret weapon processing (plugins/hardware)
Futuresound
I'll have to check the Waves Scheps out. I've been eying the Sonimus Satson channel strip, but the Waves does seem a bit more flexible.
xenosapien
dubonaire wrote:
I recently got the Waves Scheps Omni Channel and it's basically the only thing I use now, FX aside. How do I use it? Either direct on a channel or parallel processing and more often than not I just find an appropriate preset, and then maybe tweak that a bit. It's very cleverly designed for someone like me who is not an expert. It is easy to do mid/side processing and there is a focus button which highlights the key controls for particular presets. So the Omni Channel is helping me learn as well.

I find Klanghelm MJUC to be really good for me on the drum bus but at the moment I'm preferring using the Omni Channel.

Around the same time I picked up Echoboy and it does have the mojo everyone raves about.

good call - the Scheps OC is the last (and first in a while) VST I bought, and it immediately got used on every track.

it does a bit 'better' on traditional recorded material than synthetics I feel, but maybe it´s just more noticeable on that.

but maaaan those dual de-essers are a live saver for annoying cymbal ring etc. - and the saturation and comp are just easy to use and pretty much always sound good to me.
dubonaire
xenosapien wrote:
it does a bit 'better' on traditional recorded material than synthetics I feel, but maybe it´s just more noticeable on that.

Probably true and that's probably a lot to do with its designer, but I'm gradually finding good settings for synthetics, although I'm beginning to think synthetics need less treatment anyway. Another thing I'm going through at the moment is spending more time getting the source right and less focus on the processing. Actually I think the Omni Channel is helping me be a bit more subtle.

And yes I find the saturation actually works like saturation and not an exaggerated effect and the choice of harmonics is really useful.
BailyDread
lately i've been having a lot of success with putting saturation before reverb on aux sends. usually ill use the UAD culture vulture plugin and dial in a really nasty sounding distortion, but then put a plate emulation after. once you get the gain stages all set up nicely it really gives a more dynamic feel to the verb -- rather than spikes in volume feeding splashes of verb, the peaks correspond to increase in saturation that then feeds the verb with more high freq source material.

try it out, i almost never use plate or spring verbs without it now
Soy Sos
Yes to that! Saturation, EQ, high + low pass filtering (modulated), compression in different order before reverb is so good!
Johnisfaster
Jarvus wrote:
Actually find running non modular sounds, like a polysynth or acoustic instruments etc, into the modular and using its filters env vcas to shape the sound really works for me. Subtle amounts of colour added here and there.

Lately my favorite thing to do is run anything through my euro rigs vca's. It's amazing how interesting simple things get when volume of synth sounds aren't tied to note on off.
rustedimac
Culture Vulture is sooooooo f-ing good. You can put any signal in, and it'll make it ten folds better. The range of what it can do is simply outrageous: from adding subtle tube warmth to gonna-destroy-them-all tube distortion. Similarly, Soundtoys Decapitator in the software realm.
BailyDread
Never heard the hardware version, but I love the Culture Vulture plugin from UAD hihi

its terrific for putting before a 100% wet plate/spring reverb plugin aux send, really helps to tame the signal and impart some excitement in the freq spectrum

the Black Box from PluginAlliance is also terrific, but sounds quite different from the Culture Vulture. I'd say it's more of a mastering type effect whereas the CV is more versatile.
3hands
Old Allen & Heath consoles have incredible preamps and EQs. I use that, combined with an old beat to shit Drawmer LX20, and man... it’s killer for bass, or set the LX20 to expander mode, and run an entire drum pattern through it for some serious sonic butchery. Sounds great sitting under the main mic.

Also I use a couple old delays that I sometimes run things through even with effects turned off. They add a nice colour to the sound. Ensoniq DP4 as well.
Soy Sos
What era and model A&H consoles?
I see older ones popping up from time to time, usually pretty beat and in need of servicing or overhaul.
MindMachine
Now mounting a Copperphone mic. using a plastic water bottle as megaphone ear for an even more restricted/greater range.

Paper tubes on microphones work great too.
Faru
Granulator II for max 4 live with any field recording and of course the controls mapped to a controler
so much fun! smile

also not really a secret weapon, but I love the sherman filterbank and Knas Moisturizer, run most of my stuff through it.
The Grump
Faru wrote:
Granulator II for max 4 live with any field recording and of course the controls mapped to a controler
so much fun! smile

Non-field recordings also often qualify in the "Totally does NOT suck" department. Granulator II is even cooler with the Slave, and grabbing stuff live from others, if collaborating. Super sick tool. Good call!
PhineasFreak
ive only just discovered abletons eq8 has mid side mode

eek!
naturligfunktion
PhineasFreak wrote:
ive only just discovered abletons eq8 has mid side mode

eek!

Seriously?? I need to check this out ASAP

eek!
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Production Techniques Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 [all]
Page 4 of 4