MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

LW Sing To Me BB-258-A: Some Patches
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Buchla, EMS & Serge  
Author LW Sing To Me BB-258-A: Some Patches
timoka
i hope nobody minds if i collect patches for this great loudestwarning panel here.


---------------------------------------------------------------------- ----





---------------------------------------------------------------------- ----



[s]http://soundcloud.com/uzala/sergesfx[/s]

---------------------------------------------------------------------- ----

the dtg as sequenced wobbly subharmonic generator:





---------------------------------------------------------------------- ----

DTG pseudo echo



[s]http://soundcloud.com/uzala/dtg-pseudo-echo[/s]

---------------------------------------------------------------------- ----
this is just a first test using the two 258 oscillators in linked mode
(eg osc1 modulates osc2 on tws stage) and dtg envelope into vcfq:

[s]http://soundcloud.com/uzala/lw258test[/s]
Prunesquallor
we're not worthy

Of course not! Go for it!
the bad producer
Ah, this is great! Will have to try some of these thumbs up
merlatte
I only mind because now I want one! Seriously though, sounds great and I've been wanting to hear the LW 258's for a minute now, so thanks!
timoka


[s]http://soundcloud.com/uzala/bubble-bath[/s]


a rather liquid patch starring the vcfq Goldfish Goldfish Goldfish
revtor
Wow, love the drone+birds patch!!! Can’t wait to listen to the rest..
The Junglechrist
God some of those are gorgeous !
darcmorcel
Those bubbles & water drops woah
FatRocky
applause
lud
Incredible panel and great recordings!
mathomas
Want hihi
darcmorcel
Already started saving for one hihi ... Dead Banana
simian
Good stuff. I think I've popped into this thread before and thought "oh - neat... a Loudest Warning Animal" without ever realizing that those oscillators are a 258.

What a time to be alive. screaming goo yo
Pahat_Kengat
The oscillators sound amazing. we're not worthy

Does anyone have a good idea how the 258 differs from Serge oscillators, such as the NTO (apart from being, well, very different things by design alone)? I'm essentially some pay checks away from ordering a panel from LW, but am wondering which oscillators to go for.

Maybe I should include one of each: an NTO and a 258. meh
timoka
just found a recording i made some time ago, it's more an experiment on how to use the addac stochastic function generator in a tamed setting to get slight variations on each new envelope, sort of humanizing a sequence.

[s]http://soundcloud.com/uzala/stochreich[/s]

the two 258 are so great but the best part is the coupling with the tws,
such an amazing combination! depending on what waveform you dial in, the tws reacts differently, of course also the attenuation of the incoming wave, lots of harmonic overtones possible and even some undertones...
if the waveform is centered around the saw wave then the tws spits out the exact octave below, a sub octave sine-ish wave. i know that the tws makes a sine wave out of a saw wave but why on a certain setting it becomes the suboctave i don't know. maybe charlie can shed some light on this?
FatRocky
timoka wrote:
just found a recording i made some time ago, it's more an experiment on how to use the addac stochastic function generator in a tamed setting to get slight variations on each new envelope, sort of humanizing a sequence.

[s]http://soundcloud.com/uzala/stochreich[/s]

the two 258 are so great but the best part is the coupling with the tws,
such an amazing combination! depending on what waveform you dial in, the tws reacts differently, of course also the attenuation of the incoming wave, lots of harmonic overtones possible and even some undertones...
if the waveform is centered around the saw wave then the tws spits out the exact octave below, a sub octave sine-ish wave. i know that the tws makes a sine wave out of a saw wave but why on a certain setting it becomes the suboctave i don't know. maybe charlie can shed some light on this?


Thanks for sharing this awesome recording. I´m seriously considering a 258 couple for my system as well. Are these adjusted so that they work ok with Serge levels?
thumbs up
timoka
i assume LW always makes sure everything works fine together!
so no problems within my small system regarding levels.
the bad producer
Hi! Nice one timoka - again! love

Yes, I try and ensure all non-serge stuff works together with Serge CV levels etc, the 258 is a funny one as the saw is hotter than the sine or square, well 'sort of' hotter might be more accurate as it's a funny shape sawtooth, the 'Buchla S' I guess! It's certainly more endowed with harmonics.

It is the non-mathematical shapes of the 258 VCO that makes me think it pairs well with the TWS.
timoka
@the bad producer it's a perfect match imo, never had so much joy with an oscillator - waveshaper combination like with these. the fm-ish sounds through the linked tws (audio rate modulation) are just absolutely amazing!
need to make a demo with bell sounds only, it's freaking fantastic Dead Banana
FatRocky
the bad producer wrote:
Hi! Nice one timoka - again! love

Yes, I try and ensure all non-serge stuff works together with Serge CV levels etc, the 258 is a funny one as the saw is hotter than the sine or square, well 'sort of' hotter might be more accurate as it's a funny shape sawtooth, the 'Buchla S' I guess! It's certainly more endowed with harmonics.

It is the non-mathematical shapes of the 258 VCO that makes me think it pairs well with the TWS.



Thanks Charlie.
How do you find the 258 as modulators? do they go lo frequency? thumbs up
the bad producer
They really excel as audio VCO's but I'll check the low range on them today - FWIW the range can be set with a trimmer, so one could set them 'lower than normal' for that sort of thing if one wanted, ie shift the range down a bit. I shall return with some Hz numbers momentarily!
the bad producer
I'm reading from 2Hz to 20kHz as an example range, I think for 'proper' LFO duties one would want a LO range switch. Of course you could lower the whole range, but you would lose the top end.
FatRocky
the bad producer wrote:
They really excel as audio VCO's but I'll check the low range on them today - FWIW the range can be set with a trimmer, so one could set them 'lower than normal' for that sort of thing if one wanted, ie shift the range down a bit. I shall return with some Hz numbers momentarily!


Thanks , but i was just asking , please don´t bother in spending your time with that. Maybe that´s the way the 258 is made to be used, as a audio source only. I was watching the recent Waveshaper TV interview with Serge and he mentioned he found the Buchla modules had lots of possibilities but he didn´t put all those out in the front panel, and that was also an inspiration point to start his modules. like for example the 258 doesn´t have a range switch or sync as i see the graphics on the front panel.. What i like about it is its sound, it´s like an amazing organic sound. But of course having it in Serge enviorment one can´t avoid thinking why it doesn´t have this or that. thumbs up
FatRocky
the bad producer wrote:
I'm reading from 2Hz to 20kHz as an example range, I think for 'proper' LFO duties one would want a LO range switch. Of course you could lower the whole range, but you would lose the top end.


258 sounds beautiful as it is , i wouldn´t touch that i think

thumbs up
the bad producer
No problem, I happened to have one here and I was interested myself!
the bad producer
I've just taken some scope shots comparing the output of the TWS with a PCO sawtooth and with the 258 sawtooth, here:

http://loudestwarning.tumblr.com/
timoka
thanks charlie for these photos!

i use the 258 also as a weird triggersource smile haha
with negative cv into freq the cycle can get quite low, and then joint feedback and the wave starts to become chaotic and sometimes locks into interesting rhythms...plug that into the vcfq audio in and ping it!!
Prunesquallor
timoka wrote:
just found a recording i made some time ago, it's more an experiment on how to use the addac stochastic function generator in a tamed setting to get slight variations on each new envelope, sort of humanizing a sequence.

[s]http://soundcloud.com/uzala/stochreich[/s]


How did I miss this? Totally gorgeous, Timoka. thumbs up we're not worthy
southphillysynths
These have been some incredible posts and sound examples!! I'm thinking of this for my first serge panel...
Jaypee
OK, now I want this panel. very frustrating
darcmorcel
Got mine a few weeks ago It's peanut butter jelly time! all praises to Charlie for bringing us the joy of Serge Modular AND Buchla at the same time nanners

Getting to know my new synth, I'm doing my homework with some classic patches like this one : the well known bouncing ball, with panning effect appearing in the second half.

[s]http://soundcloud.com/darcmorcel/612656934[/s]
muncky
Hope it’s ok to add a patch from my paperface variant with a VV3+ (ie inc a quantiser)

[s]https://soundcloud.com/danjec/sd-i[/s]
https://www.instagram.com/muncky/p/Bw-MMAIhn5f/



muncky
Was messing about with the guts of the patch so beautifully done by Clockgate, and also having a first crack at actually using a camera instead of a phone to capture it....

http://vimeo.com/340215835

(Sorry - no idea how to embed Vimeo hmmm..... )
visible cow
That is so good, Munky. I decided to order an easel first but really hope to get one of these panels sometime soon. The VV3+ seems like a great complement to the Sing to Me.
southphillysynths
I ended up with one of these panels, slightly different than the original because it has the '73 filter in place of the VCFQ.

Thinking of expanding the panel with another and trying to stay to a 2 panel system.

For a start I'm thinking quad slope but not sure where to go after that...
qwoned
perhaps a TKB or SEQ/Programmer if possible? but maybe more exigent would be a logic/boolean function block (r*s divide and compare?) + dual vca? could maybe fit both in a XL boat… (obviously SEQ8 would save room and $). the more utility modules the better…
Prunesquallor
southphillysynths wrote:
Thinking of expanding the panel with another and trying to stay to a 2 panel system.


You haven't said how you're controlling it, but if you are trying to keep within a two-panel system, then maybe a sequencer panel would be the best choice?

Having said that, I've been thinking about my next step as well. This won't be until next year, but I'm thinking of running away with the Buchla thing. There would be refinements, of course, but you get the idea.

qwoned
I've seen that R*S 4x4 won't fit in a LW format boat, is this correct? what have others done to solve this problem in order to maintain the modularity afforded by LW format?
Prunesquallor
qwoned wrote:
I've seen that R*S 4x4 won't fit in a LW format boat, is this correct? what have others done to solve this problem in order to maintain the modularity afforded by LW format?


I'd be losing the R*S 4x4 panel. The PCBs would be part of a custom boat, similar to the LW D-Materialize panel.
southphillysynths
Prunesquallor

I don't find I sequence much, I have sequencers in Euro if I really wanted to do that but I mostly make drone/soundscapes so I was thinking of trying to limit myself to slopes and switches to make sort of stepped modulations from there.
Prunesquallor
southphillysynths wrote:
Prunesquallor

I don't find I sequence much, I have sequencers in Euro if I really wanted to do that but I mostly make drone/soundscapes so I was thinking of trying to limit myself to slopes and switches to make sort of stepped modulations from there.


Gotcha!
fredguy
Recently arrived BB-258 sequenced by Bugbrand Seq1

[s]http://soundcloud.com/fredguy-1/lwbb2[/s]
ym2612
Very inspiring patches in here!
Prunesquallor
fredguy wrote:
Recently arrived BB-258 sequenced by Bugbrand Seq1

[s]http://soundcloud.com/fredguy-1/lwbb2[/s]


Cool! Could you draw your patch Timoka stylee?
fredguy
Prunesquallor wrote:
fredguy wrote:
Recently arrived BB-258 sequenced by Bugbrand Seq1

[s]http://soundcloud.com/fredguy-1/lwbb2[/s]


Cool! Could you draw your patch Timoka stylee?


I don’t have a patch sheet since I swapped the ring mod and dtg for a dusg.
That said here’s a photo.

Blue bananas are from the Seq1. Yellow and purple are the outputs.

Prunesquallor
thumbs up cool
Peake
Some seriously impressive sound demos here but you already know that
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Buchla, EMS & Serge  
Page 1 of 2
Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group