MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Shall I sell my A-110 VCOs and Get the TipTop Smart VCO?
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules Goto page 1, 2  Next [all]
Author Shall I sell my A-110 VCOs and Get the TipTop Smart VCO?
Bi Mon Sci Fi Con
OK.

Totally success on the last suggestion/purchase (A-137 Wave Multiplier)...

Cheers! No buyers remorse!

The question is, how is the TipTop VCO z3000? Anyone got one?

It sounds a little too good to be true.

The only Modular VCOs i have experienced is the Doepfer A-110, I have a couple, It does the job but i've always been unhappy with the Sine wave and had a feeling it was at the lower end of the VCO market.

I'll have to sell the A-110s to buy TipTop VCOs?

A good move or stupidity?

They're quite affordable. So it'll be a pretty much straight swap plus a little extra cash (God bless the weak Dollar!).

Thoughts?
Bi Mon Sci Fi Con
Right...

I just realized there is a 5 page thread about the TipTop VCO right under this one...

With sound examples & videos and all. All the info you could possibly need to know... Right there and i didn't see it!

So sue me!

People who have both A-110s & z3000s, Which one would you rather have?
parasitk
I don't have either, but if you're not happy with the A-110, why not try the TipTop? grin
timmah
argitoth?
NV
The TipTop VCO is certainly shaping up to be quite an interesting piece, but if it is a matter of selling off all of your VCOs in order to purchase different VCOs that have only recently gone on sale I think it seems to be a bit of a gamble. Why not replace just one of your VCOs rather than both, then regroup and make an informed comparison between the Doepfer and TipTop (or whatever VCO you decide upon)? You can always sell and replace the second Doepfer later if you decide to do so.
dkcg
You would want a second oscillator with the Z3000...something to sync to and/or something to FM it. I just got one and started playing with it tonight, but you would get full benefit of it and other oscillators by having a second, or 3rd. The M15 is a little finicky with syncing the saw output, you need an inverter and a little gain possibly to sync it to an M15. RS-95e pairs up nicely. Any saw with a ramp going downwards (or pulse wave) should be able to get the Z3000 to hard sync.
GCF
timmah wrote:
argitoth?

I had that feeling, too.

I really like the name Bi Mon Sci Fi Con, though. I just referenced that the other day.
neandrewthal
timmah wrote:
argitoth?

Ouch, that's harsh.
Bi Mon Sci Fi Con
Thanks guys.

To be honest, If i would have seen the massive post below i probably wouldn't have posted.

I've been wanting to get another VCO for a while, One that's not too pricey.

I've had my mind set on the Plan B M15 for a while but the TipTop VCO looks really good.

Obviously, I'll buy and sell the VCOs one at a time.

Thanks again for replying.

p.s. i don't get the in jokes...
Soy Sos
The jokes are refering to these absurd rants on modularsynth.net
mostly between members Peake, Argitoth and Hexfix93 about
oscillator stability, tracking and tuning. They went on and on
about the purity of sine waves and the "vintage" characteristics
of sawtooth waves. Annoying and mind numbing. Check it out!
thumbs up
Chuck E. Jesus
i don't really get the whole sine wave issue tbh...i didn't have an analog osc that made a sine wave until i got a Doepfer A-110 (which certainly isn't "pure", but there is a fix i understand)...is it more from younger cats who've come up with digital, or the old schoolers doing additive? or is for linear FM (my only experience is with digital, i have no linear FM analog atm)...
e-grad
ross g wrote:
i don't really get the whole sine wave issue tbh... [...] or is for linear FM (my only experience is with digital, i have no linear FM analog atm)...

Yep, it's nice for FM sounds to have a sinoid as pure as possible and for certain ring mod. sounds as well.
Bi Mon Sci Fi Con
I'm not after the most pure Sine wave known to man but the A-110 sounds pretty weak & noisy to my ears. I really like the A-110 but i find myself not using the sine because of how i feel about it.

I'm on a budget as well so there's gonna have to be a compromise in sound vs. cost.

Tracking, tuning & syncing etc doesn't really matter to me as i don't use a keyboard with my modular and very very rarely do sequenced stuff from midi. I have the Doepfer midi to cv but hardly use it. For the 'tuneful' stuff i sometimes do i mostly use my Pro One or Juno 6 for 'playing'.

I guess it's whatever you do with it really... Most of the time when i'm doing very quiet, subtle, slow moving stuff i want the Sines to be cleaner and as you said, with the FM sounds as well. Just my preference...

Cheers Chaps!
indexofmetals
if you do want a good sounding sine, my favourite is the plan b model 15, best sine available imho (I'll keep hounding peter every so often for a sine filter bank of it)

re the doepfer vco's, I had two and was much happier when I was rid of them and only had a single metalbox bi-n-tic vco
Bi Mon Sci Fi Con
indexofmetals: Thanks for the info!

The model 15 was down as the VCO i was going to upgrade too but i have heard quite a few horror stories about Plan B recently.

z3000 sounds might tempting. I'll have to wait until people start using them properly and see what they have to say...

Now we play... the waiting game...
Cat-A-Tonic
I was under the impression that the 'purest' sines were produced by oscillating filters.
The Mankato would be damn cool in that respect, but it has yet to grace a Eurorack.
Alot of other filters that track 1v/oct would be great too.
Peake
Soy Sos wrote:
The jokes are refering to these absurd rants on modularsynth.net
mostly between members Peake, Argitoth and Hexfix93 about
oscillator stability, tracking and tuning. They went on and on
about the purity of sine waves and the "vintage" characteristics
of sawtooth waves. Annoying and mind numbing. Check it out!
thumbs up

If you can't hear it, it obviously doesn't exist! hihi
Chuck E. Jesus
Peake wrote:

If you can't hear it, it obviously doesn't exist! hihi

it's easy to hear the weird little bump in the A-110 osc sine...i'm not the most experienced synth dude in the world, but i've used a variety of analog over the years including several "vintage" bits (emu modular/arp 2500/old moogs)...it seems all the new-fangled oscs available have somehow made the A-110s the worst osc on earth, not sure how that dynamic plays out...i still enjoy subtractive synthesis, the saw and square still sound good to me, ymmv as they say....hopefully everyone dumping their A-110s for the latest and greatest will allow some poor talented kid a break on some cool ass mods...the old (and i'm getting pretty fucking old) purists can baby their rigs, everyone will be happy....
Soy Sos
Jeeeeez...........Peake d'oh! sad
Of course I can hear the difference, I'm just not that fixated on that
aspect of synthesis. I'm personally into other things like distortion,
feedback loops, echos and all kinds of grimey shit. I like Dub, African,
Death Metal and Bebop. I like Sushi, Pho and Curry Goat.
I'm also fully aware that this is a modular synthesizer forum.
So if folks want to pick away, so be it.
felix
Soy Sos wrote:
...So if folks want to pick away, so be it.

Actually, I'll assert my moderator power here and warn that should this turn into one of those threads, I'll lock it down.
parasitk
felix wrote:
Soy Sos wrote:

Actually, I'll assert my moderator power here and warn that should this turn into one of those threads, I'll lock it down.

love love love
neandrewthal
parasitk wrote:
felix wrote:
Soy Sos wrote:

love love love

I would hate to see that happen here cry We'll play nice, we pwomise.
felix
I don't doubt it. Just putting it out there just in case. wink
parasitk
Besides, there's another entire forum out there just for that already! hihi
johnnymad
parasitk wrote:
Besides, there's another entire forum out there just for that already! hihi

lol lol lol
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules Goto page 1, 2  Next [all]
Page 1 of 2