Ritual Electronics Altar: state variable filter

Cwejman, Livewire, TipTop Audio, Doepfer etc... Get your euro on!

Moderators: Kent, Joe., analogdigital, infradead, lisa, parasitk, plord

pieter
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Ritual Electronics Altar: state variable filter

Post by pieter » Sat Nov 17, 2018 5:24 am

Just spotted this on Modular Grid:

The feature set looks very nice, especially the continuous color control. There are some demos on the product page: http://ritualelectronics.com/altar.html

brickman
Veteran Wiggler

Post by brickman » Sat Nov 17, 2018 7:36 am

Some pretty savage sounds in those demos. Looking forward to this one.

motorhead412
Common Wiggler

Post by motorhead412 » Sat Nov 17, 2018 12:32 pm

eager for more demos :hyper:

droningspaghettimonster
Veteran Wiggler

Post by droningspaghettimonster » Sat Nov 17, 2018 1:28 pm

:ripbanana:

Terdjman
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Terdjman » Sat Nov 17, 2018 3:58 pm

There is a new demo on the website.
Roland TR808 -> Mutable Instruments Ears -> Ritual Electronics Altar -> 2HP Delay
CV inputs are modulated with random CVs and Ear's enveloppe follower

More demos are coming soon!

droningspaghettimonster
Veteran Wiggler

Post by droningspaghettimonster » Mon Nov 19, 2018 6:39 pm

free bump

3 pole state variable vcf with cv in over filter mode. . . i'm very excited. is it based on 303? sounds super mean in the demos

Terdjman
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Terdjman » Tue Nov 20, 2018 2:38 am

It is not based on any other filters.
Just mathematics and analog circuit wizardry.
The filter core has been designed by my mate Mathieu who has developed the Hermod for Squarp - solid guy

droningspaghettimonster
Veteran Wiggler

Post by droningspaghettimonster » Tue Nov 20, 2018 8:02 am

great! makes me want it even more. :oops:

droningspaghettimonster
Veteran Wiggler

Post by droningspaghettimonster » Sun Dec 23, 2018 3:16 am

eagerly awaiting the ben_hex demo... the input drive is very interesting, and please do some audio rate modulation of the color input. :yay: :yay: :yay:

Terdjman
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Terdjman » Sun Dec 23, 2018 4:10 am

Ben has the module in hands :razz:
Curious about what he is going to do with it too. He really impressed me with Miasma to be honest.

pieter
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by pieter » Sun Dec 23, 2018 4:13 am

Ben's video is why I bought the Miasma... :party:

neil.johnson
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by neil.johnson » Sun Dec 23, 2018 6:09 pm

Terdjman wrote:It is not based on any other filters.
Just mathematics and analog circuit wizardry.
The filter core has been designed by my mate Mathieu who has developed the Hermod for Squarp - solid guy
Great to see another 3-pole state-variable filter design out there! What's your main filter element composed of? Is it another 2164-based design?

Thanks,
Neil
Modular stuff :: http://www.njohnson.co.uk

nolongerhuman
Veteran Wiggler

Post by nolongerhuman » Sun Dec 23, 2018 7:34 pm

I’ve been anticipating this quite a bit, as well as the Miasma coming back in stock. :bananaguitar:

mathieu.fr
1-Post Wiggler

Post by mathieu.fr » Mon Jan 28, 2019 5:30 am

Hi everyone !

Mathieu here, I designed the filter. I figure it would be a good idea to explain a little bit the why and how's of Altar. And also I didn't have a Muffwiggler account before, shame on me.

So I initially created the filter for a polyphonic synthesizer I'm working on, but another project got in the way, the synth probably won't be released before quite a long time. However I really wanted to make the filter available ... Nicolas agreed to sell it as a Ritual Electronics module, which is great !

Now the how ...
I wanted a unique filter. I started with my favorite filter cell : a discrete version of the SSM2040 OTA with modern single-die transistor pair. The continuous color was also a must for the filter so it had to be a SVF. I initially started with 2 poles, it was ok, but I like my filter a little more punchy. And also there was a similar schematic by J. Haible somewhere on the internet, so it was a no go. I went back to Matlab and wiggled a bit with op-amp arythmetic to find a way to 3-pole that thing ... I'm quite happy with the result.

Due to the type of the cells, the signal has an assymetrical clipping inside the filter, which gives a subtle, interesting overdrive. We decided to make it possible to overdrive the input directly on the filter.

The wait for the first batch should be over soon !

Cheers,
Mathieu

pieter
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by pieter » Mon Jan 28, 2019 6:15 am

Great first post! :tu:
I am looking forward to this filter.

groovar
Common Wiggler

Post by groovar » Mon Feb 11, 2019 9:31 am

Love the miasma and crime. Looking forward to this

honeyb
Common Wiggler

Post by honeyb » Mon Feb 11, 2019 12:59 pm

mathieu.fr wrote:Hi everyone !

Mathieu here, I designed the filter. I

Now the how ...
I wanted a unique filter. I started with my favorite filter cell : a discrete version of the SSM2040 OTA with modern single-die transistor pair. The continuous color was also a must for the filter so it had to be a SVF. I initially started with 2 poles, it was ok, but I like my filter a little more punchy. And also there was a similar schematic by J. Haible somewhere on the internet, so it was a no go. I went back to Matlab and wiggled a bit with op-amp arythmetic to find a way to 3-pole that thing ... I'm quite happy with the result.

Due to the type of the cells, the signal has an assymetrical clipping inside the filter, which gives a subtle, interesting overdrive. We decided to make it possible to overdrive the input directly on the filter.

Mathieu
I'm a fan of SVFs, love the math and the multiple outputs. Thanks for creating this awesome sounding circuit!

Terdjman
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Terdjman » Mon Feb 11, 2019 4:34 pm

Altar will be out on Wednesday!
Available direct from the website and soon at dealers, we hope.
Street price is 260 euros.

Here is a small video to keep you waiting!

adaris
Wiggling with Experience

Post by adaris » Mon Feb 11, 2019 8:05 pm

groovar wrote:Love the miasma and crime. Looking forward to this
+1

Terdjman
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Terdjman » Thu Feb 14, 2019 10:03 am

Altar is now available directly from us!
http://ritualelectronics.com/altar
Be sure to check Divkid's amazing video too

adaris
Wiggling with Experience

Post by adaris » Tue Mar 05, 2019 6:56 am

Has anyone received one of these yet, or even been notified that theirs has shipped? I ordered on 2/14 and was told they would ship by the end of last week and I'm still waiting to be notified........I love Miasma and Crime and I've been looking forward to Altar but I feel like if you say your product is "now available", it shouldn't take 3 weeks to ship.

adaris
Wiggling with Experience

Post by adaris » Thu Mar 07, 2019 9:15 am

I did finally receive my Altar this morning, so I'm satisfied. I would point out though that a simple email notifying customers that their item has shipped would prevent any misunderstandings / frustration. This isn't just directed at Ritual Electronics, I've had this experience with other manufacturers as well.

Euro Trash Bazooka
Common Wiggler

Post by Euro Trash Bazooka » Thu Mar 07, 2019 12:59 pm

When you are pretty much a one-man operation that's at its beginner stage, that your modules are assembled by hand and that the orders pile up, I'm not sure emails to say something has shipped are what matters when it comes to your priorities. I'm not sure posts that mention such complaints are very useful, especially when it comes to small businesses. 3 weeks is less than the time some packages take to pass through the international customs in France sometimes by the way.

adaris
Wiggling with Experience

Post by adaris » Thu Mar 07, 2019 1:28 pm

Euro Trash Bazooka wrote:When you are pretty much a one-man operation that's at its beginner stage, that your modules are assembled by hand and that the orders pile up, I'm not sure emails to say something has shipped are what matters when it comes to your priorities. I'm not sure posts that mention such complaints are very useful, especially when it comes to small businesses. 3 weeks is less than the time some packages take to pass through the international customs in France sometimes by the way.
Well you know you're entitled to your opinion, but it takes all of 2 minutes to send an email saying "your item has shipped, here's the tracking number". Which by the way I was told I would be given, but wasn't. Your customers should always be a priority in any small business, that is if you care about them doing business with you again. All's well that ends well but I don't think it's asking too much as a paying customer to expect a shipping notification and a tracking number, and when I email the manufacturer inquiring about my order and they don't respond, well then I'm going to feel compelled to post online. YMMV.

Euro Trash Bazooka
Common Wiggler

Post by Euro Trash Bazooka » Thu Mar 07, 2019 2:18 pm

I don't want to clutter threads with useless bickering so I won't reply.

I got my 3 modules from him today. Great packaging, awesome build quality, fair prices. Perfect, as far as I'm concerned.

Return to “Eurorack Modules”