MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Which modern DAW supports this loop recording mode?
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Music Software  
Author Which modern DAW supports this loop recording mode?
mritenburg
I started my computer based music production journey using Hybrid Arts Edit Track Pro on Atari ST. Edit Track Pro has a loop record mode that I have yet to find in a modern DAW.

Basically, in Edit Track Pro, you set two loop points and the sequencer will cycle between those points. It constantly monitors a buffer for new notes. If you added new notes, Edit Track writes them out to a new track on the completion of the cycle between the two loop points. There are a few unique aspects this:

1. First, you can hear every new track as it is added,
2. You can re-channelize each track on the fly while in loop record mode,and
3. You can separate all takes to their own tracks

I know many modern DAWs have loop record modes, but I have yet to find a modern DAW that supports all of these features.

Does anyone know of a modern DAW that has a loop record mode that can compete with EDIT TRACK Pro?

Panason
You can do similar with Ableton Live or Bitwig once you figure out how to set it up. Bitwig seems better in general but I have yet to make the jump from Ableton. Basically once you've recorded a clip you can duplicate it and jump to the new clip without stopping playback, and then you can continue recording into this new clip. You can actually do this with entire scenes, which is a group of clips that play together.
You can also use MIDI foot switches for operating the software like a looper pedal, or analog foot switches through a MIDI controller.

To have newly added notes on separate tracks you just create MIDI tracks set to send to the same MIDI channel, and use the "arm record" buttons as needed... but these DAWs will not automatically place new takes on separate MIDI tracks as this isn't something many people would want.
pottering
You are talking about something like this (from another software of the same company)?

http://www.oldschooldaw.com/forums/index.php?topic=4050.0

Quote:
One of the advanced features of the package is that you can select your record track after you've played a section - so you need never lose your best performance (which, as we all know is always the session before the first take). This is perhaps the most important facility of EZ-Track Plus and is possible because the software records everything that arrives at the MIDI In. This data, which can be note information, patch changes, or pitch and modulation data, is then stored in a MIDI buffer. If you want to keep any given performance you select the track to which you wish to save it and then press the Keep button. This nondestructive editing enables you to save a recording to any track no matter where the track pointer was at the time you played the piece.

This is close to how a feature called "Capture" works in Ableton Live 10.

It keeps recording everything the user plays with MIDI, there is a button you click to save it to a "Clip". You don't need to set loop points beforehand, but the track needs to be armed to record or input-monitored.

It can overdub while you are a playing a MIDI loop (again, even if you were not recording).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9rnilJNJ0dM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MoK_TDzzVto

Even the OEM version (bundled "free" with hardware), Live Lite 10, has that feature, and Live Suite 10 has a 30-day fully-functional demo too.
TXBDan
Cubase can do that. It just stacks up takes as it records and then you can view them all as lanes. You can then cut them up and pick the best parts, etc to combine into the best take evar.
Entrainer
TXBDan wrote:
Cubase can do that. It just stacks up takes as it records and then you can view them all as lanes. You can then cut them up and pick the best parts, etc to combine into the best take evar.

As can Logic.
mritenburg
TXBDan wrote:

Entrainer wrote:

As can Logic.

Thanks for your input. In Cubase and Logic are you able to hear each take as they are added while you are in record mode? Also, can you unpack each take/pass to their own track after stopping recording?

By the way Entrainer, love your avatar!!!
Chevron87
I am not sure Logic works how you would like it to, perhaps Cubase?
mritenburg
So far, I've tried:

Ableton
Cubase
Reaper
Sonar
Studio One

None of them do it the way I'm looking for.

Studio One is my main DAW, and it's close with the loop record mode and unpack takes to tracks.

Ableton Live 10 is also close, but not exact.
pottering
Quote:
2. You can re-channelize each track on the fly while in loop record mode

Maybe this was already included in the "close but not exact", but you can do something that sounds like "re-channelize" using "External Instrument" device (Standard and Suite versions only), which despite the name can be used to route internally.

You can load several in a "Rack", each one routing to a different Track (channel) , then switch between then realtime (with a MIDI knob for example).

(Same thing if you want to route to actual external devices, of course)

That works for routing into actual MIDI channels too (if that's what "re-channelize" meant), and the Racks have fading between the Chains (name of the internal channels inside a Rack), if you want smoother realtime change.

And if you simply want to test how the MIDI sounds with different instruments in realtime, then you can do the same thing but skip the External Instrument device, you can load the instruments directly in the parallel Chains inside a Rack, in a single track, and switch them realtime.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=27vb9d4xajo

https://djtechtools.com/2017/05/28/augmenting-ableton-5-creative-tips- with-external-devices/
mritenburg
pottering wrote:
Quote:
2. You can re-channelize each track on the fly while in loop record mode

Maybe this was already included in the "close but not exact", but you can do something that sounds like "re-channelize" using "External Instrument" device (Standard and Suite versions only), which despite the name can be used to route internally.

You can load several in a "Rack", each one routing to a different Track (channel) , then switch between then realtime (with a MIDI knob for example)./

I appreciate the idea. I'll try it out in Ableton. I'm still with in my trial period, but honestly, that sounds really complicated compared to the way Edit Track does it.

In Edit Track all you have to do is enable cycle record mode and the software will automatically create new tracks anytime it completes the recording cycle (loop) and there is new MIDI data in the record buffer. The ability to re-channelize is super simple. You just click to change the channel number.

pottering
Ah, it creates new tracks, I see.

Live doesn't create new tracks automatically for each loop created, but it kinda does the opposite, when you drag a instrument, it creates a new track that is already armed and set to monitor, so you can immediately play into it (which gets always recorded into a buffer in Live 10).

So, instead of:

Just play, which gets always recorded into a buffer > Record (auto-creates a new track) > manually select channel with the instrument you want > (REPEAT)

In Live, it is:

Just play, which gets always recorded into a buffer > Record > manually drag the instrument you want (auto-creates a new track) > (REPEAT)

(I'm assuming "channels" are MIDI channels meant to play different synths or patches.)

I think the number of steps is similar, and both need some mousing.

BTW, What I described in the previous post looks hard mostly because you don't use Live, but it is pretty easy for a Live user, since it is part of its default workflow, all things I mentioned are common tools used all the time in Live (Racks, Chains, External Instrument device).
Panason
I think you can use the Scene functionality in Live while recording where "Duplicate scene" creates a copy of the current clip and continues recording into it..
mritenburg
Panason wrote:
I think you can use the Scene functionality in Live while recording where "Duplicate scene" creates a copy of the current clip and continues recording into it..

Are the takes combined into one clip or can you unpack each take to its own clip? That's really the difference. Pretty much every DAW allows layering takes, but none of them seem to allow unpacking every take to their own tracks/clips or what ever.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Music Software  
Page 1 of 1