MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

ES-1 question/problem? EDIT: largely fixed.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Expert Sleepers  
Author ES-1 question/problem? EDIT: largely fixed.
tuj
just got my ES-1, using the lfo plugin. I have audio registering at full volume on my interface meters, but I am only seeing about 2v or less at the peak of the lfo. Thoughts? Shouldn't I be seeing near 5v?

EDIT: I guess I need to set the gain on the trim pots huh?
os
What's your audio interface?

If it's AC-coupled, are you using the AC Encoder plug-in?
tuj
Its an m-audio fast track usb. I believe it is a/c coupled. ac encoder doesn't seem to make any difference. I guess I just need to up the gain?
os
The lfo plug-in is not a good test - use the DC plug-in and measure the voltage from that. Also remember that the ES-1 jumpers have to be set correctly for AC or DC-coupled usage.

But I see the Fast Track has RCA outputs, so yes, you probably will need to increase the gain.
tuj
increased the gain, the most I was able to get in unipolar operation was only 4.58v while maintaining 0. Bipolar operation was obviously worse, best I could get was in the 2v range +/-. Its almost like the ES-1 needs more gain?

Using the dc generator followed by the enabled ac encoder.

Thoughts?
os
The ES-1's max gain is about 4.5x. In your first post you said you were getting 2V, so I would expect you to be able to get 9V at full gain. Was that initial measurement wrong?

If you want to increase the gain further there are simple modifications you can make.
tuj
Maybe I'm a bit confused on the DC offset. I first tried to calibrate for bipolar adjustment and then returned to trying to adjust for unipolar when I felt the bipolar operation wasn't getting enough gain.

To return to unipolar operation, I first maxed the gain (all the way anti-clockwise right?) and then adjusted the DC offset to get to +5v. Then I set the input from the dc plugin to zero and adjusted the DC offset to get 0v. Then setting the dc plugin back to 1 I got about 4.5v.

Is there a better way to approach this? I would ideally like to get bipolar operation but I'll settle for unipolar if I can't get enough gain. Shooting for -5 to +5 or 0 to +5.
os
Setting max gain (counter-clockwise, correct) and then adjusting for correct zero voltage is a perfectly reasonable calibration approach.

You'll want to set the AC Encoder to bipolar or unipolar appropriately too.

If you're in the mood to make a hardware mod, I'm happy to walk you through it.
tuj
very frustrating d'oh! Changing the ac encoder to unipolar was the trick. Once I did that my zero output was showing -2.1. Then resetting the DC offset with zero output and then checking max at 1 output I got 6.7v, which I then trimmed back to 5v.

So it would appear that +/-5v is out of the question but it looks like I can get 0-5v which is ok by me.

If it helps (and not sure this is the right way to measure this) but I'm seeing 0.7v AC on my interface output.

Thanks!
os
Excellent. w00t
bsmith
You might try sticking that interface on a powered usb hub and see if your voltage situation changes.
tuj
It already is on a hub. Are you using the same interface and getting better voltages?
bsmith
no, I just thought the device getting power besides the computer's usb bus - like from a powered hub - would be something to check out since it wasn't mentioned earlier.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Expert Sleepers  
Page 1 of 1