MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Excellent FX modules in 5U?
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> 5U Format Modules Goto page 1, 2  Next [all]
Author Excellent FX modules in 5U?
nodog
I've got a basic 5U system which I'm selling off because most I'm not using most of the modules enough and I need the space. There are two modules I'm gonna keep because they are fantastic and not easily replaced: the Jürgen Haible Flanger and Tau Pipe Phaser.

As I'm gonna need a small case to put them in I was thinking of maybe leave space for one or more other FX modules. This would make it some sort of über excellent FX modular. By the way, I will be using those FX mainly through the Aux-sends on my mixing desk.

Does anyone have good recommendations for modules for this purpose?
josaka
to be honest.. there are very few top effects in 5u outside of the haible ones.. most(if not al) of the others can be matched or bettered for way less money with guitar peddles and rack outboard..
nodog
josaka wrote:
to be honest.. there are very few top effects in 5u outside of the haible ones.. most(if not al) of the others can be matched or bettered for way less money with guitar peddles and rack outboard..

Thanks, I've been on the look out for some time now and came a bit to the same conclusion but I was hoping I missed one or two good ones.

Maybe I should try and get a Haible Triple chorus to complement my set but it seems they're not easily available.
Dave Peck
Have you seen this?

https://steamsynth.com/shop/moog-unit-modules/fx-capacitor-mu-model-13 50/

But other than that, yeah, not a lot of dedicated effects modules in 5U/MU.

My 'secret weapon' for effects is a Nord modular G2 'Engine' that I use as a dedicated 4 in, 4 out mondo multi-effects processor. I love it because the graphic editor lets you patch it like a real hardware modular, so you can make extremely complex effects patches with multiple reverbs, chorus, delay, pitch shifter, distortion, filters, whatever, and it is far easier to do those types of things on the 'Engine' than on other high-end studio multi-effects processors, which I find difficult to program.
josaka
nodog wrote:
josaka wrote:

Thanks, I've been on the look out for some time now and came a bit to the same conclusion but I was hoping I missed one or two good ones.

Maybe I should try and get a Haible Triple chorus to complement my set but it seems they're not easily available.

the haible flanger is great.. but its expensive. the triple chorus is available on the 5u facebook sales page for €300ish also the haible pitch shifter is great.. but once again.. you can get similar/better results for way less cost..
nodog
Thanks for the tips. I haven't seen that FX capacitator before but it seems just a tad too limited for the price. The G2 option sounds good. A bit different from what I'm looking for in this thread but I'm gonna check it out.

Mmmm, I don't do Facebook but I'll check that page at some mates' place. I do have the Flanger and it's freaking awesome. But I guess you're right about other options. I've got a H3000 and the chorus and pitch shift FX are obviously very good on that thing. Pitch shift might be cool with CV modulation though. I never heard of that JH pitch shifter so will check it out.
Dr Gris
The Triple Chorus on Facebook is sold by Muff member dsl-man. A real pro DIY builder.
Send him a PM through here.
I can also text him that you're interested if you want?

//M
Rex Coil 7
josaka wrote:
What the hell is a "guitar peddle"?

lol lol lol

guitar pedal
Rex Coil 7
Dave Peck wrote:
... My 'secret weapon' for effects is a Nord modular ...
'Tis the shyte!
nodog
Dr Gris wrote:
The Triple Chorus on Facebook is sold by Muff member dsl-man. A real pro DIY builder.

//M

Hey, thanks! I couldn't find him in the userlist so if you wouldn't mind please ask him to contact me. Cheers!
Dr Gris
nodog wrote:
Dr Gris wrote:

//M

Hey, thanks! I couldn't find him in the userlist so if you wouldn't mind please ask him to contact me. Cheers!

Ooops... his name is LED-man over here. Sorry about that!

//M
Dr Gris
And his homepage with 5U modules (amongst other stuff)

https://www.dsl-man.de/plugins/servlet/mobile?contentId=884822#content  /view/884822

//M
josaka
these are lovely .. not sure why more designs dont incorporate stylish parts like these do.. makes all the difference.. part of 5u's wall of defiance I guess..

JohnLRice
I'd agree that compared to guitar pedals and rack effects, 5U effects modules are over priced and/or very limited. That said, they can sound great, look awesome and are fun! This is fun!

Modcan made some great B series ones but unfortunately haven't been produced in years so snagging a used one can be near impossible (although occasionally happens).
http://www.modcan.com/

Take a look through this list on ModularGrid to see if something looks interesting and ask about it here thumbs up
https://www.modulargrid.net/d/modules/browser?SearchFunction=20
ranix
I agree, rack effects are waaay cheaper. In this era of fast ADCs and blazing fast processors even the cheapest of the cheap rack fx unit is pretty impressive. I recently picked up a Behringer fx2000 up off ebay for $75 and I'm enjoying it. 20 years ago that thing would have been waaaaay more expensive (and not Behringer). YMMV though, cheap shit tends to fall apart.
hsosdrum
josaka wrote:
these are lovely .. not sure why more designs dont incorporate stylish parts like these do.. makes all the difference.. part of 5u's wall of defiance I guess..

OK, I LOVE those frequency dials! They make it look like you need to be a safe cracker to be able to tune the oscillators. love
nodog
Thanks for the info Dr Gris. I'll manage now. screaming goo yo
Synthbuilder
josaka wrote:

Vernier dials are excellent. But good ones are very expensive. And cheap ones, while looking good, can be quite short lived and feel like shoite.

While looking into such things for the Oakley MAP I found the I preferred a big but simple control knob on a decent multiturn pot. It lacked the good looks of a vernier dial, and any visual indication of where you actually were on the dials rotation, but felt good. If you are of a certain age you may remember a similar feel on 1970's hifi tuners.

As for effects pedals - for reverb and delay nothing is quite going to beat the Eventides, Strymons and their ilk. But distortion, overdrive, phasers, choruses and flangers are, in my opinion, dealt with well in 5U without having to go the pedal route. Lack of CV control on most pedals is their biggest disadvantage, as well as signal level differences and poor physical integration. Don't get me wrong I love pedals - I had to have a purge last year because I was overflowing with the little fellas - but they do have their limitations.

Tony
josaka
there are all sorts of lovely bits on synths from then.. they just cared more..
or the standards/competition were higher.. anyhoo..
over the years quality has eroded.. generally over most things ..
...we need to fight back with some original marquee things !!.. quite often they dont even have to be a crazy price just a bit of imagination.. smile
kindredlost
I guess for me the cost factor is true as well but I always try to balance the use of control voltage on an effect module before ruling out the higher cost. Some include CV more than others so it is something to watch for.

For instance, I like the SSL Digital Delay for it's cv input. The Modcan 73B Dual Delay has a lot of control inputs and can really get wild. It's hard to find now but Free State FX has the MFOS Dual Delay in stock for a great price. It is very well appointed with control inputs.

The Encore Frequency Shifter has CV input as well. I wish there was a 5U version of the SynthesisTechnology E560 Deflector Shield. It's a beast.

The Free State FX 102 Clouds Granular Processor is still one of my favorite effects modules in any format. It is too useful to be ignored for pads and pitch shifting/granulation.

If I were putting together an effects cabinet I'd strongly consider room for a filter to shape the sound from and too these modules. Something like either a fixed filter bank or the Grove PM Resonator or FSFX Haible Resonators would be useful to hone the sounds. Also, if you are using this as a general effects bank for signals from non-modular sources then a proper signal attenuator/boost module might be useful like a Synthesizers.com Q114++ or something related.
Just me
I like my JH frequency shifter quite a bit.
Dob
I tend to use my 5U/MOTM incarnation of the Mutable Clouds over everything.
It shines when modulated.
Next to all the granular stuff it does delay and dedicated reverb too. (dedicated reverb: at least in one of the popular firmwares)
Free State FX has a build as well, being FSFX 102: Granular Audio Processor.

They also have a Mutable Rings incarnation, being the FSFX 107 Supra Resonator. Pretty versatile, very much so as send fx. But it does add 'notes' or chords which can become a... gosh.... harmony problem?

And last but not least; the Blacet Timemachine!! Because of all the modulation possibilities it's a beast. I use the internal LFO with trigger reset a lot. Often just for some fuzzy/loopy/noisy/ambient background shizzle.
There's nothing else out there that does it. A bucket brigade delay is pretty useless as stompbox, in comparison.

Oh and... (I thought I did not know how to answer this).... the Corsynth C105 Voltage Controlled Noise / Lo-Fi Machine !!!
An analog sample rate reducer under voltage control... what more could you want?! I use it for drum sounds mainly but there is a plethora of usages.
Now I come to think of it... this would be nice in a delay loop.
nodog
Excellent info and good tips, thank you folks!

I have the e560, clouds and rings in my eurorack so won't go that way in 5U but either the MFOS or Blacet delay would be a cool addition. I can't find that MFOS module for sale at the Free State FX website though. Where did you see that one for sale if i might ask you kindredlost?

The C105 looks very interesting also, mmmm... I was initially trying to sell stuff and now it seems I'll be buying more stuff first again. The life of a modular owner in a nutshell? applause
Dob
nodog wrote:
Where did you see that one for sale if i might ask you kindredlost?

Rich builds them
https://richsstudioproject.wordpress.com/mfos-voltage-controlled-echo/
Maybe others do too..?
josaka
I would be carefull with effect that you are buying because you can "modulate them in 5u" they will just sit there most of the time costing a lot taking up precious space .. if you want 'modulation" (most dont use it regularly) gae a midi efx rack ..less money way more options etc..
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> 5U Format Modules Goto page 1, 2  Next [all]
Page 1 of 2