MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

uJOVE, micro version of JUVE multimode filter
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules  
Author uJOVE, micro version of JUVE multimode filter
Shayshez
I'm happy to introduce my recent project, uJOVE, micro version (8HP) of System80 JOVE filter.
JOVE is one of my favourites filters, multimode with LP24, LP12, BP and HP that inspired from Roland Jupiter 6 filter.

https://youtu.be/qpCmzDNtNPw

uJove is the same circuit and sounds exactly as the original Jove.
I added 2 extra mods:
- Level 2 act as positive feedback control when no jack plugged to input 2
- Input 2 can be clipped and not only attenuate.

the module will be available only as DIY project at Pusherman store (in month or so).

veets
Damn! I just bought the 14hp Jove from Pusherman last week.
motorhead412
nice!
mrerdat
This is great! The 14hp version is too bloated for any single channel filter I'd put in the rack.
Shayshez
Iv'e got few spares pcb's and aluminium panels that I can sell if anybody interested.
drowld
waaa nice

I'm getting one it's a no brainer at this size
Shayshez
Here is video with sound demo and explanation about uJove extra mods (read video descriptions at YouTube)
https://youtu.be/qpCmzDNtNPw
Nagasaki45
The module looks and sounds super nice! Just one question, out of interest: From my very basic understanding of filters, resonance is just an internal feedback loop. Does the added feedback mod mean that there are 2 different types of resonance for the uJove? If so, can you clarify the difference between them?

Thanks and well done again!
Tom
Shayshez
Nagasaki45 wrote:
The module looks and sounds super nice! Just one question, out of interest: From my very basic understanding of filters, resonance is just an internal feedback loop. Does the added feedback mod mean that there are 2 different types of resonance for the uJove? If so, can you clarify the difference between them?

Thanks and well done again!
Tom

Hi Tom, great question!
Resonance is inverted feedback (negative feedback), I added to uJove positive feedback with extra 6db of gain.
as you can hear from my video it's sounds totally different from the resonance and can drive the filter to new timbers.
actually you can patch positive feedback with any filter, just split the output (with stackable cable or mult) and use mixer in front of your filter to mix the feedback loop with the signal that goes in to the filter.
behndy
just curious, is this done with the consent of the original builder? i know Mutable publish all their code as Open Source after a run or two, did System 80 go that route too?
mrerdat
Yes, it's open source hardware.
behndy
cooooool. kinda a silly question, ShayZeeZee seems like a super stand up dooder.

looooove the 1uo_C i just got in.
Shayshez
behndy wrote:
just curious, is this done with the consent of the original builder? i know Mutable publish all their code as Open Source after a run or two, did System 80 go that route too?

It’s open sorce with different license then Mutable.
CC BY-NC-SA license allowes to remix the project but not allowing commercial use.
I talked with the original developer (system 80) and got his confirmation to sell pcb’s and panels (we not allowed to sell assembled modules).
djd_oz
Are there any plans for factory built modules?
Shayshez
djd_oz wrote:
Are there any plans for factory built modules?

No, only DIY.
behndy
nice! yeah, was just curious, not accusing you of anything shady. i'm relatively new to euro, not sure how some of the fine points work.

thanks for the explanation!
groovar
Anyone here wanna build me one of these bad boys
Trebbers
That's not allowed by the license.
groovar
I read that I was just looking for a tech. I would screw something up. Love the smaller size nice work
Gordon Cole
I know a really good tech who will build you one. You can reach him through his website:

http://system80.net/
groovar
Lol I did and I love it!
spilthyfred
Looks lovely! It seems they are out of stock at Pusherman however.. hmmm.....
Shayshez
spilthyfred wrote:
Looks lovely! It seems they are out of stock at Pusherman however.. hmmm.....

Pusherman will restock soon
Silver
Anyone have a mouser cart set up for this? Thanks
cackland
Analog circuit with digital filter selection?
neonmercury1
Silver wrote:
i just placed a mouser order and im pretty sure its all correct and there but of course it would be best to check and make sure. but here is the mouser project.

https://www.mouser.com/ProjectManager/ProjectDetail.aspx?AccessID=7168 3d176d
moogah
cackland wrote:

BOM shows DG409 and CD4052 multiplexers in there, so I'd guess this is the same or similar technique as on the original JP6.
cackland
moogah wrote:
cackland wrote:

BOM shows DG409 and CD4052 multiplexers in there, so I'd guess this is the same or similar technique as on the original JP6.

Roger.. should have checked the BOM eek!
Silver
neonmercury1 wrote:
Silver wrote:
i just placed a mouser order and im pretty sure its all correct and there but of course it would be best to check and make sure. but here is the mouser project.

Thanks!
neonmercury1
Silver wrote:
neonmercury1 wrote:
Silver wrote:

Thanks!

yeah i just made it yesterday because i couldnt find one and was going to post it when i saw you asked for it today so it was perfect timing. please let me know if you find any errors seeing that i just ordered yesterday.
vafu
Just finished mine, and with all modes I can hear noticeable amount of high frequencies passing through even with fully closed filter.
Where can I start looking for a problem ?
Maybe I just messed with some resistor values...
mrerdat
I have a pair of uJoves and experience the same bleed with highs leaking through with a fully closed filter. Just a guess, but maybe this has to do with the feedback modification being hard wired into the circuit.

I might one of these days cut the feedback PCB trace to find out...
Prunesquallor
Not 2 hp? Fail! Haha!
necrobious
mrerdat wrote:
I have a pair of uJoves and experience the same bleed with highs leaking through with a fully closed filter. Just a guess, but maybe this has to do with the feedback modification being hard wired into the circuit.

I have three uJoves i built up a few months back, never noticed bleed (admittedly, my hearing isnt what it used to be). Does the bleeding show up on an oscilloscope?
mrerdat
I don't have an oscilloscope to test but it's mainly audible when you have a really quiet patch with the filter closed all the way. It's not a huge problem when other stuff is happening in the same patch (drums, other voices, etc)

It's like there's a very quiet (maybe -20dB or so) partially filtered copy of the signal bleeding through. This is a problem if you are using the LPF modes to mute the signal completely because a little bit of leakage is still audible.

I'll cut the trace on one and report back. It'll be easy to repair if I want to undo it. If I wanted feedback after the trace is cut I can always just recreate that signal path by patching.
mrerdat
Well just bypassed the feedback circuit- cut two traces and soldered the output TL074 pin directly to R2 and.....

I was wrong! Even with the feedback path disabled the slight bleed is still there and is coming from somewhere else.
vafu
mrerdat wrote:
Well just bypassed the feedback circuit- cut two traces and soldered the output TL074 pin directly to R2 and.....

I was wrong! Even with the feedback path disabled the slight bleed is still there and is coming from somewhere else.

From my investigations, there is something wrong near Pin 1 of IC1 (TL074).
If detach it and listen/oscilloscope separately for both pad and leg, no bleed noticed there, IC outputs filtered audio, (but weirdly crackles on low cutoff) and on pad there is quiet copy of filtered audio.
But once you solder pin&pad together, on lowest cutoff, it bleeds (both pin1 and output)
I’m not experienced enough to go further, so any help would be highly appreciated!
vafu
necrobious wrote:
mrerdat wrote:

I have three uJoves i built up a few months back, never noticed bleed (admittedly, my hearing isnt what it used to be). Does the bleeding show up on an oscilloscope?

It’s visible on scope, yes.
It’s really noticeable by ear only on high pitched waves with rich harmonics, try pure square
ym2612
Finished building mine last night. It's bliss. It's replacing a DIY Ripples, which is... fine? Just overly polite, without as wide a palette.

I didn't use the specified LED. I used a common-cathode RGB LED from Mouser, which has a different pinout, so the colors won't match up with the manual, but it's fine. I changed R71 to 10k to get the red brightness to match the green and blue.
zoth4355
Love my uJove, but I'm also getting that bleed in all modes, more noticeable in some, less in others. Tried various calibration settings by ear, haven't solved the issue. Still useable but would be nice to cut into that unwanted noise.

I'll recheck the pcb and do some reflow later today. In the meantime, any pointers?

Thanks
necrobious
I had a chance to test all three of mine using a 9.9k square wave from a z3000, and couldn't hear any bleed. My scope is in a fixed location in my home that is apart from where my rack is, making connecting them difficult. I am unable to look at the uJoves output under the scope at the moment but will try next time I can move the scope or the rack.
Not sure if it helps, but I do recall calibrating the resonance response to be a bit softer than what was recommended in the instructions.
lacuna
are there any news on this?

is this a problem with the dense PCB layout per se, as bleed often is?
how did you guys solder? with airflow? clean?
What PSU and power-bus do you use?
People with bleed and those of you without?

I am just guessing and
i am thinking about building one ...
necrobious
lacuna wrote:
are there any news on this?

is this a problem with the dense PCB layout per se, as bleed often is?
how did you guys solder? with airflow? clean?
What PSU and power-bus do you use?
People with bleed and those of you without?

I am just guessing and
i am thinking about building one ...

I hand solder mine using a fine tip on a temp controlled iron ($100 Weller iron) under a microscope. I clean up excess solder on a joint with braid. I probably put on more flux that is needed, but only because I've messed up builds by being stingy with flux in the past. After I get passives and ICs on the board, I use isopropyl alcohol and an old soft bristle toothbrush to clean the board gently, then dab dry, and letting it air dry over night usually. After that, I do the pots, jacks switches, LEDs, and panel install.

I also do continuity testing on ICs when I'm installing them, since they are usually a finer pitch, and I want to make sure I got a good contact to the board, and do not have a short with a neighboring pin.

My process is not quick nor perfect, but I'm building modules for myself and for the love of building, so I don't mind taking my time.. and even then, I still make mistakes occasionally.
Gidra
For the ones who have the bleed has anyone managed to fix it?
Shayshez
Hi,
Today I found the cause of the problem
The problem is caused by crosstalk between the input amp to the output amp shared in IC1.
I will update the PCB files to new version with separate op amps and try to create instructions to fix old pcbs.
Shayshez
I did a small board with place for separate output op amp, next week I will test it and write mod guide (should take 10 minuts to assemble).

I will upload the fix board files to my Github together with updated PCB files of uJove (v1.2).
as usual you will be able to order those boards from Pusherman.

selfdestroyer
Awesome, thanks Shayshez for the efforts and update.
Shayshez
fix method for the bleeding issue is confirmed.
The FIX board will be available soon at Pusherman, also new version of uJove board (v1.2) without this problem will be available after i will confirm it during next week.

Installation video:
https://youtu.be/Y7jof6UY3rQ

I want to thank the members of this wonderful forum who pointed out the problem and allowed me to improve this module.

mrerdat
Thank you for this fix!
Gidra
Yea thanks alot for the fix , grea8 support SlayerBadger!
neonmercury1
HI so i finished my build a little while ago and i have been trying to troubleshoot whats happening to no avail. everything seems to be working properly except the filter circuit. so i can hear audible changes to the input with manipulation of resonance or the other controls but the cutoff freq does nothing. i have reflowed all of the chips and i was wondering about test points to that i can check to see if a chip has been zapped. can anyone recommend where to start?
synthetek
Have you tried to adjust the trimmers on the bottom?
neonmercury1
synthetek wrote:
Have you tried to adjust the trimmers on the bottom?

yes i have and the freq trimmer has no effect. the res trimmer adjusts the res just fine
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules  
Page 1 of 3