MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Percussa mSSP (w/ EDITOR) KICKSTARTER LIVE
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next [all]
Author Percussa mSSP (w/ EDITOR) KICKSTARTER LIVE
bschiett
*** MAC/WINDOWS EDITOR ADDED ***
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/percussa/percussa-micro-super-sig nal-processor-eurorack-mod/posts/2361709

===

continuation of original thread where we discussed the mssp concept -
https://www.muffwiggler.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=208784

project is now LIVE at -
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/percussa/percussa-micro-super-sig nal-processor-eurorack-mod
You can pre-order/back the mssp over there.
brandonlogic
2disbetter
Awesome!

Really pumped by this module's potential to put this powerful capability in many people's racks. It might seem wild to say, but I really think modules like this are helping modular synthesis be even more modular, without costing you a kidney.

Hello eurorack revolution!
Trilo
Could you please give me the "elevator speech" for this module?

I read the page you linked but am still kind of confused. hmmm.....
bschiett
Trilo wrote:
Could you please give me the "elevator speech" for this module?

The mSSP is the smaller, lower cost but equally powerful version of the successful Percussa SSP eurorack DSP module which was funded on Kickstarter in September 2017 and which was delivered in June 2018. The mSSP comes with the same quad-core ARM cortex A17 processor @ 1.8GHz as the SSP, one of the fastest ARM processors available, and high end AKM audio converters offering 8 in / 4 out @192kHz 32-bit.

The mSSP will be shipped with 50 modular synthesis patches offering polyphonic wavetable, granular, sampling and traditional synthesis techniques, multi-channel audio processing and much more, all in only 26HP of rack space and for only $549. Backers will be involved in the selection of the patches for the mSSP. Of the 50 patches that will be delivered with the mSSP, half of them will be suggested and voted on by the backers with the other half decided on by Percussa.

The main differences between the mSSP and the SSP are the following:
*the mSSP has 8 in/4 out whereas the SSP has 16 in/ 8 outs
*the mSSP does not have a USB device port for audio streaming to PC/Mac
*the mSSP has a smaller display than the SSP
*the mSSP doesn’t have an SD card slot, but users can connect a USB flash drive (not included) to load and save patches/presets
*the mSSP has less pushbuttons: 8 instead of 18
*the mSSP has 4GB of internal flash, while the SSP has 16GB
*the mSSP doesn’t offer the multichannel direct to disk recorder available on the SSP
*the mSSP does not have a 2D internal patching system as is the case on the SSP, but still offers flexibility to make changes to the pre-loaded patches through changing, storing and recall parameter settings and offering the ability to re-route patch signals via toggle settings

In terms of connectivity, the mSSP will offer 2 USB host ports supporting MIDI (MPE) controllers and USB flash drives. Storage wise the mSSP comes with 2GB of internal RAM and 4GB of internal flash, which is especially useful for loading large WAV files into patch modules.

The mSSP will run the same DSP software as the SSP, offering more than 25 built-in modules such as wavetable oscillators, granulars, samplers, filters and effects. Patches shipped with the mSSP will use a combination of these modules.

Users will have the flexibility to develop and load VST plugins compiled for Linux/ARM, switch pre-made patches on the fly, change routing of patch signals using toggles, and change, store and recall parameters. Since the mSSP comes with a smaller display than the SSP, the user interface of the software will be redesigned for the mSSP.

In terms of patch, preset and file storage, the user is only limited by the size of the USB flash drive. The mSSP supports loading synthesis patches created on the SSP by Percussa or the SSP community.

More info about the SSP here -
https://www.youtube.com/user/percussa
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/percussa/percussa-super-signal-pr ocessor-eurorack-module

See also previous threads here on the forum.
th0mas
Please just one thread... please
Trilo
Thanks for the detailed explanation. Much appreciated!!!

Color me interested. SlayerBadger! w00t

Can you estimate how much the price will be raised after the campaign?
bschiett
Trilo wrote:

Can you estimate how much the price will be raised after the campaign?

i’m estimating about $200 more
bschiett
the project is now live, you can see the page (including demos) here -

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/percussa/percussa-micro-super-sig nal-processor-eurorack-mod

companyofquail
i will be backing this next week.

in the 25 initial mSSP "modules" what is the chance there will be a 2 track or 8 track recorder?
bschiett
companyofquail wrote:
i will be backing this next week.
in the 25 initial mSSP "modules" what is the chance there will be a 2 track or 8 track recorder?

thanks so much!

Chances are that if we raise beyond the goal, we can implement additional features like a basic recorder. But it really depends on how much we raise in the end.
bschiett
past 10K! thanks to all backers for your support :-)
nodog
First of all, best of luck with the campaign Bschiett!

I'm contemplating backing it. You answered a couple of my questions in the other thread but I'm still not entirely sure about the possibilities of this module.

I think I understand the concept of your preset patches. These patches contain a couple of modules pre-chosen. As I understand it these modules can freely be patched inside the "preset" (serial, parallel, different order), is that correct? If that is true, can I freely assign any input to any parameter in any module in the "preset"? So I can choose whatever modulater I connect to an input to any parameter?

On that front, what parameters do the modules have? I would love to see block diagrams of the different modules, maybe I just overlooked them and you have them available online. In that case a link would be great.

Last question is more a combination of above with a specific example I have in mind:
You do provide a reverb in the "presets" (as part of a bigger chain anyway). In this example I'd just be using the mSSP as just a reverb-box in an Aux-chain feeding audio and getting a return audio.

I'd love to be able to modulate as much parameters of the reverb as possible, some with an internal LFO, some with external CV or even audio.
My "problem" is that I still don't know how the reverb looks like (which parameters, how many patch points) and I'm still not totally sure I can freely assign external inputs to any patchpoint of the reverb. Maybe it's just a wet/dry and size I can choose or maybe it's like a Roland 90's reverb with like 50 parameters to tune. I just don't know at this time.

This is just an example, one could ask the same about the other modules the mSSP provides.

There's some other stuff about the way the module is presented I would like to add but I'll leave it like this. This post is long enough as it is. cool
2disbetter
Not a list like you asked for, but I am working on a tutorial for the SSP that well help you to understand how the presets/patches will work on the mSSP. The primary focus is a quick how-to for the SSP but I'll add little blurps here and there about how this will be good for the mSSP, etc.

I think that will help a lot of people to envision just how the patches for the mSSP will work and how an infinite number of other patches are all possible.
nodog
Thanks 2disbetter, I'm looking forward to getting more info about this intriguing module.
bschiett
nodog wrote:
First of all, best of luck with the campaign Bschiett!

nodog wrote:
These patches contain a couple of modules pre-chosen.

to give you an idea, the 8 voice wavetable patch used in this demo contains about 43 modules -

nodog wrote:
As I understand it these modules can freely be patched inside the "preset" (serial, parallel, different order), is that correct?

on the big SSP you can patch anything to anything using the built-in 2d patching system, on the mSSP you don't have this extreme flexibility. Not everybody needs this anything to anything patching system.

HOWEVER we are going to include signal switcher modules in the patches here and there so you can "switch" signals with the press of a button, allowing you to experiment with various kinds of routings between the modules in the patches. See below for a UI mockup of that module.

With the mSSP you get a collection of 50 patches half of which you, as the backer, can suggest/vote on once you have backed the mSSP.

We also will have multiple variations of some of the patches, and of course you still have full flexibility to store and recall parameter settings of the patches. And you can switch between the 50 patches using up/down buttons. We'll call these "parameter setting files" simply presets. So there are patches and presets, 2 different things.

Last but not least there will be more patches developed by ourselves or the community once the mSSP has been shipped and the initial 50 delivered.

When you load up a patch, you'll get a graphical overview of the input/output jack signal routings so you know which input and output is connected to what in the patch you just loaded. See below for UI mockup.

nodog wrote:

If that is true, can I freely assign any input to any parameter in any module in the "preset"? So I can choose whatever modulater I connect to an input to any parameter?

See above :-)

nodog wrote:

On that front, what parameters do the modules have? I would love to see block diagrams of the different modules, maybe I just overlooked them and you have them available online. In that case a link would be great.

scroll down to "Appendix - DSP modules to be used in the mSSP patches"

I don't have a list of all the parameters of all the modules on the kickstarter page but if you want to know what parameters a specific module supports at the moment feel free to ask and i'll tell you.

nodog wrote:

Last question is more a combination of above with a specific example I have in mind:
You do provide a reverb in the "presets" (as part of a bigger chain anyway). In this example I'd just be using the mSSP as just a reverb-box in an Aux-chain feeding audio and getting a return audio.
I'd love to be able to modulate as much parameters of the reverb as possible, some with an internal LFO, some with external CV or even audio.
My "problem" is that I still don't know how the reverb looks like (which parameters, how many patch points) and I'm still not totally sure I can freely assign external inputs to any patchpoint of the reverb. Maybe it's just a wet/dry and size I can choose or maybe it's like a Roland 90's reverb with like 50 parameters to tune. I just don't know at this time.

The software is in constant development, for the SSP we posted a software update on average every 1-2 weeks.

We recently moved the reverb processor from the global level to a module in the patcher grid. Right now it's a simple module with stereo in and stereo out and wet/dry controls. There is also a delay module that works the same way.

However the reverb and delay probably have about 10 parameters each, I just haven't brought them out yet. It will happen though, while we work on the development of the mSSP.

Hope this helps.
nodog
Thank you for the clear reply. I think I'm starting to get it. ;-)
bschiett
check out the latest interview on Darwin Grosse's art+music+technology podcast featuring the percussa mSSP kickstarter -

http://artmusictech.libsyn.com/podcast-254-bert-schiettecatte-percussa

also, we got the "project we love" badge from kickstarter :-)

Dogma
ConGRats

PLEASE ONE PAGE ONLY - I FEEL LIKE IM BEING SPAMMED
bschiett
Dogma wrote:
ConGRats

Thanks, if you don't want to follow the topic/thread you can unfollow it.

The original thread was for discussing the concept of the mSSP before it launched and the new thread is for discussing the kickstarter while it is running.
th0mas
bschiett wrote:
Dogma wrote:
ConGRats

Thanks, if you don't want to follow the topic/thread you can unfollow it.

The original thread was for discussing the concept of the mSSP before it launched and the new thread is for discussing the kickstarter while it is running.

Then stop posting the same Kickstarter updates on both threads, that's a spammer move dude. Let the other one die.
Zymos
When there are 2 different threads, but you are now posting the same things to both, it does indeed come across as spammy.
esquilofreniko
Have to agree it feels a bit spammy
thebrotherspus
bschiett
Zymos wrote:
When there are 2 different threads, but you are now posting the same things to both, it does indeed come across as spammy.

I had no bad intentions and I was not going to continue posting in both threads and I did not want to spam anyone. Past days have been a transition period from "discussing the idea" to "launching the kickstarter".

I've deleted the last "duplicate post" in the previous thread and posted a note with the link to this thread here. I'll stop posting in the old thread (unless someone asks a specific question over there).
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next [all]
Page 1 of 7