MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Oakley ASV - Analogue Synthesiser Voice
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Music Tech DIY  
Author Oakley ASV - Analogue Synthesiser Voice
Synthbuilder
I now have circuit boards available for my new Analogue Synthesiser Voice module for the 5U formats. The panel is 5U wide (MOTM) or could be made as a four MU wide one. Two will fit side by side in a standard 19" rack. The depth behind the panel of the module is 55mm.

It consists of the traditional synthesiser architecture of two oscillators feeding a single state variable filter, via a mixer, and then to an amplifier. Two identical four stage envelope generators (ENV1 & ENV2), and one sine wave low frequency oscillator (LFO) act as modulation sources to control the sound in a dynamically interesting way.

Nothing particularly ground breaking but it's nice to have it in one compact module. It's not a SEM clone as some people have thought - the only thing that is SEM like is the filter.

Power is +/-15V with current consumption of around 180mA. It won't work on +/-12V. These are big boards so it's not going to fit into a Eurorack.

The real thing:

I decided to go with black knobs (Davies 1900H clones, MXR clones and Davies medium size - all available from Thonk) for this particular build. The panel is my first printed Schaeffer MOTM format panel. I was quite pleased with the effect - although it was still close to 90Euros. I also had them drill 2mm deep blind holes on the reverse side for the 16mm Alpha pot's locating lugs.

And a quick picture of the reverse side showing the four printed circuit boards.

And the bare boards - these are the prototype issues but the versions for sale are almost identical:

More information, including sound samples and how to purchase, at the usual place:

http://www.oakleysound.com/asv.htm

Here's something I knocked showing what you could do with just an ASV, some reverb and delay, and Nord A1 doing the strings. All done live with the lead and strings done as an overdub. I'd just put the sausages for my tea under the grill which made me work quickly:

[s]http://soundcloud.com/takla-makan/asv-track[/s]

Tony
julian

: )
Synthbuilder
Nice Panel. thumbs up

Is that engraved? And have you got the 2mm blind holes on the back? I'm guessing yes to both.

Tony
julian
Synthbuilder wrote:
Nice Panel. thumbs up

Is that engraved? And have you got the 2mm blind holes on the back? I'm guessing yes to both.

Tony

Engraved, yes. Not worth printing on low volume.

Blinds, no - the panel is for Paul - he said he did not need them .
Synthbuilder
Just a heads up that I have only a few board sets left from the first run. Another run of boards will probably available in the Summer.

http://www.oakleysound.com/asv.htm

Here's a two voice version I built:

MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Music Tech DIY  
Page 1 of 1