MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Nutella Tsunami
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Music Tech DIY Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next [all]
Author Nutella Tsunami
paperCUT
Speaking of power my unit gets very hot after a while using the onboard regulators (that's noted in the documentation). I cant look at the documents right now but is it possible to power the Tsunami from a USB charger wall wart while it's attached to the Nutella? That would be a great solution for me and others that dont have enough 5v power in their rack.
ersatzplanet
paperCUT wrote:
Speaking of power my unit gets very hot after a while using the onboard regulators (that's noted in the documentation). I cant look at the documents right now but is it possible to power the Tsunami from a USB charger wall wart while it's attached to the Nutella? That would be a great solution for me and others that dont have enough 5v power in their rack.

Before I got a PSU that did 5V that is exactly what I did. All it took was a old Apple USB phone charger (I had a few and they are very small and only $20 for a 5w/1A) and I soldered a cable to the outlet end and put standard quick connect blades on it so I could connect directly to the same blades that my power supply used to chain supplies in larger cabinets (Doepfer PSUs all have them). looked like this:

Small enough to easily stick to an inside corner of a cabinet with double sided foam sticky tape. They are so light they will stay there easily.

Then you chop off a USB cable and connect the right leads to your bus board. You will need a volt meter to figure out pins 1 and 4. Pin 1 to the Plus V, pin 4 to the GND.
paperCUT
That's an awesome idea James! I was thinking of just hotwiring the Tsunami but it's far easier to go through the buss boards applause
cathmart
I've got my Nutella working well through the buttons and triggers. Understand the sd card formatting etc.

But...I want to use it through MIDI control from my Beatstep pro.
not really sure how to set up the sd card....do I need to write a special .ins file?
What do I need to do?

Also the audio outputs....so it's 1/2 and 9/10, 3/4 and 11/12 etc.......

Can I set it so all comes out of just Chanel 1. I want to route it into the aux..of my blck noir.

Thanks.
paperCUT
The file naming is a little tricky but once you get in the swing of it not too bad. You can have all the files play out of a single output (or pair) if you want, it's controlled in the naming convention and settings in the configuration program.

I have mine set up to play from the beatstep so if you have a specific example I could tell you exactly how to name and set it up smile

The midi and trigger cheat sheets on the Nutella page are really useful!
M4ngu
cathmart wrote:
I've got my Nutella working well through the buttons and triggers. Understand the sd card formatting etc.

But...I want to use it through MIDI control from my Beatstep pro.
not really sure how to set up the sd card....do I need to write a special .ins file?
What do I need to do?

Also the audio outputs....so it's 1/2 and 9/10, 3/4 and 11/12 etc.......

Can I set it so all comes out of just Chanel 1. I want to route it into the aux..of my blck noir.

Thanks.

took this from the Tsunami User Guide by Robersonics:
" Additionally, and only for use with MIDI, if the track number is immediately followed with “_FN”, where F = “L” or “S” and N = 1 – 8, this will specify whether the track is to be looped and what output it should be routed to. If the “_FN” is omitted, then the track will not loop (single-shot) and will be routed to output 1. Again, this “_FN” field is only used when the track is started with a MIDI Note-On command.

The remainder of the filename does not matter and long filenames are allowed.

The following are examples of valid filenames and their meaning:

1-Music Loop 21.wav: Track 1

438_Barking Dog.wav: Track 438

0101_L3 Violin A3.wav: Track 101, when triggered by MIDI will loop and appear on output 3

4096_S4 Flute B3.wav: Track 4096, when trigger by MIDI will not loop and appear on output 4"

Check the Robersonic's blog for more info, also this sheet to have an idea of the correspondence between numbers and midi notes:
https://cdn.sparkfun.com/assets/learn_tutorials/3/1/4/WAV_Trigger_MIDI _Chart_-_Nic_Danielson-2.pdf
M4ngu
Bamboombaps wrote:
robertsonics
Im having real issues with my nutella and im sure the probelm is with my tsunami- it was working fine for a while, i changed cases and then changed back and its never been the same since. it was glitching when i was putting any more than a couple of triggers in and today ive been trying to reformat and update teh firmware but its made it even worse- heres the behaviour im getting now-

https://youtu.be/2bHH0mhFNeY

it starts then glitches out and does nothign unless reset, then same again

ive tried it via midi , and with an older firmware with the same results

Hi there, is your Tsunami under warranty?
cathmart
Thanks paperCUT and M4ngu...I will take the info and do a lot of experiments ting, hopefully if I need to come back foe another question it will be very specific and informed.
weasel79
i came here solely for the incredible thread/product title, and found a super amazing well thought out sample player... big ups. shame i'm not into modular synths haha.
ersatzplanet
weasel79 wrote:
i came here solely for the incredible thread/product title, and found a super amazing well thought out sample player... big ups. shame i'm not into modular synths haha.

The main guts of the Nutella is a PCB that you can get from SparkFun call the Tsunami (~$80). It is a stand-alone product and doesn't need a modular at all to run. It can be turned into a Mellotron or a media player or any wav file player you want. It can can be run from MIDI or switch closures or gates of the right voltage. The Nutella is just the best interface for eurorack use. The board itself can easily work without it for other purposes.

ersatzplanet
cathmart wrote:
Thanks paperCUT and M4ngu...I will take the info and do a lot of experiments ting, hopefully if I need to come back foe another question it will be very specific and informed.

The other think that hangs people up is that the Tsunami PCB can run in MONO or STEREO modes (reading mono or stereo files), but NOT both at the same time. You have to rewrite the onboard flash to change modes. If you mix stereo files and mono files together, the unit will not run the ones in the other mode. To can use dual mono files to fake stereo (linking them together with the .INI file) but you can't force both channels of a stereo file into one output.

Even though the modes can be changed, it is MUCH easier to plan ahead and choose a mode that works best and stick with it. I have chosen stereo myself and have made stereo files with two sounds panned hard left and hard right when I want mono files. It is nice that way when using material like Bass and Drums, the files will be hard sync'd together in tempo that way.
cathmart
paperCUT wrote:
The file naming is a little tricky but once you get in the swing of it not too bad. You can have all the files play out of a single output (or pair) if you want, it's controlled in the naming convention and settings in the configuration program.

I have mine set up to play from the beatstep so if you have a specific example I could tell you exactly how to name and set it up smile

The midi and trigger cheat sheets on the Nutella page are really useful!

I looked up the Robertson information,,,of course...doh! I keep forgetting the Nutella is just an interface and the Tsunami is the thing...but I cant find the Nutella midi map, I've seen it in the past but i cant find it now, can you point to it for me please.
paperCUT
https://cdn.sparkfun.com/assets/learn_tutorials/3/1/4/WAV_Trigger_MIDI _Chart_-_Nic_Danielson-2.pdf

cool

M4ngu if you ever do another hardware revision I'd love the outputs to be nomallised and mixed to the first set of outputs unless you interrupt it. Most of the time I run the Tsunami straight into my mixer just using one output and mixing them in hardware would cost nothing as long as they dont clip.
ersatzplanet
cathmart wrote:

I looked up the Robertson information,,,of course...doh! I keep forgetting the Nutella is just an interface and the Tsunami is the thing...but I cant find the Nutella midi map, I've seen it in the past but i cant find it now, can you point to it for me please.

The Nutella just passes the MIDI onto the Tsunami. The mapping of the Tsunami is what runs things. It is all in the Tsunami. The Nutella is converting Eurorack Gates to signals the Tsunami wants (basically switch closures done with Transistors), relocating the card to make things easier, extending the reset and user buttons to the front panel, and output level changes. The INI file does ALL the programming.
bang
I was wondering if the outputs of the tsunami are AC or DC coupled?
ersatzplanet
bang wrote:
I was wondering if the outputs of the tsunami are AC or DC coupled?

I would bet money the Tsunami is AC coupled because the original WaveTrigger was. Were you thinking of recording DC wave files and playing them?
cathmart
Midi update.
So I’ve got my beatstep pro midi controlling the Tsunami 100%.....the main problem lay with the beatstep pro setup, which I changed in the computer interface.
What I wasn’t expecting is that I now have 16 midi sounds and another 16 trigger sounds.....amazing
Doc L Junior
Hi there,

I know this is more like a Tsunami question, but I thought I should post it here anyway.

I'm having trouble with clicks/pops in the beginning of some files. I've tried to insert 2ms of silence and/or a 5ms fade in but they still pops.
(metadata removed - they match other files that I don't have an issue with)

Anyone?
Dan Lavin
On the Wav Trigger, after working flawlessly for months, I would get pops, clicks and even distortion on notes. I pulled the microSD card and cleaned the contacts and the contacts on the Wav Trigger and that cleared up any issues. Guessing a small amount of corrosion had contaminated the contacts. I do have my studio in the basement where humidity in the summer can be bad. Also I've noticed some SD cards work just fine and others not so much...even from the same manufacturer. Weird. Anyway, something for you to try.
Doc L Junior
I was thinking it can be the sd-card being too fast. I'll try finding an older and even slower one than i use now. Hard to get by though.
ersatzplanet
Card speed does factor into it. Robertsonics has a page devoted to which microSD cards work best - https://robertsonics.com/microsd-cards-for-audio/

Here is the table from that page:

Doc L Junior
I found a solution. I inserted 5 ms silence in a sample and the click is gone. I tried 3 ms first but that did not help. I batch processed 120 samples and they all work fine.
Im using the SanDisk Ultra 16G (orange in the list).
Doc L Junior
Hi there - new question:

Is it possible to trigger a sample from a different midi bank (channel) whitout changing bank physically or digitally - by just following the numbering scheme?
ersatzplanet
Doc L Junior wrote:
Hi there - new question:

Is it possible to trigger a sample from a different midi bank (channel) whitout changing bank physically or digitally - by just following the numbering scheme?

The MIDI support covers the whole MIDI range of 0-128. There is no reason that the full range has to have the same sounds in it. The MIDI note numbers can be anything you want them to be. Just fill all 128 with the sounds you want. Organize them any way you want. If you are not playing them with a MIDI keyboard you can access any you want in any order. If you play them by keyboard, put them in different octave ranges. They don't need to be tuned to this octaves. They don't even need to be tuned sounds at all. The advantage is that they can be played polyphonically this way easily.

If you run the Tsunami directly with an Arduino, you can access all 4096 available tracks and take advantage of Tsunami’s internal faders to do real-time mixing, crossfading and pitch bending.
Doc L Junior
ersatzplanet wrote:
Doc L Junior wrote:
Hi there - new question:

The MIDI support covers the whole MIDI range of 0-128. There is no reason that the full range has to have the same sounds in it. The MIDI note numbers can be anything you want them to be. Just fill all 128 with the sounds you want. Organize them any way you want. If you are not playing them with a MIDI keyboard you can access any you want in any order. If you play them by keyboard, put them in different octave ranges. They don't need to be tuned to this octaves. They don't even need to be tuned sounds at all. The advantage is that they can be played polyphonically this way easily.

If you run the Tsunami directly with an Arduino, you can access all 4096 available tracks and take advantage of Tsunami’s internal faders to do real-time mixing, crossfading and pitch bending.

Thanks man, but what I'm trying to get my head around is if it is possible to, let's say, use up all the 127 notes in bank one and then just continue on note 128 and upwards without changing bank. I have tried that without luck.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Music Tech DIY Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next [all]
Page 2 of 3