Nutella Tsunami

From circuitbending to homebrew stompboxes & synths, keep the DIY spirit alive!

Moderators: Kent, Joe., analogdigital, infradead, lisa, parasitk, plord, sduck

M4ngu
Learning to Wiggle

Nutella Tsunami

Post by M4ngu » Thu Nov 22, 2018 7:34 am

Hi, this is Nutella Tsunami, an eurorack conversion module for the Sparkfun Tsunami Super Wav Trigger,
it features:
-16 trigger ins and buttons to play ".wav" files.
-8 audio outs (modular levels)
-32 voices polyphony in mono, 18 voices in stereo mode.
-microSD card slot to store up to 4096 wav files
-Low latency (8ms tipically)
-Midi in (velocity sensitive, supports MIDI Note-On, Note-Of, Pitch Bend and Program Changes messages, as well as Controller messages for real-time control of sustain, attack and release times and volume.
-Ability to play multiple audio stems in sample-locked sync.
-Can be used as a Wav player and Midi-to-Trigger converter at the same time.
-Trigger ins (and so buttons) can be assigned to various functions (normal, next, previous, random, pause, resume, stop, volume up, volume down, trigger bank up, trigger bank down, synced set, midi bank up, midi bank down)
-Easy configurable by an optional ".ini" file stored in the microSD card, a Tsunami Configurator utility (Windows, Mac and Linux versions available), makes it easy to set options and generate this file.
-Super easy firmware update system via microSD card, no external programmer needed.

I'm selling pcb+alu panel kits & also assembled modules, if you're interested visit the Tesseract Modular's facebook:
https://www.facebook.com/Tesseract-Modu ... 7136274298
or drop me a mail to:
tesseract.modular@gmail.com

Manual/build guide:

BOM:

Mouser cart:
https://www.mouser.es/ProjectManager/Pr ... 5749066b03

More info about Tsunami (lots of info indeed):
https://robertsonics.com/tsunami-user-guide/

Last edited by M4ngu on Fri Mar 08, 2019 2:06 pm, edited 2 times in total.

ersatzplanet
Synthwerks Design

Post by ersatzplanet » Thu Nov 22, 2018 12:26 pm

I love this addition to the Tsunami module. I had a Tsunami laying in a box for a couple of months just waiting to make a module out of it (I had made 2 modules from its cousin the WaveTrigger) and snagged a Nutella the second I saw it. I use mine mainly for playing loops, a "modular Ableton" and it works great. I am making a mod to it though, I'm wiring some parallel buttons to the ones on the Nutella front panel. It looks like this -

The pushbuttons for momentary playing of loops and the toggles next to them to play continuously. The black/white button pattern is laid out for the chromatic octave so I can play Mellotron (or other) keyboard samples if I want.

M4ngu if you ever do a mod of this PCB, I would suggest putting on a header, if there is space, that either connects to the buttons or the gate jacks. It would make mods like this really easy and "behind the panel" too. I could have made my panel produce gates and patched into the jacks on the Nutella, but that would have been a lot of patch cords!
-James

James Husted - Synthwerks, LLC - www.synthwerks.com - info@synthwerks.com - james@synthwerks.com
Synthwerks is a proud member of the Mostly Modular Trade Association (http://www.mostlymodular.com).
Always looking to trade for Doepfer P6 cases

Zube
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Zube » Fri Nov 23, 2018 3:14 am

Woah this looks cool, as does the arcade expansion mod. Thanks for sharing.

M4ngu
Learning to Wiggle

Post by M4ngu » Fri Nov 23, 2018 3:17 am

M4ngu if you ever do a mod of this PCB, I would suggest putting on a header, if there is space, that either connects to the buttons or the gate jacks. It would make mods like this really easy and "behind the panel" too. I could have made my panel produce gates and patched into the jacks on the Nutella, but that would have been a lot of patch cords!
Thanks for the feedback & suggestion :bananaguitar:

ersatzplanet
Synthwerks Design

Post by ersatzplanet » Fri Nov 23, 2018 3:03 pm

M4ngu wrote:
Thanks for the feedback & suggestion :bananaguitar:
Looking at the board and I just can't see where a header would even fit!
-James

James Husted - Synthwerks, LLC - www.synthwerks.com - info@synthwerks.com - james@synthwerks.com
Synthwerks is a proud member of the Mostly Modular Trade Association (http://www.mostlymodular.com).

sduck
experimental use of gravity

Post by sduck » Fri Nov 23, 2018 10:19 pm

Looks cool!

Where are you selling these? Because you can't sell them here with under 100 posts. If you have a web shop set up somewhere, you can link to that, but you aren't allowed to do business directly from here. Please update your first post with the link to your shop or indicate how you are conducting business otherwise.

M4ngu
Learning to Wiggle

Post by M4ngu » Sat Nov 24, 2018 4:20 am

sduck wrote: Where are you selling these? Because you can't sell them here with under 100 posts. If you have a web shop set up somewhere, you can link to that, but you aren't allowed to do business directly from here. Please update your first post with the link to your shop or indicate how you are conducting business otherwise.
Did it!
it's correct now?

sduck
experimental use of gravity

Post by sduck » Sat Nov 24, 2018 12:22 pm

Yes, thank you!

defalut
Common Wiggler

Post by defalut » Sat Jan 12, 2019 1:03 pm

Does the Nutella Tsunami have some way of changing sample in the 16 slots "on the fly" somehow? Is it possible via midi program change for example?
Or how does one select a new kit or sample from the card and load the slots?

ersatzplanet
Synthwerks Design

Post by ersatzplanet » Sat Jan 12, 2019 1:56 pm

defalut wrote:Does the Nutella Tsunami have some way of changing sample in the 16 slots "on the fly" somehow? Is it possible via midi program change for example?
The Tsunami reads the files from the card, it doesn't load them into any internal memory. All you have to do is stick in a new card and then reset or reboot the Tsunami because it needs to read the .INI file that tells it how to play the files (looped or one shot, etc.). If you are using MIDI to control it, you can just name the files by note number and use bank select if you have more than 128 samples on the card using program change commands.
-James

defalut
Common Wiggler

Post by defalut » Sat Jan 12, 2019 3:14 pm

ersatzplanet wrote:
defalut wrote:Does the Nutella Tsunami have some way of changing sample in the 16 slots "on the fly" somehow? Is it possible via midi program change for example?
The Tsunami reads the files from the card, it doesn't load them into any internal memory. All you have to do is stick in a new card and then reset or reboot the Tsunami because it needs to read the .INI file that tells it how to play the files (looped or one shot, etc.). If you are using MIDI to control it, you can just name the files by note number and use bank select if you have more than 128 samples on the card using program change commands.
Alright, thanks a lot for the thorough explanation. :hail:

M4ngu
Learning to Wiggle

Post by M4ngu » Sat Jan 12, 2019 3:16 pm

Or hohw does one select a new kit or sample from the card and load the slots?
Iof course you can change the 16 sounds on the fly. One way is with midi bank change and other is assign a button (and so a trigger) to benk + or -. In my module i have trigger 15&- 16 asignned to bank up down. That means also that i can only play sounds with the other 14 triggers

defalut
Common Wiggler

Post by defalut » Sun Jan 13, 2019 12:18 am

M4ngu wrote:
Or hohw does one select a new kit or sample from the card and load the slots?
Iof course you can change the 16 sounds on the fly. One way is with midi bank change and other is assign a button (and so a trigger) to benk + or -. In my module i have trigger 15&- 16 asignned to bank up down. That means also that i can only play sounds with the other 14 triggers
I read about program change or bank change available in the product spec, and that's Good enough for my purposes. Thanks for confirming!
Dropping two sample slots out of 16 doesn't matter much to me either, i would config like you did. Nice.

autodafe
Wiggling with Experience

Post by autodafe » Fri Mar 01, 2019 10:17 pm

I have just built it, seems to work (leds flash when triggered) but I have no sound at all at any output...
I am using the "20 mono kits", cannot understand how the outputs are set up...

ersatzplanet
Synthwerks Design

Post by ersatzplanet » Sat Mar 02, 2019 12:56 pm

autodafe wrote:I have just built it, seems to work (leds flash when triggered) but I have no sound at all at any output...
The Tsunami has two mode, mono or Stereo, but only one of those modes can be used at a time. The internal processor has to be flashed to set that mode. This is pretty easily done via a file on the MicroSD card when booted. Then that mode is set until re-flashed.

Unless the card is set to MONO, the mono kits probably will not play. Mono is the most versatile because stereo files can be faked by two mono files, but the unit may have come to you in the Stereo mode which I believe is the default.

The files to re-flash the Tsunami can be found on the makers site -

https://robertsonics.com/tsunami-downloads/

Instructions and feature sets can be seen there too.
-James

ashleym
Veteran Wiggler

Post by ashleym » Sat Mar 02, 2019 6:10 pm

Nutella is the corruption of chocolate spread. Digital stuff is also the corruption of synthesisers. Where will this all end? Hopefully soon.

M4ngu
Learning to Wiggle

Post by M4ngu » Fri Mar 08, 2019 2:19 pm

Synth Diy Guy made a little overview of this module, which is at the same time the corruption of chocolate spread & the corruption of synthesisers
https://youtu.be/6uX0qPCCKB0

M4ngu
Learning to Wiggle

Post by M4ngu » Fri Mar 08, 2019 2:33 pm

autodafe wrote:I have just built it, seems to work (leds flash when triggered) but I have no sound at all at any output...
did you make it work?

autodafe
Wiggling with Experience

Post by autodafe » Fri Mar 08, 2019 7:20 pm

I was able to make it work.
I have used an old SD card (sandisk) that I used on a Nintendo DS in the past...
I rformatted it may times following Sparkfun advice, FAT32 with 32Kb blocks, as mentioned here: https://learn.sparkfun.com/tutorials/ts ... -guide/all

No way, then I tried formatting for the millionth time and used FAT32 and 4Kb blocks....BINGO!

I still have leds 1 and 9 not flashing (as discussed with you on FB messenger), but all channels and all other leds work 100% and the module works great

robertsonics
Learning to Wiggle

Post by robertsonics » Sat Mar 16, 2019 5:23 pm

Just a heads-up for all you Nutella owners. I just posted a Tsunami firmware update on the Robertsonics Tsunami download page that removes the limit on how often input triggers are scanned. This will improve the trigger response when connected to modular gear and allow it to track faster gate tempos.

M4ngu, you already have this - I'm just making it available to everyone.

paperCUT
Veteran Wiggler

Post by paperCUT » Tue Apr 09, 2019 5:55 am

I just finished my Nutella build! Apart from one LED not lighting up from external gates it was a very painless process. Awesome work on putting this together so neatly M4ngu! And of course Jamie 8-)

I'm using the only SD card I had on hand, according to the Tsunami card guide it's on the edge of suitable but so far had no problems (model is SanDisk Ultra 16G).

omote
Learning to Wiggle

Post by omote » Fri May 03, 2019 12:21 am

just finished the build. I had no idea sourcing the lower spec microSD cards would be such an effort. Couldn't source them locally, so had to go the eBay route. I'm using my Morphagene card for the moment.

Thanks for making this module possible!

Bamboombaps
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Bamboombaps » Sat May 04, 2019 3:31 pm

robertsonics
Im having real issues with my nutella and im sure the probelm is with my tsunami- it was working fine for a while, i changed cases and then changed back and its never been the same since. it was glitching when i was putting any more than a couple of triggers in and today ive been trying to reformat and update teh firmware but its made it even worse- heres the behaviour im getting now-

https://youtu.be/2bHH0mhFNeY

it starts then glitches out and does nothign unless reset, then same again

ive tried it via midi , and with an older firmware with the same results

Dan Lavin
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Dan Lavin » Mon May 06, 2019 7:39 am

Bamboombaps: It might not be your issue, but you may want to check your micro SD card. Let me explain: I use mine as a rompler with Mellotron samples and such and set it aside for a few weeks. When I started playing it again, I would get missed notes, distortion and just general odd behaviour. I suspected the Tsunami initially, but eventually took the SD card out and cleaned the contacts with rubbing alcohol and everything was fine again. For you it might not be the contacts, but maybe a deterioration of the SD card? Anyway, something else to try.

MuffDiveler
Learning to Wiggle

Post by MuffDiveler » Thu May 09, 2019 8:11 am

Bamboombaps wrote:robertsonics
Im having real issues with my nutella and im sure the probelm is with my tsunami- it was working fine for a while, i changed cases and then changed back and its never been the same since. it was glitching when i was putting any more than a couple of triggers in and today ive been trying to reformat and update teh firmware but its made it even worse- heres the behaviour im getting now-

https://youtu.be/2bHH0mhFNeY

it starts then glitches out and does nothign unless reset, then same again

ive tried it via midi , and with an older firmware with the same results
I had a similar issue with mine. Mangu is a godsend for helping me as much as he did to debug. It turned out that the testing power supply I was using did not provide enough amps at 5v to run the Tsunami. The Tsunami needs 150mA. I determined the issue by watching the Vin on the Tsunami after reset, and the voltage started at 5v but dropped down to about 3.4v which is when it would then produce that weird sound. I switched the jumper to the lower position for 12v and the issue went away.

Mangu thank you for all your help :hail: :hail: :hail:

In addition to what Dan mentioned about the microSD, you could bypass the front microSD slot and just insert your microSD card directly in the Tsunami so that you can at least rule out if it is the microSD extension to the front face.

Return to “Music Tech DIY”