MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Nutella Tsunami
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Music Tech DIY  
Author Nutella Tsunami
M4ngu
Hi, this is Nutella Tsunami, an eurorack conversion module for the Sparkfun Tsunami Super Wav Trigger,

it features:
-16 trigger ins and buttons to play ".wav" files.
-8 audio outs (modular levels)
-32 voices polyphony in mono, 18 voices in stereo mode.
-microSD card slot to store up to 4096 wav files
-Low latency (8ms tipically)
-Midi in (velocity sensitive, supports MIDI Note-On, Note-Of, Pitch Bend and Program Changes messages, as well as Controller messages for real-time control of sustain, attack and release times and volume.
-Ability to play multiple audio stems in sample-locked sync.
-Can be used as a Wav player and Midi-to-Trigger converter at the same time.
-Trigger ins (and so buttons) can be assigned to various functions (normal, next, previous, random, pause, resume, stop, volume up, volume down, trigger bank up, trigger bank down, synced set, midi bank up, midi bank down)
-Easy configurable by an optional ".ini" file stored in the microSD card, a Tsunami Configurator utility (Windows, Mac and Linux versions available), makes it easy to set options and generate this file.
-Super easy firmware update system via microSD card, no external programmer needed.

I'm selling pcb+alu panel kits & also assembled modules, if you're interested visit the Tesseract Modular's facebook:
https://www.facebook.com/Tesseract-Modular-146727136274298
or drop me a mail to:
tesseract.modular@gmail.com

Manual/build guide:
https://drive.google.com/open?id=1n9J3baKEew5DDWzT5Faxcn1-AQwBXxvrJlFo jfTVx9Y

BOM:
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1SREqpzPe2Li5pRSL5EuF8iNjBchi9_ oua5kS9FYo8OA/edit#gid=1759943668

Mouser cart:
https://www.mouser.es/ProjectManager/ProjectDetail.aspx?AccessID=57490 66b03

More info about Tsunami (lots of info indeed):
https://robertsonics.com/tsunami-user-guide/

ersatzplanet
I love this addition to the Tsunami module. I had a Tsunami laying in a box for a couple of months just waiting to make a module out of it (I had made 2 modules from its cousin the WaveTrigger) and snagged a Nutella the second I saw it. I use mine mainly for playing loops, a "modular Ableton" and it works great. I am making a mod to it though, I'm wiring some parallel buttons to the ones on the Nutella front panel. It looks like this -

The pushbuttons for momentary playing of loops and the toggles next to them to play continuously. The black/white button pattern is laid out for the chromatic octave so I can play Mellotron (or other) keyboard samples if I want.

M4ngu if you ever do a mod of this PCB, I would suggest putting on a header, if there is space, that either connects to the buttons or the gate jacks. It would make mods like this really easy and "behind the panel" too. I could have made my panel produce gates and patched into the jacks on the Nutella, but that would have been a lot of patch cords!
Zube
Woah this looks cool, as does the arcade expansion mod. Thanks for sharing.
M4ngu
Quote:
M4ngu if you ever do a mod of this PCB, I would suggest putting on a header, if there is space, that either connects to the buttons or the gate jacks. It would make mods like this really easy and "behind the panel" too. I could have made my panel produce gates and patched into the jacks on the Nutella, but that would have been a lot of patch cords!

Thanks for the feedback & suggestion Rockin' Banana!
ersatzplanet
M4ngu wrote:
Quote:

Thanks for the feedback & suggestion Rockin' Banana!

Looking at the board and I just can't see where a header would even fit!
sduck
Looks cool!

Where are you selling these? Because you can't sell them here with under 100 posts. If you have a web shop set up somewhere, you can link to that, but you aren't allowed to do business directly from here. Please update your first post with the link to your shop or indicate how you are conducting business otherwise.
M4ngu
sduck wrote:

Where are you selling these? Because you can't sell them here with under 100 posts. If you have a web shop set up somewhere, you can link to that, but you aren't allowed to do business directly from here. Please update your first post with the link to your shop or indicate how you are conducting business otherwise.

Did it!
it's correct now?
sduck
Yes, thank you!
defalut
Does the Nutella Tsunami have some way of changing sample in the 16 slots "on the fly" somehow? Is it possible via midi program change for example?
Or how does one select a new kit or sample from the card and load the slots?
ersatzplanet
defalut wrote:
Does the Nutella Tsunami have some way of changing sample in the 16 slots "on the fly" somehow? Is it possible via midi program change for example?

The Tsunami reads the files from the card, it doesn't load them into any internal memory. All you have to do is stick in a new card and then reset or reboot the Tsunami because it needs to read the .INI file that tells it how to play the files (looped or one shot, etc.). If you are using MIDI to control it, you can just name the files by note number and use bank select if you have more than 128 samples on the card using program change commands.
defalut
ersatzplanet wrote:
defalut wrote:

The Tsunami reads the files from the card, it doesn't load them into any internal memory. All you have to do is stick in a new card and then reset or reboot the Tsunami because it needs to read the .INI file that tells it how to play the files (looped or one shot, etc.). If you are using MIDI to control it, you can just name the files by note number and use bank select if you have more than 128 samples on the card using program change commands.

Alright, thanks a lot for the thorough explanation. we're not worthy
M4ngu
defalut wrote:
Or hohw does one select a new kit or sample from the card and load the slots?

Iof course you can change the 16 sounds on the fly. One way is with midi bank change and other is assign a button (and so a trigger) to benk + or -. In my module i have trigger 15&- 16 asignned to bank up down. That means also that i can only play sounds with the other 14 triggers
defalut
M4ngu wrote:
defalut wrote:
Or hohw does one select a new kit or sample from the card and load the slots?

Iof course you can change the 16 sounds on the fly. One way is with midi bank change and other is assign a button (and so a trigger) to benk + or -. In my module i have trigger 15&- 16 asignned to bank up down. That means also that i can only play sounds with the other 14 triggers

I read about program change or bank change available in the product spec, and that's Good enough for my purposes. Thanks for confirming!
Dropping two sample slots out of 16 doesn't matter much to me either, i would config like you did. Nice.
autodafe
I have just built it, seems to work (leds flash when triggered) but I have no sound at all at any output...
I am using the "20 mono kits", cannot understand how the outputs are set up...
ersatzplanet
autodafe wrote:
I have just built it, seems to work (leds flash when triggered) but I have no sound at all at any output...

The Tsunami has two mode, mono or Stereo, but only one of those modes can be used at a time. The internal processor has to be flashed to set that mode. This is pretty easily done via a file on the MicroSD card when booted. Then that mode is set until re-flashed.

Unless the card is set to MONO, the mono kits probably will not play. Mono is the most versatile because stereo files can be faked by two mono files, but the unit may have come to you in the Stereo mode which I believe is the default.

The files to re-flash the Tsunami can be found on the makers site -

https://robertsonics.com/tsunami-downloads/

Instructions and feature sets can be seen there too.
ashleym
Nutella is the corruption of chocolate spread. Digital stuff is also the corruption of synthesisers. Where will this all end? Hopefully soon.
M4ngu
Synth Diy Guy made a little overview of this module, which is at the same time the corruption of chocolate spread & the corruption of synthesisers
https://youtu.be/6uX0qPCCKB0
M4ngu
autodafe wrote:

did you make it work?
autodafe
I was able to make it work.
I have used an old SD card (sandisk) that I used on a Nintendo DS in the past...
I rformatted it may times following Sparkfun advice, FAT32 with 32Kb blocks, as mentioned here: https://learn.sparkfun.com/tutorials/tsunami-hookup-guide/all

No way, then I tried formatting for the millionth time and used FAT32 and 4Kb blocks....BINGO!

I still have leds 1 and 9 not flashing (as discussed with you on FB messenger), but all channels and all other leds work 100% and the module works great
robertsonics
Just a heads-up for all you Nutella owners. I just posted a Tsunami firmware update on the Robertsonics Tsunami download page that removes the limit on how often input triggers are scanned. This will improve the trigger response when connected to modular gear and allow it to track faster gate tempos.

M4ngu, you already have this - I'm just making it available to everyone.
paperCUT
I just finished my Nutella build! Apart from one LED not lighting up from external gates it was a very painless process. Awesome work on putting this together so neatly M4ngu! And of course Jamie cool

I'm using the only SD card I had on hand, according to the Tsunami card guide it's on the edge of suitable but so far had no problems (model is SanDisk Ultra 16G).
omote
just finished the build. I had no idea sourcing the lower spec microSD cards would be such an effort. Couldn't source them locally, so had to go the eBay route. I'm using my Morphagene card for the moment.

Thanks for making this module possible!
Bamboombaps
robertsonics
Im having real issues with my nutella and im sure the probelm is with my tsunami- it was working fine for a while, i changed cases and then changed back and its never been the same since. it was glitching when i was putting any more than a couple of triggers in and today ive been trying to reformat and update teh firmware but its made it even worse- heres the behaviour im getting now-

https://youtu.be/2bHH0mhFNeY

it starts then glitches out and does nothign unless reset, then same again

ive tried it via midi , and with an older firmware with the same results
Dan Lavin
Bamboombaps: It might not be your issue, but you may want to check your micro SD card. Let me explain: I use mine as a rompler with Mellotron samples and such and set it aside for a few weeks. When I started playing it again, I would get missed notes, distortion and just general odd behaviour. I suspected the Tsunami initially, but eventually took the SD card out and cleaned the contacts with rubbing alcohol and everything was fine again. For you it might not be the contacts, but maybe a deterioration of the SD card? Anyway, something else to try.
MuffDiveler
Bamboombaps wrote:
robertsonics
Im having real issues with my nutella and im sure the probelm is with my tsunami- it was working fine for a while, i changed cases and then changed back and its never been the same since. it was glitching when i was putting any more than a couple of triggers in and today ive been trying to reformat and update teh firmware but its made it even worse- heres the behaviour im getting now-

I had a similar issue with mine. Mangu is a godsend for helping me as much as he did to debug. It turned out that the testing power supply I was using did not provide enough amps at 5v to run the Tsunami. The Tsunami needs 150mA. I determined the issue by watching the Vin on the Tsunami after reset, and the voltage started at 5v but dropped down to about 3.4v which is when it would then produce that weird sound. I switched the jumper to the lower position for 12v and the issue went away.

Mangu thank you for all your help we're not worthy we're not worthy we're not worthy

In addition to what Dan mentioned about the microSD, you could bypass the front microSD slot and just insert your microSD card directly in the Tsunami so that you can at least rule out if it is the microSD extension to the front face.
paperCUT
Speaking of power my unit gets very hot after a while using the onboard regulators (that's noted in the documentation). I cant look at the documents right now but is it possible to power the Tsunami from a USB charger wall wart while it's attached to the Nutella? That would be a great solution for me and others that dont have enough 5v power in their rack.
ersatzplanet
paperCUT wrote:
Speaking of power my unit gets very hot after a while using the onboard regulators (that's noted in the documentation). I cant look at the documents right now but is it possible to power the Tsunami from a USB charger wall wart while it's attached to the Nutella? That would be a great solution for me and others that dont have enough 5v power in their rack.

Before I got a PSU that did 5V that is exactly what I did. All it took was a old Apple USB phone charger (I had a few and they are very small and only $20 for a 5w/1A) and I soldered a cable to the outlet end and put standard quick connect blades on it so I could connect directly to the same blades that my power supply used to chain supplies in larger cabinets (Doepfer PSUs all have them). looked like this:

Small enough to easily stick to an inside corner of a cabinet with double sided foam sticky tape. They are so light they will stay there easily.

Then you chop off a USB cable and connect the right leads to your bus board. You will need a volt meter to figure out pins 1 and 4. Pin 1 to the Plus V, pin 4 to the GND.
paperCUT
That's an awesome idea James! I was thinking of just hotwiring the Tsunami but it's far easier to go through the buss boards applause
cathmart
I've got my Nutella working well through the buttons and triggers. Understand the sd card formatting etc.

But...I want to use it through MIDI control from my Beatstep pro.
not really sure how to set up the sd card....do I need to write a special .ins file?
What do I need to do?

Also the audio outputs....so it's 1/2 and 9/10, 3/4 and 11/12 etc.......

Can I set it so all comes out of just Chanel 1. I want to route it into the aux..of my blck noir.

Thanks.
paperCUT
The file naming is a little tricky but once you get in the swing of it not too bad. You can have all the files play out of a single output (or pair) if you want, it's controlled in the naming convention and settings in the configuration program.

I have mine set up to play from the beatstep so if you have a specific example I could tell you exactly how to name and set it up smile

The midi and trigger cheat sheets on the Nutella page are really useful!
M4ngu
cathmart wrote:
I've got my Nutella working well through the buttons and triggers. Understand the sd card formatting etc.

But...I want to use it through MIDI control from my Beatstep pro.
not really sure how to set up the sd card....do I need to write a special .ins file?
What do I need to do?

Also the audio outputs....so it's 1/2 and 9/10, 3/4 and 11/12 etc.......

Can I set it so all comes out of just Chanel 1. I want to route it into the aux..of my blck noir.

Thanks.

took this from the Tsunami User Guide by Robersonics:
" Additionally, and only for use with MIDI, if the track number is immediately followed with “_FN”, where F = “L” or “S” and N = 1 – 8, this will specify whether the track is to be looped and what output it should be routed to. If the “_FN” is omitted, then the track will not loop (single-shot) and will be routed to output 1. Again, this “_FN” field is only used when the track is started with a MIDI Note-On command.

The remainder of the filename does not matter and long filenames are allowed.

The following are examples of valid filenames and their meaning:

1-Music Loop 21.wav: Track 1

438_Barking Dog.wav: Track 438

0101_L3 Violin A3.wav: Track 101, when triggered by MIDI will loop and appear on output 3

4096_S4 Flute B3.wav: Track 4096, when trigger by MIDI will not loop and appear on output 4"

Check the Robersonic's blog for more info, also this sheet to have an idea of the correspondence between numbers and midi notes:
https://cdn.sparkfun.com/assets/learn_tutorials/3/1/4/WAV_Trigger_MIDI _Chart_-_Nic_Danielson-2.pdf
M4ngu
Bamboombaps wrote:
robertsonics

Hi there, is your Tsunami under warranty?
cathmart
Thanks paperCUT and M4ngu...I will take the info and do a lot of experiments ting, hopefully if I need to come back foe another question it will be very specific and informed.
weasel79
i came here solely for the incredible thread/product title, and found a super amazing well thought out sample player... big ups. shame i'm not into modular synths haha.
ersatzplanet
weasel79 wrote:
i came here solely for the incredible thread/product title, and found a super amazing well thought out sample player... big ups. shame i'm not into modular synths haha.

The main guts of the Nutella is a PCB that you can get from SparkFun call the Tsunami (~$80). It is a stand-alone product and doesn't need a modular at all to run. It can be turned into a Mellotron or a media player or any wav file player you want. It can can be run from MIDI or switch closures or gates of the right voltage. The Nutella is just the best interface for eurorack use. The board itself can easily work without it for other purposes.

ersatzplanet
cathmart wrote:
Thanks paperCUT and M4ngu...I will take the info and do a lot of experiments ting, hopefully if I need to come back foe another question it will be very specific and informed.

The other think that hangs people up is that the Tsunami PCB can run in MONO or STEREO modes (reading mono or stereo files), but NOT both at the same time. You have to rewrite the onboard flash to change modes. If you mix stereo files and mono files together, the unit will not run the ones in the other mode. To can use dual mono files to fake stereo (linking them together with the .INI file) but you can't force both channels of a stereo file into one output.

Even though the modes can be changed, it is MUCH easier to plan ahead and choose a mode that works best and stick with it. I have chosen stereo myself and have made stereo files with two sounds panned hard left and hard right when I want mono files. It is nice that way when using material like Bass and Drums, the files will be hard sync'd together in tempo that way.
cathmart
paperCUT wrote:
The file naming is a little tricky but once you get in the swing of it not too bad. You can have all the files play out of a single output (or pair) if you want, it's controlled in the naming convention and settings in the configuration program.

I have mine set up to play from the beatstep so if you have a specific example I could tell you exactly how to name and set it up smile

The midi and trigger cheat sheets on the Nutella page are really useful!

I looked up the Robertson information,,,of course...doh! I keep forgetting the Nutella is just an interface and the Tsunami is the thing...but I cant find the Nutella midi map, I've seen it in the past but i cant find it now, can you point to it for me please.
paperCUT
https://cdn.sparkfun.com/assets/learn_tutorials/3/1/4/WAV_Trigger_MIDI _Chart_-_Nic_Danielson-2.pdf

cool

M4ngu if you ever do another hardware revision I'd love the outputs to be nomallised and mixed to the first set of outputs unless you interrupt it. Most of the time I run the Tsunami straight into my mixer just using one output and mixing them in hardware would cost nothing as long as they dont clip.
ersatzplanet
cathmart wrote:

I looked up the Robertson information,,,of course...doh! I keep forgetting the Nutella is just an interface and the Tsunami is the thing...but I cant find the Nutella midi map, I've seen it in the past but i cant find it now, can you point to it for me please.

The Nutella just passes the MIDI onto the Tsunami. The mapping of the Tsunami is what runs things. It is all in the Tsunami. The Nutella is converting Eurorack Gates to signals the Tsunami wants (basically switch closures done with Transistors), relocating the card to make things easier, extending the reset and user buttons to the front panel, and output level changes. The INI file does ALL the programming.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Music Tech DIY  
Page 1 of 2