MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Synton Fenix 4
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Modular Synth General Discussion Goto page 1, 2  Next [all]
Author Synton Fenix 4
mykelmoss
Looks like (Synton X This Is Not Rocket Science) is developing a new Fenix everyone! Progress on the individual pieces of the overall design is being shown on TINRS’ webpage! Expect eurorack compatibility— and standard MIDI plus USB!

Very exciting to see this revitalization happening!
Dave Peck
Link please!!

Edit - I've heard about THIS soon-to-be-released beast, from the same folks. But it's sort of an updated Synton Syrinx, not a new Fenix modular....

https://syntonovo.com/pan/
mykelmoss
http://www2.thisisnotrocketscience.nl/

Instagram: (@rocket_not)

Definitely a project to keep your eye on!

Chord Oscillator (3 analog OSC with digital control of chord intervals)
Digital Multimode Oscillator
4 different filters (Ladder, LPG, 3-band formant, and State variable)
4 LFOs (including a modest version of their Wobbler LFO)
Tunable Delay with 4 delay lines (DSP based I believe)
Phaser
Wave Multiplier
Wave Shaper
3 Envelope Generators
S&H
Slew Limiter
Mixers
Ring Modulator
Noise Generator
8 step 3 channel hybrid-sequencer
Dave Peck
Excellent!
MindMachine
VCA's?
mykelmoss
MindMachine wrote:
VCA's?

Most definitely
Rex Coil 7
Dave Peck wrote:
Link please!!

Edit - I've heard about THIS soon-to-be-released beast, from the same folks. But it's sort of an updated Synton Syrinx, not a new Fenix modular....

https://syntonovo.com/pan/
That web page is a bunch of ambiguous teasing BS. A picture of what appears to be some sort of keyboard that does (who knows what). Instead of information, we're provided with yet more links to yet more pages.

Stuff like that is so frustrating. Redneck

(I'm not pointing at anything of your doing, Member *Dave Peck ... my frustration is aimed at the web page creators/owners).

cool
lud
New Fenix?! Excellent news, please keep us updated!!
mykelmoss
I discovered the news through TiNRS' instagram. I saw the PCB with the Fenix logo and knew I was in for a treat! Really hoping this project comes to beautiful fruition to satiate the desire a lot of us have, Im sure, to get hands-on with a Fenix. With this being in eurorack format, it sounds like a classic once the design is finalized.

My understanding is that the frustration with the first Fenix is in its lack of internal routing. Though it still remains one of the more flexible synthesizers to emerge in the last 20 years
Blue Meanie
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CByUCBstZvM
diophantine
Synton Fenix IV officially announced/shown at Superbooth:
http://www2.thisisnotrocketscience.nl/eurorack/fenix-iv-modular-synthe sizer/
http://www2.thisisnotrocketscience.nl/getting-a-fenix-iv/

(I'm not there in person, so I can't answer any more questions.)

5000 EUR.

Looks pretty cool, and the price seems decent for what it is. As much fun as it looks, though, I think I'll have to pass, personally... as much for financial reasons as anything else (too much $$ tied up in DIY projects at the moment!).

Seems like a solid & interesting selection of circuits - of course there's a few things that I'd probably nit-pick, but I'd do that on the others too, and that's the case with virtually any synth. hihi But, too bad there's no nanners. sad banana
3vcos
I have a 2 and was ready to buy the 4. No banana jacks on a Fenix seems a bit lame. There is definetly some good stuff in this build though.

I was really hoping it would be the keyboard version they showed a year ago.
revtor
Rockin' Banana! applause thumbs up
diophantine
3vcos wrote:
I have a 2 and was ready to buy the 4. No banana jacks on a Fenix seems a bit lame. There is definetly some good stuff in this build though.

I'm envious, I agree, and I agree!

3vcos wrote:
I was really hoping it would be the keyboard version they showed a year ago.

Are you referring to the Synton Pan, or was there a keyboard Fenix? The Pan is there at Superbooth! But I have no details.
thetwlo
where's Bert?
this looks great, but that's a mess of patch points below. No banana is weird, and Bert said the IV wouldn't be a synth. Love the the II and III (and I) this seems odd.
pelican
Prob already all reserved
seeasound
this is not synton this is not rocket science
Reese P. Dubin
IMO
should be called something else
very unappealing layout. graphically like the late 1990s all over again
probably sounds great
seeasound
Well they are not calling Synton. It is a fenix evolution though.
I admit the render looks crap and im not realy into their other designs but I kind of liked how it looked in the video. Intense in a good way cool
pelican
seeasound wrote:
this is not synton this is not rocket science

Well no, but it was designed with synton’s help.
mykelmoss
I also find the lack of color coded neon jacks to be a bit lackluster-- regardless of them being banana or 3.5mm euro jacks. The undertaking is admirable, but feels a bit rushed for an unveiling at superbooth.

I feel the price is reasonable for something that has so much in one place, regardless of design choices and layout. However, I do not see myself picking one up......I'd rather try to score an original Fenix I + see a redo of the Syrinx with midi implementation. Something about Marc and Berts design beckons me more-- cheers to TINRS for this monster modular though......I know its tough work.
WholeLifeCrisis
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uo4Tp1RmqHg
phisynth
This thing maybe sounds good, but is ugly as hell. They really should hire a (or fire their) graphic designer.

grouping all the jacks apart from the controls is also a strange choice seriously, i just don't get it

Also, no more banana's ? Dead Banana
Yes Powder
phisynth wrote:
This thing maybe sounds good, but is ugly as hell. They really should hire a (or fire their) graphic designer.

grouping all the jacks apart from the controls is also a strange choice seriously, i just don't get it

Also, no more banana's ? Dead Banana

I think it looks awesome, but ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Previous Synton Fénix iterations had their jacks and controls separated, too. I think it's pretty elegant; I imagine it helps playability quite a bit.

I agree with you on the banana front, though. I'm guessing they opted for 3.5mm instead of banana because TINRS is primarily a Eurorack company, and with how ubiquitous the standard has become they felt people would complain and they'd potentially lose sales if they made it banana and people found couldn't so easily integrate it into their existing Euro. Oh well…
sad banana Dead Banana sad banana (viking funeral for banana)
MechaSeb
phisynth wrote:
This thing maybe sounds good, but is ugly as hell. They really should hire a (or fire their) graphic designer. [...] Also, no more banana's ? Dead Banana

I couldn't agree more.

Yes Powder wrote:
I imagine it helps playability quite a bit.

Hmm, if by playability you mean, turning pots while not having a bunch of spaghettis on top of your hands, then, yes definitely, it helps. But if you include prior patching step, i wouldn't say it helps in any term.

I had the chance to play for few hours both Fenix I & II and found myself always checking which controls is assigned to which bananas in/out sockets, eye scrolling back & forth between pots & sockets. It's certainly a question of being used to it (as everything) but imh, it's not quite instinctive.

I also prefered the I in term of sound caracter and layout. The II is better in term of synthesis possibility but the layout was already quite confusing (still in columns but with more options added, get the whole a bit confusing). Don't even want to imagine with this new one if they remains with this layout schem.

Ymmv of course.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Modular Synth General Discussion Goto page 1, 2  Next [all]
Page 1 of 2