MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Computer noise through speakers - not sure if right forum
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Music Software  
Author Computer noise through speakers - not sure if right forum
clapclap
Hello all, I have been experiencing noise from my computer bleeding into my studio monitors. It sounds likes it's related to the internet signal. I have a wifi card in my PC and was wondering if this could be the cause of this noise. If anyone has any good resources to point to for troubleshooting I would appreciate that. Also, if this is in the wrong forum I apologize.

Thank you!
mritenburg
clapclap wrote:
Hello all, I have been experiencing noise from my computer bleeding into my studio monitors. It sounds likes it's related to the internet signal. I have a wifi card in my PC and was wondering if this could be the cause of this noise. If anyone has any good resources to point to for troubleshooting I would appreciate that. Also, if this is in the wrong forum I apologize.

Thank you!

The obvious question: did you try disabling wi-fi and removing the wi-fi card? If you did and the problem persists, you need to dig deeper.

Can you post the description of your setup?

1. What is the signal path from your computer to your studio monitors?
2. Are all devices on the same power outlet and grounded correctly?
3. Is your audio interface internal or external?
4. Are your studio monitors powered or passive?
5. If they are passive, what are you using as a power amplifier?
clapclap
Thank you for helping me troubleshoot mritenburg

I have disabled wi-fi but haven't removed my wi-fi card. The sounds still persist.

I am running a RME Babyface via USB and XLR cables from the Babyface to the monitors

All devices are on the same power outlet but not sure if they are grounded correctly.

Audio interface is external

Studio monitors are powered
mritenburg
clapclap wrote:

I have disabled wi-fi but haven't removed my wi-fi card. The sounds still persist.

I am running a RME Babyface via USB and XLR cables from the Babyface to the monitors

All devices are on the same power outlet but not sure if they are grounded correctly.

Audio interface is external

Studio monitors are powered

Thanks for posting that info. There are a couple additional trouble-shooting steps you can try:

1. Unplug the XLR cables to your monitors and turn up their volume. Do you hear the noise from your monitors with nothing connected?

2. Reconnect the XLR cables but unplug the USB cable from your RME interface. Do you hear the noise when your monitors are connected to the interface but not your computer?

It's probably worth noting that complaints about noise seem to be common with the RME Babyface. A google search turns up lots of hits.
clapclap
clapclap wrote:

1. Unplug the XLR cables to your monitors and turn up their volume. Do you hear the noise from your monitors with nothing connected?

Thank you again!

Just tried removing the XLR cables which stopped the noise. I just double checked all connections and my PC is plugged into the same strip as my monitors. I noticed however that my power strip's "ungrounded' light is lit up. Do you think this could be the reason why I'm getting noise? If so, is there anyway to ground the power strip? I live in an older apartment building and the surge protector is connected to a three pronged outlet. However, the light still says "ungrounded". I'm just not sure what exactly is going on here.

For additional background, my RME Babyface worked without noise when I used my laptop previously with the same setup. I am using monoprice xlr cables so I wonder if these cheap cables could perhaps be a factor as well (update: just tried some other XLR cables with no change in result).
clapclap
Oddly, I now notice that sometimes the noise is only coming through one of the monitors. I also was just on my phone and noticed that the monitors are reacting to the activity on my phone as well.
Panason
Sounds like the grounding issue needs to be fixed. I'm sure someone here will know the best way to test that... the way I can think of is too ghetto !
clapclap
Thanks Panason! Does anyone have any grounding advice or is this beyond the scope of this forum?
Panason
OK, I would take a thick cable with exposed ends and take one end twist it / double it up if not fat enough and stick it into a GROUND terminal at one of the sockets on the power strip .. then touch the other end to a grounded object such as a built-in radiator.... or, ultimately, a piece of metal stuck into the ground outside! Obviously you want t make sure the wire actually makes contact with the ground terminal on the power strip for the test to be valid. In the UK it is possible to disassemble a mains plug and take one of the metal prongs out and attach it to a wire , then insert it into a ground terminal....
This trick should definitely establish a ground connection so you can see if this is the source of the problem and if so you'd want to get the apartment's wiring sorted out.

Disclaimer :I am not an electrical engineer and don't recommend this if you don't know which is the ground outlet on your mains sockets. lol
nanobot
A less risky approach might be to purchase something like this. http://orchid-electronics.co.uk/dual_isolator.htm
clapclap
Plugged in my Babyface to my old Thinkpad laptop and there's no noise. So it has to be with my new computer. I may go with one of these: https://www.amazon.com/ART-DTI-Transformer-Isolator-Interface/dp/B0009 GUOQA
robkramble
I can vouch for the Ebtech HumX solving all ground hum problems
phonodyne
I had intermittent noise issues with my PC and Babyface Pro. I spent ages trying to address what I thought was a grounding issue but it turned out to be a faulty stick of RAM that was culprit.
Plumbstone
phonodyne wrote:
I had intermittent noise issues with my PC and Babyface Pro. I spent ages trying to address what I thought was a grounding issue but it turned out to be a faulty stick of RAM that was culprit.

Ha. That’s a wierd one! How on earth did you figure it out?
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Music Software  
Page 1 of 1