MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Information
Happy holidays! Please see the year-end funding drive post in the Announcements subforum. Thanks and all my love to you beautiful people.

Juno 106 vs OB-6
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> General Gear Goto page 1, 2  Next [all]

OB-6 or Juno 106?
OB-6
80%
 80%  [ 60 ]
Juno 106
20%
 20%  [ 15 ]
Total Votes : 75

Author Juno 106 vs OB-6
clapclap
Would you go for the classic vintage 106 or the modern OB-6?
kcd06
OB-6, so as to not buy more 30+year-old electronics that are loaded with bits that are difficult/impossible to replace today. The OB6 is really fun to play with, makes sounds that have not been sampled/resampled/emulated and otherwise used to oblivion as seemingly is the case with the Juno.
chvad
kcd06 wrote:
OB-6, so as to not buy more 30+year-old electronics that are loaded with bits that are difficult/impossible to replace today.

I would have said this is if I was gonna type anything lol
Jean Luc Cougar
OB-6 all day over the Juno 106

Given the chip failure on this unit, the inflated prices, and that you can get this sound cheaper elsewhere it’s a simple decision (assuming price is no object)

Grab a used OB-6 desktop and a used Juno 1 or 2
/ done
Sir Ruff
Is this a joke/troll post? Take it to GS.
Futuresound
Sir Ruff wrote:

This seems like an entirely reasonable post. Don’t be a dick, take that to GS hihi
Sir Ruff
Futuresound wrote:
Sir Ruff wrote:

This seems like an entirely reasonable post. Don’t be a dick, take that to GS hihi

It’s a zero content post. Do you like the minimoog or do you like the SH 101? Do you like chocolate or vanilla? Do you like cats or dogs? There’s no reason or background given for why the OP wants/needs to know the answer to this, so essentially who cares?
clapclap
I thought that this forum is in part about gear comparison. You see these types of posts all the time. But since you insist, I have a Juno 106 and was just thinking about moving onto a OB-6. I didn't want to give any background since I just wanted to get general opinions on how people around here are feeling about vintage vs more modern gear that somewhat emulates the old school sounds but adds a little variety. My Juno has updated voice chips so that's not an issue. The sound is classic and you can't go wrong with it. Bread and butter synth. I"ve never tried out a OB-6 however. Sorry, I feel a little bad now for posting this.
damase
clapclap wrote:
I thought that this forum is in part about gear comparison. You see these types of posts all the time. But since you insist, I have a Juno 106 and was just thinking about moving onto a OB-6. I didn't want to give any background since I just wanted to get general opinions on how people around here are feeling about vintage vs more modern gear that somewhat emulates the old school sounds but adds a little variety. My Juno has updated voice chips so that's not an issue. The sound is classic and you can't go wrong with it. Bread and butter synth. I"ve never tried out a OB-6 however. Sorry, I feel a little bad now for posting this.

Don’t feel bad. It’s a worthy comparison and a useful thread for anyone in the future searching. I’ve got experience with both synths and I confidently say sell your Juno and get the ob6. The sound territory is much more limited in the Juno
kcd06
Quote:
My Juno has updated voice chips so that's not an issue.

How do feel about the new voicing versus the originals? (also, ignore the one person complaining, your original question was not at all gearslutty.)
Mind Flayer
I voted for the Juno. I prefer its character over the OB6. The OB6 is more versatile, has built in effects, a sequencer, and doesn't have the voice chip issue. On paper, spec-wise, it's far superior, but there's just something about the sound of the Juno that I love. It also has more keys than the OB6. And regarding the voice chip issue, you can buy a replacement set for something like $150-175, plus maybe $100 - $150 to have a tech replace them if they go. An inconvenience, for sure, but not that big a deal unless you live nowhere near a tech.

I have only had my OB6 for a few weeks and haven't had a ton of time to really dig into it yet, so my opinion might change. It's a really close call. They're both great. I'd be sad to get rid of either of them!

So, get the Juno-106, then get a used OB6 desktop, and you'll have the best of both worlds!
clapclap
kcd06 wrote:
Quote:
My Juno has updated voice chips so that's not an issue.

How do feel about the new voicing versus the originals? (also, ignore the one person complaining, your original question was not at all gearslutty.)

When I got the J-106 there were two voice chips that were faulty. You could hear the synth play normally for about 20 minutes before the voices would start cutting out. From what I remember, the new voicing sounds the same as before to be honest. I think you'd have to have a really good ear to hear the difference.

Thanks everyone for your opinions. Ultimately I would have to sell the Juno to get a OB-6 plus probably another synth. I'm probably going to part ways with my Korg Poly 61 as well. Both are great synths but they cover some similar territory and take up a lot of space.
kwaidan
To satsify my Juno 106 lust, I picked up an RK-7 for $350-$400. While they have been creeping up in price, about six months ago, I saw one go for $400 at Guitar Center.
Mind Flayer
kwaidan wrote:
To satsify my Juno 106 lust, I picked up an RK-7 for $350-$400. While they have been creeping up in price, about six months ago, I saw one go for $400 at Guitar Center.

What is an RK-7?
Sir Ruff
clapclap wrote:

This is helpful context, and you should definitely get the OB-6. But without knowing that, the OP initially just sounded like another "vintage" vs. "modern" thread that usually goes nowhere. thumbs up
duncanperson
I have both, got the OB6 this year and had the 106 for a while before that. The OB-6 is genius, the sound is so perfect. I had to keep the 106 because the 24dB filters and chorus were so good which filled gaps where the OB6 couldn't go.

But really, the sound of the VCOs on the OB6 is much fatter than the 106. The only thing the OB6 lacks is a dedicated high pass filter (like the juno has).
mg05
"So, get the Juno-106, then get a used OB6 desktop, and you'll have the best of both worlds!"

or

"Grab a used OB-6 desktop and a used Juno 1 or 2"

This can't be a good strategy: Full rooms and empty pockets.

Get only the OB-6...
Jean Luc Cougar
mg05 wrote:
"So, get the Juno-106, then get a used OB6 desktop, and you'll have the best of both worlds!"

or

"Grab a used OB-6 desktop and a used Juno 1 or 2"

This can't be a good strategy: Full rooms and empty pockets.

Get only the OB-6...

USED OB-6 Desktop = $1800
USED Juno 1 = $200

Use the Juno 1 as the midi controller for the OB-6 Desktop
Get classic Roland + modern Oberheim for the same price as as the OB-6 + midicontroller and a whole lot of synth horsepower

That said, I agree with you on the minimalist front, it just depends on how bad the O.P. needs both Oberheim and Roland flavor in their setup. I was just trying to illustrate that it was possible to get both by thinking differently.
tron23
+1 for both, so different really. Guinness ftw!
kwaidan
Mind Flayer wrote:
kwaidan wrote:

What is an RK-7?

Sorry, I didn’t catch the typo. I meant the Roland MKS-7. It is a rack unit that consists of a 106, a bass voice, and a 707-esque drum machine. The 106 section boots up with 2 voices reserved for lead and 4 voices reserved for chords; however, you can override the feature to get all 6 voices. There are some minor differences between it and the 106, but the major problem is that you cannot save patches and there are no controls.

Since I do not like to play keyboards, I went with it and an OB-6. I don’t care about the lack of save, but it would be nice to have a controller program for the iPad.
ObsoleteModular
The Juno family (Alphas included) are hands down, no lie, as I live and breath, unbridled analog beauties ...

I have lived with a Juno 6 for many years.

but the OB-6 is so much more in comparison. I don't think it's fair to compare (I have an OB-6 too)

It's a bit like compring a Juno and a Jupiter. Yes the Juno's wonderful but there's just not quite enough there stacked up against more featured and equally as characterful rivals
Jean Luc Cougar
+1 I agree
But I would say that I love that the Junos have all the things you need, no frills and tend to just sound right. Sometimes the lack of options can be good too.
FlyingMusician
Do you want an apple or an orange? However if you are to compare a Juno to it, compare the Juno. 60, not the 106
beyourdog
This is a funny one...

At the time when Analog synths were cheap, my friends and I always looked down to the Juno synths...

I mean, I do the same now despite the hype...this is just a good joke...
oscilloscope
Sir Ruff wrote:

It’s a zero content post. Do you like the minimoog or do you like the SH 101? Do you like chocolate or vanilla? Do you like cats or dogs? There’s no reason or background given for why the OP wants/needs to know the answer to this, so essentially who cares?

Then maybe it's best that you don't participate at all in this thread. Now, posts criticizing other posts are truly zero content posts.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> General Gear Goto page 1, 2  Next [all]
Page 1 of 2