Shipping modular overseas to yourself

Anything modular synth related that is not format specific.

Moderators: lisa, luketeaford, Kent, Joe.

tauburn
Wiggling with Experience

Shipping modular overseas to yourself

Post by tauburn » Tue Nov 27, 2018 1:00 am

Hey guys I'm going to be in another country for a year and want to bring my 6U euro system. I don't think it will be possible to bring it on the plane and will be a bit stressful knowing its with me over the hectic flight and arrival. I was thinking of having someone ship it to me once i get to the destination. Has anyone done this? I am worried about the fact that I will have to declare the actual value to be able to insure the package and then get slammed with duty since it is so expensive. I really don't want to pay tax on my own personal belongings, but i can't risk shipping something so expensive without full insurance. The country is japan specifically. Hopefully someone has experience with this. I couldn't find much searching google as far as this goes.

JohnLRice

Post by JohnLRice » Tue Nov 27, 2018 1:52 am

No direct experience with personal items internationally when relocating but I used to work professionally setting up and writing software for commercial international shipping so the subject interests me. 8-) Here's a couple things I looked up out of curiosity.

Edited from https://internationalshippingusa.com/Sh ... Goods.aspx
Either you use a service from an international moving company or an international shipping company (Freight Forwarders, NVOCCs and VOCCs) or simply carry your goods in the trunk of your car across the border, your freight will always be a subject to destination charges.

When paying destination country's customs duty (as a part of destination charges), non-commercial international shipments containing household goods or personal effects that are not for sale may be allowed to enter most countries without or with not-significant duties or taxes. However, such international shipments must comply with destination countries regulations on importing household goods and personal effects. Those import regulations may be quite complicated.

In order to avoid "surprises" with your international shipment at the destination, if you ship household goods or personal effects oversea, we suggest that before you make any arrangements on your international shipment, contact a local Consulate or Embassy of the country where your goods will be shipped to. Ask them about special regulations, restrictions or charges (duty and/or taxes) that may occur on your international shipment when your goods will reach its destination.

See if you can obtain from the consulate a letter of relocation, or a letter that duty exceptions are granted on your international shipment. These shipping documents can be issued by the consulate before you are involved in the international shipping of household goods or personal effects. Having such documents in advance may be extremely helpful at a time of recovery of your goods at the destination.

You may also request customs duty and tax estimation from a Customs Broker in your destination country before making any arrangements on your international shipment. Most likely you will be asked to pay a fee on this service. However, if you are uncertain then it should worth your money and time.

If you use service from an international moving company, then always try to obtain as many details related to your your shipment as possible in advance. I.e. before your goods are submitted to the international shipping.

From https://www.movers.com/international-mo ... japan.html :
If you are moving to Japan permanently, you may import both personal effects (clothing, jewelry, toiletries) and household effects (furniture, rugs, linens, bedding, dishes, other furnishings) free of duty and tax if:
Goods have been in your possession for one year
Shipment arrives within six months of your entry into Japan
You are present in Japan at time of clearance (but you do not have to be present at customs)
If the Declaration Form is not completed and certified by customs officials upon arrival, your goods may be subject to duties and taxes
Keep receipts (with English translation) for any new items (duty and tax may apply)

Muff McMuff
Veteran Wiggler

Post by Muff McMuff » Tue Nov 27, 2018 9:45 am

If you really want to take it i would take it with you on the flight. Nearly all flights across the pacific from the USA allow two pieces of hold luggage at 23kg each. Possibly more in business class.

I have been to Japan a few times and its the only place that has always stopped me at customs and had a good look what was in my bags. Even checking the toothpaste. But having personal items is no crime so i would not be worried taking a eurorack synth to Japan for a year.

Pelsea
Ultra Wiggler

Post by Pelsea » Tue Nov 27, 2018 4:19 pm

Xerox your invoices so when you bring it back into the country you can prove you did not buy it overseas and don’t owe any duty.
Books and tutorials on modular synthesis at http://peterelsea.com
Patch responsibly-
pqe

ranix
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by ranix » Tue Nov 27, 2018 4:53 pm

make sure it physically fits in the baggage cage they make you check your carryon in for size

there's length width and height limits and if you exceed any of them you can't carry-on

some domestic flights make you stow your carryon with the checked baggage if the plane fills but I've never heard of that happening on an international

papz
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by papz » Thu Nov 29, 2018 4:51 pm

Finest EMS gear service and Music Easel/208 goodies

I'm not a synths dealer and I'm not aware of an inexpensive Synthi secret market, please don't ask me if I know one for sale.
I don't offer support of any kind to people attempting to build clones of EMS equipment.

Snuggs
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Snuggs » Mon Sep 02, 2019 1:05 pm

You can try these guys https://www.a1autotransport.com/moving-to-japan/ - they're a moving & car shipping company that delivers in Japan. No experience with them myself, but my uncle has used them to ship furniture to Japan before (from US).

cg_funk
Wiggling with Experience

Post by cg_funk » Mon Sep 02, 2019 3:39 pm

Am also moving overseas, and I'm downsizing into a 7U to do it.

Your 6U should be fine.. I think. depending on how it's made.

I am making an Intellijel7U case, specifically because their case is durable and has a lid that covers all the modules, and they also make a gig-bag that is overhead-bin compatible. The plan is to carry-on my 7U and never let it out of my sight. :-)

cackland
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Re: Shipping modular overseas to yourself

Post by cackland » Thu Jan 09, 2020 12:11 pm

I don't see why you wouldn't want to take it on board yourself. It's 6U and will easily fit.

I recently flew back from Australia to Los Angeles, with my 7U Intellijel Modular Case, plus 2 extra luggages. At the check in, I didn't even show it and just went through as on-board luggage. No issues.

I don't see why this would be an issue for Japan.

operator808
Common Wiggler

Post by operator808 » Sat Jan 11, 2020 12:19 pm

Hey dude.

I built a 6U 84HP system into a Pelican 1525 air case that I take on the plane (cabin baggage) and I tour with. All modules inside it weights about 6.4 kilos, less than the 7 kilos cutoff for most international flights. If you want I can help you with some tips. Alternatively, you could just buy a Mantis, decksaver and travel bag and roll with that.

yarderyyz
Learning to Wiggle

Post by yarderyyz » Sun Jan 12, 2020 3:08 am

I've flown to Japan several times and never had any problems bringing my 6U as part of my carry on. Personally the thought of my synth traveling international while not being on my person is terrifying.

cg_funk
Wiggling with Experience

Post by cg_funk » Sun Jan 12, 2020 8:07 am

Yep. Just travelled from LA to Denmark with my 7U Intellijel. Non-issue for carry-on. In fact the TSA agent laughed at me when I took it out of the box for the xray. Also the X-ray guy complimented me on how cool it looked.

Also, airlines have special rules for musical instruments. It it fits in the overhead, they will let you bring it on the plane even if it’s a bit large or heavy.

tau_seti
Veteran Wiggler

Post by tau_seti » Sun Jan 12, 2020 12:20 pm

Yeah, the last time I brought a modular with me, the TSA agent wanted to have a conversation about it...Wanted to know if there were percussion modules available since he was a drummer.

A few years back a TSA agent chased me down at the airport to talk to me about my Leica. He wanted one and wanted to know if it was worth it.

I would be terrified to ship my modular. Just bring it on board or alternatively, pack it well in a suitcase and put it underneath. Avoid putting it in a cardboard box. I’ve noticed that janky cardboard boxes attract attention from the customs folk.

Return to “Modular Synth General Discussion”