MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Information
Happy holidays! Please see the year-end funding drive post in the Announcements subforum. Thanks and all my love to you beautiful people.

Moog Two...or something.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> General Gear Goto page 1, 2  Next [all]
Author Moog Two...or something.
SteeVtheRipper
Now that Moog as shown us they can undertake the feat of creating such a complex polysynth, do you think they will make a scaled down version?

2 simple oscillators (or similar to S37)
2 envelopes
2 lfos
2 filters
limited mod matrix (or none at all)
simple mod section
limited effects with minimal editing
light weight chassis like Grandma

Basically a Moog version of the Rev 2/ P6/ OB6 (Or poly S37ish)

Price between 2K and 3K

I think that would slay! Thoughts?

Seems like they have 2 gaps in their product line now. Flagship Mono and Affordable Poly.

Personally I want to save for the One. I played it the other day and I could not stop smiling. I fell in love. But not everyone is of the mind to save $8k for one instrument.
Xmit
I was wondering exactly the same as soon as the One came out.

It strikes me Moog must have realised there's a market - lusting after the One behemoth that they can't afford - which would fully jump on board with a simplified version, like you say :

8 voice / 2 x VCO / LPF / HPF / 2 LFO / 2 ENV / no fx / limited mod routing. Keyboard & module versions.... £2 - 2.5kish for the keyboard, 40% less for the module.

I'd buy the module version in a heartbeat to get authentic Moog sound in a modern reliable Poly, that I can justify price-wise.
nectarios
They'll probably wait to see how many people they will get to sell their whole rigs to fund the One.

When the orders start declining, *maybe* they will do a scaled down version that will still be more expensive than anything that has similar features and get the people that could not afford the One, to buy the "Half", or something.
locust_locust
I hope they do because I'll be able to pick up a bunch of sub $1000 synths that people sell to fund it. :)
Panason
Sounds really boring.

Moog don't do "affordable" because that's not their market.
gentle_attack
The Moog One is almost too powerful, it's cost far outweighs it's usefulness.

Although I wonder how it will sound once it starts popping up on albums, it's possible I am wrong and skilled players can reign in the power. I don't think it's going to sound good played by unskilled hobbyists (other than your basic Moog basslines which again is why I said it's way overkill for most people).

Eventually Moog will make a cheaper poly, definitely. Probably 3+ yrs from now.
donato
Panason wrote:
Sounds really boring.

Moog don't do "affordable" because that's not their market.

The Werkstatt, Sub Phatty, DFAM, Mother, Grandmother and Minitaur all say hello. Yeah, not as cheap as an Akai Timberwolf, but pretty affordable comparatively. Maybe you can’t afford it. But it’s still considered affordable.
ObsoleteModular
Trigger warning!

The 'M' word has been used.
Xmit
Quote:

exactly this. Which is why they *will *make an affordable poly that - ok maybe it's "boring" - but will deliver just that core Moog sound & weight in a polysynth fomat, without the almost overkill feature set of the One.

But as for Moog not being affordable - utter balls. I've got several of their highly affordable instruments - 2 Mothers, a DFAM & a Grandmother.

Before that I had a Voyager Old School & before that a Source & Micromoog.

All of the Phatty range are hugely affordable. As far as I see it, Moog has *always* tried broadly to cover the whole market place for synth players.
ludotex
nectarios wrote:
the "Half", or something.

applause Mr. Green
Sir Ruff
Isn't there enough gear currently out there that we don't need to create pointless speculation about non-existent products?
gringostar
I hope they make a mono based on all the features in the One to replace the Voyager.

Between the Sub 37 and the Grandmother they have 2 really nice mono synths that aren't that expensive, but neither one can really replace the Voyager.
catchin
gentle_attack wrote:

Although I wonder how it will sound once it starts popping up on albums, it's possible I am wrong and skilled players can reign in the power. I don't think it's going to sound good played by unskilled hobbyists (other than your basic Moog basslines which again is why I said it's way overkill for most people).

This "hobbyist" is acquiring one. SlayerBadger!
mritenburg
gentle_attack wrote:

Isn't a Moog One RME the logical next step in the product line?
Panason
The Grandmother is not affordable (esp outside the US). The Boog and Neutron are affordable.
It's all relative, innit.
gentle_attack
catchin wrote:
gentle_attack wrote:

This "hobbyist" is acquiring one. SlayerBadger!

Careful brother, you might blow your eardrums with the crushing bass and stacked oscillators SlayerBadger!
nectarios
Panason wrote:
The Grandmother is not affordable (esp outside the US). The Boog and Neutron are affordable.

Its a grand in the EU.
A lot of people have bought things that cost a grand.
The question of why on earth would I want to spend a grand on something like the GM, is another subject.

Also, there are Little Phatty Stage 2s and what not, going for 650€ in the second hand market. They did not hold value and actually I would consider one for 550€-600€
Xmit
to be fair I did get my Grandmother for a lot, lot less than the current UK prices, so it was certainly affordable.

But I still contend that Moog do make products that cover pretty much the whole market cost-wise. I don't think a Mother 32 for example is hugely expensive when you stack it against comparable competition...especially not building a eurorack equivalent.
calaveras
Sir Ruff wrote:
Isn't there enough gear currently out there that we don't need to create pointless speculation about non-existent products?

I like to think that pointless speculation on Muffs is exactly why we have the One.
rowsbywoof
nectarios wrote:
Panason wrote:

Its a grand in the EU.
The question of why on earth would I want to spend a grand on something like the GM, is another subject.

Also, there are Little Phatty Stage 2s and what not, going for 650€ in the second hand market. They did not hold value and actually I would consider one for 550€-600€

Nah, you won't... Or you probably shouldn't. If 50€ is all that is keeping you from a Phatty, then it'll never be the right price. I bet if they hit 400€ tomorrow, the response would be, "If it was only 350€, I'd pick one up."

Hey no hate from me on that... I know how that goes, but yeah... If that's your thinking, I'd just skip the Phatty all together and find something else that actually excites you enough to buy it.

For saving you 550€-600€ I'll take a donation of 50€, though, if you're feeling the season grin
Sir Ruff
calaveras wrote:
Sir Ruff wrote:

I like to think that pointless speculation on Muffs is exactly why we have the One.

Extremely unlikely. They pretty much had the main premise/prototype design down like 5 years ago and the idea to make a poly long before that. "Wishful" comments on GS and to a lesser extent MW (thankfully) just fill up the airwaves. The "what should company X make next" threads" make up like 50% of the conversation on GS; would be nice to keep those threads over there and stick to real content here.
beyourdog
I would not be surprised if they just wanted to hit the Market with something Heavy like the Moog 1 to just knock down everyone (and fill in the wet dreams of Moog's engineers) to then propose another poly,something lighter and cheaper at a later date with patch points, like the Moog grandfather...

I personally do not understand why NO ONE ever proposed a Poly-version of the Minimoog (OK, price, etc...) and we can do it now maybe with 5 Behringer D but why not stacking 5 minimoog boards with 2 couple of LFOs in a nice wooden box?
nectarios
rowsbywoof wrote:
nectarios wrote:
Panason wrote:

Its a grand in the EU.

Nah, you won't... Or you probably shouldn't. If 50€ is all that is keeping you from a Phatty, then it'll never be the right price. I bet if they hit 400€ tomorrow, the response would be, "If it was only 350€, I'd pick one up."

Hey no hate from me on that... I know how that goes, but yeah... If that's your thinking, I'd just skip the Phatty all together and find something else that actually excites you enough to buy it.

For saving you 550€-600€ I'll take a donation of 50€, though, if you're feeling the season grin

True that. Should have typed 450-500€.

I had the Slim Phatty and found it sitting in the mix very well when I used it.
I think it will go down to that price at some point anyway so yeah, no rush.
Also for some reason I really like the looks of the Little Phatty, can't explain why...maybe because I looked at it so much when I was a Moog fan.
Blairio
If you are a professional musician, your keyboards are the tools of your trade, and therefore an investment - not to sit on until their value goes up, but to use to get and retain work. Better tools are easier to use and give better results. That applies to paint brushes and to keyboards alike.

I don't make my living from music anymore, but if I did, I would seriously consider a 'One. It would pay for itself in a few months and after that I would effectively have it for free.

Things like the Moog One are not aimed at the hobbyist (which is what I am quite happily now). They are aimed at (a) collectors with deep pockets, or (b) premiere league bands & session musicians, or (c) big name studios. The Moog One's price would not be regarded as exorbitant by any of these groups.

As for a GM being overpriced - it is 1/3 the price of the minimoog reissue, is far more flexible, and has a distinctive sound. I paid full uk retail for mine - as an early adopter -and I reckon it is still a bargain at that.
digitalganesha
My educated guess based upon fabrication and R&D efficiency in manufacturing would be that Moog will most likely (and be extraordinarily illogical if they do not) make a second tier poly that is simply just 1 of the 3 synthesizers composing the One. The One is 3 of the same synthesizer under one hood, which is why the price may seem over the top, but is really a great value when you factor that in and compare it to the rest of their single timbre, monophonic products. An 8 voice poly that is exactly the same as the One but monotimbral in a less robust, sans wood case, that sells for less than 2000 dollars would be a money maker for them.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> General Gear Goto page 1, 2  Next [all]
Page 1 of 2