MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Chorusezzisess .. Chorii .. (ACK!) .. which chorus??
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> 5U Format Modules  
Author Chorusezzisess .. Chorii .. (ACK!) .. which chorus??
Rex Coil 7
The Chorus Circuit. Choruses ... Chorii ... everwhateses ... everwhatii.

I've been sniffin' around in search of ~the killer chorus~ to use with analogue synths, most especially these wonderous 5U/MU format beasts we all share appreciation and love for. I'm kinda after midrange support, and the way certain chorus units can make a synth sound like it has more VCOs than it actually has without too much wash and warble.

I have a goodly pile of digital/modeled chorus types (Line 6, Lexicon) as well as the old Electro Harmonix Poly Chorus and Electric Mistress (them what's in the large ass stainless steel enclosures). I've also got a few DIY types I've built, but I'm not sure what they're clones of (I bought the PCBs from "BYOC" ... the 2 knob chorus they no longer sell).

So what do you fellas rely on? After falling asleep at the computer watching Tou Yube videos, that old Boss CE-2 "two knob" (late '70s/early '80s) sounds especially nice. But there's a few different pedigrees ("green label Made In Japan" .. "blue label MIJ" .. "Made In Taiwan" .. and so on).

I'm not as impressed with the new "Dimension" chorus (the WIZZY WAZA WOOZUH ones) .. Dimension C "DC-2W".

What say you? ....

* MXR?
* Boss?
* EHX?
* Ibanez?
* Earthquaker?
* Boutique/Others?
* DIY?

I used to own a couple of those Boss CE-20 chorus pedals ... the ones with two foot switches and a few user presets? I watched a few vids last night and they seem less impressive than I recall (but that could be due to mental fatigue and Vitamin B-12 burnout). They're the SHIZ NIZZLE on a clean sounding Telecaster as well as rock-bass though (which is what I used them on).

So ..... MAKE SPEAKS! dammit! you kids get off my lawn
mutierend
I use the TAL-U-NO LX chorus plug-in, or whatever it's called, from the JUNO. But for hardware, I use the TC Corona, which I like for its lo-fi character.
Rex Coil 7
mutierend wrote:
I use the TAL-U-NO LX chorus plug-in, or whatever it's called, from the JUNO. But for hardware, I use the TC Corona, which I like for its lo-fi character.
I think of using the computer as a post-production tool.

For performance situations, I need gear that will inspire me, inspire musical performance from me. I'm not one of those guys that can lay down an inspired bass guitar line with some dry-ass dead bass sound and then dress it all up fancy-like once it's recorded. I need to hear something that helps to inspire me ... push me ... into being as musical and entertaining as possible while I'm actually playing the track. I prefer to "play the sound". Some would call that "a flawed approach". At 58 years old, after all of the shit I've been through in my life, I've learned to be totally ok "being flawed" and not apologizing for my flaws. Take it or leave it, I am flawed.

lol help

Anyhow, your mention of the "TC Corona" is something I am sure as shit going to look in to. I'm into that sortof "lo fi" 70s thing, which is why the Strymon Deco r.e.a.l.l.y. appeals to me! That tape saturation distortion is just the dog's balls!

So I'm off to check on the TC Corona now .... thanks truckloads for offering something I wasn't previously exposed to! thumbs up
JohnLRice
Oakley Chorus/Flanger module maybe? SlayerBadger!
http://www.oakleysound.com/flanger.htm

http://www.krisp1.com/store/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=8&p roducts_id=130

[s]https://soundcloud.com/takla-makan/flanger-track[/s]
Flareless
I use an electro-harmonix Stereo Electric Mistress Flanger / Chorus. I run the box through an effects loop via the CGS60 Stomp Box adapter.

It's a great sounding effect that I find very useful. I like the idea of having some stomp boxes in my lineup as well because I like to use them with my other synths.

Rex Coil 7
Flareless wrote:
I use an electro-harmonix Stereo Electric Mistress Flanger / Chorus. I run the box through an effects loop via the CGS60 Stomp Box adapter.

It's a great sounding effect that I find very useful. I like the idea of having some stomp boxes in my lineup as well because I like to use them with my other synths.

I'm sorry, I don't see an Electro Harmonix Electric Mistress in that picture.

This is an Electro Harmonix Deluxe Electric Mistress .... and this is an Electro Harmonix Stereo Poly Chorus. These are mine. They are analog devices. They were made in New York City, which is a place in the United States of America. My Deluxe Electric Mistress was made in 1979, I am the original owner. My Stereo Poly Chorus was constructed in the 1980s, it is the same model that was used on Nirvana's breakout album "Nevermind" by the late Kurt Cobain. I am it's original owner.

The Stereo Electric Mistress is a digital flanger that shares no circuitry with the Deluxe Electric Mistress.

Yes I am being a total snob-ass prick. Haha! Mr. Green

Yes I am just having fun busting your balls. razz lol

Snob worthy list of all the EHX stompboxes in my synth rig:

* Deluxe Big Muff Pi.
* Deluxe Electric Mistress.
* Stereo Poly Chorus.
* Stereo Memory Man with Hazarai.
* Pitch Fork.
* Ring Thing.

Other signal processors:

* Dunlop Joe Bonamassa tribute Fuzz Face Mini.
* Boss PH-3 phase shifter.
* (2) Boss RT-20 Rotary Simulators.
* Boss RE-20 Space Echo.
* Boss RV-6 Digital Reverb and Delay.
* (2) Boss LS-2 Line Switcher.
* T-Rex phase shifter.
* Custom built DIY Phase 90 clone.
* (3) Custom built BYOC two knob chorus of some type.
* Korg Kaoss Pad Plus (KP3+).
* Strymon DECO.
* Original Marshall Guv'Nor overdrive/distortion.
* (3) boss RC-1 phrase loopers.
* (2) Line 6 M13 digital multi FX.
* (2) Lexicon MX200 digital rack multi FX.
* Alesis DEQ-830 (8 channel 31 band digital EQ with 100 user curves plus 100 user presets).
* A half dozen or so other distortion/compressor/overdrive stomp boxes made by some defunct company called Farndurk.
* Aphex 204 2 channel Aural Exciter with Big Bottom rack mounted EQ/Compressor.
* Aphex Xciter single channel Aural Exciter with Big Bottom stomp box.
* MXR 10 Band EQ stomp box.
* Presonus EQ3B rack mounted 3 band parametric EQ.
* Presonus TubePRE rack mounted mic preamp.
* (6) ART Tube MP Studio mic peramps.
* Behringer Composer Pro XL rack mounted 2 channel compressor/de-esser.

Ain't I a stinker! razz Mr. Green

applause applause applause applause
BTG
Clusterflux and baloran triko are my staples.
josaka
the JH triple chorus is something...

and pedal wise the Boss/roland CE-1

ibanez/maxon and MXR have nice ones too..
Flareless
Rex Coil 7 wrote:

Well that's almost impressive but you can't call it a real collection without a REAL Roland RE-201 Space Echo so..... thanks for playing Mr. Green

But seriously folks.... that's some damn impressive hardware you have there Rex!

Whatever my Stereo Electric Mistress is or isn't, I really like the effects I get from it. Nice and sweepy.
Rex Coil 7
Flareless wrote:
Rex Coil 7 wrote:

Well that's almost impressive but you can't call it a real collection without a REAL Roland RE-201 Space Echo so..... thanks for playing Mr. Green
Oh ... dayum! I'm going home.

Flareless wrote:
But seriously folks.... that's some damn impressive hardware you have there Rex!
Years and years and years .... I'm as certain as I can be you completely relate to that.

Flareless wrote:
Whatever my Stereo Electric Mistress is or isn't, I really like the effects I get from it. Nice and sweepy.
Aw ... I was just funnin' with ya ... I love a number of my Line 6 digital FX ... the ring mod in the M13 is rude as hell and crude with an illegal amount of harmonic content. I mean, I'm using two Boss RT-20 digital rotary simulators on my precious 1962 Hammond C3 ... AND a Boss RE-20 space echo! And that's all Roland "COSM" stuff! And you're gonna have to fight me for my Nord Micro Modular!

Mr. Green
sbuge
I tried to grap RE-201 for years with decent price tag but luckily nowadays there is T-REX Analog Tape Echo (pedal/modular)
It is smaller than re-201 and it is also really good sounding. Only bad thig is that it cost almost 900€ hihi
fac
I'm not a big fan of chorus, but I have a 1984 Boss CE-300 for those times. Also used to own a Yamaha E1010 delay which has an LFO to modulate the delay time, so it could do a rudimentary chorus, but it was super noisy.

I don't think I've ever used any chorus preset in my digital multi-fx (Lexicon MPX-100 and MPX-500, Zoom RFX-1000).
kindredlost
Nothing vintage or obscure, but I rely on...

Synthetic Sound Labs S1310 VC Digital Delay
Behringer CC300 Space C
TC Electronic D-Two
(2) Lexicon MX200

TC Electronics supposedly is coming out with a Juno Chorus pedal sometime in the future, but I wouldn't hold your breath...

http://www.gearnews.com/tc-electronics-june-60-chorus-effect-pedal/

I'd like one of Tony Allgood's SRE330 Ensemble units someday. Dr.Gris can maybe clue me in about the device if he has his by now. It seems to be "the one" I'm waiting for.

http://www.muffwiggler.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=188378&start=all&post days=0&postorder=asc
hamildad
kindredlost wrote:

Behringer CC300 Space C

This is my chorus pedal... haven't had a reason to buy anything else really.

although the Waza version is stereo in, which appeals when using it on a send track..

but chorus is more for individual voices, so most of my stuff is mono.
Dr Gris
kindredlost wrote:

I'd like one of Tony Allgood's SRE330 Ensemble units someday. Dr.Gris can maybe clue me in about the device if he has his by now. It seems to be "the one" I'm waiting for.

http://www.muffwiggler.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=188378&start=all&post days=0&postorder=asc

My SRE-330 is currently being built by member LED-man (DSL-man)
who also sells some Haible Triple Chorus with vintage chips in MU, if there's any left...

It's an "over the top" chorus unit with everything you need, in stereo!!
A hardcore chorus box, with a price tag...worth every penny Mr. Green

I'm mainly gonna use it with my Lambda since it lacks the lush chorus I miss from playing the String Melody II.

No Roland RE here anymore but having fun with old Dynacord boxes and Binson Echorec. The old Dynacord tape delay also have a brutal tube distortion if you want... nanners

Ok, enough bragging, I actually like the Source Audio pedals.
I got two of their modulation pedals and the Nemesis delay.
All digital but good!!

//M
fac
kindredlost wrote:
I wouldn't hold your breath...

hmmm.....

I totally forgot about the SSL 1310 Digital Delay. I have one of those as well.

Also have a Line6 DL4 delay modeler, which has a couple of chorus models. And if we go to extremes, some of my synths, such as the Korg EA-1 or the Emu MP7 can apply their effects (chorus being one of them) to external signals.
Rex Coil 7
kindredlost wrote:
... I'd like one of Tony Allgood's SRE330 Ensemble units someday. Dr.Gris can maybe clue me in about the device if he has his by now. It seems to be "the one" I'm waiting for.

Aw shoot! I feel guilty about forgetting of Tony's chorus anytime I think about this chorus stuff. Every time someone brings up Tony's chorus I always think to myself the same thing ... "oh that's right! ... there's that one too!".

Dang it.

I've done a fair bit of research on it. A couple/few months back I had a thread going about "70s String Synths" and the Oakley SRE330 came up more than once as a fairly necessary piece of the classic string synth equation.

Ha! Ironically, as I sit typing listening to internet radio "Kansas" has just come on .... talk about 70s string sounds!!!

Last night I got to thinkin' ("oh no! he's been ~thinkin'~ again! .. here comes another of his 1,000 word dissertations! .. everyone run for the hills!!"). I built one of the two knob BYOC chorus units, which worked absolute wise magic on the Arturia Minibrute ... really created a legit sounding "second VCO" credible enough to fool discerning ears. So I was thinking about how using TWO of those might work ... as a sortof dual parallel chorus ringy dingy thingy wadget gadget. They're strictly monaural circuits, but two of them in parallel (one for the left, one for the right ??) ... that could stir the Mighty 70's Tone Wizard Trio from their sacred tombs where they lie amongst the altars of Les Pauls, Tonewheel Hammonds, Marshall stacks, Minimoogs, Jazz basses, and Shure SM57s ... Om Om Om

(NOTE: The Shure SM57 has been the microphone used on the U.S. President's lectern since 1965 when it became the "official" mic used for Presidential speeches ... everything they put on the internet is true, it's a law, everybody knows that) meh

I have about ten of those BYOC two knob chorus boards, and I know for certain I have the innards to make at least three more on hand. There's one sitting on the hard right side of the keyboard in this image (the little silver/grey box with two blue knobs) ...

LINK = https://buildyourownclone.com/collections/modulation/products/analog-c horus

MORE IRONY (this is a good one!): Over the last few weeks I've been researching this chorus stuff. In that effort, I've watched any number of videos, some of which compare the new Boss chorus pedals with their discontinued "CE-2" (their original "little blue chorus"). Oh man, I'll tell ya what, once I heard a few of those comparisons with real vintage CE-2s against any other ones, it became clear to me that the original CE-2 was "teh shit".

Yea ... that is until I started shopping them and discovered the originals sell for anywhere between $175 and $400 (depending on condition and how snooty the seller is). But ... simply nothing else sounds like the old CE-2.

With one exception ... the little two knob DIY chorus I built that's sitting on my keyboard has always given me the warm-n-fuzzies.

Well, typical of me, when I went to locate the webpage on BYOC to provide the link needed to complete this post, I read the description of that circuit on the BYOC web page and discovered that the "original two knob chorus circuit" is an intentional clone of the Boss CE-2. Right down to the ICs.

Well ain't that a bitch! No wonder I like the little DIY chorus pedal I built so much ... it's a flippin' Boss CE-2! I didn't know that until about ten minutes ago. All I knew was that I like what I heard of the CE-2 in all of these video comparisons I've watched over the past two weeks ... and I knew that I liked my little BYOC 2 Knob Chorus.

So it all came together .... The Universe is calm, string theory has been validated, all of the wars stopped on planet Earth, water is again wet, fire is again hot, and humanity has come together in one giant Coke commercial ("I'd like to teach the world to sing, in perfect harmony.." remember that?).

In my efforts to do one of my posts where I include a link to something I've referenced ("LINK =") ... I've discovered there is a good chance a potential solution is something I have a half dozen PCBs for sitting in a storage tub in my studio. This is just some ironic shit right here.

Now ... back to the "dual parallel chorus gonkulating" .....

... thinking .... thinking .... hmmm.....
Rex Coil 7
Dr Gris wrote:
kindredlost wrote:

My SRE-330 is currently being built by member LED-man (DSL-man)
who also sells some Haible Triple Chorus with vintage chips in MU, if there's any left...

It's an "over the top" chorus unit with everything you need, in stereo!!
A hardcore chorus box, with a price tag...worth every penny Mr. Green

I'm mainly gonna use it with my Lambda since it lacks the lush chorus I miss from playing the String Melody II.

No Roland RE here anymore but having fun with old Dynacord boxes and Binson Echorec. The old Dynacord tape delay also have a brutal tube distortion if you want... nanners

Ok, enough bragging, I actually like the Source Audio pedals.
I got two of their modulation pedals and the Nemesis delay.
All digital but good!!

//M
This is a thread I started about creating 1970s string synth sounds. There's some seriously cool things posted in that thread. Member *Dave Peck posted a patch for the Nord Modular (as well as a variant for the Nord G2) that uses the Nord as a chorus unit where you'll run your string synth sound source into the Nord as an external input. The Nord patch by Dave is an external processor only, it makes no sounds. There are a few other ideas put forth by a number of people in that thread as well ...

LINK = https://www.muffwiggler.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=203334&highlight=

Dancing Star
Dave Peck
I was just about to chime in and remind Rex that he has a Nord Modular Micro, and I've had lots of great results making roll-your-own chorus device patches for the NM. The Elka / Solina triple chorus patch discussed in the other thread is just one of them. Some of them are quite simple but sound REALLY good, and they each have very different sounds.

I'm kinda swamped right now but I may be able to post a couple of screen shots and the patch 'text files' later, so anyone with a Nord Modular can recreate them.
Rex Coil 7
Dave Peck wrote:
I was just about to chime in and remind Rex that he has a Nord Modular Micro, and I've had lots of great results making roll-your-own chorus device patches for the NM.
Sure, but I only have one Micro ... it can't be doing external processor tasks and be used as a synth simultaneously ... unlike the full size Modular. I have plans (and have made programs) for the Nord Micro already. When I add a second one then using the Nord Modular as a chorus will be viable. However the 2nd is a few pages flipped ahead on the calendar. Cuz reasons.

pbear :(
kindredlost
fac wrote:
kindredlost wrote:
I wouldn't hold your breath...

hmmm.....

I only mean that Behringer and TC Electronics have so many "in the pipeline" synths and effects they have proposed and are kind of slow to actually come to market with some of them. I don't doubt it will arrive at some point but you'll be blue if you are breathlessly waiting.
JGabriel
Fulltone TERC (That 80's Rack Chorus) here...
Which is kind of a funny name for it, being based on the Dyno My Piano chorus which is 70s .. Anyhow, I believe it was developed specifically when the Rhodes became more widespread and people wanted to make it more interesting. It does indeed sound amazing on Rhodes, synth, pretty much anything you throw at it. But it's not the most programmable/controllable piece of gear ive used. But have gotten really great results (it's mono in with stereo out and the stereo spread you can get with it is nuts)
boothnavy
Boss CE-1

Go big or go home.

The new Boss Wazacraft DC-2W is pretty sweet, too.
josaka
boothnavy wrote:
Boss CE-1

Go big or go home.

the CE-1 is top drawr..
have to chime in one the 201 chorus.. its rubbish smile
(had a 201 for years the chorus never went on anything!!)
this is my (Analogue but called digital !!?) DC50.. better than the 201 still not a patch on the CE-1 smile

oddly for chorus I use my two MAXON AD-230's..multi flangers they just sound Deep and epic..

MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> 5U Format Modules  
Page 1 of 1