MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

To TKB, or Not to TKB
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Buchla, EMS & Serge  
Author To TKB, or Not to TKB
syncretism
...that's actually not the question. The question is should I pull the trigger on a competitively-priced clone that's available now or wait for the R*S version? I don't have a TKB, though I do have other, simpler sequencers.
tojpeters
I’ve never heard of a TKB clone
Maybe post some pics
syncretism
tojpeters wrote:
I’ve never heard of a TKB clone
Maybe post some pics


The Human Comparator made one, no?

Edit: http://thehumancomparator.net/wordpress/instructions-tkb/
tojpeters
I’m pretty sure that was licensed and fees paid to Serge
Just like Random Source or CGS
syncretism
Very well. The provenance isn’t really the thrust of my question, but I’m glad to know it.
fonik
The Human Comparators TKB is a kind of Replika of the original TKB from the 80ies, while the R*S TKB is an updated version.

The new TKB is basically the same, but we
- replaced the obsolete MUX,
- added optional glide (row B controlls the amount of glide for each step of row A),
- added vertical LEDs,
- added a vertical reset,
- de-glitched the keyboard (only one key ON at a time),
- calibrated the Key voltage out to 1V/oct (semi tone steps),
- touch strip has a special (expensive) coating,
- optional on-board DC/DC converter to power it with a Laptop PSU,
- made a super slim boat, and finally
- it will be available with bananas OR mini jacks for euro.

And now you ask for an ETA, I bet. A first small batch of assembled PCBs in in the house but we still have to do some testing.
cygmu
I think you should get the THC one because it is available now and I am impatient to see and hear what you do with it in your system!
cygmu
Quote:

- it will be available with bananas OR mini jacks for euro.


This made me doubt: is it 4U and 17" wide? Or a Euro form factor?

fonik wrote:

And now you ask for an ETA, I bet. A first small batch of assembled PCBs in in the house but we still have to do some testing.


I'd be more interested in the target price than the date but I won't be surprised or sad if you can't reveal that.
tobb
syncretism wrote:
...that's actually not the question. The question is should I pull the trigger on a competitively-priced clone that's available now or wait for the R*S version? I don't have a TKB, though I do have other, simpler sequencers.


Get the THC clone,because its an exact 1/1 clone like the original Serge one,is full throug-hole,so easy to repair or mod.

And because as soon as the R/S version will be released, the THC versions will maybe be harder to find.. Mr. Green
syncretism
cygmu wrote:
I think you should get the THC one because it is available now and I am impatient to see and hear what you do with it in your system!


You’re too kind, and I was too slow on the draw. I guess I’ll have to wait.
Batchas made compelling arguments for the new in another thread. I could also just get into the habit of using my beautiful Archangel sequencer, which is so frigging deeply musical.
cygmu
Some of the R*S tweaks are going to be useful: the vertical reset for sure. The glide is handy no doubt but I think I have 12 slew modules in my Serge already smile
tIB
Not so sure about the keyboard de-glitching that's been a 'feature' for me. The vertical reset is a good one however.

Anyhow, not sure I'd be waiting if there was a decently priced thc or original tkb about - fun module for sure!
syncretism
tIB wrote:

Anyhow, not sure I'd be waiting if there was a decently priced thc or original tkb about - fun module for sure!


Thanks, but that’s just the thing I didn’t need to hear. Ha! More fool me, I guess.
tobb
tIB wrote:
Not so sure about the keyboard de-glitching that's been a 'feature' for me.


Its probably useful in some performances but at same time its a bad thing because it can be often more creative without.
beem
fonik wrote:

- made a super slim boat


My THC TKB fits in a 2 inch boat, pretty slim as well.
phisynth
cygmu wrote:
get the THC one because it is available now


where ?
tobb
phisynth wrote:
cygmu wrote:
get the THC one because it is available now


where ?


Here in the for sale section! (if still available)
syncretism
Yeah, it's gone all, sorry.
julian
I asked on another thread some time back, but it seems sensible to comment again here -

What are people's opinions of the cgs based builds?


Seems like a cheaper option that is availible right now?
phisynth
julian wrote:
What are people's opinions of the cgs based builds?


Since I've built my CGS-based TPS, I never missed my TKB
Much better sensitivity, stage select input (essential imho), only missing random mode compared to the TKB, but not a big deal

tIB
Stage select is massive. I've always thought the best option would be two 8 step sqp with the addition of the tkbs vertical section. Doesn't stop the tkB being great mind...
syncretism
THC TKB, I fuckin' did it; I fuckin' did it!

I held off a long while, reasoning that my Archangel gives me all I need from the TKB and then some, but

    The AA isn't a gate sequencer, and who knows when Dt3 will have a gate expander for sale
    The prospect of having something "native" to my system that doesn't require cable conversion is awfully compelling.

Now I just have to wait for it arrive in the post. I'm pretty stoked - with the R*S SQP8 and Stroh Boolean Drive already here, some terrific possibilities unfold.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Buchla, EMS & Serge  
Page 1 of 1
Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group