MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Information
Happy holidays! Please see the year-end funding drive post in the Announcements subforum. Thanks and all my love to you beautiful people.

Rotary speaker effects.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> General Gear Goto page 1, 2  Next [all]
Author Rotary speaker effects.
mousegarden
I used to have an old Zoom RFX1100 effects unit, I used to use it for its rotary sound, it was wonderful for making really metallic acoustic type sounds, I'm wondering if there are any alternatives as the RFX is difficult to find these days.
I want to use it with my Easel, I think it'll go well with it. I'm looking for a similar low-fi rotary sound, maybe a pedal of some kind, be grateful for any ideas.
Feinstrom
The Ibanez Rotary Chorus is a marvellous unit.
A mixture between chorus and speaker simulaion, as the name implies.

Cheers,
Bert
Feinstrom
That should have been "simulation", sorry...
mousegarden
Feinstrom wrote:
The Ibanez Rotary Chorus is a marvellous unit.
A mixture between chorus and speaker simulaion, as the name implies.

Cheers,
Bert

Thanks Bert, I'll as usual, check it out!

PS, looks like they are quite rare as well, just like the RFX.
Feinstrom
There's also that brown plastic Korg rotary sim, I can't recall the name.
Also a bit chorusey, but that's usually a bonus used with other instruments than organs.

If you're familiar with the Zoom stuff, why not try the Zoom Studio 1201?
Has a rotary sim as well, and can be had for chips.
Best have it circuitbent by Circuitbenders.co.uk - puts it into another league!

Cheers,
Bert
Rigo
Dynacord CLS-222 ?
Chevron87
That Dynacord CLS-222 is bad ass!

Native Instruments Guitar Rig has the rotator component which is cool. Especially if you already ahve Komplete wink Also Ik Multimedia have a cool looking Leslie plug in too
BugBrand
Always wanted to try a Dynacord CLS-22 (or might be 222) - though that doesn't exactly fit in the 'easy to find' category.

(seems others are on the same wavelength while I was replying!)
mousegarden
Just seen this, the Dynacord goes for big bucks now, also very rare.

BenA718
I use a BOSS RT-20 for rotary/Univibe effects. It’s awesome, and with a delay you can get some amazing stereo soundscapes going!
chvad
i've recently been looking at the lester k to use with the organs i've programmed on my p6 and k3. stereo in/out. seems to sound nice from the demos i've heard. not too pricey. haven't pulled the trigger yet but def about to... unless this thread reveals something better! lol
Blairio
BenA718 wrote:
I use a BOSS RT-20 for rotary/Univibe effects. It’s awesome, and with a delay you can get some amazing stereo soundscapes going!

The RT20 is the badger's nadgers - better in IMHO than the CLS222, and I used a CLS222 for years.

The old Alesis Midiverb had a reasonable rotary speaker effect, but the king of Leslie simulators has to be the Neo Instruments 'Ventilator '.

My Nord Electros have excellent Leslie simulators, otherwise I would buy the Neo Ventilator, or the smaller Mini-Vent.

https://www.soundonsound.com/reviews/neo-instruments-ventilator
gruebleengourd
Just the other night I was very impressed with the rotary effect in the yamaha spx 2000. Used prices are quite a bargain.
DiscoDevil
My fave is the rotary effect in my Kurzweil Mangler but for live sets I use the Strymon Mobius.
Lux A Turner
Feinstrom wrote:
There's also that brown plastic Korg rotary sim, I can't recall the name.

The Korg G4.
mousegarden
The thing about the Zoom RFX1100 is it's very unique, it gives me the effect of a very famous artist I liked at the time, and when I play my pieces that use it people always comment on the sound, not necessarily musicians.
Sometimes cheap stuff can yield great results, but, at the time I didn't realise how great it was, typical.
ranix
How do you control the Leslie emulation on your outboard fx units? I haven't seen any MIDI leslie switches, do you just use the mod wheel?

I've been thinking about making one myself since I can't find anything like a MIDI Leslie switch controller. I'm imagining like a half moon switch with a MIDI output and a clamp or something sticky to attach to an arbitrary keyboard.
mousegarden
ranix wrote:
How do you control the Leslie emulation on your outboard fx units? I haven't seen any MIDI leslie switches, do you just use the mod wheel?

I've been thinking about making one myself since I can't find anything like a MIDI Leslie switch controller. I'm imagining like a half moon switch with a MIDI output and a clamp or something sticky to attach to an arbitrary keyboard.

I don't use the speed, top bottom effects, remotely. I just set it and bring it in via a pre-fade send on a mixer channel. I'm not "playing it" like an organ player would. I'll try and post atrack I've done with it on at some point.
Synthbuilder
I've got a CLS22. Very nice effect. I modded mine and swapped the output volume control to a pot that controls the speed (in fast mode) of the virtual rotors. So rather than just switching between two speeds I can select anything from very slow to very fast. The slightly faster than slow setting is rather good as stereo chorus.

I don't use it for organ patches though. I tend to use it with electric piano type sounds.

Tony
ranix
mousegarden wrote:
ranix wrote:

I don't use the speed, top bottom effects, remotely. I just set it and bring it in via a pre-fade send on a mixer channel. I'm not "playing it" like an organ player would. I'll try and post atrack I've done with it on at some point.

sweet thanks that would be cool to hear
whyfarer
DiscoDevil wrote:
My fave is the rotary effect in my Kurzweil Mangler but for live sets I use the Strymon Mobius.

Mangler! I would love one someday....

MPX1 has 6 presets that implement rotary stuff as part of a larger effect if not as a complete effect unto itself. Plus you can always program in something else if you want to learn plumb the depths. Here:

75 Spin + Dlys
This multi-effect combination is a great alternative to
chorus/delay or rotary/delay programs. Detuned echoes
are sent through an auto panner and plate reverb.
A/B glides between fast and slow pan rates. Tap
changes the echo rhythms.

138 Rock Organ
An alternate rotary speaker effect – dark and gritty
you listen carefully, you can even hear the wind no
created by the horn wizzing past the mike. Press A
to switch between fast and slow speeds.

139 OD Rotary
A rotary speaker effect with some built-in overdri
Press A/B to switch between fast and slow speed

140 Rotary Cab
A Leslie speaker with a bit of Chamber to fatten up
sound. MIDI Controller 68 (Legato) is patched to A
for remote fast/slow of the rotating speakers.

144 StereoSpin
A rotary speaker alternative for guitar, keyboard,
vocals. The input is detuned and sent through
crossover. The low and high frequency outputs
routed separately into an auto panner where ste
delay and ambience are added. Press A/B to gl
between slow and fast pan rates.

172 Rotary
Fast speed rotary cabinet
BugBrand
whyfarer wrote:
[MPX1 has 6 presets that implement rotary stuff..

Ah, but Mousey sold his MPX1 to me!
Hainbach
Synthbuilder wrote:
I've got a CLS22. Very nice effect. I modded mine and swapped the output volume control to a pot that controls the speed (in fast mode) of the virtual rotors. So rather than just switching between two speeds I can select anything from very slow to very fast. The slightly faster than slow setting is rather good as stereo chorus.

I don't use it for organ patches though. I tend to use it with electric piano type sounds.

Tony

Yes, Dynacord created the gold standard with the CLS-22/222. I have the 222, which I had been looking for for a long time. I use it on synths and Rhodes, as well as tape.
mousegarden
BugBrand wrote:
whyfarer wrote:
[MPX1 has 6 presets that implement rotary stuff..

Ah, but Mousey sold his MPX1 to me!

No I didn't, I've never owned one!

Dead Banana hmmm..... seriously, i just don't get it hihi

I think I'm going to check out the Yamaha SPX series, I prefer a rack unit, and Yamaha effects have always had something for me, they have an edge.
doombient.music
The CLS-222 probably is the best simulator out there -- I have also got the Digitech RPM-1 which should be quite as nice thanks to its valve pre-amp but, to me, the RPM-1 tends to "rotate" too quickly even when it's set to slow.

The Sony HR-MP5 has a useful Leslie Simulation on board as well.

Stephen
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> General Gear Goto page 1, 2  Next [all]
Page 1 of 2