MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

HEX-01 eurorack cable hanger
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Modular Synth General Discussion Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next [all]
Author HEX-01 eurorack cable hanger
jjmcclear
The Pittsburgh noodles hang fine. I have a lot of those. Are the smaller than that?

chiavere wrote:
Hi -

Are the grooves narrow enough to support smaller-barreled cables like those made by control, black market, etc.?

Thanks!
chachi
i like the design but don’t need a tshirt or sticker.
jjmcclear
You don't have to order a shirt. You can order a hanger without one. The stickers are free. If you don't want it, you can always give it to a kid next door or something. hihi

chachi wrote:
i like the design but don’t need a tshirt or sticker.
chiavere
jjmcclear wrote:
The Pittsburgh noodles hang fine. I have a lot of those. Are the smaller than that?

chiavere wrote:
Hi -

Are the grooves narrow enough to support smaller-barreled cables like those made by control, black market, etc.?

Thanks!

I haven’t used those so I’m not sure - but I would say it’s well worth your while to pick up sample cables from control, black market, and lmntl to test with it, because if you can make a “rack to rule them all” that can handle standard euro, small barrel euro, tiptop stackables and Pomona banana cables, I think they will sell like gangbusters - I would buy two!

Looking forward to seeing this develop, and to supporting your work! nanners
jjmcclear
Thank you for your input!

All slots are approximately 4.788 mm wide. Many eurorack cables run about 3.5mm, but can vary slightly depending on the casing. I would suggest visiting your manufacturer's website, to confirm the width of your cables.
There will be plenty of rewards available that won't include a limited edition t-shirt. No worries! Rockin' Banana! Thanks again!

Kind Regards

Jesse

chiavere wrote:
jjmcclear wrote:

chiavere wrote:
Hi -

Thanks!

I haven’t used those so I’m not sure - but I would say it’s well worth your while to pick up sample cables from control, black market, and lmntl to test with it, because if you can make a “rack to rule them all” that can handle standard euro, small barrel euro, tiptop stackables and Pomona banana cables, I think they will sell like gangbusters - I would buy two!

Looking forward to seeing this develop, and to supporting your work! nanners
chiavere
jjmcclear wrote:

All slots are approximately 4.788 mm wide. Many eurorack cables run about 3.5mm, but can vary slightly depending on the casing. I would suggest visiting your manufacturer's website, to confirm the width of your cables.

Hi - ok, great - 4.788mm should cover all the smaller barreled cables - my Koma kablehanger works with them, and in my unscientific measurement of its slots, it is a little wider than that.
jjmcclear
It's hard to make something that would cover every option, but... if things take off, I might consider a couple versions for larger cables. Including one for the 1/4 inch modular users.

Thanks again for your feedback. nanners

Regards,

Jesse

chiavere wrote:
jjmcclear wrote:

Hi - ok, great - 4.788mm should cover all the smaller barreled cables - my Koma kablehanger works with them, and in my unscientific measurement of its slots, it is a little wider than that.
Plugler
Great idea! I want at least one of these nice pieces too!

Waiting on your Kickstarter campaign...

I will mount it from top, maybe from the ceiling or from the wall or my workshop shelf.

Just yesterday I ordered two of these: https://www.conrad.de/de/voltcraft-ml-1-or-messleitungshalter-ml-1-or- 14-aussparungen-73-x-53-mm-l-x-b-x-h-280-x-85-x-32-mm-schwarz-100821.h tml

They seem to be identical to the Pomona 1508, which are hard to get in Germany.
But your design is much better for my needs.
I wonder why it's so hard to get good cable holders? But soon there will be yours! applause
jjmcclear
Thanks for writing!

You should be able to hang the HEX-01 from the six outer holes. I’d recommend that over hanging it from the center. Unless you’re mounting it with something fixed. At least then it wouldn’t swing, or go off balance when taking cables off of it.

Hoping to have the kickstarter page up very soon! nanners

Kind Regards

Jesse

Plugler wrote:
Great idea! I want at least one of these nice pieces too!

Waiting on your Kickstarter campaign...

I will mount it from top, maybe from the ceiling or from the wall or my workshop shelf.

Just yesterday I ordered two of these: https://www.conrad.de/de/voltcraft-ml-1-or-messleitungshalter-ml-1-or- 14-aussparungen-73-x-53-mm-l-x-b-x-h-280-x-85-x-32-mm-schwarz-100821.h tml

They seem to be identical to the Pomona 1508, which are hard to get in Germany.
But your design is much better for my needs.
I wonder why it's so hard to get good cable holders? But soon there will be yours! applause
Plugler
Thanks!

That design reminds me of a snowflake. hihi
Plugler
JohnLRice wrote:
Also, 4 or 6 eye-bolts could be attached to the outer holes so that it could be hung from the ceiling? Either attaching to two individual ceiling points for stability or I suppose all going to a single point for simplicity? Maybe using "swag hooks" typically used for hanging plants and light fixtures? hmmm.....

Back in the 80's the Macramé plant hanging design was modern. That would fit well with the vintage synthesizers that some wigglers have around.

MY ASS IS BLEEDING

jjmcclear
Me too. I get that a lot. hihi

Plugler wrote:
Thanks!

Franktree
Very cool. Definitely interested.
jjmcclear
I just received the final CAD file, for the hanger. I made some minor adjustments, to make it a bit sturdier. I'll be having four laser-cut steel prototypes made this week. I'll be shipping one off to DivKid Ben for fun little video review. I'll also be creating a proper demonstration video for the Kickstarter page. Other than that, the KS page is pretty much set to go.

soon_come
I want this even more now. Cool CAD drawing, thanks for sharing.
jjmcclear
After a bit of going back and forth on the CAD file... they were finally able to cut some prototypes, today. I'll be cleaning these up and giving them a coat of paint. They don't have the raised center bevel just yet, as the tool and die bit is costly. That will be on the final version if all goes well. we're not worthy

I did bring the slot out just a tad for stability's sake. The 3D resin print was so flimsy, it concerned me. So it may fit a few less cable than before, like 312 vs 360. OF course that will also depend on your cable brand, and their end housings.

The shop sent me this photo
jjmcclear
soon_come wrote:

That CAD file shouldn't have had all those lines. The company that converted the 3D model, for me... didn't set it up correctly. But thankfully we got it sorted out.

should have been like so:

jjmcclear
... or a tie fighter wing. hihi

Plugler wrote:
Thanks!

jjmcclear
I just need to pic up these prototypes, and fix em up for a video shoot. Once that's done I will launch the kickstarter page. Not too much longer. nanners

soon_come wrote:
luchog
jjmcclear wrote:
After a bit of going back and forth on the CAD file... they were finally able to cut some prototypes, today. I'll be cleaning these up and giving them a coat of paint.

Any chance the end product could be powder-coated instead of painted? Just thinking for long-term durability powder-coating tends to be better; but don't know how much that would affect the cost.
jjmcclear
"The final product will be made out of steel, with a black textured powder coat."

Yes, the final product will have a textured black powder-coat. I'm just painting the test prototypes, so that they look nice for the demonstration videos. The final product will be much nicer looking. I just had these four made for testing, before a final production run.

luchog wrote:
jjmcclear wrote:
After a bit of going back and forth on the CAD file... they were finally able to cut some prototypes, today. I'll be cleaning these up and giving them a coat of paint.

Any chance the end product could be powder-coated instead of painted? Just thinking for long-term durability powder-coating tends to be better; but don't know how much that would affect the cost.
jjmcclear
Just received the prototypes! Please excuse the video quality.

Buyakasoundman
These look great. I had an idea of stacking two on the same stand. Top hanger holds the shorties, and a foot lower, that hanger holds the long ones. Now to source a mic stand extension.
I was also thinking of drilling 4 holes around the center mounting hole to secure a raised dish to hold mults and such.
Anyway, can’t wait to back this... the neighbor kid can get his own damn stickers.
jjmcclear
Thank you, I'd really appreciate that! smile

The success of this hanger will help ensure the future of this startup company. I have a number of eurorack related accessories, in the hopper.

Would love to see everyone's photos, once they have their hangers. There's a few social media pages setup for eurodesk-z. Once you get your hanger.. Tag me, and I'll feature your pics!

Thanks again!

https://www.instagram.com/eurodeskz/

https://twitter.com/EurodeskZ

https://p.facebook.com/eurodeskz/

https://www.eurodesk-z.com

Buyakasoundman wrote:
These look great. I had an idea of stacking two on the same stand. Top hanger holds the shorties, and a foot lower, that hanger holds the long ones. Now to source a mic stand extension.
I was also thinking of drilling 4 holes around the center mounting hole to secure a raised dish to hold mults and such.
Anyway, can’t wait to back this... the neighbor kid can get his own damn stickers.
batch
Following, as very interested in 1 or 2 of these. Like the idea of 2 levels.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Modular Synth General Discussion Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next [all]
Page 2 of 8