MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

HEX-01 eurorack cable hanger
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Modular Synth General Discussion  
Author HEX-01 eurorack cable hanger
jjmcclear



Visit www.eurodesk-z.com to place your order!


Order list here: https://www.muffwiggler.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=3059993#3059993


ranix
I'd love one for 1/4" cables. I use something like this now but it's not tall enough. I just zip tied two Pomona cable holders to a mic stand.

joesdeals
I really like that design, I def would buy it

What about 3D printing it
jjmcclear
I just wonder if the material would hold up to the weight etc. I'm waiting to get a price estimate now.

... but if you just can't wait http://shpws.me/QUHS


joesdeals wrote:
I really like that design, I def would buy it

What about 3D printing it
jjmcclear
I'll consider two sizes. smile Thanks!

ranix wrote:
I'd love one for 1/4" cables. I use something like this now but it's not tall enough. I just zip tied two Pomona cable holders to a mic stand.

jjmcclear
Here's a link to 3D print it, for now... http://shpws.me/QUHS
jjmcclear
The 3D printed prototype turned out really nice!

Blairio
I would buy one of these. All you needs is any old standard lamp stand or mic stand, and hey presto.

Have you a price in mind?
mckenic
applause
JohnLRice
Blairio wrote:
I would buy one of these. All you needs is any old standard lamp stand or mic stand, and hey presto.

Have you a price in mind?
Also, 4 or 6 eye-bolts could be attached to the outer holes so that it could be hung from the ceiling? Either attaching to two individual ceiling points for stability or I suppose all going to a single point for simplicity? Maybe using "swag hooks" typically used for hanging plants and light fixtures? hmmm.....
https://www.instructables.com/id/How-to-Hang-a-Plant-From-the-Ceiling/
JohnLRice
Or I suppose a standard ceiling mount microphone flange could be used with a goose neck, since a solid bar might bend, break, or get torn out of the ceiling if bumped into?

jjmcclear
Waiting on the Kickstarter page to be reviewed. Once that's ready, people can begin placing pre orders. thumbs up

Jesse
criticalmonkey
3d print page not working
jjmcclear
criticalmonkey wrote:
3d print page not working


Yeah, I took I down. The resins too fragile, and it’s too expensive.
umma gumma
this is a great design!

I'd be interested in one for 1/4" cables
infradead
kickstarter link yet boss?

these would be boss for live shows
magneteyez
Count me in for 1 OR 2 too. Cable management is a nightmare over here.
Todai
Great design!

I'd consider a request (from the manufacturer) for both steel and aluminium?
Corrupt
Would take one for pomonas (same cable thickness as tiptop stackcables so surely fine?) and one for 1/4 inch cables too! Looking forward to the Kickstarter.
soon_come
I'm into this. SlayerBadger!
pandino
I dig it applause
chiavere
Hi - looks great! Wondering if it can also safely hold euro cables with smaller/narrower barrels like the control cables? Thanks!
jjmcclear
Still working out the details for the kickstarter page. Was hoping to have it up by the end of this week, but... it's looking like it might go into the next. So I'm shooting for the 25th of this month (Feb). smile

I was able to fit 360 tip top stackable cables on the prototype. Pretty awesome.



Working on additional stuff for the kickstarter rewards... t-shirts, and sticker designs.

magneteyez
Nice. Keep up the good work.
chiavere
Hi -

Are the grooves narrow enough to support smaller-barreled cables like those made by control, black market, etc.?

Thanks!
jjmcclear
The Pittsburgh noodles hang fine. I have a lot of those. Are the smaller than that?

chiavere wrote:
Hi -

Are the grooves narrow enough to support smaller-barreled cables like those made by control, black market, etc.?

Thanks!
chachi
i like the design but don’t need a tshirt or sticker.
jjmcclear
You don't have to order a shirt. You can order a hanger without one. The stickers are free. If you don't want it, you can always give it to a kid next door or something. hihi


chachi wrote:
i like the design but don’t need a tshirt or sticker.
chiavere
jjmcclear wrote:
The Pittsburgh noodles hang fine. I have a lot of those. Are the smaller than that?

chiavere wrote:
Hi -

Are the grooves narrow enough to support smaller-barreled cables like those made by control, black market, etc.?

Thanks!


I haven’t used those so I’m not sure - but I would say it’s well worth your while to pick up sample cables from control, black market, and lmntl to test with it, because if you can make a “rack to rule them all” that can handle standard euro, small barrel euro, tiptop stackables and Pomona banana cables, I think they will sell like gangbusters - I would buy two!

Looking forward to seeing this develop, and to supporting your work! nanners
jjmcclear
Thank you for your input!

All slots are approximately 4.788 mm wide. Many eurorack cables run about 3.5mm, but can vary slightly depending on the casing. I would suggest visiting your manufacturer's website, to confirm the width of your cables.
There will be plenty of rewards available that won't include a limited edition t-shirt. No worries! Rockin' Banana! Thanks again!

Kind Regards

Jesse





chiavere wrote:
jjmcclear wrote:
The Pittsburgh noodles hang fine. I have a lot of those. Are the smaller than that?

chiavere wrote:
Hi -

Are the grooves narrow enough to support smaller-barreled cables like those made by control, black market, etc.?

Thanks!


I haven’t used those so I’m not sure - but I would say it’s well worth your while to pick up sample cables from control, black market, and lmntl to test with it, because if you can make a “rack to rule them all” that can handle standard euro, small barrel euro, tiptop stackables and Pomona banana cables, I think they will sell like gangbusters - I would buy two!

Looking forward to seeing this develop, and to supporting your work! nanners
chiavere
jjmcclear wrote:
Thank you for your input!

All slots are approximately 4.788 mm wide. Many eurorack cables run about 3.5mm, but can vary slightly depending on the casing. I would suggest visiting your manufacturer's website, to confirm the width of your cables.






Hi - ok, great - 4.788mm should cover all the smaller barreled cables - my Koma kablehanger works with them, and in my unscientific measurement of its slots, it is a little wider than that.
jjmcclear
It's hard to make something that would cover every option, but... if things take off, I might consider a couple versions for larger cables. Including one for the 1/4 inch modular users.

Thanks again for your feedback. nanners

Regards,

Jesse

chiavere wrote:
jjmcclear wrote:
Thank you for your input!

All slots are approximately 4.788 mm wide. Many eurorack cables run about 3.5mm, but can vary slightly depending on the casing. I would suggest visiting your manufacturer's website, to confirm the width of your cables.






Hi - ok, great - 4.788mm should cover all the smaller barreled cables - my Koma kablehanger works with them, and in my unscientific measurement of its slots, it is a little wider than that.
Plugler
Great idea! I want at least one of these nice pieces too!

Waiting on your Kickstarter campaign...

I will mount it from top, maybe from the ceiling or from the wall or my workshop shelf.

Just yesterday I ordered two of these: https://www.conrad.de/de/voltcraft-ml-1-or-messleitungshalter-ml-1-or- 14-aussparungen-73-x-53-mm-l-x-b-x-h-280-x-85-x-32-mm-schwarz-100821.h tml

They seem to be identical to the Pomona 1508, which are hard to get in Germany.
But your design is much better for my needs.
I wonder why it's so hard to get good cable holders? But soon there will be yours! applause
jjmcclear
Thanks for writing!

You should be able to hang the HEX-01 from the six outer holes. I’d recommend that over hanging it from the center. Unless you’re mounting it with something fixed. At least then it wouldn’t swing, or go off balance when taking cables off of it.

Hoping to have the kickstarter page up very soon! nanners

Kind Regards

Jesse


Plugler wrote:
Great idea! I want at least one of these nice pieces too!

Waiting on your Kickstarter campaign...

I will mount it from top, maybe from the ceiling or from the wall or my workshop shelf.

Just yesterday I ordered two of these: https://www.conrad.de/de/voltcraft-ml-1-or-messleitungshalter-ml-1-or- 14-aussparungen-73-x-53-mm-l-x-b-x-h-280-x-85-x-32-mm-schwarz-100821.h tml

They seem to be identical to the Pomona 1508, which are hard to get in Germany.
But your design is much better for my needs.
I wonder why it's so hard to get good cable holders? But soon there will be yours! applause
Plugler
Thanks!

That design reminds me of a snowflake. hihi
Plugler
JohnLRice wrote:
Also, 4 or 6 eye-bolts could be attached to the outer holes so that it could be hung from the ceiling? Either attaching to two individual ceiling points for stability or I suppose all going to a single point for simplicity? Maybe using "swag hooks" typically used for hanging plants and light fixtures? hmmm.....


Back in the 80's the Macramé plant hanging design was modern. That would fit well with the vintage synthesizers that some wigglers have around.

MY ASS IS BLEEDING

jjmcclear
Me too. I get that a lot. hihi

Plugler wrote:
Thanks!

That design reminds me of a snowflake. hihi
Franktree
Very cool. Definitely interested.
jjmcclear
I just received the final CAD file, for the hanger. I made some minor adjustments, to make it a bit sturdier. I'll be having four laser-cut steel prototypes made this week. I'll be shipping one off to DivKid Ben for fun little video review. I'll also be creating a proper demonstration video for the Kickstarter page. Other than that, the KS page is pretty much set to go.

soon_come
I want this even more now. Cool CAD drawing, thanks for sharing.
jjmcclear
After a bit of going back and forth on the CAD file... they were finally able to cut some prototypes, today. I'll be cleaning these up and giving them a coat of paint. They don't have the raised center bevel just yet, as the tool and die bit is costly. That will be on the final version if all goes well. we're not worthy

I did bring the slot out just a tad for stability's sake. The 3D resin print was so flimsy, it concerned me. So it may fit a few less cable than before, like 312 vs 360. OF course that will also depend on your cable brand, and their end housings.

The shop sent me this photo
jjmcclear
soon_come wrote:
I want this even more now. Cool CAD drawing, thanks for sharing.


That CAD file shouldn't have had all those lines. The company that converted the 3D model, for me... didn't set it up correctly. But thankfully we got it sorted out.

should have been like so:

jjmcclear
... or a tie fighter wing. hihi



Plugler wrote:
Thanks!

That design reminds me of a snowflake. hihi
jjmcclear
I just need to pic up these prototypes, and fix em up for a video shoot. Once that's done I will launch the kickstarter page. Not too much longer. nanners

soon_come wrote:
I want this even more now. Cool CAD drawing, thanks for sharing.
luchog
jjmcclear wrote:
After a bit of going back and forth on the CAD file... they were finally able to cut some prototypes, today. I'll be cleaning these up and giving them a coat of paint.


Any chance the end product could be powder-coated instead of painted? Just thinking for long-term durability powder-coating tends to be better; but don't know how much that would affect the cost.
jjmcclear
"The final product will be made out of steel, with a black textured powder coat."

Yes, the final product will have a textured black powder-coat. I'm just painting the test prototypes, so that they look nice for the demonstration videos. The final product will be much nicer looking. I just had these four made for testing, before a final production run.


luchog wrote:
jjmcclear wrote:
After a bit of going back and forth on the CAD file... they were finally able to cut some prototypes, today. I'll be cleaning these up and giving them a coat of paint.


Any chance the end product could be powder-coated instead of painted? Just thinking for long-term durability powder-coating tends to be better; but don't know how much that would affect the cost.
jjmcclear
Just received the prototypes! Please excuse the video quality.

Buyakasoundman
These look great. I had an idea of stacking two on the same stand. Top hanger holds the shorties, and a foot lower, that hanger holds the long ones. Now to source a mic stand extension.
I was also thinking of drilling 4 holes around the center mounting hole to secure a raised dish to hold mults and such.
Anyway, can’t wait to back this... the neighbor kid can get his own damn stickers.
jjmcclear
Thank you, I'd really appreciate that! smile

The success of this hanger will help ensure the future of this startup company. I have a number of eurorack related accessories, in the hopper.

Would love to see everyone's photos, once they have their hangers. There's a few social media pages setup for eurodesk-z. Once you get your hanger.. Tag me, and I'll feature your pics!

Thanks again!

https://www.instagram.com/eurodeskz/

https://twitter.com/EurodeskZ

https://p.facebook.com/eurodeskz/

https://www.eurodesk-z.com


Buyakasoundman wrote:
These look great. I had an idea of stacking two on the same stand. Top hanger holds the shorties, and a foot lower, that hanger holds the long ones. Now to source a mic stand extension.
I was also thinking of drilling 4 holes around the center mounting hole to secure a raised dish to hold mults and such.
Anyway, can’t wait to back this... the neighbor kid can get his own damn stickers.
batch
Following, as very interested in 1 or 2 of these. Like the idea of 2 levels.
PLNB
Any chances for a mini version for DuPont cables??
DSC
Any chance you might produce other designs? I just built a couple of wall versions. I CNC'd some .060 aluminum, 'broke' it slightly in a press brake and black matte powder coated them and attached to 3/4" Black walnut. I plan on mounting them soon. If people have the wall space these could be handy and made in different colors and wood types.


jjmcclear
I dropped these prototypes off for powder coating, this morning. Should get them back early next week. I wanted to see how they did in the studio first, and shot this quick video. Once I get them back, I'll put together a demonstration video. I'll then be launching the Kickstarter campaign. applause

jjmcclear
Yes, I have these two concepts that I'm working on, so far. Preference?








There's also an optional one, for the desk design as well...




DSC wrote:
Any chance you might produce other designs? I just built a couple of wall versions. I CNC'd some .060 aluminum, 'broke' it slightly in a press brake and black matte powder coated them and attached to 3/4" Black walnut. I plan on mounting them soon. If people have the wall space these could be handy and made in different colors and wood types.
jjmcclear
Hmmm, probably not a huge market for something like that. Maybe I can offer a 3D print version, at some point.

PLNB wrote:
Any chances for a mini version for DuPont cables??
jjmcclear
This first prototype run (in video below), turned out to be the wrong scale. I had a new set cut yesterday. Different manufacturer, much faster, and better quality. When we do the final product, they will be formed with a tool and die. So the bends will be sharper, and the center will be raised.

I was still in the parking lot when I shot this pic. lol hihi



jjmcclear wrote:
Just received the prototypes! Please excuse the video quality.

Buyakasoundman
Those are really looking great! The Ti-Fighter wing is all I see now hihi
Come to think of it; Tie Fighter would be a good name if not already in use;
the cable hanger fights tied up cables.
JohnLRice
jjmcclear wrote:
That's a really cool design! thumbs up Maybe consider making the angled end slots different sizes to accommodate a few larger and maybe smaller cables? Even most eurorack folks might have a couple 1/4" cables for final outputs and possibly a few MIDI cables? And some mobile device headphone and charging cables etc might need a narrower slot then a standard eurorack cable? (not sure, haven't measured)
JohnLRice
Buyakasoundman wrote:
Those are really looking great! The Ti-Fighter wing is all I see now hihi
Come to think of it; Tie Fighter would be a good name if not already in use;
the cable hanger fights tied up cables.
hihi And a potential for an April Fools promotion where it's pictured full of neck ties instead of patch cables? Mr. Green
UltraViolet
I vote for the design with the angle end slots as well. Count me in for one when you launch the kickstarter.
batch
I’m in for Kickstarter
jjmcclear
jjmcclear
JohnLRice wrote:
Buyakasoundman wrote:
Those are really looking great! The Ti-Fighter wing is all I see now hihi
Come to think of it; Tie Fighter would be a good name if not already in use;
the cable hanger fights tied up cables.
hihi And a potential for an April Fools promotion where it's pictured full of neck ties instead of patch cables? Mr. Green


I like it! hihi
jjmcclear
batch wrote:
I’m in for Kickstarter


Thank you! smile
jjmcclear
UltraViolet wrote:
I vote for the design with the angle end slots as well. Count me in for one when you launch the kickstarter.


Awesome, thank you! smile
jjmcclear
JohnLRice wrote:
jjmcclear wrote:
That's a really cool design! thumbs up Maybe consider making the angled end slots different sizes to accommodate a few larger and maybe smaller cables? Even most eurorack folks might have a couple 1/4" cables for final outputs and possibly a few MIDI cables? And some mobile device headphone and charging cables etc might need a narrower slot then a standard eurorack cable? (not sure, haven't measured)



I'll consider that, thanks!
jjmcclear
Buyakasoundman wrote:
Those are really looking great! The Ti-Fighter wing is all I see now hihi
Come to think of it; Tie Fighter would be a good name if not already in use;
the cable hanger fights tied up cables.


I wouldn't want George Lucas coming after me! lol I thought the same though.
batch
These look awesome. Any news on when we can order one? I desperately need one!
jjmcclear
batch wrote:
These look awesome. Any news on when we can order one? I desperately need one!


I'll be wrapping up product photography and video, this weekend. Hoping to launch the Kickstarter, next week. I'll be sure to post the link here, once it goes live.

Thanks for your support! It's very much appreciated!

Jesse
jjmcclear
I'm also considering having some nuts made for the hangers. Most mic stands only come with one nut, as a lock.

jjmcclear
We are live guys!

Check out THE HEX-01 on Kickstarter

DSC
Good Luck thumbs up
sduck
Happy to report that I was backer #1!
Plugler
applause

Backer #5
jjmcclear
jjmcclear
sduck wrote:
Happy to report that I was backer #1!


Haha congrats! hihi applause Thanks man!
UltraViolet
applause applause

Come on everyone, buy one of these!

Backer #4
sduck
I have to say, while I think this is a worthy endeavor, and would like very much to have one, the $13,400 goal is pretty optimistic. I've seen a lot of kickstarters fail because of overly optimistic initial goals. Hope this isn't the case here!
oranginafiend
sduck wrote:
I have to say, while I think this is a worthy endeavor, and would like very much to have one, the $13,400 goal is pretty optimistic. I've seen a lot of kickstarters fail because of overly optimistic initial goals. Hope this isn't the case here!


Yeah. While I'm considering backing, it's probably not going to happen. Only 2786 folks have viewed this thread on muffs. If you were able to somehow miraculously get a 10% sale conversion rate on that view count for the basic tier that actually includes a unit (which is an absolutely unattainable figure), you're still not even at your goal. And sure, muffs and this thread aren't the end-all-be-all of eurorack/modular discussion. But they're pretty close.

Seems highly ambitious to expect $14,000.

Good luck though.
Rex Coil 7
oranginafiend wrote:
sduck wrote:
I have to say, while I think this is a worthy endeavor, and would like very much to have one, the $13,400 goal is pretty optimistic. I've seen a lot of kickstarters fail because of overly optimistic initial goals. Hope this isn't the case here!


Yeah. While I'm considering backing, it's probably not going to happen. Only 2786 folks have viewed this thread on muffs. If you were able to somehow miraculously get a 10% sale conversion rate on that view count for the basic tier that actually includes a unit (which is an absolutely unattainable figure), you're still not even at your goal. And sure, muffs and this thread aren't the end-all-be-all of eurorack/modular discussion. But they're pretty close.

Seems highly ambitious to expect $14,000.

Good luck though.


sduck wrote:
I have to say, while I think this is a worthy endeavor, and would like very much to have one, the $13,400 goal is pretty optimistic. I've seen a lot of kickstarters fail because of overly optimistic initial goals. Hope this isn't the case here!
$13,400 for developing and production of a water jet (or "four laser") cut powder coated plate with a few breaks in it? A properly equipped manufacturing facility should be able to produce 200 of those per hour. At the very least.

I've been involved in manufacturing and design since 1983. I was a paid manufacturing consultant and company manager in that field for over 10 years. While I recognize that I most certainly do not "know everything", I'm not afraid to admit that I do have experience in that field. Ok enough of my background (no one wants to hear that!).

I'm not seeing $13.4k there. Especially with today's CNC driven machinery. It's made of one single component, there are no moving parts, no electrical components, no international approval issues.

I feel Member *sduck has some justifiable concerns. While I wish anyone that wants to succeed all the best, I have my own reservations on this one.

Synthesizers.Com offers a mic stand mounted cable hanger that will accommodate up to 156 1/4" cables. Asking price is $38.00 plus shipping. I wonder how many they've actually moved since the marketing began? (That is a rhetorical question ... food for thought).

One observation; that jam nut has too few threads (at least that is what the rendering depicts). If it is to survive consumer use it will need to be 2x as thick with twice as many threads. Not the thread pitch, mind you ... simply more threads/thicker nut. Among a number of other reasons, it's thin design will result in consumers gouging the hanger plate when tightening the jam nut due to the fact that many folks trust the use of pliers on such things. That said, there is very little for pliers to grab ahold of, which will result in slips and then the pliers will skate across the plate ruining the powdercoated finish. Few modular synth owners have complete socket sets or box end wrench sets (which are the proper tools for that type of fastener).

I've presented my opinions, time to shut my trap. I wish all those involved in this project the best of luck. You never know how some things may go over with the buying public, it may be a smash hit ... but then again ....

confused
UltraViolet
While, like sduck, I might have concerns about reaching the goal, it is really bad to post that here. I hope I am wrong, but it would appear that the group of you may have effectively posted flaming dead bananas.

A rack for 1/4 leads won't hold smaller 1/8 inch leads well if at all. There are a lot of cuts needed to make this so it has to cost more to produce than some generic thing the same size. Considering the uniqueness and quality of the design, the price is reasonable for a small run. It is not just functional. It looks really great too.

There is still plenty of time left and the number of backers is steadily growing. You KNOW you want one. Much cheaper cure for GAS than another module.
jjmcclear
I understand everyone’s concerns on the set fund amount. I’ve crunched the numbers over and over, again and again. I really wanted to get them closer to $30, but unfortunately it just wouldn’t be economically doable.

This might be just a “single piece of metal “ but, consider this... This is almost 12” across. Which is larger than most, has more bends, more slots, holds more cables (360 when I last checked). It has a lot of cuts (takes a bit longer to prototype, time = money) The final product’s center bevel, and bent ends on the prongs... will require a very costly tool and die to be made, so they can do them more rapidly. Then of course the sand blasting and textured powder coating... also not cheap.

Then there’s the factory shipping, which is over $1200 for just 500 units. I then have the shipping supplies (boxes, foam, packaging tape, copy paper, toner) comes to almost $2000. $1000 for a design patent, legal services (didn’t even factor that in the final cost)... lawyers aren’t cheap! lol I’ve spent well over a $1200 on these prototypes, just as promotional examples. Purchased a website domain, paid for hosting, hiring a affordable web developer, a DBA registration for taxes, paid promotional services online (none of which was factored in on the price for these)

I would like to be paid for SOME of my time... design time, administration time, and the product fulfillment time (which I set at a minimal amount to keep costs down). 1000 stickers (that I’m throwing in for free) were almost $400, and again... it does require my time to design them, shop around for the best prices, manage things, etc. (none of this time was included).

I’m also only able to order 500 hangers, which makes them cost more than if I were to do a larger run. It was getting up to $20,000, for a couple thousand (and that’s JUST the manufacturer’s estimate). They do get cheaper the more you order, but $20,000 (or more when you consider the shipping supplies etc) didn’t seem very realistic. I’ve shopped around on pricing, all over the Country and outside. Most of the shops in the states wanted $20 $30 a unit, at cost, for $500 - $2000 units. I did find one in Flint Michigan that would do them for less, but... then there’s the powder coating, which tags on a few more grand.

It’s not easy (or cheap) to start a business, or design a product... I purchased the hardware, 3D software, 2D graphic software... then designing, ordered CAD file conversations, promoting, prototyping, patenting, manufacturing, packaging, with free stickers (again, not all of my expenses were factored in). I’m not jacking the price of these up out of greed or anything. It’s just an expensive process.

I split what I could between 500 units, which I only expect half will sell on kickstarter (if I’m lucky). The other half will either go on the the website for sale, or be sent to retailers at wholesale costs (if the campaign is even successful). Either way, I’m not getting rich. I largely did this because I love electronic music, and like building things that other people might appreciate. Eurorack is a small niche, even for musicians. But I love it.

Again, it may be “just a single piece of metal “ but it takes a lot of time, money, and effort... to create something like this. It doesn’t start and end, all at the shop they’re cut at. I’m on social media sites, Facebook groups, chats, emails, YouTube, Instagram, forums (other than MW)... making phone calls, every day, and night... promoting the hell out of this cable hanger.

I’d really appreciate your support in helping me spread the word. Even if you feel you don’t want one for yourself. I’ve really worked my ass off, because I felt it was something people would want. If you feel you need a better explanation... please feel free to message me. It IS currently 4AM and I’m half awake typing this on my phone, so... I could have left something out. wink

Regards

Jesse
oranginafiend
Not trying to get further into this, but I'm certainly not accusing you of trying to make a huge profit or laughing all the way to bank. I own a small business and know that it's hard to come out where you need to be after expenses. I, and others, are just expressing our concern over the amount you have to generate in a mere 30 days. Were it available for $30-$40 on a website I would probably just jump in and buy one. Again not telling you to ditch the Kickstarter and take out a loan or drop your savings into this hoping it takes off, just expressing concern.

That said, when I get through with work today I'll back it.
w00t
chiavere
Just as a comparison, the synthesizers.com cable holder (which is what I currently use) is $49 shipped in CONUS.

This one is $58 shipped, holds about double the number of cables, and is from a startup, not an established manufacturer like synth dot com - that seems pretty reasonable to me.

I’ve backed it - good luck! nanners
Plugler
chiavere wrote:
Just as a comparison, the synthesizers.com cable holder (which is what I currently use) is $49 shipped in CONUS.

This one is $58 shipped, holds about double the number of cables, and is from a startup, not an established manufacturer like synth dot com - that seems pretty reasonable to me.

I’ve backed it - good luck! nanners


This one here has a much better design compared to that on synthesizers.com. And it's really worth the price. If I had to buy as many normal straight holders for the same amount of cables, I would pay a similar price for all together, but would need more space to mount these holders! confused

That piece on synthesizers.com is simply a doubled normal holder. Not well designed and much overpriced for that simple design. He can only take this high price, because it's no comparable product on the market.

I've backed it too, and wish also good luck!

BTW:
If this holder ever gets distributed via normal synth stores, please distribute it also over an european store (e.g. Schneidersladen). It's very hard to get good holders in Germany. And buying it overseas is no solution.
jjmcclear
The shipping also goes towards the goal. We would need a minimum of 232 hangers ordered. That’s depending on people’s location, and I’m not including the t-shirt orders.... so, could still get there sooner.
DSC
Having had a successful Kickstarter campaign I can also mention the fact that 10% immediately goes to Kickstater and the credit card companies. You know they will get paid. Taking your ideas to market is a learning experience. You end up learning more about business than actually having fun with your product or ideas. Anyone willing to learn is good in my book, good luck to you and all of your supporters!
jjmcclear
[quote="Plugler"]
chiavere wrote:
Just as a comparison, the synthesizers.com cable holder (which is what I currently use) is $49 shipped in CONUS.

BTW:
If this holder ever gets distributed via normal synth stores, please distribute it also over an european store (e.g. Schneidersladen). It's very hard to get good holders in Germany. And buying it overseas is no solution.


Thank you for the support! I have friends in Germany. One recommended his friend's shop... Exploding Shed.
jjmcclear
DSC wrote:
Having had a successful Kickstarter campaign I can also mention the fact that 10% immediately goes to Kickstater and the credit card companies. You know they will get paid. Taking your ideas to market is a learning experience. You end up learning more about business than actually having fun with your product or ideas. Anyone willing to learn is good in my book, good luck to you and all of your supporters!


Yeah KS asks 5%. Then there’s a 3% processing fee.
jjmcclear
oranginafiend wrote:
Not trying to get further into this, but I'm certainly not accusing you of trying to make a huge profit or laughing all the way to bank. I own a small business and know that it's hard to come out where you need to be after expenses. I, and others, are just expressing our concern over the amount you have to generate in a mere 30 days. Were it available for $30-$40 on a website I would probably just jump in and buy one. Again not telling you to ditch the Kickstarter and take out a loan or drop your savings into this hoping it takes off, just expressing concern.

That said, when I get through with work today I'll back it.
w00t


I do understand. And I wasn't trying to be snarky at all... It is a lot, it is optimistic. I have my concerns as well, that it might not succeed. but I don't think posting pessimistic comments about it NOT succeeding... helps anyone. It could even discourage pledges.

I spent a lot of time thinking about the goal amount. I kept trying out a large number of outcomes, numbers etc. I just didn't have any other option right now, unfortunately. And If it doesn't follow through on KS... I'll look at other options. Although, I've tried... It's just hard getting a business loan, having just started out, and not having any actual sales to show.

Realizing that I don't have a brand presence as of yet, and I wanting to be competitive with what's out there... I would have like to offer these at a lower price. But it's not exactly like what's out there.

If things work out, and I'm able to order larger numbers, in the future... I would definitely pass the saving on to my customers.

I do appreciate the feedback and support! smile

Kind Regards

Jesse
jjmcclear
I couldn't remember if I shared these links, but... I have a number of eurodesk-z social media accounts online. If you want more updates?

https://www.instagram.com/eurodeskz/

https://www.facebook.com/eurodeskz

https://twitter.com/EurodeskZ

https://www.eurodesk-z.com

The website is currently being worked on.
sduck
Sorry to stir the pot with my comment, so to speak. Hopefully if falls into the category of "any publicity is good publicity"! As the campaign gets closer to the end, I may have to bump up my pledge, if that helps.
jjmcclear
sduck wrote:
Sorry to stir the pot with my comment, so to speak. Hopefully if falls into the category of "any publicity is good publicity"! As the campaign gets closer to the end, I may have to bump up my pledge, if that helps.


Oh you're fine. I just wanted everyone to understand why the goal was set so high.

Jesse
jjmcclear
A small run of promo stickers came, today. I may do rounded corners on both next time, but... they turned out pretty cool! nanners Even though the colors are a bit off in this photo. lol

jjmcclear
More news,

I've been in touch with some YouTube ninja masters, over the past several weeks... about possibly checking out, and showing some HEX0-01 campaign love. I've shipped out prototypes to DivKid Ben, Mylar Melodies Alex, BoBeats, and Andrew Huang. You guys should have those shortly!

I very much appreciate they're help with spreading the word. Thanks so much guys! applause Links to all their channels, are posted below. Make sure you subscribe, if you haven't already. They have awesome channels, with tons of great demos, and reviews.



DivKid
https://www.youtube.com/DivKidVideo

Mylar Melodies
https://www.youtube.com/mylarmelodies

Andrew Huang
https://www.youtube.com/andrewhuang

BoBeats
https://www.youtube.com/bobeatsmusic


nanners
UltraViolet
Best of luck with the YouTube reviews. Very smart move. There are plenty of potential buyers if you can get the word out to them.
jjmcclear
UltraViolet wrote:
Best of luck with the YouTube reviews. Very smart move. There are plenty of potential buyers if you can get the word out to them.


Thanks. My fingers and toes are crossed! hihi
thx2112
They look awesome. Count me in.

The price is about right. A couple years ago I made a much, much smaller hanger:



They were laser-cut aluminum (a tad more expensive than steel), and the bending/powder-coating was done in-house -- and for a selling price of $15 (what similar items were selling for) it just wasn't worth it unless we made 1000 of them at a time.
jjmcclear
thx2112 wrote:
They look awesome. Count me in.

The price is about right. A couple years ago I made a much, much smaller hanger:

They were laser-cut aluminum (a tad more expensive than steel), and the bending/powder-coating was done in-house -- and for a selling price of $15 (what similar items were selling for) it just wasn't worth it unless we made 1000 of them at a time.


Those look excellent! Really nice quality. I was thinking of doing mine in aluminum at first, but thought steel would be less likely to bend. Plus it costs less. Those look very nice though.
jjmcclear
Yesterday I did a quick test... how many Pittsburg Modular eurorack cables, fit on a single HEX-01 cable hanger...??? pause for dramatic effect... 444 Nazca Audio Noodles! That's a lotta pasta, guys! wink
Plugler
jjmcclear wrote:
Yesterday I did a quick test... how many Pittsburg Modular eurorack cables, fit on a single HEX-01 cable hanger...??? pause for dramatic effect... 444 Nazca Audio Noodles! That's a lotta pasta, guys! wink


thumbs up

300-444 patch cables? That's a lot of

But if someone has lots of HP, it needs lots of patch cables...
Rockin' Banana!
jjmcclear
Was considering a gear giveaway, for a lucky HEX-01 supporter... but apparently it's against the (lottery) law. hmmm.....
jjmcclear
Thanks to DivKid Ben, Alex Mylar Melodies, Andrew Huang, Cuckoo, and BoBeats for their support! Your shares have really helped with the campaign.


jjmcclear
Nine days left!! nanners

batch
So - it’s way off the goal. Wondering what’s going to happen as really want one of these.
jjmcclear
batch wrote:
So - it’s way off the goal. Wondering what’s going to happen as really want one of these.


Try, try again
Modulus
Backed. Had been waiting on this but didn’t even know the Kickstarter started. Hope the word gets out. Would be good to get this posted on matrixsynth.com
sduck
In case anyone needs the link - it's here - https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/jjmcclear/the-hex-01

And jjmcclear, you might want to put that link in your sig
jjmcclear
Modulus wrote:
Backed. Had been waiting on this but didn’t even know the Kickstarter started. Hope the word gets out. Would be good to get this posted on matrixsynth.com


Thanks for the support! Yeah, I don't see anywhere to contact them, unfortunately.
jjmcclear
sduck wrote:
In case anyone needs the link - it's here - https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/jjmcclear/the-hex-01

And jjmcclear, you might want to put that link in your sig


Oh man, yeah. lol Thanks!
electricanada
ranix wrote:
I'd love one for 1/4" cables. I use something like this now but it's not tall enough. I just zip tied two Pomona cable holders to a mic stand.



That looks like a great cat toy.
jjmcclear
7 days left! hyper
Synth Con Meo
electricanada wrote:
Quote:


That looks like a great cat toy.


You mean it isn't? I'll have to break the news to my cats. d'oh!
Corrupt
I really wish this goal had been more realistic.
jjmcclear
Corrupt wrote:
I really wish this goal had been more realistic.


The less you do the more they cost. Even if I did 250 units, I’d be in the red.
jjmcclear
The kickstarter ends this Tuesday! 54 hours to go, as of now.

Jesse
UltraViolet
jjmcclear wrote:
The less you do the more they cost. Even if I did 250 units, I’d be in the red.


Conversely, the less they cost, the more you sell. But, just starting out you are squeezed on both sides. I doubt that you are making much if anything doing small quantities at the current price.
jjmcclear
UltraViolet wrote:
jjmcclear wrote:
The less you do the more they cost. Even if I did 250 units, I’d be in the red.


Conversely, the less they cost, the more you sell. But, just starting out you are squeezed on both sides. I doubt that you are making much if anything doing small quantities at the current price.


Thanks

Also keep in mind... the selling point of this product (aside from it looks cool af) is that these hold a considerable amount more cables (444+ PGH cables, for instance), in comparison to what’s available today.

So it IS a larger piece of steel (and in some cases, thicker), with more cuts. Probably a more expensive tool and die process for the bends/center bevel for the final product... you can’t really compare it to a smaller (or more simplistic) product, and wonder how even just a larger one costs more (unless mine were done in a lesser quality, or with cheaper materials). As much as I would have LOVED for it to be cheaper, I also didn’t want it to be cheaply made.

I could have them done cheaper in China. But that raises some legitimate concerns. Like quality control, not being there to manage it. Shipping a large order of steel parts overseas, is really expensive. And what it they get damaged, or show up looking really crappy? I’d be blindly sending everyone’s pledges to a company that I’ve never been to, or worked with before. It seemed too risky. Plus I’d rather support the local economy if possible.

The only other way that I see, is to produce thousands of these things. So the expenses are divided even further. I think it would be a very similar crowdfunding outcome though... I would have a less expensive product, and possibly more pledges... but then the goal would probably need to be set even higher, in order to cover the costs of manufacturing thousands more. That didn’t seem very realistic either, so... I had to choose the lesser of two evils.

Don’t worry, man... If this crowdfunding approach doesn’t work, I’ll find another way. I won’t give up THAT easily. wink

Jesse
base615
Awesome, exactly what I'm looking for. Backed with 43 hours to go.

thumbs up
base615
Damn, just noticed this probably won’t hit its target and get funded. That would suck big time. I’ve been searching for something just like this :(
jjmcclear
base615 wrote:
Damn, just noticed this probably won’t hit its target and get funded. That would suck big time. I’ve been searching for something just like this :(


If it doesn't, I'll figure out another way. wink

Jesse
jjmcclear
base615 wrote:
Awesome, exactly what I'm looking for. Backed with 43 hours to go.

thumbs up


Thank you thank you! applause

Jesse
jjmcclear
Only 35 hours let of the Kickstarter campaign
jjmcclear
Ends today!

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/jjmcclear/the-hex-01
base615
Truly a bummer this didn't get funded.
UltraViolet
base615 wrote:
Truly a bummer this didn't get funded.

I agree.
batch
Very sad.

No way to do a smaller run? I would pay more. I really want one!
Franktree
batch wrote:
Very sad.

No way to do a smaller run? I would pay more. I really want one!


Agreed!
jjmcclear
Hey, guys

Yeah, unfortunately we didn't meet the goal. That doesn't mean it won't happen though.

I'm considering some other options. I don't think a smaller run would really work, as the amount raised wouldn't even cover half of what I proposed get manufactured...and at 250 units, I'd be well in the red (See the figures below). Whatever number you actually order to be made... you still have to pay thousands to have the tool and dye setup. So just ONE hanger would potentially cost a few thousand dollars to be made. I've spent about $2000 just on the design patent, and prototypes being made (3-4 rounds of prototypes).

So the higher the number manufactured, the cheaper they get per unit... but I didn't think I could get a few thousand hangers funded. But like I said, I'm looking into other options. I'll keep everyone posted. One thing about Kickstarter that I don't like, is that everyone's shipping also goes toward your set funding goal... so you actually have even less to work with, on the manufacturing costs. Half the funding could be shipping, and I would be that much more in the red. I don't get that, but whatever's. lol

On a side note... Tiptop Audio has contacted me about featuring a HEX-01 at Superbooth 2019, next Month in Berlin. Adam and Our have been incredibly supportive on this project. smile

Kind Regards,

Jesse

batch
Appreciate your transparency.

Seems like a price of $85 would allow you to break eve at 125 units sold.

I would pay that.
Plugler
batch wrote:
Appreciate your transparency.

Seems like a price of $85 would allow you to break eve at 125 units sold.

I would pay that.


Mee to!

It's worth this price. Compared to other products, currently available on the marked. There is no cable hanger available with this large capacity. If I want to build a hanger with a similar capacity, I would have to buy 4 normal cable hangers. That would cost ~ 4 x 25 Euro plus time to mount it on a plate. And the final work would not be as nice as your product!

My oppinion: take a higher price. You have no competitor. Your potential customers are mostly owners of modular synths. With many modules (otherwise they wouldn't need this large cable hanger). These kind of customers is willing AND able to pay a price of 80-100 Euro for a product like this.
jjmcclear
I probably won’t change the price, but... I’ll continue to work hard at getting them manufactured somehow. A few things are being considered... like possibly removing the center bevel, to cut cost on the tool and dye. I really don’t like the idea of doing them in plastic, but... it WOULD be cheaper. Not in love with that idea though. A license deal COULD also be an option, but... we’ll see. Not giving up yet. wink

I don’t think some people realize how large this hanger really is, compared to others available today. I really love the prototype that I have. Being able to separate and organize cables based of their brand, length, color etc. ... is quite nice.




Spotted a HEX-01 cable hanger prototype, in one of Bobeats videos, the other day.

jjmcclear
batch wrote:
Appreciate your transparency.

Seems like a price of $85 would allow you to break eve at 125 units sold.

I would pay that.


I realize those numbers are very general, and they can vary based on quantities etc, but... it gives you a general picture, and I just wanted to be as transparent as possible with you guys. There’s really not much wiggle room on price. I always figured I wouldn’t see any return on investment, until the second or third batch were sold.

I can’t really see charging a lot more than $45-$50... I think I’d run into the same issue, again. With even less people buying them, at a higher cost. I’d personally pay $60 or more, but... yeah. Appreciate the support.
jjmcclear
Plugler wrote:
batch wrote:
Appreciate your transparency.

Seems like a price of $85 would allow you to break eve at 125 units sold.

I would pay that.


Mee to!

It's worth this price. Compared to other products, currently available on the marked. There is no cable hanger available with this large capacity. If I want to build a hanger with a similar capacity, I would have to buy 4 normal cable hangers. That would cost ~ 4 x 25 Euro plus time to mount it on a plate. And the final work would not be as nice as your product!

My oppinion: take a higher price. You have no competitor. Your potential customers are mostly owners of modular synths. With many modules (otherwise they wouldn't need this large cable hanger). These kind of customers is willing AND able to pay a price of 80-100 Euro for a product like this.


That was my feeling, but... people were still complaining about the price, even though it holds hundreds more than anything else out there. Like I said, I fit 444 PHG Nazca Noodles on mine. lol you’d have to buy 3-5 standard hangers (totaling much more than $45) to get that much storage, but... whatever’s lol smile
batch
Any updates? I’d happily buy one of your prototypes.
jjmcclear
batch wrote:
Any updates? I’d happily buy one of your prototypes.


Hey, bud!

Sorry for the delay. A lot of personal stuff's been going on since the Kickstarter ended. I've been dealing with a lot of chronic health stuff, and they let me go at work, so... been making a lot of adjustments lately.

Anyhow, I am all out of the finished prototypes. I just shipped the last one to Tiptop Audio, for their Superbooth display. The prototypes run about $65 each, though... that includes the cost of materials, laster-cutting, bending, powder-coat, driving around the state (to pick them up here and there), plus shipping.

If that sounds fair, maybe I could do a short run of six?? Being unemployed 'n' all, I don't have much extra cash to front the money, but... I'm sure I could make it work.

On the side, I've been doing some motion design work for a new Mau5trap artist. If anyone is in need of some motion design/video work...? Let me know. I'll post some of my corporate work below. Doing music related stuff for Mau5trap is a welcome change of pace. lol wink

kind Regards,

Jesse







.
batch
I would happily take one off your hands for $65 + shipping.

Anyone else?
electricanada
I’m in.
jjmcclear
batch wrote:
I would happily take one off your hands for $65 + shipping.

Anyone else?


Well, $65 would include shipping (within the US). Probably an additional $10 or so, for international... it's typically $40-$50 to ship overseas. Maybe I should just do a FS/US: listing? Not sure what the rule is on here?

Jesse
mookmoof
$65? Me too
Matos
Me three!
batch
So that’s 4 confirmed. I think FS/US is fine and would guess you will get more interest.

Would suggest we PayPal you the money in advance, then you can build to order.
evileye0702
I'd be willing to pay more so you could actually make a profit so I'm in for one
batch
As would I
jjmcclear
I'll just order ten for now, and post them for sale in the sale/trade area, on here. I'll post an update here. Thanks, guys!

Jess
JohnLRice
jjmcclear, have you tried contacting some of the larger dealers like NoiseBug, AnalogHaven, etc, etc to see if they'd be interested in buying a quantity? Maybe if you can get a commitment from enough dealers for 5 or 10 units you could justify a run of 100 or so to get your production costs down? Best of luck! thumbs up Great work on the videos too! SlayerBadger!
jjmcclear
JohnLRice wrote:
jjmcclear, have you tried contacting some of the larger dealers like NoiseBug, AnalogHaven, etc, etc to see if they'd be interested in buying a quantity? Maybe if you can get a commitment from enough dealers for 5 or 10 units you could justify a run of 100 or so to get your production costs down? Best of luck! thumbs up Great work on the videos too! SlayerBadger!


Yes,

I initially emailed every eurorack shop (across the globe), I could find on here... Many of them responded, saying they would happily carry them, once available...

However, you typically have to offer them at wholesale cost, and then the global shipping can be rather expensive so... you really take a hit making t worth everyone's while. So it's gets a bit tricky at smaller quantities, to make it work.

And seeing I'm unemployed, well... lol
Plugler
I also want one. I'm willing to pay up to 100 USD plus shipping!
And I will pay in advance.

But: I live in Germany. hmmm.....

How much is shipping to Germany?
electricanada
jjmcclear wrote:
I'll just order ten for now, and post them for sale in the sale/trade area, on here. I'll post an update here. Thanks, guys!

Jess


Looking forward to it. Feel free to PM me when it's ready to ship!
Buyakasoundman
I’ll definitely take one of orders are still open.
chiavere
I’d be happy to pick one up (I supported the KS too), and even would prepay if it would help you out - I dig this design and how much it holds!
batch
Have pm’d you
SonicVoltage
How did I miss this thread? Hi, if u are still taking orders I'll be happy to buy one + shipping to UK. I surely need one and it will make things look tidier in my new bunch of videos!

I hope things are going better with work and in general as well. Keep it up.
jjmcclear
Hey kids

Waiting to hear back from the manufacturing place on the cost of doing a dozen or so prototypes. Hoping to have a batch with in the next week. I'll probably just put a "for sale" thread up when I have the, I'll keep you posted.

Really appreciate the support!

Kind Regards,

Jesse

P.S. Tiptop Audio will have a HEX-01 on display at Superbooth, for anyone attending. Be sure to express your interest to them. Might help me in getting these things made. wink



.
flippantminister
I supported the KS as well, and am looking forward to one of the small run!
SonicVoltage
jjmcclear wrote:
Hey kids

Waiting to hear back from the manufacturing place on the cost of doing a dozen or so prototypes. Hoping to have a batch with in the next week. I'll probably just put a "for sale" thread up when I have the, I'll keep you posted.

Really appreciate the support!

Kind Regards,

Jesse

P.S. Tiptop Audio will have a HEX-01 on display at Superbooth, for anyone attending. Be sure to express your interest to them. Might help me in getting these things made. wink
.


Hey young man smile
It is possible, a bunch of us are willing to pay upfront, this may make it easier and safer for u to order production of this batch (or bigger batch) ?
the.hilander
I'll buy one of the prototypes too. I'm in the US and can prepay.
evileye0702
It's obvious to me there are going to be more buyers than product if you are only go to make about a dozen.
jjmcclear
Picked up ten hangers from the metal shop today, and dropped them off at the powder coating place. Should have those next week. I have an additional ten being cut next week as well, so... I’ll have twenty hanger prototypes available.

Maybe if I get enough going, I can pay for the tool and dye stuff, out of pocket. We’ll see. The prototypes look pretty sharp though.

jjmcclear
In other news. I’ve spotted the cable hanger in some Superbooth videos. Tip-top Audio sent me these photos today.



SonicVoltage
thumbs up
jjmcclear
Hey guys!

I started a sale list/thread type deal. wink

Jesse

Order list here: https://www.muffwiggler.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=3059993#3059993


bentoncbainbridge
My Hex-01 is compatible with my super-thin patch cables! thanks, Jesse!

http://twitter.com/bentoncbainbrid/status/1132839380031287297
jjmcclear
bentoncbainbridge wrote:
My Hex-01 is compatible with my super-thin patch cables! thanks, Jesse!

http://twitter.com/bentoncbainbrid/status/1132839380031287297


Yes, should work fine. If not, you could always return it. cool
jjmcclear
So, as I mentioned in the sale thread... Martin Gore (Depeche Mode) ordered a HEX-01 yesterday!! lol Craziness!

I’m also working on a quarter inch version, today. I’ve had a few requests.

And you can now place pre orders on www.eurodesk-z.com

Jesse



SonicVoltage
Silly Royal Mail in UK...
it's fine to pay VAT of course, but their handling charge is silly bringing their import charges to around $25... (over $10 is handling charges, which considering shipping has already been paid for delivery to my door... it's a bit silly, handling charge should be smaller for smaller items/smaller values)

Even more messed up is the fact I tried to pay this charge via VISA and Pay Pal and their payment system failed so I can't even pay (error on their side not mine, indeed I paid Royal Mail on other parcels a couple of weeks ago and it was fine... also Pay Pal and HSBC both accepted this transaction but Royal Mail system had an error... so I can't even get it delivered for now... how bad is Royal Mail? smile

Never had this type of problems with UPS, oh well ... will get it delieverd at one point...

NOTE: this has nothing to do with jjmcclear
It's just Royal Mail being broken smile
batch
Jesse - just wanted to say thanks. My Hex arrived a week or so back, have got it fully loaded and it fits all my cables perfectly with a little room to spare.

My wife is also thankful as this enabled me to consolidate a big mess I had.

So big thanks - the Hex is perfect. Really appreciate you making it possible and wish you the best with more sales!
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Modular Synth General Discussion  
Page 1 of 7
Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group