MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Using guitar pedals with eurorack modules.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules Goto page 1, 2  Next [all]
Author Using guitar pedals with eurorack modules.
joesdeals
How many of you use guitar pedals with your eurorack modules as post processing or even using the guitar pedals before and feed in the signal into your eurorack.

I don't really see this happening in many videos on youtube.

Just wondering what your guys thoughts are on this. Thanks.
exper
I rely pretty heavily on a Strymon El Capistan connected to an Intellijel Pedal IO 1u module. Also have a boss phaser and eq in the chain. Thinking about adding some more pedals as they can be a pretty inexpensive source for fx if you don’t need CV control.
medium Rob
I sometimes have an El Capistan connected to the aux send / return jacks on my mixer - the same mixer used for my modular VCA outputs. the aux output (in this case) is quite a bit louder than the regular volume pots on my mixer- i'm wondering if this could damage the pedal. an alternative would be to attenuate the voice modules, and route the attenuator (Triatt etc.) direct to the pedal, or to a VCA first.
selfdestroyer
I use tons of outboard effects from pedals to rack gear. I have a DIY CGS60 I use mostly but I think I am going to upgrade this next month to the ALM Busy Circuits S.B.G. I am really wanting to use the expression to CV on my Strymon stuff more and I think the S.B.G. would be a nice update.

Recently I ran a pad I made with MI Elements into a Boss HM-2 and it was simply awesome sounding. Added a great "wall of sound" to the pad.

Here you can hear it dry then wet with the HM-2 clone I made:
https://www.instagram.com/p/BnSidQDFt11/?utm_source=ig_web_button_shar e_sheet

Here I just left it on and dialed back some of the 808's:
https://www.instagram.com/p/BnSmEt2l3iE/?utm_source=ig_web_button_shar e_sheet

Externally I use my Space Echo Re-201 and my Strymon Big Sky more than anything else.
MindMachine
Before or after is fine, but in-between is also good. I use three Malekko SND/RTN modules to incorporate pedals into patches:

analog and digital delays, Red Panda Particle, EH Graphic Fuzz, Boss HF-2, Montreal Assy CT5, etc.

Distortion type pedals can do cool things to raw waveforms sometimes before you filter them or whatever (Grunge, Rat, etc.).

I highly recommend the Malekko SND/RTN.
Mirrorad
I use the ADDAC200PI Pedal Integrator to integrate my guitar pedal collection. It works great, and allows me to send and return the signals so I can still end the audio chain in Euro.
moremagic
the ptg is handy for send/return, i like to bring in the mf-101 when i need a ladder and my head rush 2 when its time to loop
Multiverse_Eros
I have a side-board that I thought I'd use more but really, I keep them as separate entities and keep my board for my guitar. I do run my rig through a guitar rig if that counts? (Sunn Concert Lead through a 2x12 with EVM12Ls)

A while ago I ran my Elements into the Dwarfcraft Eau Claire Thunder and was really happy with what came out of it.

It's definitely a thing people do and has worthwhile results. I came from Euro after having a gigantic pedalboard and the biggest appeal was how compact and easy Euro rigs are comparatively so I strive to cut pedals out of the equation when possible
joesdeals
I see it's a lot more common than I thought.

Thanks for the replies, I am going to try using my Eventide Time lapse and H9 max with my rig tomorrow.
oneunkind
pedal and rack delays generally sound 'better' than euro. companders, designed as effects not just chip in/outs? ig...

reverb.

ehx ringthing. ehx mellotron pedal.
hippasus
What I have been searching for is a module that will have 9v output (preferably connected to the -12v rail) to reduce power connections at the performance table. Befaco has one PSU with usb and 9v but I don't need the full PSU, just accessing a 9v since I use one or maximum two pedals at the time.
Do you guys have seen something like that?
Anechoic
hippasus wrote:
What I have been searching for is a module that will have 9v output (preferably connected to the -12v rail) to reduce power connections at the performance table. Befaco has one PSU with usb and 9v but I don't need the full PSU, just accessing a 9v since I use one or maximum two pedals at the time.
Do you guys have seen something like that?

The Synthrotek Power Pak takes the power in your Eurorack case, and converts it to +9V and +12v, and +5V.

Power Pak
Fallen_lassen
The output goes through some Boss reverbs and delays.
For experiments ive got a collection of 74 Boss pedals.
Boss was my first modular format.
dubonaire
I use Strymon El Capistan and Big Sky, Eventide H9, and Boss DM-2 on my synths and Eurorack.
joesdeals
dubonaire wrote:
I use Strymon El Capistan and Big Sky, Eventide H9, and Boss DM-2 on my synths and Eurorack.

Have you used Eventide Space? Wondering how that stakes up to the Big Sky
Oscillator
6 Strymon pedals. It's the main reason I got their AA1 module.
Yes Powder
The pedals I use most is a Montreal Assembly Goodbye24, MXR Carbon Copy delay, Boss PS2, and an IdiotBox Dark Waves chorus. I have a bunch of dist/fux/od pedals, but have never really tried using them with my modular. I'm sure my SuperFuzz would do some cool things with the right tweaking though...
I always attenuate signals going out of my modular into pedals, and in coming back in I use one channel of a Metasonix R57 to bring it back up to modular level.
Sallad
I pretty much only use pedals for fx. Some of them (like for example strymon deco) also have cv-inputs that are great to modulate with euro. Before I used Bastl Hendrikson for integration and that worked great but now I have expanded so using a nw2s::io so that I can send 8 signals out and receive 8 signals in wink
lorez
I've been looking at the ALM SBG to run my rack through some of my pedals mid patch instead of running the rack through the pedal chain before recording/amp. Are there any other similar modules to the SBG? It looks a great utility for the price
Parnelli
I have both the Retro Mechanical Labs GPI and a Strymon AA1. I was headed that route and picked up a Boss DD7 for FX. After working with some real Euro FX with CV control I decided not to go any further in that direction. I have thought about integrating the DD7 with an interface that would allow me to use the expression pedal input with the modular.

Maybe after I retire...
Sallad
lorez wrote:
I've been looking at the ALM SBG to run my rack through some of my pedals mid patch instead of running the rack through the pedal chain before recording/amp. Are there any other similar modules to the SBG? It looks a great utility for the price

There are quite a few modules that work well for integrating audio to/from pedals but I have not seen any other than this that does control voltage conversion. The pedals I have used do not need conversion though but if I get one that does this would certainly be my choice. Thanks for posting!
Sallad
lorez wrote:

There are quite a few modules that work well for integrating audio to/from pedals but I have not seen any other than this that does control voltage conversion. The pedals I have used do not need conversion though but if I get one that does this would certainly be my choice. Thanks for posting!
All of my effects are from pedals. I run them in the signal chain from my rack before hitting my mixer. Dedicated effect modules are cool in the rack because you can use CV for parameters, but that is the only draw really. Pedals are cheaper, have more options for sound control, and there are a huge variety of them to choose from. You can still tweak the knobs in a live setting manually, and they don't take up precious rack space.

I looked at filling up a mantis case strictly with effects, but for the cost, you could get a whole table full of pedals and still have money left over, and the pedals would give you a much greater capacity for sound design. As nice as CV would be, it just wasn't worth the cost for me. I don't have a tone of expendable income. seriously, i just don't get it
mdoudoroff
Oscillator wrote:
6 Strymon pedals. It's the main reason I got their AA1 module.

Does it come with a fancy splitter cable to merge two mono 1/4" to one stereo 1/4"?
abelovesfun
I use tons of pedals. In January my AI006 comes out, which is a cheap, 2HP impedance matcher that allows me to get more depth out of my pedals than when I go direct. I'm pretty excited about it.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules Goto page 1, 2  Next [all]
Page 1 of 2