MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

EHX Sovtek Deluxe Big Muff Pi - RUSSIAN COLLUSION!
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Guitars, Basses, Amps & FX Goto page 1, 2  Next [all]
Author EHX Sovtek Deluxe Big Muff Pi - RUSSIAN COLLUSION!
Rex Coil 7
ELECTRO HARMONIX HAS COLLUDED WITH THE RUSSIANS !!! lol

The Russians are coming, the Russians are coming!

No witch hunt here ... this is the real deal without having to have a special council to find it! As a show of gratitude by the Rooskies for selling them 20% of our weapons grade uranium in 2010 as part of the "Uranium One deal" they've sent over some of their crappy transistors so EHX could build us these insanely bitchin fuzz pedals ... rumor has it that the transistors are surplus parts from some of their old Cold War era Sukhoi SU-25 jets and Viet Nam War era MiG 25 fighter jets.

(everything above this sentence is 100% weapons grade bullshit, just in case anyone thought I was being serious --- it's merely humor)

Electro Harmonix has combined the GREEN RUSSIAN BIG MUFF PI with the DELUXE BIG MUFF PI and born of this effort comes the SOVTEK DELUXE BIG MUFF PI !!!

GREEN RUSSIAN ($80.00) = https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/RussianBigMuff--electro-harmon ix-green-russian-big-muff-pi-fuzz-pedal

DELUXE BIG MUFF PI ($120.00) =
https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/DlxBigMuffPi--electro-harmonix -deluxe-big-muff-pi-fuzz-pedal-with-mid-shift

SOVTEK DELUXE BIG MUFF PI ($149.00) = https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/SovDlxBigMuff--electro-harmoni x-sovtek-deluxe-big-muff-pi-fuzz-pedal-with-mid-shift

Here's a "wideo" just posted yesterday ... this new Sovtek Deluxe Big Muff Pi is fekking BEAST ASS!!

So if you have the Deluxe Big Muff Pi you end up with a standard ~Muff~ with the ability to engage a special midrange control feature. The midrange feature may be dialed out which turns it into a standard ~Muff~.

If you have the Sovtek Deluxe Big Muff Pi you end up with a ~Green Russian Muff~ with the ability to engage a special midrange control feature. The midrange feature may be dialed out which turns it into a ~Green Russian Muff~.

Collect both the Sovtek Deluxe and the Deluxe and you end up with essentially FOUR Big Muff Pi pedals. I know precisely what I'm asking for Christmas! BOTH!

** Standard Big Muff Pi.
** Deluxe Big Muff Pi.
** Green Russian Big Muff Pi.
** Sovtek Deluxe Big Muff Pi.

Rockin' balls!

cookie?!?
Fallen_lassen
I want a ehx big muff rams head hihi
Rex Coil 7
Fallen_lassen wrote:
... get out that BIG credit card!
Fallen_lassen
Waiting for the inevitable reissue thumbs up
Rex Coil 7
Fallen_lassen wrote:

Rex Coil 7 wrote:
... get out that BIG credit card!

Fallen_lassen wrote:
That would be scrutinized from here to hell by every cork sniffin' "expert" and overly picky collector that I'm not sure Mike would want to even take a swing at it. It would sell very well at first, but as the comparison videos and the internet reviews began boiling over with criticism of how it doesn't sound "anything like my Ram's Head that I've owned since 1974 when I was playing in rock bands all over New England and L.A. at 14 years old" ...

meh

... then the "new kid in town" infatuation may fizzle out. I'm not sure Mike wants to put himself through that.

Besides, they are killing it with all of the new whacky cracky super psycho units they've been putting out over the last several years. Why mess up a good thing with an attempt to please the the collectors and "analog only!" crew with something that is certain to meet with criticism? The people that have paid BIG ASS BUCKS for a vintage Ram's Head would really push back on it as well.

Movin' on ....

BASS MUFF Pi YO!

This ~Bass~ version is the duck's nuts! Many guitar players have no idea how difficult (and how much gear it took) to create the Geddy Lee style bass sound that he used in the entire first decade of Rush albums. From their first album all the way up to "Moving Pictures" (the one with "Tom Sawyer") Geddy used three different basses ... a teardrop shaped P-bass, the Ricky 4001, and his pawn shop Jazz bass. The amount of processing that was used to create the venerable "rock bass"was just crazy. Bi-amping, compression, EQs, bla bla bla.

Same goes for John Entwistle of The Who. He used a guitar combo amp stacked on top of his bass cabinet and a pair of super custom preamps, along with a mega-tricked out bass with all of these mini toggles. The audio cable for that bass had something like EIGHT conductors, and the connector was a multi-pin Amphenol.

Today, all of that effort by guys like John Entwistle, Geddy Lee, John Wetton (of the band "UK"), Dave Hope (early Kansas), and a large number of other bass players has been reduced down to the salt. Between what the likes of Electro Harmonix and Tech 21 have created, that particular type of bass guitar sound has become FAR simpler to achieve. I can only imagine Geddy Lee seeing/hearing this Deluxe Bass Big Muff Pi ... jumping to his feet and exclaiming out loud ....

"NO WAY!! DO YOU HAVE ANY IDEA WHAT I WENT THROUGH TO MAKE THAT SOUND BACK THEN? ... WOW! ... ARE YOU HEARING THAT? ... ONE BOX? ... SERIOUSLY?"

lol

Take a listen ....

*SYNTHEFUZZERS: Not only am I thrilled about the prospect of using these fuzz/distortion units with my guitars/slide guitars/bass guitars ... but I'm super (duper!) excited about the idea of using them with my modular performance synth. It's more than just turning them on and playing ... these ~Deluxe~ Big Muffs are very ... how shall I say ... playable? There's real time expression possibilities goin' on here. Kept close by, the player could easily use the controls to change the sounds while playing the keyboard or fiddlin' with the sequencer.

So there's the three ~Deluxe~ models now ... and here's a video with the *not bass ... *not Russian ... Deluxe Big Muff Pi being used with synthesizer....

I've left a sticky-note on the bathroom mirror with all three of the Deluxe Muff Pi stompies listed on it in hopes that Santa will see the note ... when my wife (aka "Santa") is at the bathroom sink ... ahem ... that is. In all the years I've played guitar/bass/organ/synth I only owned one fuzz circuit (Joe Bonamassa version of the Fuzz Face). I've always used ~distortion~ circuits. So these three Big Muffages will be pretty much all I need to compliment the Joe Bonamassa Fuzz Face.

DELUXE BIG MUFF PI ... GIT SOME!

cookie?!?

* (the name of a fuzz circuit and processor I cooked up for synth use back when I made stuff like this for a living)

hihi
PrimateSynthesis
Fallen_lassen wrote:

I'd be shocked if there weren't several different people selling PCB's, kits, and assembled clones.
Rex Coil 7
PrimateSynthesis wrote:
Fallen_lassen wrote:

I'd be shocked if there weren't several different people selling PCB's, kits, and assembled clones.
I agree!
sduck
I have an original plain jane big muff pi, the kind in the huge case, with like 39 cents of parts inside. It sounds fantastic. The new versions of these sound identical. I've also had a ton of the variations and spin offs and such, but all of them have gone away because they're just not as good. Including one of the old original green russian ones - I never saw what people liked about them.

A fairly new toy here is the JHS muffaletta - something like 8 version of the muff pedal in one box. It's kind of fun, although none of them really sound right, and the guy couldn't get the tone knob right on any of them.
Fallen_lassen
Rams head is the only one not reissued by ehx. I think. So it will be done.
And no i don’t want one from ehx nor a clone.
I have a Boss fz-2 and 3 for fuzz.
Rex Coil 7
sduck wrote:
I have an original plain jane big muff pi, the kind in the huge case, with like 39 cents of parts inside. It sounds fantastic. The new versions of these sound identical. I've also had a ton of the variations and spin offs and such, but all of them have gone away because they're just not as good. Including one of the old original green russian ones - I never saw what people liked about them.

A fairly new toy here is the JHS muffaletta - something like 8 version of the muff pedal in one box. It's kind of fun, although none of them really sound right, and the guy couldn't get the tone knob right on any of them.
There are a number of DIY resources out there, there have been a number of people try to use pretty much ALL of the various versions and modifications to create these "fuzz labs" that use a bunch of switches to change resistor values in certain parts of the circuit. So these "labs" have a lot of toggles and pots on them. The pots replace trimmers, and in many cases the pots replace fixed resistors. So you might have a Big Muff "lab" that is sixteen inches long by eight inches wide, utterly slathered with pots and toggles ... and one little bitty "core PCB" inside. Sortof the same way I did the MODULA1, but an extension of that method. I think using some of those "pin matrix" panels could be used to create a fuzz system that would permit the use of many (many!) of the published options.

I've thought (and thought ... and thought .. and REthought) about using some form of the MODULA1 system along with the Tone Plug designs in tandem to create the fuzz lab thing. Knowing what I've learned about modular synths over the years of being around you guys here in Miffwugglers, I think a full-on modular synth type of design could be used to create a "fuzz lab" of sorts. Maybe allow yourself 3U or even 6U x 84hp of Euro panels to house the beast. Bus bar power distribution, the whole works. Place the foundation circuits on modules (Fuzz Face, Muff, Tone Bender, etc..), then using patch cables "wire up" whatever fuzz circuit you can conjure. Have entire panels with different resistors or pots that you could "patch in" to create the "circuit mods" you want. If you look at any (let's say) Fuzz Face kit ... for instance General Guitar Gadgets by J.D. Sleep ... there are at least SIX variants of the Dallas Arbiter Fuzz Face design offered. So build up modules with all of these resistors, caps, etc.. that you can patch together using patch cables to "build" whichever incarnation or the Fuzz Face you want. Something like that would be one hell of a studio fuzz. The circuit board "module" would have jacks labeled "1" and "2" (etc) so you would know you could only patch components on other panels with the same number on them to help prevent goofs.

You could even design-in "insert points" within the circuit to place various types of filters/EQs in strategically located points in the main circuit. You might even be able to do some weirdness with envelope followers to make the circuit react to dynamics in different ways.

It's just a thought. But it's a good one ... and you know it is! Mr. Green

Fallen_lassen wrote:
Hold up ... so you want a Rams Head Big Muff Pi .... but you don't want it made by Electro Harmonix or a clone ... that doesn't make sense. It either must be made by EHX or by someone else ... or it doesn't get made. I'm sorry, I don't understand your post.

seriously, i just don't get it
PapaLazarou
I've got an old deluxe muff from the 70s, the compressor side doesn't work....anyone know a tech that might wanna take a stab at this?

In the meantime I'll be grabbing a sovtek deluxe it looks like Miley Cyrus
Rex Coil 7
PapaLazarou wrote:
I've got an old deluxe muff from the 70s, the compressor side doesn't work....anyone know a tech that might wanna take a stab at this?
I got nuthin' .. apologies.

PapaLazarou wrote:
In the meantime I'll be grabbing a sovtek deluxe it looks like Miley Cyrus
... yea buddy!

hihi
Fallen_lassen
Fallen_lassen wrote:
Hold up ... so you want a Rams Head Big Muff Pi .... but you don't want it made by Electro Harmonix or a clone ... that doesn't make sense. It either must be made by EHX or by someone else ... or it doesn't get made. I'm sorry, I don't understand your post.

seriously, i just don't get it[/quote]

Should have used a Miley Cyrus sarcasm. thumbs up
Rex Coil 7
Fallen_lassen wrote:
Should have used a Miley Cyrus sarcasm. thumbs up
I'm a little slow on the uptake sometimes.

eek! hihi
Fallen_lassen
And for me it is hard to understand the written context/meaning of some replies . Because of language and my autism thumbs up
thetwlo
well, I haven't tried any muffs with guitar as intended but for synth/drum use the Metal Muff w/top and Civil War are easily my favs.
Chevron87
That sovtek deluxe sounds nice!!
joey
thetwlo wrote:
well, I haven't tried any muffs with guitar as intended but for synth/drum use the Metal Muff w/top and Civil War are easily my favs.

+1 on the metal muff, fucking slays for synths

I have always been curious about the regular muffs for this. was thinking of the deluxe bass muff but now this sovtek looks pretty good too. hard choice
Rex Coil 7
joey wrote:
thetwlo wrote:

I have always been curious about the regular muffs for this. was thinking of the deluxe bass muff but now this sovtek looks pretty good too. hard choice
I happen to have insider information that tells me Santa will be bringing me the Deluxe Bass, so if that informant turns out to be legit I'll be posting my findings regarding how well (or poorly) it works with synths.

I'd never heard ~that~ about the Metal Muff w/synths ... hmmm.....

Looks like I may need to check that one out!
thetwlo
well, the deluxe BASS big muff is great, I love the Metal Muff more, for my crazy extreme uses, should have the new one Thursday!
Love them all, not even sure the Metal Muff is a true "Muff" aside from the name. ?? This seems like a different circuit not just adjusted for parts. It's cheap and GREAT!!
And looks like EHX are discontinuing the Tube modules? Tube Zipper and Tube Q look gone! And Tube Black Finger.????
These are great!!!!
Chevron87
Rex Coil 7 wrote:
joey wrote:
thetwlo wrote:

I happen to have insider information that tells me Santa will be bringing me the Deluxe Bass, so if that informant turns out to be legit I'll be posting my findings regarding how well (or poorly) it works with synths.

Please let us know how that goes!
Rex Coil 7
Chevron87 wrote:
Rex Coil 7 wrote:
joey wrote:
thetwlo wrote:

Please let us know how that goes!
Will do. Dono-Kun Dance
thetwlo
Rex Coil 7
Pffft! Shit. So you got one already.

Well ..................... yer mom! Peter Grenader

thetwlo wrote:
joey
thetwlo wrote:

looking great! so how would you say they all compare? haha

I've never actually used a regular muff / bass muff. only the metal muff
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Guitars, Basses, Amps & FX Goto page 1, 2  Next [all]
Page 1 of 2