MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

EHX Sovtek Deluxe Big Muff Pi - RUSSIAN COLLUSION!
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Guitars, Basses, Amps & FX Goto page Previous  1, 2 [all]
Author EHX Sovtek Deluxe Big Muff Pi - RUSSIAN COLLUSION!
CrysWiz
My friend has a Rams Head. It’s much nicer than any of the many other Big Muff Pi pedals that we have. I made a few clones but never got the exact sound and response of the old one.

As for bass players with complex electronic crossovers and fx let’s not forget Bootsy Collins and Phil Lesh. (And Chris Squire but no crossover just separate outs.)
Rex Coil 7
CrysWiz wrote:
My friend has a Rams Head. It’s much nicer than any of the many other Big Muff Pi pedals that we have. I made a few clones but never got the exact sound and response of the old one.

As for bass players with complex electronic crossovers and fx let’s not forget Bootsy Collins and Phil Lesh. (And Chris Squire but no crossover just separate outs.)
I use a 4 pickup Jazz bass, each pickup has it's own output jack. That bass is connected to a 12ch Mackie mixer (one of the older VLZ series units that is made of metal and sounds good). Each pickup has it's own channel, it's own preamp, it's own 31 band EQ. The mixer also has two aux busses and various signal routing options that allow me to really do killer stuff with my bass. It's capable of producing clean and processed channels for each of the 4 pickup signal chains.

So tailoring certain types of sounds ... any era ... any famous player's tones ... any album ... everwhat ... is very much facilitated with this rig. What kicked the door wide open was each pickup having it's own output, and incorporating the 12ch mixer. All of those difficult things to do (like having preamps with processed/clean blend knobs) suddenly became very simple.

Ultimately, the unbeatable bass rig would use two basses .... one active/neck-through and one passive/bolt-on neck. Each of them would have per-pickup outputs, and at least three pickups per bass. Add the 12ch mixer, and you'd have the foundation to create A.N.Y. bass tone you could ever want. Just add preamps/distortion/EQs/compression etc to taste.

My amplification setup uses two Mackie PA power amps (800 watts each), and two cabinets (one 2x10 front ported, one 2x6 front ported). Each amp channel may also have it's own processing as well. I use APHEX 204 2ch Aural Exciter with Big Bottom, a 2ch Behringer compressor/limiter/de-esser, and two digital 31 band EQs (one per amp channel).

It is THE KING bass rig.

So adding various fuzzesseszsez, distortions, etc are easily done since "blending" clean and distorted is oh-so-ez.

thumbs up

The Beast Jazz Rig .... Inspired by the bass rigs used by Geddy Lee and John Entwistle ... ugly as a mud fence, and as useful as a hammer.

CrysWiz
Nice. I have my Rick with separate outs for my two pickups. Bridge is a stock and neck is an EB3 monster. Long ago my live amp situation was 1 long throw 18”, 1 front loaded 18”, 4x 12”, 2x double 15”, 1x12 combo, 1x10 combo, 1x 12”. Amps were assorted 60, 100, 200, and 300w heads. It all fit in a chevy suburban. Most of my fx were on various bridge pickup channels, the neck just had compression and a few 8sec delays for bass riff loops.
thetwlo
joey wrote:

looking great! so how would you say they all compare? haha

I've never actually used a regular muff / bass muff. only the metal muff

Well, they are all different enough to have all. Personally, I with drums/synth I prefer the Metal Muff, but haven't delved into the others enough as they are very dynamic, so impedance and levels are a huge deal. They are all worth grabbing at the price.
I am curious if the metal muff is even related to other Muffs, or just in name?
Revok
I think the Metal Muff is a Metal Zone knockoff with a tweaked EQ but I've never verified that.
Rex Coil 7
Super Excellent Big Muff Pi history and info page of the entire line up (quite complete, very VERY long, super comprehensive):
LINK = http://www.kitrae.net/music/music_big_muff.html

Deluxe Bass Muff Pi info page:
LINK = http://www.kitrae.net/music/big_muff_history3.html#deluxebassbigmuff

Sovtek Deluxe Muff Pi info page:
LINK = http://www.kitrae.net/music/big_muff_history2C.html#DGR

Revok wrote:
I think the Metal Muff is a Metal Zone knockoff with a tweaked EQ but I've never verified that.
That is just as likely as it is unlikely. You could be completely correct about that.

What I found about the Metal Muff is that it's pretty much nothing at all like the "real Muff Pi". It's actually a distortion pedal with an entirely different circuit architecture and design. Does that mean anything? Pffft .. hells no. At least not to me. I'd like to add one to my (as of yet) small Big Muff Pi collection, in any case. It's a rude-as-hell sounding circuit. So is the Dunlop Fuzz Face Mini Joe Bonamassa model, and I love that thing!

That's another ~fuzz~ I'd like to collect a few of, the Fuzz Face "Mini" catalog. The Joe Bonamassa I have is solid black, and about as large as a standard hockey puck. There's the red one, blue one, (one is germanium transistors, the other is silicone diode).

So yea ... a small collection of the Big Muffs and Mini Fuzz Face units I've listed here would be really great to add to my collection of various overdrives and distortion units!

I used to make my own under my own brand name. I stopped about 3 or so years ago ... couldn't handle the industry bullshit any longer after ten years and five hundred+ units built.

thumbs up
Rex Coil 7
Revok wrote:

The Metal Muff has a shatload more ~cut~ than the Metal Zone.

Here, this may allow one to make up their own mind on it. Watch this all the way through, the fella at the end discusses a few things about them (if you can sort out his heavy Scottish accent). The little pedal fight at the very end is funny.

thetwlo
Revok wrote:

yeah, that's what it reminds me of, but the MZ always seemed kinda thin and sterile, but it's been 10+ years since I owned one. Perhaps the Metal Muff just isn't as frequency limited as the MZ? The MZ was designed for guitar freq range, like most pedals, clearly EH is aware these are used for all instruments now. Just a hunch!
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Guitars, Basses, Amps & FX Goto page Previous  1, 2 [all]
Page 2 of 2