MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Chord / arp generator for Mac
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Music Software  
Author Chord / arp generator for Mac
DT
Dear all

Looking for a midi chord generator — i use Numerology 4 currently but looking for something to actually generate chord progressions

Is there such thing?

I might get into music theory maybe but that’s time consuming
Anechoic
Round-up: Theory-Busting MIDI Processors
CursedFrogurt
DT wrote:
Dear all

Looking for a midi chord generator — i use Numerology 4 currently but looking for something to actually generate chord progressions

Is there such thing?

Numerology has a chord sequencer, right? Not quite sure what you mean by having something to generate chord progressions?

Theory's not as consuming as you might think. Just knowing Diatonic Major scale + understanding how chords are built from stacked Diatonic Thirds gets you a super long way, and you can start to grok that in an afternoon.
CursedFrogurt
And if you wanted to more complex arpeggio stuff, I'd think you could do that with two mononote sequencers - use one for the arpeggio intervals, and on to set the offset (not quite the same function as a keyboard arpeggiator, but it's something). Just a thought.
foolprint
DT
CursedFrogurt wrote:
DT wrote:
Dear all

Is there such thing?

Numerology has a chord sequencer, right? Not quite sure what you mean by having something to generate chord progressions?

Theory's not as consuming as you might think. Just knowing Diatonic Major scale + understanding how chords are built from stacked Diatonic Thirds gets you a super long way, and you can start to grok that in an afternoon.

thank man - any good reference book / pdf to start with?
hamildad
go to youtube and type in chord progressions..

there's loads of short tutorials.
CursedFrogurt
hamildad wrote:
go to youtube and type in chord progressions..

there's loads of short tutorials.

Agreed. I got my start (and I'm still only beginning) from videos on youtube.

I'm pretty sure the two things that got me started were a "How to Practice with Scales" video from Jens Larson (Jazz Guitar), and a basic "How to make basslines" from Scott's Bass Lessons. I found it super useful to immediately see how theory stuff fit into making music, rather than being isolated.

Like in the Jens Larsen video, he suggested playing the scale in thirds, and then in triads. So in a C Major scale (which is all the white keys on a piano, or C - D - E - F - G - A - B), you'd play C - E, D - F, E -G, etc (just skipping a note). Then for triads, you'd play C - E - G (which is a C - major), D - F - A (D minor), etc. Once you start doing stuff like that, you'll get an intuitive feel of how stuff meshes together.

The key is really to try to use it as you're learning it. Don't try to memorize it all in isolation, it will take a million times longer to learn. Just learn the smallest nugget you can, and start to use it, and then go from there. As you learn more nuggets, use them as you go.

And I really really recommend actually playing stuff you're learning on an instrument as you go, rather than just sequencing (but sequence too, haha). The further you go, the more stuff you've learned will start to reinforce other things you've learned, and it starts to snowball like crazy.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Music Software  
Page 1 of 1