MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Information
Happy holidays! Please see the year-end funding drive post in the Announcements subforum. Thanks and all my love to you beautiful people.

Akai Rythm Wolf Midi Sync Question
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> General Gear  
Author Akai Rythm Wolf Midi Sync Question
alan_smythee
I know many users of the RW have voiced concern with its clock, but my problem is slightly different and I'm curious if anyone can offer some advice.

I play in a synth duo and our rigs are synced via midi by the RW as master. RW sends midi clock to a Midi solutions quadra thru, and from there the signal goes to a looper, two other synths, and another drum machine (volca beats).

My issue is that when we hit play on the RW, we don't always get the other instruments to sync. For example, we'll hit play and the volca will engage with one beat off, or sometimes a fraction of a beat. Same with the looper and the arps on the synths. If it starts out of sync, it remains out of sync; the instruments will not drift back into time. This problem is intermittent, though. Stopping and starting the RW pattern again will sometimes fix the issue.

My goal is to learn if this is a hardware issue, a settings issue, user error, or something else. I need this to be 100% reliable for live performance and right now it is not. Thank you for any guidance you might provide.
JayEm
if you have any other gear that can act as master clock, try putting it at the beginning of the chain. if you have the same problem, then its possibly the midibox, if not its the wolf. also, try changing cables.
alan_smythee
Good thinking, Jay. Thanks.

I was under the impression that the Quadra Thru boxes were pretty straight-forward (e.g. plug it in and it works). Is there a chance that the clock being split 4 ways weakens the signal and makes it more difficult for the other machines to pick up?
JayEm
alan_smythee wrote:
Good thinking, Jay. Thanks.

I was under the impression that the Quadra Thru boxes were pretty straight-forward (e.g. plug it in and it works). Is there a chance that the clock being split 4 ways weakens the signal and makes it more difficult for the other machines to pick up?

possible? sure. i had some cheap midi thru box and found that it had issues with clock, dropped notes, etc. i think the m-audio ones are supposed to be reliable, also possibly a powered solution would be better?

but still, all of this is easy to test, disconnect some things, swap cables, etc.

best of luck
IR
I've never tried to sync anything to it, but I've noticed that the beat goes off a little and slows down when you're saving a pattern while it's running.
IR
Actually, I connected my Rhythm Wolf to my MFB 522 yesterday and I confirm that it works fine unless you do a save on the Wolf, which makes it go out of sync, but it comes back to sync if you make the sequencer stop and press play again (on the Akai of course).

Also, I tried my Volca Sample (I don't have a Beats), and it works fine if you don't mess with the play button. Let the Rhythm Wolf automatically start it. If you press play on the Sample, it'll turn off the sequencer and when you press play on the Sample again it'll start out of sync.

Otherwise you can change patterns on any of them and it will stay in sync.
alan_smythee
Thanks, IR. I've got some testing to do. Worst case scenario, I might check out a powered thru box to see if I can consistently get it to sync. Will report back when I locate a solution.
IR
I also have that MIDI box and have never had any trouble with it, although I've only used it to drive other gear from a master sequencer.

It's user error most likely. You didn't say how you have the looper and synths connected. I don't have much experience with arps, so I'm not sure they'd automatically start on the first beat of the pattern, nor did you mention how they are all connected. If you have something connected by sync impulse from the Wolf, it's going to start whenever you press something as the impulses are constant whether you press play or not (edit: actually no, the Akai impulses only run when the play is active, but the Volca impulses run constantly, still can cause problems if something goes off). You probably didn't do that because you said it's all by MIDI, but you also didn't specify if you start all by just pressing play on the Rhythm Wolf or if you press play on several things at the same time.
Panason
I'd vote for it being a hardware issue and recommend ditching the Akai at least. The Volcas aren't known for behaving well with MIDI clock either...
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> General Gear  
Page 1 of 1