MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

What is your DAW setup and audio interface.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Music Software Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next [all]
Author What is your DAW setup and audio interface.
joesdeals
I am revamping my studio and looking for new DAW and audio interface,

what brand / model of audio interface do you use and your DAW setup / version.

I am looking into the MOTU A8 to work with my eurorack because of its balanced, DC coupled outputs.

Also thinking about getting the Ableton Push 2

http://motu.com/products/proaudio/828es

Ableton Push 2

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6pXqZ75m8PM
TXBDan
It all depends on what you're doing. Pro Tools and Reaper are prob best for pure recording and mixing. Ableton for live stuff. Cubase and Logic for composition as well as recording/mixing.

I run Cubase 10 and use my Soundcraft mixer as an interface. It's nice to have a hardware mixer for standalong synth/modular stuff without using the computer.
Panason
Push 2 is a bit of a waste of space and money. The step sequencer on it is a joke and the integration with Live is not deep and still uses MIDI for the control messages... Live just sees Push as a generic MIDI controller...

You cannot use the Push encoders to send MIDI to hardware unless you use 3rd party Max devices, and if you want to record those knob movements as the actual MIDI CC messages, you have to use a separate MIDI track d'oh!

You can get better functionality (and a lot of good sounds) in a smaller footprint with Maschine running alongside your DAW.
catchin
Ableton Live 10, interfaced with hardware via RME HDSP 9652. The audio jacks from hardware go into a Focusrite Octopre, then send those signals over ADAT to RME card. MIDI i/o is right off the RME card, and I use a MIDI Solutions M8/T8 for splitting the MIDI i/o to all the hardware that needs it.

This setup took me years to figure out (I have no audio engineering background whatsoever), and it fits me and my workflow perfectly.
computer controlled
Panason wrote:


You cannot use the Push encoders to send MIDI to hardware unless you use 3rd party Max devices, and if you want to record those knob movements as the actual MIDI CC messages, you have to use a separate MIDI track d'oh!



That's not what it's meant for.
computer controlled
Live 10 with two MOTU Travelers.
giugno
I use Pro Tools for recording bands because I learned it in school, but for electronic music I use Logic. I think Logic and Ableton lend themselves more to loop based music as well as using any software instruments. And theyre both easier to learn than PT, imo.
chvad
Work: PT Ultimate on a 32 channel HDX system
Home: Reaper with MOTU 838 mkII
Live: Reaper with Scarlet 2i4
Muzone
Reaper with Zoom h5 in 4 track USB mode for recording and Audient iD4 for mixing
MickMad
DAW of choice: Reason 10 (no words can really describe the masterpiece Reason has become)
Master keyboard: AKAI mpk mini mkII (compact, practical, neat pitch/mod joystick)
Audio interface: NI Guitar Rig Session IO (2 in 2 out with parallel headphone master out, obsolete interface)

I'm developing my own Eurorack modules, controllers, and audio interface, so in the (hopefully near) future my setup will change, but for now it is what it is. I can do everything I need with it, and the portability is amazing. If I need to do a studio session with my pals I just put PC and everything else in my backpack and that's it.
fac
I'm just getting back to using a DAW after using hardware recorders (Tascam DP-24 and Zoom R-24) for a few years. I still have the R24 at hand because I find it much more useful for recording synth jams, but I want to start composing again and for that I need MIDI sequencing.

I have a late 2015 21" iMac with a 2.8 GHz quad-core i5, 8 Gb RAM, 1 Tb harddisk and OSX 10.13.6 (High Sierra). Also bought a Presonus AudioBox 1818VSL interface, which comes with Studio One Artist v3; however, I've just been dabbling with GarageBand, and the AudioBox works great with it. I will eventually go to Studio One because GarageBand can't sequence external MIDI instruments, but it's actually quite powerful. I'm really considering just upgrading to Logic and forget about Studio One.

My master keyboard is an old Evolution MK-361 mk2, which has served me well for years, and I still have several MIDI synths. I still need to test if my old Midiman (that is, pre M-Audio) Midisport 8x8 works with this DAW. If it doesn't, I might resort to using my Kilpatrick Carbon as MIDI/CV interface.
scozbor
Renoise + Bitwig on Linux.
Old Roland VS100 interface (which is surprisingly great!)
orangehexagon
chvad wrote:
Work: PT Ultimate on a 32 channel HDX system
Home: Reaper with MOTU 838 mkII
Live: Reaper with Scarlet 2i4


How are you using Reaper live? I've been looking for an alternative to Ableton for live purposes and I already own Reaper, but I've really not learned how to use it enough.
Flexyflier
Logic 10.4 and a Zoom L12
monads
I'm in the process of upgrading audio interfaces but holding the line with my MacPro 2012 for now.

-Lynx Aurora(n)
-Dante
Rex Coil 7
Live 9 with Win7, Behringer U-Phoria interface (6 ins, 6 outs and 5 pin DIN MIDI I/O ... so I can run VSTs out of their own outputs and apply outboard FX and also provide MIDI clock signals to outboard gear needing clock).

For me, the computer is a couple of bandmates that provide rhythm and backing while I command chord changes and perform ad lib melodies and improvised leads. The perfect "jam band", that doesn't drink all your beer or smoke all your weed, doesn't hit on your old lady, and is always on time for practice.

It's just a highly capable phrase looper in my case. It can capture performances, and if I want to put together a rough demo recording of a "song" it can get that done as well.

I think some folks ask too much of the DAW systems. They want it to be this sort of "deus ex machina to immanentize the eschaton" (so to speak) .... the magical machine which will bring everything into perfect enmeshment. It is just that group of people that seem to be the least satisfied with their systems.

Managing expectations is key to making the DAW work well. That, and making certain to select the gear best suited to the task. Expecting a flanger to work well as an audio interface is probably not going to work, and is certain to irritate and annoy you in your efforts to make it work for that purpose.

Just sayin to research your choices carefully, and don't try to make a pig sing. A desk mixer is not a MIDI CC signals recorder. Nor is the Ableton Push.



seriously, i just don't get it
chvad
orangehexagon wrote:
chvad wrote:
Work: PT Ultimate on a 32 channel HDX system
Home: Reaper with MOTU 838 mkII
Live: Reaper with Scarlet 2i4


How are you using Reaper live? I've been looking for an alternative to Ableton for live purposes and I already own Reaper, but I've really not learned how to use it enough.


I use it for sending out midi clock to band mates, click track for the drummer, program changes for my synth, whatever backing material we need and hosting for other VST's. If you have any specific questions I'm always happy to help!
thetechnobear
Panason wrote:

Push 2 is a bit of a waste of space and money. The step sequencer on it is a joke and the integration with Live is not deep and still uses MIDI for the control messages... Live just sees Push as a generic MIDI controller...


do you actually have a push 2? as this is a pretty inaccurate statement.
in fact watching any youtube video with push2 would rather contradict your statement.

the Push2 (nor really push1 for that matter) is not just seen as a generic MIDI controller.
to start with the display is driven directly over USB , using its own protocol - no midi is used.
secondly, the control scripts are where most of the functionality lives, and is where its integrated with the Live ecosystem, so even where that is 'just' midi, its not 'generic' midi in that the script is written very specifically for the push, to link it into the ecosystem.
... in fact most users won't even notice under the covers the push2 is using midi, its irrelevant to how they use it.

integration these days is very good, not only can you see parameters and automate them but also now can see wavetables, waveforms and the piano roll - and many things like getting to track IO is now possible.

for sure, its not perfect but its pretty good.

Im not a fan of the step sequencer, (though the newer mode is an improvement) but its passable.

I tend to do live recording to capture music data (notes and automation) so no real issue for me.


Quote:

You cannot use the Push encoders to send MIDI to hardware unless you use 3rd party Max devices, and if you want to record those knob movements as the actual MIDI CC messages, you have to use a separate MIDI track d'oh!


sure you need a 3rd party device, (free) no a big deal, or program your own which is what ive done.

and you would not have to use a separate midi track for to capture this midi CC, as you can record the automation on max parameters and so therefore these will play back.
(of course, if you really want to finally have it as CC, then as you say you can just track it out)


seems like you didn't like the Push2 for **your** needs, but not everyone is the same, different gear suits different people.
paranormind
Studio One 4, fed with a Roland Studio Capture!
Chevron87
I was a Logic Pro user for many, many years but I jumped on Ableton around 4 or 5 years ago as it seemed a more forward-thinking DAW, especially when using Push. Since I made the move I really love Ableton, it's just so deep but the commonly used stuff is very easy to learn and get speedy with. I highly recommend Push 2 if your budget can stretch to it. Editing samples and drum programming are a lot of fun with it and it's a quality piece of hardware.

For Audio Interface I use the Lynx Hilo which is a 2 input 4 output interface which I use with a Bantam Patchbay, where I have all my synths patched in to. I have a small Mackie mixer if I need to run a bunch of synths at the same time, and then I print them to audio individually.

I also use Pro Tools for mixing, which I much prefer for audio editing and for mixing workflow.
grillo
FL studio 20, rme fireface and additional 8 channel rme converter.
Panason
thetechnobear wrote:

do you actually have a push 2?


No I just imagine I have one... seriously, i just don't get it yeah. I had one. I sold it. I realised I prefer to play keys using an actual keyboard and I don't need 64 pads taking up desk space.. It didn't do basic stuff that Maschine handles effortlessly, so out it went. Maschine also works as a standalone fully programmable controller with easy switching between pages of controls so it is a much more useful device.

If you want to see just how shallow the integration is all you have to do is check Live's undo history after doing a few things on the Push. "Undo MIDI controller action"..... it doesn't even tell you what action.... lol It doesn't even recognize their own controller as being something more than a MIDI controller... because it isn't really.

I forgot to mention how useless Push is for working on the Arrange screen. No real transport controls, no marker buttons etc etc.
orangehexagon
Panason wrote:
thetechnobear wrote:

do you actually have a push 2?


No I just imagine I have one... seriously, i just don't get it yeah. I had one. I sold it. I realised I prefer to play keys using an actual keyboard and I don't need 64 pads taking up desk space.. It didn't do basic stuff that Maschine handles effortlessly, so out it went. Maschine also works as a standalone fully programmable controller with easy switching between pages of controls so it is a much more useful device.

If you want to see just how shallow the integration is all you have to do is check Live's undo history after doing a few things on the Push. "Undo MIDI controller action"..... it doesn't even tell you what action.... lol It doesn't even recognize their own controller as being something more than a MIDI controller... because it isn't really.

I forgot to mention how useless Push is for working on the Arrange screen. No real transport controls, no marker buttons etc etc.


Does anyone really think the Push is anything more than a MIDI controller? I think we all know it's a MIDI controller.

I get that it doesn't work for you, but it works really well for a lot of people. Spice is the variety of life.

Regardless of the fact that I don't own one anymore, it really does stream-line sketching out ideas and 'performing' in the session view.


Anyways back on top:

I'm using a Focusrite Saffire Pro 40 with a 2015 Macbook Pro running Ableton 10, Logic X, Reaper, and Numerology. Ableton 10 gets the most use, but I've just started to use Logic X for MPE recordings of my Linnstrument.

IMO Ableton is great for beats, loops, and experimentation, Logic X is great for Midi sequencing, and Reaper is best for CPU intensive tasks. I've been using Ableton for about 13 years now.
CrysWiz
Reaper 5
Ableton Live 9

RME multiface
Focusrite Sapphire 6

Audition (since Cool Edit days) for editing
RX 4 for restoration and clean up.
orbita
I use Ableton 10 and Push2 on an Intel 5820k hexcore Hackintosh running High Sierra.

I use an RME babyface combined and an RME Raydat. The OSX Aggregated device allows me to combine them as one device for use in Ableton - dont think this is possible on windows unless you use ASIO4ALL. Babyface is nice because of the close at hand volume/level knob and headphone sockets. The Raydat gives 4adat in/out for expandability.

A Creamware Ultra A16 connects via ADAT for analog synth IO.

Expert Sleepers ES3/ES6 connects via ADAT for modular IO.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Music Software Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next [all]
Page 1 of 3
Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group