MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

AC/DC coupling [thread moved]
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Expert Sleepers  
Author AC/DC coupling [thread moved]
tranzfuse
Hi, sorry to cut in, but I'm trying to wrap my head around some of these terms and concepts you're talking about.

What is AC-coupled vs. DC-coupled?

I'm barely a newbie, I appreciate your knowledge and insight.

Thanks!
os
Try http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Capacitive_coupling

for a start.
tranzfuse
That was a nice Sunday morning read! Way to get the gears turning for sure, now I need coffee.

I noticed in a previous comment this was said:

Quote:

What's your audio interface?

If it's AC-coupled, are you using the AC Encoder plug-in?

Does this suggest that different manufacturers may choose to use either AC- or DC-coupling when designing an audio interface? Or is one of these a standard? I have a MOTU Ultralite for example.

Thanks again.
tuj
yes, most but not all interfaces are ac-coupled. you can search through this sub forum for your specific interface.
os
The Ultralite is DC-coupled, which is why it's not so important to have something like the ES-1 for it.
tranzfuse
os wrote:
The Ultralite is DC-coupled, which is why it's not so important to have something like the ES-1 for it.

OK, so does that mean I would need the special 'floating ring' cables you've mentioned before to interface between Ableton <-> MOTU <-> Modular? I believe I read on another thread that these special cables can be purchased for $100 for 8 (Sly Goose was it)?

And I'm still in the middle of researching, but is a MIDI/CV gate module required in the above scenario? Or is MOTU enough?

Thanks again.
baltimoroder
MOTU strongly recommends "lifting the ring" to avoid damaging the interface when passing DC but some people have been ok with regular TRS-TS cables. You can also use commonly-found 1/4" to 1/8" Insert Cables FWIW.

Silent Way uses your computer to generate CV; no MIDI-CV interface necessary. Your Ultralite will generate around 7V on the main output and 9V on the headphone output.
tranzfuse
baltimoroder wrote:
MOTU strongly recommends "lifting the ring" to avoid damaging the interface when passing DC but some people have been ok with regular TRS-TS cables. You can also use commonly-found 1/4" to 1/8" Insert Cables FWIW.

Silent Way uses your computer to generate CV; no MIDI-CV interface necessary. Your Ultralite will generate around 7V on the main output and 9V on the headphone output.

Hey guys,

I'm still researching some things and trying to better understand some details I've come across.

It seems to be that the advantages of using an ES-1 with a MOTU Ultralite interface are:

1. A centralized panel to manage patching from MOTU -> modular
2. Up to 9x greater voltage output

The second point I don't fully understand. If it is being mentioned as a benefit, so I assume more voltage output is good. Why exactly?

As baltimoroder mentioned above, the MOTU outputs around 7v from the main outputs. Is this sufficient? Is this miserable? Is this awesome?

And I assume voltage output ties in to the 1v/octave measurement I keep reading about.

And if there are just over 7 octaves on an 88 key piano, wouldn't the MOTU's output of 7 volts have me covered for that octave range? I'm guessing there is more to this equation than I realize.

Thanks everyone.
os
The Ultralite mk3 generates about ±3.5V. The range of voltages in a Eurorack system is usually ±10V, so there's definitely a shortfall.

±3.5V is a range of 7V, but only 3.5V of it is positive. Depending on what it's connected to that can be significant. E.g. some old synths need +10V or more to trigger a gate.
tranzfuse
os wrote:
The Ultralite mk3 generates about ±3.5V. The range of voltages in a Eurorack system is usually ±10V, so there's definitely a shortfall.

±3.5V is a range of 7V, but only 3.5V of it is positive. Depending on what it's connected to that can be significant. E.g. some old synths need +10V or more to trigger a gate.

OK, thanks for the clarification. It is beginning to make a little more sense.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Expert Sleepers  
Page 1 of 1