MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Information
Happy holidays! Please see the year-end funding drive post in the Announcements subforum. Thanks and all my love to you beautiful people.

5 k to invest / Cwejman S 1 mk 2 ?
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> General Gear  
Author 5 k to invest / Cwejman S 1 mk 2 ?
Grappadura
Hi, I want to spend 5 k. How? One option is a Cwejman S 1 MK 2. Would you do it? Other options? I love synths and am new to modular. One thought here is that I have the hope that the value will increase over Time, so its partly a Hobby- partly an Investment decision. Thanks!!
Be Sandy?
In my opinion, synths are not for investment and making money over time, they're for making music.

If you want to spend 5k on a synth, buy one that you like the sound and features of.

If you want to invest 5k and make money talk to a financial advisor and see what they recommend.
Grappadura
Thx for chiming in; well in order to play with a modular you gotta have money, and I am not in a position to spend 5 k in a way that there will be nothing of value left. So, and this also serves the purpose of selling the argument to my beloved wife smile , I regard the purchase as half hobby and half investment; I´m not looking to extract synths from the market so others can´t play it wink .

The real question is maybe: Might there be a reason not to buy the S 1 Mk 2, like, will there be a new batch, can I preorder it somewhere, this kind of info. Or some other info about a similar kind of synth, or the info that I would be better off buying some cwejman modules for that price... thats what I´m looking for.
lud
Think the S1 goes for crazy money. Wait and hope for a new batch.

If you pay an inflated price you could lose $1000s if it goes back into production - so a poor choice at the moment perhaps as I heard it's going back into production. Google cwejman.jp and contact them
gentle_attack
Step 1: Join Muffwiggler
Step 2: Get information about Cwejman
Step 3: ?????
Step 4: Profit

Never maintain cash savings again
Reese P. Dubin
Spend a week practicing soldering.
spend $5000 on Random Source Serge
have a huge banana system that flexes way beyond the cwejman, which you probably wont find for $5000

It's peanut butter jelly time! nanners sad banana Dead Banana Dead Banana
CF3
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Greater_fool_theory
Grappadura
gentle_attack wrote:
Step 1: Join Muffwiggler
Step 2: Get information about Cwejman
Step 3: ?????
Step 4: Profit

Never maintain cash savings again

That sums up my business-plan applause It's peanut butter jelly time!
anselmi
you just reminded me a big mistake, when some years ago I don´t purchased a S1 for $2.5K Dead Banana
Grappadura
Reese P. Dubin wrote:
Spend a week practicing soldering.
spend $5000 on Random Source Serge
have a huge banana system that flexes way beyond the cwejman, which you probably wont find for $5000

It's peanut butter jelly time! nanners sad banana Dead Banana Dead Banana

Sounds like a plan, but since I´m pretty new to modular, I dig the S1 "simplicity". I don´t need endless posibilities (yet), I´m after something that I could take with me to a gig (even though I´ll just have it in the studio, but the studio is limited to about 3 m²).

But thx for showing me Serge modular, I just saw a video and liked the sound a lot. Is Serge regarded as on pair with cwejman? Which other manufacturers are on that level?
Grappadura
lud wrote:
Think the S1 goes for crazy money. Wait and hope for a new batch.

If you pay an inflated price you could lose $1000s if it goes back into production - so a poor choice at the moment perhaps as I heard it's going back into production. Google cwejman.jp and contact them

That I will do, thank you!!
oldgearguy
Or look at other rare but fun to use gear like a MacBeth Elements, an ARP 2600, etc.
OlivierWah
Make like a lot of Cwejman buyers :

1) Buy all modules from batches of Cwejman. Make sure that no others Cwejman fans can buy it to make music.
2) Wait few days, test them.
3) Resell them to twice prices without shame to all the Cwejman fans that cant buy the modules because of you.
4) Profit.
5) Dont do this, it's a joke.
6) Wait the next batch of S1 MK2 in few months, it will be less that 5k (contact Maho on cwejman.jp).

Cheers
Sir Ruff
I don't get "being new to modular" and then wanting to spend multiple thousands of dollars on it, unless it's just a status/collector thing for you?

If you're actually serious about synthesis, there are more intro-level/stand-alone modular synths than ever these days. Invest your time in learning one of those, and whether or not that's even your thing, rather than your money.
Grappadura
I am new to modular, but Im sure I understand it well enough to know that I won’t be overwhelmed by the complexity of the S 1. But since I’m new to it, I’d choose a semimodular over a modular
Grappadura
It’s not a status thing, I do feel passionate about synths and sounds. Actually more about sounds than synths, and that’s why I gotta love the S 1, it sounds amazing!
electricfence
Grappadura wrote:
I am new to modular, but Im sure I understand it well enough to know that I won’t be overwhelmed by the complexity of the S 1. But since I’m new to it, I’d choose a semimodular over a modular

Grappadura wrote:
It’s not a status thing, I do feel passionate about synths and sounds. Actually more about sounds than synths, and that’s why I gotta love the S 1, it sounds amazing!

The new Erebus 3 also sounds pretty amazing (from what I've heard). I don't want to say that it's on the same level as the Cwejman S1, but it has 3 oscillators, a robust patch bay, and a gnarly sound. And it's readily available for $600. At that price, I imagine that it would require a lot less "justification" to your spouse.

seriously, i just don't get it
Panason
Well, he wants to spend 5k, not 600 cool
RealDudes
Download VCV rack and buy some 3rd party modules
Donate the rest to a homeless shelter
Grappadura
Thx for the suggestions. I actually don´t mind spending less smile. I have ordered a trax retrowave which I have the feeling I will love a lot (about 400 €). I also love my minilogue. I also think its a good idea to donate money, and I will do so too, some money will go to an environmental organisation.

BTW I contacted Cwejman as suggested, the next batch will be of 60 units, I´ll be on the waiting list on number 132, so lets see if I get lucky some day.
lud
You might be able to get earlier from Schneidersladen. Go on their site to the S1 product page and set up an email alert
stikygum
Grappadura wrote:
Hi, I want to spend 5 k. How? One option is a Cwejman S 1 MK 2. Would you do it? Other options? I love synths and am new to modular. One thought here is that I have the hope that the value will increase over Time, so its partly a Hobby- partly an Investment decision. Thanks!!

Unless you particularly like the S1 over other high priced options, I wouldn't do it for the sake of taking a risk on investment. Maybe prices will go done for one reason or another and you would just be wasting time and possibly money if you aren't really into the S1 sound. You read other people's opinion about it, but a lot of times that won't translate to your experience of using it. You can listen to demos and that would give you a better idea if the tone suits you. But I would start there. What synth's tone do you like.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> General Gear  
Page 1 of 1