MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

8bit Eurorack Square Wave Sound
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules Goto page 1, 2  Next [all]
Author 8bit Eurorack Square Wave Sound
TemplarK
Ok, so, i'm looking for a really gnarly 8bit sound, if any of you know the DFA Remix of Another Excuse by Soulwax, the 8bit sound that rips at the start of the track, thats exactly what i'm going for.

Any suggestions? Doesnt have to be in euro even software although i dont have logics bitrate reducer things and cubases wasn't really doing it for me, somehting i can use modular would be best so i can do PWM etc with some nice modulations

Thanks
forestcaver
What about MI Edges?
(Although I quite like using s&h with a fast clock from a vco so you can voltage control the bit recuction and then a vc slew on the output for fun. - loads of other ideas for aggressive bit reduction...)
TemplarK
Edges of course i was looking at this the other day now i remember....

God my memory is bad now i'm older!!!

Thanks!
hinterlands303
Also Braids in 8bit mode can sound really great. +1 on using a sample and hold with a fast clock source for vc sample rate reduction (not quite the same sound as bit reduction but still nice).
starthief
Of course if you just work with square waves, that's literally one bit SlayerBadger!
hawkfuzz
Livestock Electronics Bang
BaloErets
Also take a look at the Oscitron by Soulsby. Get your 8-bit love going on hi gear!

https://soulsbysynths.com/oscitron/
uniquepersonno2
Noise Engineering Ataraxic Translatron does this very well, extremely aggressively digital sounding. I find it a little hard to tame sometimes but for that it can't be beat. Rockin' Banana!
gis_sweden
Don't get it... Any oscillator with PWM? Add some attenuated self modulation. Maybe some spring reverb feedback. hmmm.....
placebo92
Check out the Hexinverter VCNO, a Voltage controlled noise source which apparently uses a similar approach as early computer sound chips for creating it’s noise - all I know is it sounds awesome..

demo
denoise
A 8 bit square wave doesn’t make a difference. A square wave in theory is only voltage high and voltage 0.

If you are looking for a digital oscillator, have you heard the ALM Busy Circuits MCO? The Intellijel Shapeshifter can do very bit reducted stuff too, but perhaps it’s a little bit overkill for your purposes.
Mungo
TemplarK wrote:
Ok, so, i'm looking for a really gnarly 8bit sound, if any of you know the DFA Remix of Another Excuse by Soulwax, the 8bit sound that rips at the start of the track, thats exactly what i'm going for.
By the beginning of the track do you mean the mono lead at 1:58 in this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ixhbI0TYeWg
Its a strictly monophonic line, no significant enveloping, and no slew of pitch or drift on the tuning (drift and slew are characteristic of many analog oscillators). But the key to many of those "retro" "chip" or " XX bit" sound as here is the heavily quantised and off key tuning which cuts through a mix. Easy enough to reproduce with any sequencer which doesn't have a quantised output, or using a quantiser with microtonal or arbitrary tuning.
shoottofill
Michigan Synth Works is working on their own version of MI Edges. no idea when its coming out.
Blingley
I listened to the track, and frankly, it doesn't sound all that 8-bit. Any square oscillator should do.

It is also notable that the one main chip that actually had full-range PWM was SID from C64. NES only had 4 fixed widths (12,5, 25, 50, 75), which made PWM sound terrible (though useful for a plucky effect in transients). My understanding is that before PWM could become really widespread, many chips already began to get phased out in favour of FM-based alternatives. That does not mean that PWM could not be faked - YM2149 for instance can be tricked to producing the effect by updating the volume channel frequently enough.

starthief wrote:
Of course if you just work with square waves, that's literally one bit SlayerBadger!

More with volume control - on NES that'd be 4 bits. The Triangle, due to needing to be smooth and having 4 bits used by that, can either be on or off and nothing in between. lol

In modular, you can of course just use a VCA.
strangegravity
Just run a square in to a bit crusher.
TemplarK
The sound i'm talking about is at 0.27 seconds and is a rising FX, it plays a couple of other times but its quite short, not the lead bass or arp, just an FX sound.

https://youtu.be/ixhbI0TYeWg?t=26

Although I am also trying to reproduce the lead sound thats later on in the track that happens around 4.50 is just hi pitched sound that is horn like i guess i'm not sure how to describe it I was thinking its digital also?

https://youtu.be/ixhbI0TYeWg?t=291

The bass and other parts i think i can get close to with my usual analog synths but this tracks is making me want some other sounds that i havent verntured into yet so any advice about making any sounds in this track on euro i'll take the advice thanks guys!
denoise
take a look at:

https://bedroomproducersblog.com/2012/11/06/bpb-presents-commodore-64- synthesizer-sessions-deluxe-free-sample-pack/

there are tons of C64 samples you could reuse for that purpose
Basterdman
maybe i missed it... but Twisted electrons ay-3
reekster
It’s heavily compressed which is also a characteristic of 8 bit. Sometimes it’s just a matter of carving out a space for it
Shledge
strangegravity wrote:

It would... still be a square. It's like trying to filter a pure sine wave and expecting it to change harmonically.
DSC
I would go 4bit and clean it up a bit thumbs up
But I am a little biased!
https://millionmachinemarch.com/page_id285/
ipassenger
Shledge wrote:
strangegravity wrote:

It would... still be a square. It's like trying to filter a pure sine wave and expecting it to change harmonically.

Agreed, I thought a square wave would be basically a 1bit sound, extra bits shouldn’t change it. If the bit reduction happened after the Vcas then it would change the character though.
Shledge
Yeah, true. Sample reduction would change the higher frequencies too.
euxine
Shledge wrote:
Yeah, true. Sample reduction would change the higher frequencies too.

This was my first thought as well - perhaps it's sample rate reduction you're after as this would introduce distortion to the square wave (from truncating higher harmonics), and probably some nice aliasing sounds as well?
TemplarK
I ended up with Mutable Instruments Edges. Exactly what I was after, after using it I realised what I was really chasing was the digital noise Edges gives out, however I must also attest to how utterly stunning running arps in the upper octaves are one to three above usual bass range into a good filter and reverb.

My first MI but I’m very impressed at how Edges sounds very cool!
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules Goto page 1, 2  Next [all]
Page 1 of 2