MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Multi-Channel DIY Drum Sequencer
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Music Tech DIY  
Author Multi-Channel DIY Drum Sequencer
ancientbones
I’m interested in building a drum sequencer, but haven’t found many designs that support multiple channels. I’ve seen little-scale’s homemade drum machine made with a teensy on youtube and that’s the closest thing I’ve seen so far.

Any here have suggestions or advice? Here’s basically what I’m after:

* 16 steps
* Able to support 6 voices
* Able to set different pattern lengths for each channel
* Swing[/img]
djthopa
Hi!
Im working on a trigger sequencer at the moment.

Its more like a baby 8 sequencer but just for triggers and is based on an arduino nano. It could have been done with 4017 decade counters but im not having much luck at the moment with CMOS so trying to get a solid ground with arduino first.

I have been looking at the different options and i came up with a design with two sequencers that can be triggered at different tempos and have their own resets.

The little scale drum machine looks great, but i wanted to do something with no menu diving, also im kind of new to all this microcontroller stuff, so im using the two timer interrupts on the arduino nano.

Learning as i go...

I ordered some pcbs that should arrive here this week.

Best of lucks and let me know if i can be of any help!

Edited: have you seen this one?

http://www.faselunare.com/shapeshifter
ancientbones
djthopa wrote:
Hi!
Im working on a trigger sequencer at the moment.

Its more like a baby 8 sequencer but just for triggers and is based on an arduino nano. It could have been done with 4017 decade counters but im not having much luck at the moment with CMOS so trying to get a solid ground with arduino first.

I have been looking at the different options and i came up with a design with two sequencers that can be triggered at different tempos and have their own resets.

The little scale drum machine looks great, but i wanted to do something with no menu diving, also im kind of new to all this microcontroller stuff, so im using the two timer interrupts on the arduino nano.

Learning as i go...

I ordered some pcbs that should arrive here this week.

Best of lucks and let me know if i can be of any help!

Edited: have you seen this one?

http://www.faselunare.com/shapeshifter

I haven’t seen the shapeshifter before. Looks pretty interesting! I’m really trying to avoid menu diving as well. The most I would want is just being able to press a button to change a channel.

But I want to make this a very performative sequencer so I’m almost tempted to just lay out all 6 channels with toggle switches or something. Is that how your design is going?
adnauseam
ancientbones wrote:
I’m interested in building a drum sequencer, but haven’t found many designs that support multiple channels. I’ve seen little-scale’s homemade drum machine made with a teensy on youtube and that’s the closest thing I’ve seen so far.

Any here have suggestions or advice? Here’s basically what I’m after:

* 16 steps
* Swing[/img]

Sonic potions lxr will do all this.
risq
I've made a few experiments with a teensy as a drum machine, and the main problem was the sd card read rate for playing multiple samples simultaneously.

Using flash memory would probably help a lot. Anyway you should take a took at this thread on pjrc : https://forum.pjrc.com/threads/26493-Build-Thread-Beatmaker

Otherwise, sparkfun's wav trigger (https://www.sparkfun.com/products/13660) may be an option to handle samples playback, but is more expensive and may have some limitations depending on what you want to make (but it has many great features)
Jaytee
adnauseam wrote:
* 16 steps
* Swing

Sonic potions lxr will do all this.

It will, but it seems like major overkill. It also requires the extra trigger I/o board, which I think has been out of stock for some time (though schematics are available).
ancientbones
I don’t need samples. This will be triggering analog drum modules.

I’ve looked into the LXR and it just doesn’t look like something I want. I want something with very little to no menu diving.
Tonescape
What about the Robaux prject:

https://robaux.io/swt16

Seems perfect for your needs.
risq
ancientbones wrote:

Oh, sorry, I read your post too fast.

In this case if you want to go full diy you may just need a teensy or even an ATmega with some multiplexers and switches... You can also use a 4x4 buttons pad (https://www.sparkfun.com/products/7835).

If not robaux is a great suggestion too !
adnauseam
ancientbones wrote:

I’ve looked into the LXR and it just doesn’t look like something I want. I want something with very little to no menu diving.

Investigate Bastl Knit Rider with the expander of you want just straight triggers.
diablojoy
Quote:
* 16 steps
* Swing

Quote:
But I want to make this a very performative sequencer so I’m almost tempted to just lay out all 6 channels with toggle switches or something.

I have been thinking on this and I really don't like menu diving either,
I do have some mini dpdt latching pushbuttons which would be suitable
an 8mm square E-switch which would minimise the required realestate
still it would need to be similar in size to the euro klee panel wise to be useable anyway.
was thinking of using cmos but it's a lot of chips - around 100 or so .
definitely wouldn't be cheap and would need to be mostly smt .
djthopa
I finally finished the sequencer i mentioned before, not without hiccups but all working now.

Its big, 50 hp,4 independent 8 step sequencers with on /off switches, lenght from 1 to 8 step, pushbutton reset and external reset in.

Sequencers can be cascaded too.

It uses one arduino nano and 2 octal led drivers ic for each 2 rows, so 2 nanos for the whole module.

200 ma on the +12v auch!

[/img]
revtor
Great work!!!
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Music Tech DIY  
Page 1 of 1