MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Information
Happy holidays! Please see the year-end funding drive post in the Announcements subforum. Thanks and all my love to you beautiful people.

Wavefolder and Frequency Shifter
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules  
Author Wavefolder and Frequency Shifter
insoul8
I want to add a dedicated wavefolder and frequency shifter to my setup and was curious what you guys thought of MI Warps with the Parasite firmware. The alternative being something like a uFold (or maybe a Serge VCM) and a E560 (FSH-1 if i could ever find one for a good price.) Aside from being limited to one function at a time with the Warps, how does it stand up to more dedicated modules with respect to sound and flexibility? On paper, the Warps seems like a no brainer honestly.

Up to this point I was just using the wavefolder built into my Shapeshifter but it has become super noisy and I wouldn't mind the added options of a more dedicated module.
cptnal
You could do a lot worse. I'd say Warps is a no brainer in any circs.

Certainly worth it for the frequency shifter. I don't use the wave folders often, but that doesn't mean they're not good. I think there was an update to Parasite recently which makes improvements to one of those algorithms, but I haven't tried it.

I have a uFold (same circuit as found in Shapeshifter) and just scored me one of these fellas:

https://www.modulargrid.net/e/dpw-design-mOeg-wf-1

The controls are a bit counter-intuitive to my brain, and I think it'll take me a while to get the feel of it, but it sounds nice and has (from what I can tell) quite a unique feature set.
lohacker
I was in your exact situation and ended up finding a Warps for frequency shifter (which is not here yet). As for wavefolder I also use the one in the SS or the RS Wave Multiplier but mainly with the other serge stuff I have. Sometimes I patch the SOB filter which has an internal wavefolder and/or the disting too that doesn't so bad after all. Another one I'd love to try is the Bastl Timber.
insoul8
lohacker wrote:
I was in your exact situation and ended up finding a Warps for frequency shifter (which is not here yet). As for wavefolder I also use the one in the SS or the RS Wave Multiplier but mainly with the other serge stuff I have. Sometimes I patch the SOB filter which has an internal wavefolder and/or the disting too that doesn't so bad after all. Another one I'd love to try is the Bastl Timber.

Does the R*S stuff play nice with other eurorack modules?
lohacker
Yes in general, but obviously depends on the brand. Sometimes you have to attenuate a bit or use positive only signals for some inputs
luketeaford
I am a HUGE fan of the VCM and it's no problem at all to combine it with other Euro modules.

That said, the Bastl Timber looks promising and exciting to me, too.
starthief
Warps is good, but as a wavefolder it does sound different from analog folders -- very much like FM. Which can be nice, but sometimes an analog folder is more appropriate. It's nice to have both.

I actually sold my warps after I A/B tested it against E352's wavefolding, and had a Hertz Donut for the TZFM stuff. And then months later, I missed it and got another one. I don't use it that often, but I like it when I do.
insoul8
Thanks guys. I think I might keep them separate then. Hadn’t heard about the Timber until now. Looks pretty great for the size and price. Crossfade adds a lot to it. VCM is always in the running but at more than twice the size and almost twice the price, the Timber seems the more likely option. Now, do I try and find a Cwejman freq shift or just go for the E560? I’m tired of trying to use my outboard freq shifter that can’t handle modular levels directly (but does at least have cv.)
Summa
I use WMD/SSF's Ultrafold for wave shaping and Encore Electronics Frequency Shifter, pretty happy about both I'd say.
insoul8
Summa wrote:
I use WMD/SSF's Ultrafold for wave shaping and Encore Electronics Frequency Shifter, pretty happy about both I'd say.

Thanks! I wasn't that taken with the ultrafold personally but I will be sure to give the Encore a look. Hadn't seen that one before.
starthief
Antimatter Audio Crossfold is my favorite folder by far, but I admit I haven't tried them all. I briefly tried an Ultrafold at Knobcon, and had a uFold for a while.
MvK
starthief wrote:
Antimatter Audio Crossfold is my favorite folder by far, but I admit I haven't tried them all. I briefly tried an Ultrafold at Knobcon, and had a uFold for a while.

I'd love to try that one. Can it also be smooth and subtle like the R*S or toppobrillo? (those are too big for me)
moremagic
the triple wave folder would be worth three times the HP

a little surprised i just boxed up my ufold instead of throwing it away after i A/B'ed em
timoka
i'm always surprised how different wavefolders sound, especially in the tamed low settings. and since i mostly work with sine waves, a good waveshaper is crucial for me, therefore i own quite alot of wavefolders:
toppobrillo twf, r*s vcm, r*s tws, ufold, A-137 Wave Multiplier I, nonlinear circuits timbre. i could try warps and the stg wavefolder, hated warps and liked the stg. i think i wrote that in alot of threads before, but the best wavefolder section is imo in the dpo, that thing sings to me! would like to try the bastl and tiptop folder.

for frequency shifting i had the synth tech e560 and still have the cwejman fsh-1, both sound very nice but as soon as you start modulating in audio rate i preferred the fsh-1. again warps sounded absolute shit to me.
starthief
MvK wrote:
I'd love to try that one. Can it also be smooth and subtle like the R*S or toppobrillo? (those are too big for me)

I haven't tried those two, but yeah, it can do subtle.
Shledge
I haven't had an issue with warps for either.
patilon
i had E560 and Warps.. for me the pitchshifting quality is totally equal on both and is quite okay in general but i didn´t like that both of them are absoluteley not fine-tunable when up to audiorate, that´s why i got a FSH-1, which gets me all the control from low to high frequency and soundquality is also superior but of course..

favourite wavefolder for me -> toppobrillo triple wave folder, VCM (wave multiplier?) is also very nice but less organic sounding, more electricity-like/aggressive.
Multi Grooves
Toppobrillo TWF user here and it sounds great.
Outside of it I'd take a look at the the NLC Timbre & Timbre. And possibly Vintage Synth Lab's AWM-3. Possibly the most dense eurorack module but audio examples were frustratingly sparse.
ddoyen
I've had the ufold, FM Aid, and ultra fold but never stuck with any of them. The VCM is my favorite hands down. Lots of patch points for experimenting and I just prefer the sound. Plays nice with everything I have. Zero issues.
insoul8
Thanks guys, I'm leaning towards the VCM or Bastl at this point. I think I've listened to and researched all of the others mentioned here and more. Those two seem to be what I'm after. Now I just have to determine if the smaller, cheaper Bastl is enough or if I want to go with the VCM. I do really like the xfade ability of the Timber.

Re the freq shifter, I think I will wait until I can find a FSH-1 unless someone offers up an E560 for trade in my FS/FT post. Thanks for all the advice.
digitalganesha
I'm pretty picky about wave folders and my personal pick of the lot is the TipTop Fold. Sounds incredible and the sub octaves are a great addition. I think the price is a steal too.
insoul8
digitalganesha wrote:
I'm pretty picky about wave folders and my personal pick of the lot is the TipTop Fold. Sounds incredible and the sub octaves are a great addition. I think the price is a steal too.

It is indeed a steal but i wonder if the sub octave generators are going to be that useful for me when i already have an AJH Ring SM. I guess it would be nice to have when i'm just using the Ring SM as a mixer but i kind of thought it would be redundant for me specifically so i hadn't really been considering it. But still a great option and from what I have heard, a really great sound.

How do you guys think the Doepfer A-137-1 compares?
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules  
Page 1 of 1