MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Information
Happy holidays! Please see the year-end funding drive post in the Announcements subforum. Thanks and all my love to you beautiful people.

Anyone on here using a Calrec mixer?
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> General Gear  
Author Anyone on here using a Calrec mixer?
wonkychris
I've been looking at Calrec M3 mixer offered locally. Its spec is pretty much ideal for me

I have found a lot of discussion on how great the preamps are but not really much comment on the eq and comp/limiters, or how these boards are for mixing electronic music and pushing them hard.

Have you used one?

(This board has pq5122 mic channels, pq5123 stereo mix channels, dl3678-2 stereo comp/limiters)
doombient.music
A friend of mine has one of those smaller Calrecs (not sure whether it's an M3), and he is very happy with it (and I must confess I envy him a little bit...).

He's more into NIN-type stuff musically.

Stephen
ObsoleteModular
Very well regarded consoles. Spoken of in same breath as SSL, Neve, AMEK etc.

Tiny bit from link below

"A lot of ex-broadcast Calrec consoles have flooded the market in recent years. Beautifully made though they are, they are designed for broadcast and have a whole load of baloney going on that is useless for music recording. Additionally, they often arrive without patchbays (and require MAJOR installation) and components are surface mounted, making servicing without special tools and skills pretty much impossible. Despite this, they’re fantastically well-made and reliable, so offer those on budget prepared to work round the broadcastiness of the design a very high quality desk at a very affordable price. Usually a bit of a project, though, to be honest."

https://www.proaudioeurope.com/info/funky-junk-guides/guide-analogue-m ixing-consoles
wonkychris
Cheers guys. I saw that info regarding Calrec stuff. I have had a bit of a play with it. Ran some stems through it of a track I've been working on and it did seem good. Proper EQ so you could be really aggressive with boosts and it doesn't sound aweful. Comp/limiters were doing it for me, but I don't have any posh outboard so don't really know what great stuff sounds like. I also tried a mic through it which sounded good - to my ears.

I guess I was hoping for a bit of encouragement from a regular user to join the Calrec gang as its a proper step up for me.
ObsoleteModular
No direct experiece myself but I've a friend who owns a good Amek desk (so knows wheat from chaff) who pointed me to that article and as far as he was concerned, any console mentioned in it is the proverbial mutt's nuts.
BugBrand
If it is in good condition, has the right features for you and you can afford it, I'm absolutely sure it'd be very good. Personally I'd love a nice Calrec, no question.
unrecordings
Calrec M Series isn't surface mount - it's through hole. I've a rack of M Series compressors & limiters, they're fantastic
tron23
A clear example of the general character of the mixer, mainly the Minimixer, can be examined on Aphex Twin Korg funk 5 demo track. Assuming we all know the Korg sound characteristics(on those models used in the track, volcabeats minilogue etc.) it is prominent that the Carlec has a very forward, punchy, SSL like quality in sound. Guinness ftw!
wonkychris
unrecordings wrote:
Calrec M Series isn't surface mount - it's through hole. I've a rack of M Series compressors & limiters, they're fantastic

That's great to know, thanks! The comp/limiters are of great interest to me.
wonkychris
tron23 wrote:
A clear example of the general character of the mixer, mainly the Minimixer, can be examined on Aphex Twin Korg funk 5 demo track. Assuming we all know the Korg sound characteristics(on those models used in the track, volcabeats minilogue etc.) it is prominent that the Carlec has a very forward, punchy, SSL like quality in sound. Guinness ftw!

I knew RDJ uses these, part of what got me interested, but I didn't realise he had used one on that track. Weirdly I actually listened to that track a few nights ago whilst reading RDJ interviewing the Korg designer guy. I shall re-listen more attentively this time!
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> General Gear  
Page 1 of 1