MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Modes: 21 eurorack cheat sheets for iOS & web
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next [all]
Author Modes: 21 eurorack cheat sheets for iOS & web
th0mas
Sunden wrote:
Just submitted my first ever pull request on GitHub!

Added Just Friends 6 modes and 6 run modes. Hopefully will get around to adding Just Type as well at some point. Also looking at Warps Parasites and Grids' Settings page...

At some point I might also try to tackle reformatting Onament and Crime's html manual for Modes... would be pretty ace! Unless some other brave soul wants to...

Awesome! Thank you so much!

If you want to sort of announce and track progress on specific modules the best spot to do it would be github issues on the repository. I'll make a few issues to track the ones I'm thinking of doing next so nobody else starts on them.
sko87pro
This app continues to be great, I am glad I bought it. I am getting more value from my Distings because of this. I recommend this app to anyone who's picking up a Disting. (Can't wait for Braids to appear in the list of modules!)

Any chance for these Feature Requests, please?

Favourites "star"
This would let you click star on a mode that you like or use, and then it would be available in a Favourites list for that module, say in alphabetic order.

Find
A number of people in this thread liked this idea of a Search function:

Quote:
So I can search for “noise”, and Modes tells me:
B1 Sample and Hold
H7 Noise

I suggest Search just needs to be within a module, because I don't want to see results for several modules I don't own. The results above are Disting.

Any chance? These would be great additions.

Thanks th0mas for this helpful app!
Audiodog
Really good app and pleased to see it being developed. I purchased early on and have been using it frequently for Distings

Loving the addition of Mutable modules - would love to see the 'Color Blind firmware' lights added to the instructions - always difficult to remember which LED flashing or brightness combination refers to red, green, yellow etc.

Color Blind firmware is available for most of the MI modules now. Details over on the MI forum

Thx for considering this
th0mas
Hi guys, thanks for the feedback.

There's a new version of the app in review that brings the total number of modules to 9 - adding Braids, Disting mk3, and Peaks. It was just approved by Apple and should be available globally by tomorrow.

I'm currently working on app features, instead of more cheat sheets, specifically:
- only show modules on the main list that the user has selected that they own
- favorites
- search

I added a module documentation issue for the colour blind modes here: https://github.com/boourns/synthmodes/issues/8 If someone wants to work on it, it would be pretty easy to build. Otherwise I'll get to it eventually.
IstvanM
This is great work, keep it up!
bengersfood
Fabulous update. Thanks!
feedbackl00p
feedbackl00p
Are forum users aware that this app charges $7 to reprint open source documentation, and that the original authors arent even mentioned?

Does the writer of Parasites know he isnt mentioned anywhere, even though his entire documentation has been cut and paste into the app.

To reiterate, the author of Parasites doesnt charge for his firmware or his document. This app maker has taken the documentation, has not mentioned the author anywhere and is charging $7 for it.

He says hes ''open sourced" the cheat sheets, but nowhwere do they contain the original atttribution to the author. Im not sure the author even understands what open source is and the rules about its use.

This feels like naked profiteering from others work, or have I got the wrong end of the stick here?
th0mas
feedbackl00p wrote:
Are forum users aware that this app charges $7 to reprint open source documentation, and that the original authors arent even mentioned?

Does the writer of Parasites know he isnt mentioned anywhere, even though his entire documentation has been cut and paste into the app.

To reiterate, the author of Parasites doesnt charge for his firmware or his document. This app maker has taken the documentation, has not mentioned the author anywhere and is charging $7 for it.

He says hes ''open sourced" the cheat sheets, but nowhwere do they contain the original atttribution to the author. Im not sure the author even understands what open source is and the rules about its use.

This feels like naked profiteering from others work, or have I got the wrong end of the stick here?

Hey guy, could you keep it on Reddit? Anyways I'm in the process of messaging Erstlaub (who wrote the Clouds Parasites cheat sheet which I based the documentation I wrote on), who is not the author of Clouds Parasites) to either get his permission or request to change content.

The rest of your accusations are false
sko87pro
Quote:
I'm currently working on app features, instead of more cheat sheets, specifically:
- only show modules on the main list that the user has selected that they own
- favorites
- search

Fantastic news. And Braids too, perfect!

Nice work.
feedbackl00p
th0mas wrote:
feedbackl00p wrote:

Hey guy, could you keep it on Reddit? Anyways I'm in the process of messaging Erstlaub (who wrote the Clouds Parasites cheat sheet which I based the documentation I wrote on), who is not the author of Clouds Parasites) to either get his permission or request to change content.

The rest of your accusations are false

How big of you to ask a content creator for permission after profiting from their work. Someone who cared about open source standards would do this before.

And I’ll discuss this where I like. You’re blatantly flaunting OS standards against the spirit of the thing and attention needs to be brought to it.

And are you telling me you haven’t even gotten permission from Parasites author to reprint their documentation. You don’t need permission from someone who just reformatted it. It’s obvious you don’t care about any of this.
th0mas
feedbackl00p wrote:

And I’ll discuss this where I like. You’re blatantly flaunting OS standards against the spirit of the thing and attention needs to be brought to it.

And are you telling me you haven’t even gotten permission from Parasites author to reprint their documentation. You don’t need permission from someone who just reformatted it. It’s obvious you don’t care about any of this.

I didn't reprint the Parasites author's documentation. It's obvious you don't understand any of this. We covered this on Reddit, go look at all your posts with negative karma if you forgot.

Also stop saying I'm flaunting OS standards when I went out of my way to open source my work. My work. The content I wrote.

You said on Reddit that if the app were 99c you would be thanking me and using it, so I think it's clear your outrage is actually at that 6$ price differential. I can't really help you there.

This'll be my last reply to your accusations. I'm going to go back to adding features to the app and try to ignore your hatred over $6. Have a nice day.
Shledge
I'd love entries for Warps/Frames parasite, otherwise good work! cool
dan_k
Purchased a while back. Very handy, makes my disting so much more useable.

Thanks for doing this!
Todai
Awesome! Lazy reader here and it's probably up there, already (?) so +1 for Android...
th0mas
Hi again!

Version 1.3 was just approved on the iOS App Store. This release lets you hide modules from the main page, favorite pages, and text search. In the documentation, I've added "info" pages for each module that provides a basic description and links to the module/firmware authors.

I've also been contacting module and firmware manufacturers to show them the app, everyone who has responded has been very positive about the application. If you want to see a list of people who have responded as such they are listed on the front page of the documentation github README https://github.com/boourns/synthmodes

Thanks everyone for your continued support. More features and modules coming soon smile
sko87pro
Thanks for the hide, favourite and search features, these are very useful.

I think there’s a bug with Search, could you have a look?

If you search for min or max in Disting, it will find many entries because the parameter box usually contains the title text of “min” and “max”.

As a test if you search for “color” in Braids, it will find every single mode of Braids because “Color” is the parameter title text. It’s called color!

I think you can find other examples most probably.

So I think the search function needs to ignore repeated parameter titles that are headings in most or all of the modes. It’s not helpful when these are returned in the search results...

Hope this makes sense and you can fix it?

Cheers, love the app
Azarius
Bought this when you first announced it. It really is very handy and keeps getting better and better! Just wanted to thank you for all your hard work on this very useful app.
th0mas
sko87pro wrote:
Thanks for the hide, favourite and search features, these are very useful.

If you search for min or max in Disting, it will find many entries because the parameter box usually contains the title text of “min” and “max”.

As a test if you search for “color” in Braids, it will find every single mode of Braids because “Color” is the parameter title text. It’s called color!

I think you can find other examples most probably.

So I think the search function needs to ignore repeated parameter titles that are headings in most or all of the modes. It’s not helpful when these are returned in the search results...

Hope this makes sense and you can fix it?

Cheers, love the app

That is too bad, but I'm not going to be fixing it at least in the short term, sorry. Each mode document is an HTML file and search just finds what documents have the word (ignoring HTML tags themselves). The search engine has no awareness of what the content is.

Do you have a worse example where this problem wastes user time? In my mind searching for "color" isn't particularly insightful even if it returned the right results, no?
th0mas
Azarius wrote:
Bought this when you first announced it. It really is very handy and keeps getting better and better! Just wanted to thank you for all your hard work on this very useful app.

Thank you!!
th0mas
Hey everyone!

Modes v1.4 was just approved by Apple so you should see the update available over the next 24 hours.

Features added:
- icons in module lists for easier identification
- swipe left/right on pages to navigate to previous/next pages

Modules added:
- Warps / Warps Parasites
- Peaks Dead Man's Catch
- Erica Synths Pico Logic (contributed!)

Next up, icons for the rest of the modules and more modules. Cheers!
sko87pro
Quote:

Quote:
That is too bad, but I'm not going to be fixing it at least in the short term, sorry. Each mode document is an HTML file and search just finds what documents have the word (ignoring HTML tags themselves). The search engine has no awareness of what the content is.

The example I gave of "color" was to prove the bug with search - it was just a test which found every mode of Braids.

I haven't programmed iOS but in principle it's not hard to add attributes to the HTML to indicate which <P> content should be ignored for search purposes.

I think overall the search function is still very useable, as long as you are aware of this behaviour. Probably for some modules the issue will be worse than others. It certainly confused me with Disting when looking for min, max functions (because those are also parameter headings).

Hope this helps,
th0mas
sko87pro wrote:

The example I gave of "color" was to prove the bug with search - it was just a test which found every mode of Braids.

I haven't programmed iOS but in principle it's not hard to add attributes to the HTML to indicate which <P> content should be ignored for search purposes.

I think overall the search function is still very useable, as long as you are aware of this behaviour. Probably for some modules the issue will be worse than others. It certainly confused me with Disting when looking for min, max functions (because those are also parameter headings).

Hope this helps,

Thanks, the min/max example is a worse situation.

I agree that that is how to fix it, the issue is that I'll have to update ~400 HTML files to add those attributes. I'll write some scripts to automate it per module but it's still enough work.

Thanks for the other example!

Cheers
Franktree
Purchased! It would be great to see Ornament and Crime added, since it's got a fair amount to remember about it as well.
th0mas
Franktree wrote:
Purchased! It would be great to see Ornament and Crime added, since it's got a fair amount to remember about it as well.

I agree. I have permission from one of the authors, but not the other yet, to use the O_C manual as a basis. I suspect he's just busy and don't want to bug him too much.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next [all]
Page 3 of 6