MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Modes: 21 eurorack cheat sheets for iOS & web
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules  
Author Modes: 21 eurorack cheat sheets for iOS & web
th0mas
Hi

Modes is an unofficial phone-friendly cheat sheet for iOS and web.

It currently supports 22 modules/firmwares:

Expert Sleepers:
- Disting mk3
- Disting mk4

Make Noise:
- Morphagene
- Tempi

Mannequins:
- Just Friends
- W/

Mutable Instruments:
- Braids (stock and Renaissance firmware)
- Clouds (stock and Parasites firmware)
- Frames (stock and Parasites)
- Peaks (stock and Dead Man's Catch)
- Plaits
- Streams
- Rings
- Warps (stock and Parasites)

Erica Synths:
- Blackhole DSP 2
- Pico Logic
- Pico Seq

TipTop Audio
- ONE
- TG ONE

Ornament & Crime
- Stock

Search by text or mode type to quickly get the most out of your module. Favorite pages for quicker reference.

Get rid of your binder of printed PDFs, SynthModes is faster and easier to use.

Modes for iOS is not officially endorsed or supported by any modular manufacturer.

Modes lets you see the input/output and parameters of all module modes, and sort them either by order or where applicable, by their module type.

I made this app after being frustrated with the lack of phone friendly manuals for my disting mk4.

It is available on the iOS app store here:
https://itunes.apple.com/ca/app/modes/id1445358435?mt=8

A web version is available at https://synthmodes.com

The cheat sheets are now open source to promote reuse and contribution. You can find them at https://github.com/boourns/synthmodes

Please use this thread for feedback and feature requests on the application. Thanks!
insoul8
Very cool! Thanks. I had actually thought about trying to do something like this.
naturarerum
damn, I should have kept my disting! I sold it because I didn't like spending so much time skimming through the manual. this is a really good idea.
bemushroomed
Looks good! Will try.
brandonlogic
would love one of these for the MK3!
lisa
Purchased!
Oblivion
Too slow for the promo codes, but I'll definitely check this out.
jarcorbo
Purchased! Thanks for your work!
mcpepe
Do you think an Android version could be possible?
th0mas
Thanks everyone for the support!

mcpepe wrote:
Do you think an Android version could be possible?

Yes, I have some work to do internally to solidify the internal data format to support multiple modules before expanding to other platforms.
Oblivion
nanners

Feature request - be able to scroll through the algos with a side swipe.

Guinness ftw!
selfdestroyer
What a great idea. Thanks for the heads up.
Naenyn
Very nice! Beats my pdf cheat sheet.

Any chance for an Android version?
nedrush
Purchased. Great idea.
strangegravity
Android please
aquestionoftime
BOUGHT!
Tubefund
SlayerBadger!
sleepgardens
If you are going to do a cheat sheet app for multiple modules and for android I will be happy to purchase it smile
man_hands
Just purchased. Thanks for making this! thumbs up
Sunden
Purchased as well!

I don’t have iOS development experience so I don’t know how hard this would be to do, but it would be very cool if there were to be a way either for users to add their own local modules/modes, or if there was a simple format for people to post text files or something that you could add to the codebase...

I know it’s open source but once the infrastructure for switching modules is there I’m sure lots of people would be excited to contribute the data for specific modules.
tau_seti
Purchased! Plus one on adding the MK3.
Naenyn
A couple simple feature requests:
    - Notes: it’d be nice to have the ability to add some notes on each mode.. so as I try patching using a mode, I can keep track of what seemed particularly useful or interesting.
    - Favs: I’d also like the ability to favorite or star modes that I find particularly useful so I can find them again quickly.
pines
Purchased... thanks! Beats flapping around with the pdf.
10 Miles High
So sad it needs iOS 11 .....

waah

10 Mh
BenA718
Awesome idea! I have iPad and Android, however... :(
Shledge
iPads can run iPhone apps
BenA718
Shledge wrote:
iPads can run iPhone apps

I may be out of date, but some apps don’t scale from iPhone to iPad. It will run but will be a tiny window in the middle of your screen.
Shledge
They scale as of iOS 10
Umcorps
I bought it on my iPhone. Same version installs and scales up to full screen on the iPad.

+2 for the suggestions to add support for earlier versions of Disting and to allow a user editable section for the favourites bank.

But much better than wading through the PDF manual thumbs up
a100user
Picked up a copy, thanks
sko87pro
Just purchased.

Great idea!

This is a small investment to make me get much more value from Disting.

Hope you can keep the contents up to date with firmware changes.

+3 Can you add support for Mk2 Disting? (I think modes 1-16 are the same as Mk4?)

Any chance of a search function? So I can search for “noise”, and Modes tells me:
B1 Sample and Hold
H7 Noise
selfdestroyer
sko87pro wrote:

Any chance of a search function? So I can search for “noise”, and Modes tells me:
B1 Sample and Hold
H7 Noise

Agree, this would be awesome.
Sunden
selfdestroyer wrote:
sko87pro wrote:

B1 Sample and Hold
H7 Noise

Agree, this would be awesome.

Yes! A search function would be great!

I also love the user editable notes idea!

Using it has already made me realize how much I wish I had a single reference app I could use for all my modules... Clouds Parasites firmwares especially!
th0mas
Sunden wrote:

Using it has already made me realize how much I wish I had a single reference app I could use for all my modules... Clouds Parasites firmwares especially!

Thanks everyone for your support. I like all the ideas brought up but FYI this is my focus right now, expanding the app to make it easy to add more and more module content. Once I have an Android app released I'm going to open source the module data so that anyone can contribute and reuse it. Perhaps this can be an opportunity to extract a ton of knowledge out of 80+ page threads and decentralize it.
Audiodog
Looks great. Purchased thx
Naenyn
@OP: The K1 Wavetable VCO is missing Parameter 3. Dead Banana
th0mas
Naenyn wrote:
@OP: The K1 Wavetable VCO is missing Parameter 3. Dead Banana

Ugh, thanks. Fixed, will be in the next release (probably late this week).

Also, what a cool parameter, I didn't realize you could get dual wavetable VCOs and detuned. Building this app has been like studying in school for a test by making notes, I've learnt so much about the capabilities of the disting that I hadn't realized existed until now.
amalthea
Wow! This is such a great tool. Just purchased!
amalthea
And ditto on the requests for a search function, and also user notes. Would be great to be able to attach a note with typical settings/uses, a way to remember happy accidents, etc. SlayerBadger!
bengersfood
Will buy if it can be made mk3 friendly
sko87pro
@OP,

There’s a little bug in M3 Logic.

The parameter values for M3 should go:

-1 (see the typo on this line)
Etc.

Here’s a pic:

insoul8
This app would lend itself very well to use with Plaits/Braids. And I guess a lot of other Mutable modules too.
ambientnoise
insoul8 wrote:
This app would lend itself very well to use with Plaits/Braids. And I guess a lot of other Mutable modules too.

I also would like to have one for Plaits/Braids too, as I am a new user to both.
th0mas
I've got good news and bad news:

Good news! I've added Rings and Clouds to the app, and more are definitely to come. The update is live on the App Store but can take 24hrs to go global.
I've open sourced the cheat sheets themselves at http://github.com/boourns/synthmodes . Hopefully some people will be interested in contributing more or reusing them.

I made a web version of the cheat sheets available at https://synthmodes.com. Theres more tweaking to do before it's great, but it's a start.

Bad news:

I've decided to not build an android version. Sorry. I spent a day on it and just.. I don't use android, I don't like the development options on android, I get no joy from building on the platform, only anxiety around API comparability.

With the content on web and now open source if someone wants to build it, go ahead.

I'm going to focus on the feature requests on iOS and adding more cheat sheets.

Thanks!
sko87pro
I thought there were frameworks for building cross-platform mobile apps from single source code, especially if the app is largely about rendering HTML content? Phonegap? Xamarin? The app is kind-of an embedded browser, right? But what do I know about it!!

I’m a happy buyer of Modes for iOS. Could you add Braids please, that would be really great!
bedhed3000
th0mas wrote:

Bad news:

I've decided to not build an android version. Sorry. I spent a day on it and just.. I don't use android, I don't like the development options on android, I get no joy from building on the platform, only anxiety around API comparability.

With the content on web and now open source if someone wants to build it, go ahead.

I'm going to focus on the feature requests on iOS and adding more cheat sheets.

Thanks!

Have you heard of Nativescript? It basically allows you to build a fully native app (not a web view) for both platforms (iOS and Android) in the same codebase using Javascript and HTML-like markup. This app looks pretty light-weight, so it might be a good candidate. I realize you probably put a ton of work into building it on native iOS technology, but you might consider switching over if enough people request an Android version. Porting your Swift/Obj C code should be pretty easy unless you have absolutely no experience with JS. Just an idea.

Also, is this open-sourced? You might find someone to add an Android version if it's on github or whatever. I might even find time to take a crack at it in Nativescript (I also have no desire to learn the Android dev platform).

Edit: I see there is a web version now. Cool.
th0mas
Thanks for the link!

I do know JS, so I considered react native. But after a day of fighting dependency hell to build a proof of concept I decided to stop. No matter what I'm keeping the swift version as it's the only first class option that can do things like proper split view, 3d touch, and have great battery performance. So I would be making features for the platform I use and then feel obligated to port the features to the platform I don't use in an environment I don't enjoy.

With the cheat sheets open source maybe someone else will build and maintain the Android app, until then the web version will have to do.
Shledge
The easiest solution is to just make it a responsive web app. Stuff like React JS isn't particularly difficult to learn and you could even have a backend system in place to add entries for each category, along with linking to relevant video etc. Both platforms have decent support for this.

For displaying information like this, making it a proper app seems a bit pointless.
Sunden
Just submitted my first ever pull request on GitHub!

Added Just Friends 6 modes and 6 run modes. Hopefully will get around to adding Just Type as well at some point. Also looking at Warps Parasites and Grids' Settings page...

At some point I might also try to tackle reformatting Onament and Crime's html manual for Modes... would be pretty ace! Unless some other brave soul wants to...
Portabella
this is so great ! - thanks a lot thumbs up
th0mas
Sunden wrote:
Just submitted my first ever pull request on GitHub!

Added Just Friends 6 modes and 6 run modes. Hopefully will get around to adding Just Type as well at some point. Also looking at Warps Parasites and Grids' Settings page...

At some point I might also try to tackle reformatting Onament and Crime's html manual for Modes... would be pretty ace! Unless some other brave soul wants to...

Awesome! Thank you so much!

If you want to sort of announce and track progress on specific modules the best spot to do it would be github issues on the repository. I'll make a few issues to track the ones I'm thinking of doing next so nobody else starts on them.
sko87pro
This app continues to be great, I am glad I bought it. I am getting more value from my Distings because of this. I recommend this app to anyone who's picking up a Disting. (Can't wait for Braids to appear in the list of modules!)

Any chance for these Feature Requests, please?

Favourites "star"
This would let you click star on a mode that you like or use, and then it would be available in a Favourites list for that module, say in alphabetic order.

Find
A number of people in this thread liked this idea of a Search function:

Quote:
So I can search for “noise”, and Modes tells me:
B1 Sample and Hold
H7 Noise

I suggest Search just needs to be within a module, because I don't want to see results for several modules I don't own. The results above are Disting.

Any chance? These would be great additions.

Thanks th0mas for this helpful app!
Audiodog
Really good app and pleased to see it being developed. I purchased early on and have been using it frequently for Distings

Loving the addition of Mutable modules - would love to see the 'Color Blind firmware' lights added to the instructions - always difficult to remember which LED flashing or brightness combination refers to red, green, yellow etc.

Color Blind firmware is available for most of the MI modules now. Details over on the MI forum

Thx for considering this
th0mas
Hi guys, thanks for the feedback.

There's a new version of the app in review that brings the total number of modules to 9 - adding Braids, Disting mk3, and Peaks. It was just approved by Apple and should be available globally by tomorrow.

I'm currently working on app features, instead of more cheat sheets, specifically:
- only show modules on the main list that the user has selected that they own
- favorites
- search

I added a module documentation issue for the colour blind modes here: https://github.com/boourns/synthmodes/issues/8 If someone wants to work on it, it would be pretty easy to build. Otherwise I'll get to it eventually.
IstvanM
This is great work, keep it up!
bengersfood
Fabulous update. Thanks!
feedbackl00p
feedbackl00p
Are forum users aware that this app charges $7 to reprint open source documentation, and that the original authors arent even mentioned?

Does the writer of Parasites know he isnt mentioned anywhere, even though his entire documentation has been cut and paste into the app.

To reiterate, the author of Parasites doesnt charge for his firmware or his document. This app maker has taken the documentation, has not mentioned the author anywhere and is charging $7 for it.

He says hes ''open sourced" the cheat sheets, but nowhwere do they contain the original atttribution to the author. Im not sure the author even understands what open source is and the rules about its use.

This feels like naked profiteering from others work, or have I got the wrong end of the stick here?
th0mas
feedbackl00p wrote:
Are forum users aware that this app charges $7 to reprint open source documentation, and that the original authors arent even mentioned?

Does the writer of Parasites know he isnt mentioned anywhere, even though his entire documentation has been cut and paste into the app.

To reiterate, the author of Parasites doesnt charge for his firmware or his document. This app maker has taken the documentation, has not mentioned the author anywhere and is charging $7 for it.

He says hes ''open sourced" the cheat sheets, but nowhwere do they contain the original atttribution to the author. Im not sure the author even understands what open source is and the rules about its use.

This feels like naked profiteering from others work, or have I got the wrong end of the stick here?

Hey guy, could you keep it on Reddit? Anyways I'm in the process of messaging Erstlaub (who wrote the Clouds Parasites cheat sheet which I based the documentation I wrote on), who is not the author of Clouds Parasites) to either get his permission or request to change content.

The rest of your accusations are false
sko87pro
Quote:
I'm currently working on app features, instead of more cheat sheets, specifically:
- only show modules on the main list that the user has selected that they own
- favorites
- search

Fantastic news. And Braids too, perfect!

Nice work.
feedbackl00p
th0mas wrote:
feedbackl00p wrote:

Hey guy, could you keep it on Reddit? Anyways I'm in the process of messaging Erstlaub (who wrote the Clouds Parasites cheat sheet which I based the documentation I wrote on), who is not the author of Clouds Parasites) to either get his permission or request to change content.

The rest of your accusations are false

How big of you to ask a content creator for permission after profiting from their work. Someone who cared about open source standards would do this before.

And I’ll discuss this where I like. You’re blatantly flaunting OS standards against the spirit of the thing and attention needs to be brought to it.

And are you telling me you haven’t even gotten permission from Parasites author to reprint their documentation. You don’t need permission from someone who just reformatted it. It’s obvious you don’t care about any of this.
th0mas
feedbackl00p wrote:

And I’ll discuss this where I like. You’re blatantly flaunting OS standards against the spirit of the thing and attention needs to be brought to it.

And are you telling me you haven’t even gotten permission from Parasites author to reprint their documentation. You don’t need permission from someone who just reformatted it. It’s obvious you don’t care about any of this.

I didn't reprint the Parasites author's documentation. It's obvious you don't understand any of this. We covered this on Reddit, go look at all your posts with negative karma if you forgot.

Also stop saying I'm flaunting OS standards when I went out of my way to open source my work. My work. The content I wrote.

You said on Reddit that if the app were 99c you would be thanking me and using it, so I think it's clear your outrage is actually at that 6$ price differential. I can't really help you there.

This'll be my last reply to your accusations. I'm going to go back to adding features to the app and try to ignore your hatred over $6. Have a nice day.
Shledge
I'd love entries for Warps/Frames parasite, otherwise good work! cool
dan_k
Purchased a while back. Very handy, makes my disting so much more useable.

Thanks for doing this!
Todai
Awesome! Lazy reader here and it's probably up there, already (?) so +1 for Android...
th0mas
Hi again!

Version 1.3 was just approved on the iOS App Store. This release lets you hide modules from the main page, favorite pages, and text search. In the documentation, I've added "info" pages for each module that provides a basic description and links to the module/firmware authors.

I've also been contacting module and firmware manufacturers to show them the app, everyone who has responded has been very positive about the application. If you want to see a list of people who have responded as such they are listed on the front page of the documentation github README https://github.com/boourns/synthmodes

Thanks everyone for your continued support. More features and modules coming soon smile
sko87pro
Thanks for the hide, favourite and search features, these are very useful.

I think there’s a bug with Search, could you have a look?

If you search for min or max in Disting, it will find many entries because the parameter box usually contains the title text of “min” and “max”.

As a test if you search for “color” in Braids, it will find every single mode of Braids because “Color” is the parameter title text. It’s called color!

I think you can find other examples most probably.

So I think the search function needs to ignore repeated parameter titles that are headings in most or all of the modes. It’s not helpful when these are returned in the search results...

Hope this makes sense and you can fix it?

Cheers, love the app
Azarius
Bought this when you first announced it. It really is very handy and keeps getting better and better! Just wanted to thank you for all your hard work on this very useful app.
th0mas
sko87pro wrote:
Thanks for the hide, favourite and search features, these are very useful.

If you search for min or max in Disting, it will find many entries because the parameter box usually contains the title text of “min” and “max”.

As a test if you search for “color” in Braids, it will find every single mode of Braids because “Color” is the parameter title text. It’s called color!

I think you can find other examples most probably.

So I think the search function needs to ignore repeated parameter titles that are headings in most or all of the modes. It’s not helpful when these are returned in the search results...

Hope this makes sense and you can fix it?

Cheers, love the app

That is too bad, but I'm not going to be fixing it at least in the short term, sorry. Each mode document is an HTML file and search just finds what documents have the word (ignoring HTML tags themselves). The search engine has no awareness of what the content is.

Do you have a worse example where this problem wastes user time? In my mind searching for "color" isn't particularly insightful even if it returned the right results, no?
th0mas
Azarius wrote:
Bought this when you first announced it. It really is very handy and keeps getting better and better! Just wanted to thank you for all your hard work on this very useful app.

Thank you!!
th0mas
Hey everyone!

Modes v1.4 was just approved by Apple so you should see the update available over the next 24 hours.

Features added:
- icons in module lists for easier identification
- swipe left/right on pages to navigate to previous/next pages

Modules added:
- Warps / Warps Parasites
- Peaks Dead Man's Catch
- Erica Synths Pico Logic (contributed!)

Next up, icons for the rest of the modules and more modules. Cheers!
sko87pro
Quote:

Quote:
That is too bad, but I'm not going to be fixing it at least in the short term, sorry. Each mode document is an HTML file and search just finds what documents have the word (ignoring HTML tags themselves). The search engine has no awareness of what the content is.

The example I gave of "color" was to prove the bug with search - it was just a test which found every mode of Braids.

I haven't programmed iOS but in principle it's not hard to add attributes to the HTML to indicate which <P> content should be ignored for search purposes.

I think overall the search function is still very useable, as long as you are aware of this behaviour. Probably for some modules the issue will be worse than others. It certainly confused me with Disting when looking for min, max functions (because those are also parameter headings).

Hope this helps,
th0mas
sko87pro wrote:

The example I gave of "color" was to prove the bug with search - it was just a test which found every mode of Braids.

I haven't programmed iOS but in principle it's not hard to add attributes to the HTML to indicate which <P> content should be ignored for search purposes.

I think overall the search function is still very useable, as long as you are aware of this behaviour. Probably for some modules the issue will be worse than others. It certainly confused me with Disting when looking for min, max functions (because those are also parameter headings).

Hope this helps,

Thanks, the min/max example is a worse situation.

I agree that that is how to fix it, the issue is that I'll have to update ~400 HTML files to add those attributes. I'll write some scripts to automate it per module but it's still enough work.

Thanks for the other example!

Cheers
Franktree
Purchased! It would be great to see Ornament and Crime added, since it's got a fair amount to remember about it as well.
th0mas
Franktree wrote:
Purchased! It would be great to see Ornament and Crime added, since it's got a fair amount to remember about it as well.

I agree. I have permission from one of the authors, but not the other yet, to use the O_C manual as a basis. I suspect he's just busy and don't want to bug him too much.
Franktree
th0mas wrote:
Franktree wrote:

I agree. I have permission from one of the authors, but not the other yet, to use the O_C manual as a basis. I suspect he's just busy and don't want to bug him too much.

Awesome. Fingers crossed the other author comes through soon.
Scott M2
Just bought it and am looking around. I like the flashing colours in the Pico Logic. A guide for Pico Seq would be great too. Cheers!
AThousandDetails
Hi man! Just bought the app, this is amazing! Braids, Peaks Dead Man, Disting MK4 in the house!

I wanted to request / advice some features which I think it will be OK and easy for you:

-Batumi Cheat Sheet (to remember all the quirks and modes)
-Shapeshifter Cheat Sheet
-Eloquencer Cheat Sheet
-SSF URA Patch Guide (would be insane this one, maybe talk to Bob Borries to help grin ?)

EDIT: Can you please add the Last page of Bob Borries (vo1t) to the Disting MK4 manual? In each section it would be cool to have the images, for example in B4 put the table of corresponding clock to each value, same for A6 and F6 to understand the quantizer modes... smile thanks!

In the future would be amazing to have Patch Guides too! This is awesome! Full support brother!
Shledge
I love the additions for Warps. cool

Is it possible to look into adding these?
- Frames/Frames parasite
- Streams
natureclubcassettes
AThousandDetails wrote:
-Shapeshifter Cheat Sheet

what would you need a cheat sheet for this module? the manual is an excellent reference and the module is pretty straightforward, especially after the most recent firmware update.
dan_k
Some potential suggestions:

The banks for the Radio Music would be handy:
https://github.com/TomWhitwell/RadioMusic/wiki/How-to-use-the-Radio-Mu sic-module

Cyclebox modes:

Such as this from wintchil
https://www.muffwiggler.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=428848&highlight=#42 8848

And this more detailed web app from from user grex
https://www.muffwiggler.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=76406&highlight=cyc
http://peterkosa.com/coe/

They both seem to be active so shouldn't be difficult to contact for possible inclusion.
Pighood
Purchased the everluvin FUCK out of that fap fap fap...
bengersfood
This is an excellent app and new additions are great.

One small piece of additional utility (at least for me) would be to add the basic mode and menu switching instructions for each module (or parasite) perhaps in the info tab or in a new tab for that express purpose.
th0mas
Woah, thanks for all the feedback and suggestions!

I've added the module requests to the Issues list on the github repo, you can roughly see my priority order here:

https://github.com/boourns/synthmodes/issues?q=is%3Aissue+is%3Aopen+so rt%3Acreated-asc

The goal of the app is to be a knob/LED reference guide for multipurpose modules, and to keep the scope minimal it's assumed the user has read (or is willing to read) the manual for their modules.

That being said, I agree a quick reminder on how to mode switch would be useful.

Instead of reproducing some other cheat sheet author's works I will add links to their cheatsheets off the info page. It won't be phone-formatted but it's less common information to need to lookup.

I did want to do Shapeshifter. I agree the manual is great, but as usual not phone formatted. I've emailed Intellijel asking for permission to reproduce parts of their manual, as I would want to include the wavetable images. Haven't heard back yet.
th0mas
Hi,

v1.5 was just approved by Apple and should be available in the next 24 hours.

It adds:
Plaits (contributed!)
Erica Synths Blackhole DSP 2 (contributed!)
Frames
Frames Parasites

Added icons for disting mk3 to make it easier to identify algorithms.
Modules list is now grouped by manufacturer.
Added some missing tags on Disting.

Let me know if you have issues with the app or content.

Thanks to all the module contributors!

Cheers,
Tom
Gonzbull
Heya,
Great app. Thanks for doing this.
Just a couple of typos.
-Disting MK4 info says MK3 at the start.
-Disting MK4 - H5 says H4 instead.
Cheers
th0mas
Gonzbull wrote:
Heya,
Great app. Thanks for doing this.
Just a couple of typos.
-Disting MK4 info says MK3 at the start.
-Disting MK4 - H5 says H4 instead.
Cheers

Ugh, thanks for letting me know! Will be fixed in 1.7.
kidkoexist
Purchased for Plaits, hoping for the addition of Make Noise stuff, primarily Morphagene and maybe some of those Maths function patches.

Euclidean Circles settings guide would be good too!
g0lem
Can I make a request?

E352 Cloud Terrarium

Really would like a reference for parameters coordinates per mode.

This little site is so helpful. Added it to the home screen of my phone already.
th0mas
Added Cloud Terrarium and Euclidean Circles to the list, thanks.

Regarding patch guides.. it would be a lot of work to reproduce existing excellent info sources and I don't think it adds much value to do that in the app compared to the original web page patch guides. However, perhaps a separate section, or a separate list on the modules page, that just links to the existing patch guides?
EPTC
This app is pretty dandy, thank you! Love that you include Dead Man's Catch here, too. Appreciated.
bedhed3000
How about Make Noise Tempi? It would be nice to have a quick reference for the button combos. I'd buy that for a dollar cool
srcodling
O&C hemisphere and Android are my suggestions. Especially Android app so I can give you some
KvotheKingkiller
th0mas wrote:
Hi,

v1.5 was just approved by Apple and should be available in the next 24 hours.

It adds:
Plaits (contributed!)
Erica Synths Blackhole DSP 2 (contributed!)
Frames
Frames Parasites

Added icons for disting mk3 to make it easier to identify algorithms.
Modules list is now grouped by manufacturer.
Added some missing tags on Disting.

Let me know if you have issues with the app or content.

Thanks to all the module contributors!

Cheers,
Tom

Plaits contributor here, just downloaded, came out great! thanks th0mas for the great work you've done with this. Will keep an eye out for any plaits content issues. Working on TINRS Tuesday next!

edit: ugh I'll try and get to switching the icons to svg so they not so blurry. sorry bout that!
KvotheKingkiller
kidkoexist wrote:
some of those Maths function patches.

hmm yea you mean like the ones in those pdf's that are floating around? I could look at this as well.

I remember having a bunch of different version v2 vs v3 and its wasn't immediately clear to me if the difference were cumulative or not, need to go through it. Can someone remind me which is the latest?
sko87pro
Quote:
EDIT: Can you please add the Last page of Bob Borries (vo1t) to the Disting MK4 manual? In each section it would be cool to have the images, for example in B4 put the table of corresponding clock to each value, same for A6 and F6 to understand the quantizer modes... smile thanks!

+1 for this. This would be really great because the Disting MK4 content is really very sparse, you’re supposed to recall (e.g.) sixteen quantiser modes numbered 0..15 and many other settings likewise. It kind of loses the value of Moses when you have to go looking on the web anyway for the info you need! Instead of duplicating Bob’s content, maybe you can provide Related Links in each page which launch an embedded browser so you can just read the content and tap “Done” to return directly to Modes?

I imagine this feature would be helpful to all modules and allows for linking to cheat sheets/patch notes as well.

Love the app.
th0mas
sko87pro wrote:
Quote:

+1 for this. This would be really great because the Disting MK4 content is really very sparse, you’re supposed to recall (e.g.) sixteen quantiser modes numbered 0..15 and many other settings likewise. It kind of loses the value of Moses when you have to go looking on the web anyway for the info you need! Instead of duplicating Bob’s content, maybe you can provide Related Links in each page which launch an embedded browser so you can just read the content and tap “Done” to return directly to Modes?

I imagine this feature would be helpful to all modules and allows for linking to cheat sheets/patch notes as well.

Love the app.

Yeah, you guys are right. I'll fill out more details on the parameters in the next release.
loydb
Waiting on O+C.
bodydouble
I've been following this thread lightly, so I might have missed how folks request things to be added, but I'd love to see a uBurst sheet for Parasites. For whatever reason, trying to use the cheatsheet for the fullsize Clouds for my uBurst always makes my brain hurt! Too many knob position differences and horizontal vs vertical LEDs zombie help
Placid Mouse
Great work

I think an example patch section would be really great, more for the complex analog stuff ie maths.
sko87pro
Quote:
Yeah, you guys are right. I'll fill out more details on the parameters in the next release.

Thanks th0mas that would be great for Disting. Also, support for Related Links would be a good addition, do you think? Community members could add these to individual pages.
g0lem
Another worthwhile request : Polaris Filter.
Umcorps
Typo alert

In Warps (Parasites) the Frequency Shifter screen says its the Binaural Doppler Panner.

The controls is shows are a mashup of the panner and the frequency shifter.
th0mas
Thanks everyone for the feedback, I'm going to do an update this week that just addresses bugs / missing information on existing modules before getting back into the module queue.

O+C, O+C hemispheres are on the queue list.

Regarding building up a list of Related Links, I would love to see that grow. I don't have time right now to focus on that but if someone has references they think should be added to some of the modules, please open an issue on the github repo and I can get them added https://github.com/boourns/synthmodes .

KvotheKingkiller wrote:

edit: ugh I'll try and get to switching the icons to svg so they not so blurry. sorry bout that!

Thanks so much for the contribution!

The list icons unfortunately cannot be SVG, however if you provide SVGs I can render PNGs that won't be blurry. The icons, regardless of pixel size, will be resized to 40 pts high in the app, so for Warps I made 80px high icons and they come out nice.

Quote:
Polaris Filter

What specifically should be documented on the Polaris filter? AFAIK the Mode button A, B, C, D just cycles through the number of filter poles for most of the modes, is there anything else?
g0lem
Polaris: Just the filter types (poles, empty slots, etc) in relation to the indicator lights.
Trebbers
Noticed an error in Clouds Parasites info section. The instructions on mode changing are not correct for the most recent version. It should be (c/p from the github):

Quote:
To switch mode, press both black buttons simultaneously. LEDs will blink orange; you can then press the Blend or Load/Save button to navigate forward/backward into the modes.
th0mas
Trebbers wrote:
Noticed an error in Clouds Parasites info section. The instructions on mode changing are not correct for the most recent version. It should be (c/p from the github):

Quote:
To switch mode, press both black buttons simultaneously. LEDs will blink orange; you can then press the Blend or Load/Save button to navigate forward/backward into the modes.

I just checked the code - long press also works, but I'll add the double press as well. Thanks.
th0mas
bodydouble wrote:
I've been following this thread lightly, so I might have missed how folks request things to be added, but I'd love to see a uBurst sheet for Parasites. For whatever reason, trying to use the cheatsheet for the fullsize Clouds for my uBurst always makes my brain hurt! Too many knob position differences and horizontal vs vertical LEDs zombie help

Next version will have a table of "knob name" - "what it does" on both clouds firmwares. I don't want to build a graphic display for uburst as well or we'll end up with (number of uburst variants) * (number of firmwares) clouds firmwares smile
th0mas
1.5.1 was just approved by Apple, so it should be available for update over the next 24 hours.

It adds missing tables like scales, key, some algorithm modes to both Disting versions. In the process I also fixed a number of bugs within the Disting cheat sheets.

It also fixes all the miscellaneous bugs reported previously, and clouds has an additional parameter -> function mapping to aid uburst/monsoon/etc users.

Also Disting mk4 now has icons.

Let me know if there's more missing that would be useful day to day.

EDIT: I see Disting mk4 4.10 just got released, the new changes will be reflected in the next update of the application. They are not in Modes 1.5.1.

Thanks
Tom
th0mas
Hi,

1.5.2 was just released, you should see the update over the next 24 hours.

Make Noise Tempi is added.
Disting mk4 is updated to firmware 4.10.

Let me know if anything's amiss!

Cheers
Tom
AThousandDetails
keep going man! All good here!

Anxious to see more modules added to the list smile And the Patch Guide... man when that happen it would be serious madness smile
bedhed3000
th0mas wrote:
Hi,

1.5.2 was just released, you should see the update over the next 24 hours.

Make Noise Tempi is added.
Disting mk4 is updated to firmware 4.10.

Let me know if anything's amiss!

Cheers
Tom

Dope. I'll be working with the Tempi cheat sheet later. Thanks!
Timmy
th0mas wrote:
Thanks everyone for the feedback, I'm going to do an update this week that just addresses bugs / missing information on existing modules before getting back into the module queue.

O+C, O+C hemispheres are on the queue list.

I dimly recall that I was contacted about permission to republish the O&C manual, but I'm not sure if I ever replied, and now I can't find the message anywhere.
th0mas
Hi Tim,

I just resent an email. Cheers!

edit: just to be clear, without your response I was intending on writing an O_C cheat sheet based on code / videos / getting one myself and learning it's usage, not basing it on your manual.
pinkflag16
Sorry if this has been asked already, but how about a button combo reference for Morphagene? I often confuse them if I don’t use it for a week or so.

Also, there have been various Maths example patch guides floating around out there. It would be nice to have those in a nice central reference like this.

Thanks for the app!
th0mas
pinkflag16 wrote:
Sorry if this has been asked already, but how about a button combo reference for Morphagene? I often confuse them if I don’t use it for a week or so.

I looked at Morphagene's manual, and I don't think I can document it properly without owning it and having it in front of me. It's just too complex. So if someone wants to write up, even in text format, the various modes and button combos, I can format it properly and add it to the app.

Quote:

Also, there have been various Maths example patch guides floating around out there. It would be nice to have those in a nice central reference like this.
Thanks for the app!

I'm still not sure how to get these into the app properly. I'm not going to copy and paste other content. I guess it would just be a link to the website hosting various patch guides? Maybe in the app / website but just as a separate list? It almost seems like the community is missing a wiki (and people who want to contribute to it...) where right now all the information is stuck in forum posts
pinkflag16
th0mas wrote:
pinkflag16 wrote:

I looked at Morphagene's manual, and I don't think I can document it properly without owning it and having it in front of me. It's just too complex. So if someone wants to write up, even in text format, the various modes and button combos, I can format it properly and add it to the app.

Quote:

Thanks for the app!

I'm still not sure how to get these into the app properly. I'm not going to copy and paste other content. I guess it would just be a link to the website hosting various patch guides? Maybe in the app / website but just as a separate list? It almost seems like the community is missing a wiki (and people who want to contribute to it...) where right now all the information is stuck in forum posts

Gotcha. For Morphagene, I was thinking something simple like this:

https://www.muffwiggler.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=182134&sid=b09af49ab 3ddb8c08526a62a04b21e1b

I’ve got this saved on my phone, but it would nice to have everything in one place.
miles_macquarrie
Just wanted to say that I bought Modes and it is great. I would also absolutely love something for the Morphagene to be added.
midilifestyle
pinkflag16 wrote:
th0mas wrote:
pinkflag16 wrote:

Quote:

Thanks for the app!

Gotcha. For Morphagene, I was thinking something simple like this:

https://www.muffwiggler.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=182134&sid=b09af49ab 3ddb8c08526a62a04b21e1b

I’ve got this saved on my phone, but it would nice to have everything in one place.

Ooooh. I love this cheat sheet (and I love Modes! Thanks!). I'd be happy if this cheat sheet was included in the app.
th0mas
Hi!

Version 1.6 was just released. It should be available from the Apple Store over the next 24 hours. It adds 3 new modules:
- Make Noise Morphagene
- Mutable Instruments Streams
- Erica Synths Pico Seq

I accidentally lost a little bit of code that was in 1.5 so I think the top/bottom border colours on the module list are a bit incorrect. It'll be fixed in the next release.

If you find any other issues please let me know here or open an issue on github.

If you noticed this release took an extra long time there's a few reasons. My laptop broke and still needs to go back to the Apple Store again. I got sick a few times - nothing serious but it was enough to make me just want to watch TV at night instead of being productive for about a month.

I've also started work on another app, so my time is split between incremental updates to this app and the next app (which is totally unrelated to Modes, it's a modular MIDI sequencer).
pinkflag16
th0mas wrote:
Hi!

Version 1.6 was just released. It should be available from the Apple Store over the next 24 hours. It adds 3 new modules:
- Make Noise Morphagene
- Mutable Instruments Streams
- Erica Synths Pico Seq

I accidentally lost a little bit of code that was in 1.5 so I think the top/bottom border colours on the module list are a bit incorrect. It'll be fixed in the next release.

If you find any other issues please let me know here or open an issue on github.

If you noticed this release took an extra long time there's a few reasons. My laptop broke and still needs to go back to the Apple Store again. I got sick a few times - nothing serious but it was enough to make me just want to watch TV at night instead of being productive for about a month.

I've also started work on another app, so my time is split between incremental updates to this app and the next app (which is totally unrelated to Modes, it's a modular MIDI sequencer).

Thanks! Just got the update.
Abyssinianloop
Watching for Android
th0mas
Abyssinianloop wrote:
Watching for Android

If someone else wants to use the data on github and make an Android app, go for it. I am only going to do iOS and web.
FadingCanvas
Bought the app, great! Little request: can the information about MI Elements mode-changes be included?
th0mas
FadingCanvas wrote:
Bought the app, great! Little request: can the information about MI Elements mode-changes be included?

How about I release an alt firmware that makes it way easier to switch elements modes? I wrote one awhile back, and just recently bought an elements, so after testing it I'll release it! I did a similar one with Rings.
th0mas
HAPPY EASTER!

I just released version 2.0, which adds a patch generator!!!

At the bottom of the module list, tap the new "Generate Patch" button. Modes will now pick a mode at random for all the multi-mode modules active in your module list (you can hide modules you don't own with the edit button from the module list). Pull to refresh to get a new idea.

It just went live to the App Store, so it should be available within the next 24 hours.
bengersfood
th0mas wrote:
FadingCanvas wrote:

How about I release an alt firmware that makes it way easier to switch elements modes? I wrote one awhile back, and just recently bought an elements, so after testing it I'll release it! I did a similar one with Rings.

That would be excellent. Thank you in advance.
nostalghia
th0mas wrote:
(you can hide modules you don't own with the edit button from the module list).

You many have changed this in the new version, or it works differently with the "Generate Patch" function- but it seems like a better way to temporarily hide modules you don't own in the current version would be to tap the "+" button and then use the toggle switches in the "Add Modules" screen to switch off (hide) the ones you don't own.

Using the "Edit" button (rather than "+") brings up "minus" signs next to each listed module, with only the option to delete it. Didn't try it, in case I buy a module I don't own now at some point, as I was worried that once deleted, you can't just unhide it from the list later as it would not be accessible at all. Since I'm making an assumption, can you confirm what happens if you delete a module from the list, using Edit? Can you still get them back later by switching them on using "Add Modules" (+ sign)-will they appear in that list?

By the way, I love your app and use it often for reference. Very handy if it's been awhile since you last used a particular module and forgot how to access a mode or what its parameters are. Especially recommended to Disting users. So big thanks for "Modes", and all the updates.
batch
Just bought the app, nice work!

Can we submit cheat sheets for inclusion?

Would love to see Mother 32, Copper Traces Seek, Metropolis get added amongst many others.
batch
And O_C
th0mas
nostalghia wrote:
th0mas wrote:
(you can hide modules you don't own with the edit button from the module list).

You many have changed this in the new version, or it works differently with the "Generate Patch" function- but it seems like a better way to temporarily hide modules you don't own in the current version would be to tap the "+" button and then use the toggle switches in the "Add Modules" screen to switch off (hide) the ones you don't own.

Oh! That's unfortunate naming on my part. If you "Delete" a module from the list it just hides it, the same as unselecting it under "+". Renamed that red button to "Hide" for the next version, thanks for the feedback smile
FadingCanvas
th0mas wrote:
FadingCanvas wrote:

hihi would be even better hihi
allert
Purchased! Nice work. Are you considering adding more in the future? Here’s my request: Prizma sequencer.
franman69
Just purchased this to try... I'd like a bit more helpful hints on the Morphagene page if possible.. Thanks!
franman69
Yes Prizma and Eloquencer would be nice... hmmm...
Tetrapad
O_C

just ideas...
th0mas
franman69 wrote:
Just purchased this to try... I'd like a bit more helpful hints on the Morphagene page if possible.. Thanks!

Hi, can you elaborate on what you feel is missing? Thanks!

Will add tetrapad to the queue, good idea.
insoul8
Ornament and Crime would be a fantastic one to add. I'm loving the app so far and it has been a huge help compared to when i would keep separate cheat sheets in my Dropbox and fumble through them on my phone. Thanks!
soon_come
Just bought this as well (mostly for the Disting mk4). Thanks!
th0mas
Just released 2.1.

Updated Disting mk4 to firmware 4.12. Added Ornament & Crime stock.

Added Mannequins W/, TipTop Audio ONE and TG ONE (by contributors, thank you!).

Let me know if there's any errors!

Cheers,
Tom
insoul8
This program has been great! Thanks.

It might be kind of useful to add a section that has all the logic truth tables too.
SmartBits
Maybe an idea to add MN René's scales cheatsheet (by user hyperdriver)? I use that quite a lot...:

http://www.hyperexmachina.co.uk/uploads/2/1/6/8/21689608/rene_scales_v 0_91.pdf
th0mas
Just released a new version, with updated Disting firmware to 4.13.
BogartDestructo
Just picked this up...great work sir!

Only have a Morphagene and a couple of Disting MK4’s off the list off modules. Would be nice to see Marbles on there, and also Tetrapads many modes!
carlfunkenn
th0mas wrote:
Hi

Modes is an unofficial phone-friendly cheat sheet for iOS and web.

It currently supports 22 modules/firmwares:

Expert Sleepers:
- Disting mk3
- Disting mk4

Make Noise:
- Morphagene
- Tempi

Mannequins:
- Just Friends
- W/

Mutable Instruments:
- Braids (stock and Renaissance firmware)
- Clouds (stock and Parasites firmware)
- Frames (stock and Parasites)
- Peaks (stock and Dead Man's Catch)
- Plaits
- Streams
- Rings
- Warps (stock and Parasites)

Erica Synths:
- Blackhole DSP 2
- Pico Logic
- Pico Seq

TipTop Audio
- ONE
- TG ONE

Ornament & Crime
- Stock

Search by text or mode type to quickly get the most out of your module. Favorite pages for quicker reference.

Get rid of your binder of printed PDFs, SynthModes is faster and easier to use.

Modes for iOS is not officially endorsed or supported by any modular manufacturer.

Modes lets you see the input/output and parameters of all module modes, and sort them either by order or where applicable, by their module type.

I made this app after being frustrated with the lack of phone friendly manuals for my disting mk4.

It is available on the iOS app store here:
https://itunes.apple.com/ca/app/modes/id1445358435?mt=8

A web version is available at https://synthmodes.com

The cheat sheets are now open source to promote reuse and contribution. You can find them at https://github.com/boourns/synthmodes

Please use this thread for feedback and feature requests on the application. Thanks!

nanners
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules  
Page 1 of 6