MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Information
Happy holidays! Please see the year-end funding drive post in the Announcements subforum. Thanks and all my love to you beautiful people.

Sampler help!
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> General Gear  
Author Sampler help!
Jalopy
I’m looking to get a good versatile sampler and I am down to
Octatrack mk ii
Mpc live

Ultimately, I want to just gig with a 3U and a sampler rather than lugging around my entire rig. Any insights, recommendations, or horror stories y’all care to share? Is there another option I’m not considering?

Thanks!
DiscoDevil
What do you want to do with the sampler? The Pioneer SP-16 is the greatest sample playback machine every made IMO but my needs are pretty basic. It's worth a look depending on your needs.

I've owned 3 octatracks and just about every MPC made including the LIVE and I much, much prefer the workflow on the SP-16 to any of them but it's definitely not as feature rich.
chorus7
Deluge might be an option as well... Pretty basic sampler but its easy to use... you also get an amazing sequencer that has 2xCV and 4xGate for your 3U...
Jalopy
I just familiarized myself with both. Thanks for the recommendations.

I am largely drawn to the unique feature set for extensive sound work on the OT. But I have heard complaints about the workflow...
DiscoDevil
Jalopy wrote:
I just familiarized myself with both. Thanks for the recommendations.

I am largely drawn to the unique feature set for extensive sound work on the OT. But I have heard complaints about the workflow...

If you don't mind being trapped in a tiny LCD screen and having to remember literally dozens of unlabeled multi key combinations to do basic functions, the OT is pretty unbeatable as far as flexibility in sample mangling. I personally think the sound quality is not great, it lacks enough dedicated outputs and the UI on it is terrible but it's incredibly powerful.

The SP-16 lacks some of the sample mangling and sequencing ability of the OT but more than makes up for it in ease of use, UI, workflow, dedicated outputs, analog LP/HP filter and overdrive circuit plus the hardware itself is quality. The pads on it are great and gives you the best of both X0X and MPC style sequencing interface.
zite909
Hi,

If you want a simple & streamlined hardware sampler : elektron digitatk (but it is mono) or the SP-16 are great.

Otherwise the Gotharman little deformer 3 is (to my subjective opinion) the best option. It can be used as a sampler, a polysynth, a sequencer .... so it is a complete studio in one box.

If you dont mind using software, redux may be an alternative.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> General Gear  
Page 1 of 1