MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Information
Happy holidays! Please see the year-end funding drive post in the Announcements subforum. Thanks and all my love to you beautiful people.

Help me learn potential of my three sequencers
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules  
Author Help me learn potential of my three sequencers
deke
I had another post about my sequencers, but realized I should have asked for advice on what I have vs buying something else. I have a SQ-1, Mother 32 and Metropolis. There is no way I am using them alone or together as much as I could, but I find myself sort of aimlessly trying things. I also have an Batumi and Maths (new to me) and other sound sources (Dixie and O-Coast). If anyone has some ideas of different patches I might explore, it would be much appreciated. Perhaps something with randomness or clock dividing? Sequencing a sequencer... Or maybe point me to some interesting videos or other sources where I can learn what the heck I am doing. Give me homework assignments! Sorry if this is noobish neediness, but I'm kind of hitting a wall here.

Here is what I have - I made a huge rack to show my semi mods (mother 32, 0-Coast, SQ-1) in there as well, even though they are not mounted in the rack.

https://www.modulargrid.net/e/racks/view/799917

R.U.Nuts
-Clock a sequencer with a trigger sequence from another sequencer. - Use a third sequencer to reset both.
- Plug the CV outputs of two sequencers into two inputs of a mixer. Plug the mixer 's output into a quantizer. Mess with the mixer' s knobs. Plug an LFO into another input of the Mixer
- plug the gate output of one sequenceuencer into the CV input of a VCA. Plug the gate out of another sequencer into the signal input of that VCA. -AND logic gate
- plug the gate outs of two sequencers into two inputs of a mixer - OR logic
R.U.Nuts
-use the CV output of one sequencer for pitch CV of a VCO. Use the gate out of another sequencer to gate the envelopes of the signal chain the VCO runs through. Clock the CV sequencer faster than the gate sequencer. Set the envelope times so long that they open up for more than one step of the CV sequencer
brandonlogic
do you have a modulargrid link or picture of your system so we can see what all modules your working with?
Parnelli
I have two Mother 32's and often use them for percussion or two opposing bass lines. I'll set them up independently and then trigger them externally with the Run/Stop input. Sometimes I run them both together in a duophonic mode, sometimes with different clocks.

You can set up different sequences on each and use something like a sequential switch to switch between them, making parts to your composition. I haven't used the SQ1 much as I underestimated it and put it away after getting another sequencer. I just pulled it back out and am learning it a bit better, so I'm not great at using it yet.

I think that the thing is to make a master clock and have the rest be slaves of one sort or another... looks kinda like that Metropolis is well suited for that!

The thing is to experiment and learn... I've been months working on timing and making things come together in time; it's a steep hill to climb. I went back to basics and started using a master clock source and logic to get my divisions instead of programming them into a sequencer, basically making my smartest sequencers little more than slaves, but it seem to be working out pretty well for me controlling everything with (boolean) logic. It's really helped me to understand complex rhythms better, gates, flip flops, and how they're used to create them.
deke
R.U.Nuts wrote:
-Clock a sequencer with a trigger sequence from another sequencer. - Use a third sequencer to reset both.
- Plug the CV outputs of two sequencers into two inputs of a mixer. Plug the mixer 's output into a quantizer. Mess with the mixer' s knobs. Plug an LFO into another input of the Mixer
- plug the gate output of one sequenceuencer into the CV input of a VCA. Plug the gate out of another sequencer into the signal input of that VCA. -AND logic gate
- plug the gate outs of two sequencers into two inputs of a mixer - OR logic

Fantastic! Thanks
deke
R.U.Nuts wrote:
-use the CV output of one sequencer for pitch CV of a VCO. Use the gate out of another sequencer to gate the envelopes of the signal chain the VCO runs through. Clock the CV sequencer faster than the gate sequencer. Set the envelope times so long that they open up for more than one step of the CV sequencer

Cool. Thanks!
deke
brandonlogic wrote:
do you have a modulargrid link or picture of your system so we can see what all modules your working with?

I will tomorrow. Thanks
deke
Parnelli wrote:
I have two Mother 32's and often use them for percussion or two opposing bass lines. I'll set them up independently and then trigger them externally with the Run/Stop input. Sometimes I run them both together in a duophonic mode, sometimes with different clocks.

You can set up different sequences on each and use something like a sequential switch to switch between them, making parts to your composition. I haven't used the SQ1 much as I underestimated it and put it away after getting another sequencer. I just pulled it back out and am learning it a bit better, so I'm not great at using it yet.

I think that the thing is to make a master clock and have the rest be slaves of one sort or another... looks kinda like that Metropolis is well suited for that!

The thing is to experiment and learn... I've been months working on timing and making things come together in time; it's a steep hill to climb. I went back to basics and started using a master clock source and logic to get my divisions instead of programming them into a sequencer, basically making my smartest sequencers little more than slaves, but it seem to be working out pretty well for me controlling everything with (boolean) logic. It's really helped me to understand complex rhythms better, gates, flip flops, and how they're used to create them.

Yes I have used metropolis and SQ1 as masters. Metropolis can divide. I think a dedicated small logic module would help me. I really don’t understand what a sequential switch is or does.
deke
brandonlogic wrote:

Here you go - I made a HUGE rack to include my semi mods (mother 32, 0-Coast, SQ-1) in there as well, even though they are not mounted in the rack.

https://www.modulargrid.net/e/racks/view/799917

rew_
use one sequencer as normal, to sequence a voice.

at the same time, use the cv out of another sequencer to sequence a module's parameter values, something besides pitch. e.g. 0-coast overtone or three sisters spread
jsco
think about all the ways you can use outputs from one sequencer to affect the other sequencers.

- the SQ-1 doesn't take many inputs, so it probably makes the most sense in a master or independent configuration.
- the mother-32 has a few gate inputs to control the sequencer (run/stop, reset, hold). these could be fed with gate or CV outputs from another sequencer.
- the metropolis shines because its aux inputs can do a lot. you can punch in a nice melody/theme in the metropolis and mutate it in lots of ways using the other sequencers (or LFOs, etc) to sequence the aux inputs (presumably at a slower clock speed/division).

i like thinking of a sequence as a collection of smaller, overlapping mini-sequences that all kind of relate to each other. for example, by setting sequence length to 4 on the metropolis, you could use the skip buttons to change which 4 notes play on the fly, thus changing the mini-sequence being played. and since most mini-sequences overlap each other to some extent, they will relate to each other musically. (disclaimer: i haven't used metropolis, so i might have the UI details wrong.)

modules i'd recommend:
- pamela's new workout: flexible master clock, plus a lot more.
- branches: super useful way to add randomness to clocks and gates/triggers.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules  
Page 1 of 1